Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

Yes it is a problem with stopping and restarting. Stops fine and wont restart. lol Yea surprised me. All is well but I would still really like to know what happened.

I have not found a mining-friendly solution for this problem, so maybe someone here has a fix.

I had an extra 5830 not being used, so I installed it in my main HTPC. I have it up and running (only at ~260 MH/s, seems low, but not the issue right now). However, when you start Windows Media Center, my clocks of 900/300 on the 5830 change to 400/900 when watching OTA TV. I have seen that the codec used forces this, but is there a way to override this and continue to use the 3d clocks? It changes it to the 2d clocks used for flash and TV apparently. It drops the hashing down to ~80, which is pretty ridiculous.

I have not found a mining-friendly solution for this problem, so maybe someone here has a fix.

I had an extra 5830 not being used, so I installed it in my main HTPC. I have it up and running (only at ~260 MH/s, seems low, but not the issue right now). However, when you start Windows Media Center, my clocks of 900/300 on the 5830 change to 400/900 when watching OTA TV. I have seen that the codec used forces this, but is there a way to override this and continue to use the 3d clocks? It changes it to the 2d clocks used for flash and TV apparently. It drops the hashing down to ~80, which is pretty ridiculous.

I have no problems with flash and hash rate using cgminer in Windows. At most my hash will drop while watching a 1080p stream is probably 40-80mhash/sec.

I started mining with my 7970 today. I've been mining for about 3 hours and have mined 0.04 BTC at BTCGuild. That looks like 0.32 BTC/Day, which is far lower than others are reporting with far inferior graphics cards. I'm getting 668 MHash/Sec. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I started mining with my 7970 today. I've been mining for about 3 hours and have mined 0.04 BTC at BTCGuild. That looks like 0.32 BTC/Day, which is far lower than others are reporting with far inferior graphics cards. I'm getting 668 MHash/Sec. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Difficulty has been on the rise lately, though my past 24 hour earn at BTC Guild is .3 BTC for about 400 mhash...

At 668MH/s at current difficulty, you should be getting about 0.49 BTC/day.

Luck has a lot to do with it, though, and you have to deduct your stale share percentage (should be 1% or less) as well as the fees you pay to your pool (5% at BTCGuild). So your actual rate should average out right around 0.47 BTC/day.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1334.1040

An updated windows binary is supposed to be on its way today. But basically it was a code bug in the miner that expressed itself with the latest difficulty increase.

Well hello!

I'm new here! But nevertheless i think i have managed to fix poclbm on guiminer again so we won't get the unexpected error messages when crunching.
Atleast my fix did it for me and i'm happy.

Go to my website http://vyper.kafit.se and download my quick and dirty fix for guiminer to make it possible to use a ATI card again without diverting to phoenix miner which has lower performance.

Kind regards Vyper

P.S As usual, make a backup of your existing guiminer and please post if it's not working as intended.. Thanks D.S

Well hello!

I'm new here! But nevertheless i think i have managed to fix poclbm on guiminer again so we won't get the unexpected error messages when crunching.

Go to my website http://vyper.kafit.se and download my quick and dirty fix for guiminer to make it possible to use a ATI card again without diverting to phoenix miner which has lower performance.

Kind regards Vyper

P.S As usual, make a backup of your existing guiminer and please post if it's not working as intended.. Thanks D.S

Yeah, I don't think so. Anybody brave enough to actually click that link?

Hey!

I am legit and so is my site!
A real human being and i usually run seti@home.

Check me out at s@h and the site at google , you won't get any hits.
And i'm not forcing anyone either!

Just wanted to help out others stuck with guiminer just like me so i fixed my guiminer catalogue and uploaded it.
Nothing other than that.

Kind regards Vyper

If your going off BTCGuilds calculations it take longer than 3 hours for their BTC/Day to show up with proper figures. I'd say about 10 hours and it will be close to right. With calculating it yourself you have to remember that some blocks take longer to find than others. So in that 3 hour period they might have only found 3 blocks. Sometimes in a 3 hour time frame they could find 1 every 10 to 15 minutes, thus making your payout much more. Deepbit calculator shows you should be getting .44 btc/day which should be true for all larger pools.

If your going off BTCGuilds calculations it take longer than 3 hours for their BTC/Day to show up with proper figures. I'd say about 10 hours and it will be close to right. With calculating it yourself you have to remember that some blocks take longer to find than others. So in that 3 hour period they might have only found 3 blocks. Sometimes in a 3 hour time frame they could find 1 every 10 to 15 minutes, thus making your payout much more. Deepbit calculator shows you should be getting .44 btc/day which should be true for all larger pools.

