Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

get a Kill-a-Watt and never look back. I test all of my systems with it and use solid PSU's. If I blow it's because something was defective, not because I was over doing it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hmm... I'm about to add 2 6970's to my system and I am running a 850w power supply too. Now you've got me a bit worried.

hmm... I'm about to add 2 6970's to my system and I am running a 850w power supply too. Now you've got me a bit worried.

If it's a good PSU should be fine - I run 2x7950 on a Corsair 750w TX with no issues. I don't have a Kill-a-Watt meter but benchmarks I've seen peg power usage around 680w.

Really a 1000w PSU (assuming it's a good one) should be fine for 3x6970 as well - I think the Newegg tool overestimates how much you need.

i run 3 6950s and a 3930k and my ups shows i pull less then 1kw form the wall so full load its proble about 750-800w my rig pulls form the psu so you should be good whit a 850 if its newish and a good uint

I've got so many comps running here, and all paid for by bitcoins. Most have paid for themselves many many many times over.

I've got so many comps running here, and all paid for by bitcoins. Most have paid for themselves many many many times over.

considering I just dropped a little over $625 I hope litecoins do the same for me.

I rush into the room and smell smoke and immediately shut the computer off. Took me a few hours to tear everything down but it looks like I got lucky as all the hardware looks intact...even the PSU looks ok.

Replace that PSU before it takes out your other components. If you've been mining for a while its earned an honorable burial. :)

Replace that PSU before it takes out your other components. If you've been mining for a while its earned an honorable burial. :)

Heh ya, ive got a Silverstone 1350w on its way from Newegg. The PSU I was using was a BFG 1000w...got really good reviews here on [H], which was the reason I bought it in the first place. Like I said, its had the shit ran out of it with games and whatnot but I guess BF3 or Crysis (back in the 5800 days) don't tax GPUs nearly as much as litecoin mining lol. I guess its also possible that it was just time and it finally died. I am using my other computer in the mean time...though it can't do anything I normally use a computer for...its an i5 with integrated graphics...no gaming or mining for this guy. I guess a couple day hiatus will be good for my schoolwork though, lol.

To clarify, it was three 6970s running, not two...plus a pair of pumps, a fan controller, six fans, two SSDs, a HDD, a BDROM, etc...Just glad the protection circuit did its job...there's even black smoke soot (or whatever you call it) on the backplates of my soundcard and one of the GPUs that was nearest the PSU. Strange though, I cracked open the PSU and can't find any apparent damage.

I've also done something that most of you would probably balk at...but if it works...for even just a month...it will be worth it.

Last edited:
i have 2 7950s and it can get one to get around 550 but the other is 1/2 of that
im mining for litecoin
anyone know why?
thanks!

note, I ran into a similar problem. I added the second card and only increased my hashing speed a little bit (2nd card clocks were like 1/3 the speed and locked). I plugged a monitor cable into the second card, rebooted and all was well. Running Ubuntu here if it makes a difference.

I could buy a good sized house in cash with the 1700 coins I've mined in the past 2 years...had I not sold the vast majority at an average price in the single digits. Silly me. Who would have known?

I feel your pain, same boat here. 7ghs for 1.5yrs.... Got some silver out of it, still waiting on that "investment" to pan out.

note, I ran into a similar problem. I added the second card and only increased my hashing speed a little bit (2nd card clocks were like 1/3 the speed and locked). I plugged a monitor cable into the second card, rebooted and all was well. Running Ubuntu here if it makes a difference.

yeah i believe the cable worked
thanks!

1900 Mhash/s (using readings from Slush's pool) on bitcoin with three HD 7970 pulling about 810 watts from the wall on a goldish PSU.

Last edited:
that sounds about right, i'm guessing OC'd a little or 1ghz edditions

ultra low power setting ULPS

the bane of the bitcoin miner

if I had a coin for every time I have gone through the regristry disabling ULPS...oh, wait...

lol yet im lost
is it a good thing? ULPS i mean

any for guiminer does anyone know the flag to make it so your display isn't so laggy?
i did it a while back, thanks!

Last edited:
lol yet im lost
is it a good thing? ULPS i mean

any for guiminer does anyone know the flag to make it so your display isn't so laggy?
i did it a while back, thanks!

lower the intensity

I actually have not had trouble with ULPS in a couple AMD driver updates now. Used to be if an actual video application was not detected the secondary card would severely downclock. So every time you updated drivers you had to search the registry and change all ULPS values from 1 to 0.

so ULPS lowers the power draw but does the has rate still stay the same?

damn, a lot of the pools have been under ddos attacks the last 12 hours or so.. it's really eating into my ability to mine.

what tools do you use to see this information?...i know nothing about multi-gpus...

usually the one closest to the CPU is 0 and they count up as you move to the edge of the board

you can monitor temps and load in CCC

do you guys think a corsair ax750 could pull 3x 7950 + i7 3930k and a few hdd all at stock or should i move up?

do you guys think a corsair ax750 could pull 3x 7950 + i7 3930k and a few hdd all at stock or should i move up?

ipersonally wouldn't trust it. but then again i ordered a 1250 to replace my 850 yesterday when i ordered 2 more gpus so I may just be paranoid.

I've run 3 6950 on it before though, eh so difficult lol
Lire coin difficulty went up

yeah i believe the cable worked
thanks!

Good to hear it worked for you too! Your card is much better than mine. I'm stuck at around 460khps. My Sapphire does a lot better than the XFX temp wise. Low 70s for the former (with a slight oc) and 85 for the latter.

Last edited:
Got about 5 LTC. I looked at btc-e and while It looks easy to convert to dollars or BTC I am at a loss as to how to get it out. I am used to tradehill dowalla (that should show my age)

Got about 5 LTC. I looked at btc-e and while It looks easy to convert to dollars or BTC I am at a loss as to how to get it out. I am used to tradehill dowalla (that should show my age)

I use BTC-E quite a lot and the best route to convert whatever you want to BTC, shoot it over to Mt Gox, convert to cash there, then sent to Dwolla and then to your bank account.

You can convert to US Dollars At BTC-E but the is really no good option for getting that money out into your pocket. Who really wants a Visa debit card with 100 dollars on it?

So I'm having a problem where one of my GPUs will not come out of low power mode to mine unless there is a monitor connected to it....which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have another exact same GPU in this system with no monitor and it runs just fine.
I have disabled ULPS via the registry, but still no dice.

What else can i do?

So I'm having a problem where one of my GPUs will not come out of low power mode to mine unless there is a monitor connected to it....which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have another exact same GPU in this system with no monitor and it runs just fine.
I have disabled ULPS via the registry, but still no dice.

What else can i do?

Do a google search or search around bitcointalk.org...there is something you can make that you connect to a video out port on the card to trick it into thinking there is a monitor connected. Though you could try just connecting the cable....don't think that will do it though as no circuit is being established.

Back