Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

I think I am going to hang the rigs in the furnace cold air return duct for the winter

please tell us you have additional ways to pay for your schooling beside mining...

Wish I did but I don't. I had to quit my job to attend my course for which tuition costs $17,000. I could speculate on the stock market with my savings but that's just as unpredictable. The other option is to sell my car.

Therefore mining while I am sleeping or at school or studying is the only way I have right now to make money on the side to pay for things like food and rent.

Send em to me. I'll crunch under your name and only charge for power.

I'll be redoing my water setup and should have most of it up and running shortly, minus one 6950 promised to a friend and one 5770. Not sure what will happen to the 5770, maybe a gaming comp for my nephews?

Surprisingly my electric bill only went up $40 a month and that is almost 6 GH/s.

So even @ $5/BTC, I pay my electricity costs in about 3 days/30 days at the worst luck so it's still 90% profit for me.

I'm paying about $0.045 per KW/H, you? that sounds really for a 6GH/s setup.

Where the heck do you guys live lol. I'm paying like $0.11 per KW/H.

yeah, thats the average around where I live in central Ohio
I send my BTC rigs home with a coworker that pay like .06 and he just runs them in a spare bedroom..

I wish I had $.11 electric here, in northern NJ its $.18 after delivery charges & such :eek: Makes it just about impossible to mine for a profit with BTC prices so low

$0.08/kWh here, though I'm insanely jealous of they guy getting $0.0045 :mad:
Thankfully, I get $0.00/kWh at the office >.>

$0.08/kWh here, though I'm insanely jealous of they guy getting $0.0045 :mad:
Thankfully, I get $0.00/kWh at the office >.>

0.075 here in TX, then I get slapped with a 50% surcharge for a delivery fee for smart meters? I live in apt complex, no smart meters here. :mad:

Removed 'cause someone bit on craigslist (that was fast).
Screenshot added:
5870mining.jpg

Last edited:
O man things don't bode well for us when Lorien gets out of bitcoin lol.

I maybe selling off my farm too. I'm in need of some money

Lorien stops mining = not a good sign for the mining business.

In a totally different note,i have to stop mining for 3-4 days as i've sold the Hawk and waiting for the 6950 DCII 1GB to arrive.Hopefully it's unlockable.

let me know how you do on that, i've got 4 and so for the one I've taken time to try hasn't unlocked but not sure if it's me or the card.

Can't be sure about whether it's unlockable or not.I let a friend of mine do it since he's better than me in computer knowledge (meaning i'm too lazy to flash a BIOS on my own). :p

I'd still be mining but the thing is I made over 75% of my profits before I even invested on mining equipment. I was gearing up to expand, having bought new hardware (5PCI-e slot mobo, ram, cpu, 1x 5850) when coins were at ~$8, then the drop to ~$5 happened. I ran the numbers and saw that margins were just too thin since the time required to make that profit increased. By selling the hardware I don't need I will make more cash in a far shorter period of time. I'm probably being too bearish but only time will tell if pulling out was right.

I'm gearing up for winter (assuming bitcoin is still here). As our resident PSU tester once said, "a watt is a watt" If I work on making my rigs quite enough to bring into the bedroom then I'm simply investing in space heaters that pay you back.

This is very true^

too bad I get free heat at my apartment... well i mean it's a good thing but because of it I can't look at that as a perk... On a side note, I'm still mining with my 8 video cards (2GH/s) I probably wont stop until i've recouped cost and then sell the hardware for profit. Right now that may take awhile since I've only mined 20BTC

Yeah I'll probably revisit things when winter weather has set in. I tolerate Fall weather pretty well here in Chicago so these are the months when both my central air and furnace are off (except for whatever hot water is needed) and my savings pile up. Having my mining rigs running would only eat into those savings.

P.S: Bleh, here I am talking up a bearstorm and coins have jumped to $5.4 ><

Last edited:
Sadly, Ive had to point my rigs away from Simplecoin.. At least until the end of the month..

Having only earned ~11 coins (Out of what should be about 26 by now) this month, thatll barely cover the electric bill.. But ill be back as soon as I get my other 2 rigs built and running.. Should be about 4.8GHash

I'm sticking with mining for a while. Haven't sold any coins since I started, so I'm just looking to hoard a nice number until I'm satisfied, then wait and see what happens with the price.

I've also not sold my BTC since I started mining with my 2 new rigs... anything below $10 I can't justify, I've debated selling some to cover eletric but i'll probably just keep them and see where we are at next summer...

Sadly, Ive had to point my rigs away from Simplecoin.. At least until the end of the month..

Having only earned ~11 coins (Out of what should be about 26 by now) this month, thatll barely cover the electric bill.. But ill be back as soon as I get my other 2 rigs built and running.. Should be about 4.8GHash

I feel you. It's killing me too. Add server costs into the mix and I think the past month is quite a loss.

That said, I should have the new site and proportional pool up in the next day or so. Following that I'll be adding a maxpps pool and various other coins with the same pool options. All still at 0 fees.

Most of the new pool backend is already running, I just haven't finished the UI or miner port proxy.

I additionally intend to offer merged mining, automatic most profitable coin mining, and a follow the luckiest pool option.

After that.... well, I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Back