BTC Guild went to PPS a while back... so they have no variance.

Alright here is my mining OP:

BitClockers25GHashMining.jpg

Hey!

I am legit and so is my site!
A real human being and i usually run seti@home.

Check me out at s@h and the site at google , you won't get any hits.
And i'm not forcing anyone either!

Just wanted to help out others stuck with guiminer just like me so i fixed my guiminer catalogue and uploaded it.
Nothing other than that.

Kind regards Vyper

No problem, just that you were a 1 day old poster that people are suspicious. Why do people use guiminer though? Isn't cgminer much more efficient?

Easy to use and is capable of a ton of stuff. You can handle all of your card overclocking and fan speed control with a bunch of pool failover options all in cgminer.

Does CGminer have an easy to use interface?

Easy to use and powerful scripting at your finger tips so that you can set it and forget it. You don't even need it interface with it. Who needs an interface? Write one script and start a scheduled task and you won't need to interface with it again. I get about 20-30 more MH/s with cgminer than I ever did with Phoenix or GUIMiner.

You asked why do people use guiminer. The answer is because of the interface. Most people HATE dealing with scripts. I'm not saying right or wrong or better or worse, I'm saying people HATE dealing with scripts.

One of my 5870's blew up after a week of mining :(
Hoping HIS will do an RMA for a 1.5 year old 5870 2GB bought in Aus.
Knowing my luck they will send me a 5570 as a replacement or some crap.
Pretty sure a cap has blown on it or something.
The other card is fine and I have it in another PC running at 1GHz w/ 1.2V.
What max voltage would you guys recommend for 24/7 mining bearing in mind I am under 70'C at 1.2V?
Haven't OC'ed ATi cards much.

One of my 5870's blew up after a week of mining :(
Hoping HIS will do an RMA for a 1.5 year old 5870 2GB bought in Aus.
Knowing my luck they will send me a 5570 as a replacement or some crap.
Pretty sure a cap has blown on it or something.
The other card is fine and I have it in another PC running at 1GHz w/ 1.2V.
What max voltage would you guys recommend for 24/7 mining bearing in mind I am under 70'C at 1.2V?
Haven't OC'ed ATi cards much.

That's extraordinarily bad luck. I've had about 12 5870s over the past while mining here and there and no blow ups.

Yeah I just acquired the cards back after I sold them last year and made a deal to get them back for mining barely 2 weeks ago.

I sold 2x 295's and 2x GTX 460 for 2x 5870 2GB + $300.
The rest of my nvidia cards probably won't get sold and new mining cards will be bought with BTC earnings or other income.
I feel the 5xxx cards offer the best performance for the price.

Well hello!

Kind regards Vyper

funny - why did my Avira find TR/Monitor.A.1 virus trojan? in the bitcoin miner.exe program?

the fact you are a noob posting links, and your files contain a virus, I'm going to call bullshit/troll/theif/whatever

i moved to GUIminer using phoenix.exe

Getting ~750Mhash/sec with my 6950+6970 overclocked to 900Mhz stable @ 1.131V

I doubt the non phoenix GUI miner could offer much more in terms of efficiency.

I'm getting 400 Mhash from my 6950 (unlocked) @ 900 Mhz

You're doing something wrong... more than likely have crossfire enabled still...

The 6990 should be able to do 800 alone.

Check your settings and make sure you have 3 versions of Phoenix running, 2 for each chip on your 6990 and one for the 6970.

I'm getting 400 Mhash from my 6950 (unlocked) @ 900 Mhz

You're doing something wrong... more than likely have crossfire enabled still...

The 6990 should be able to do 800 alone.

Check your settings and make sure you have 3 versions of Phoenix running, 2 for each chip on your 6990 and one for the 6970.

not sure who that was directed to? since I was the most recent responder to the thread.

I don't have a 6990 -- i said 6950+6970.

My unlocked 6950 is getting 395.8 Mhash/sec (so 400) @ 900Mhz. I think we are right on par with each other :)

Damn... totally read that as 6990 (as in Trifire), sorry man.

Never post a reply @ 5am when you just got off work and are tired as hell.

Last edited:
Hmm, back below $5. Think I'm going back to hoarding mode for a while.

Hmm, back below $5. Think I'm going back to hoarding mode for a while.

Hoarding and not selling but are you still mining?

I have about 100 BTC hoarded up since the price fell from $7. Not sure if I should sell.

Back