Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

Sooo, big storms here in Chicago knocking down trees all over the place. Two houses over, an old oak tree tipped over (ripped from the roots) and took down with it a bunch of utility cables including the electric and interwebnetcollectionoftubes. COMED came out and patched everything up ~3 hours ago. Bitched at comcrap on the phone for the downtime since I have a business connection and got a $25 credit to my account which will more than cover the mining time lost.

Back to mining now:
oldminer.jpg

Last edited:
BITCOIN SCAMMER

scammer purchased bitcoin and paid with paypal, after receiving the bitcoin, creates a dispute with paypal *Unauthorized Claim* and paypal blocks the transfer.

bitcoin address - 18oJScESAFpSuzoiby6i5Wb9ZftSvANUMB

Hope you didn't lose much. It's been known paypal doesn't have protection for bitcoin transactions.

I might get luck and pick up an old batch which wasn't laser-cut.No one sells the 6950 due to BTC mining.

You mean reference 6950s? 'Cuz there's 6950s for sale all over the place. Hell, Newegg's got about 20 different ones to choose from.

Pretty sure the lack of reference 6950s is because companies aren't making them any more.

one assumes sales are final and transactions are safe.. wont get caught again.

Why would you assume that when there is zero seller protection through PayPal for something like digital currency. If it's not a tangible item that you can ship and show proof of delivery then don't expect not to get screwed if the buyer decides to open a claim because it will be an automatic reversal.

how is kw/h calculated? like $0.08 per kw/h. for every kw you consume in an hour, you pay .08 for it?

so if my PC is pulling ~600w constant while mining, thats what exactly in terms of $ per kw/h?

dood what's up with that, I'm down 25% on my "24 hour rewards" in the last two days, hashing more than ever?

edit/ oh man...it just gets worse...we are sucking balls right now

Noticed that too. I added 700MH/s capacity Thurs evening and have not moved in terms of 24 hr rewards.

Rewards seem to be recovering, but our luck...still -7.4, ouch... but better than earlier, there was one point I think there were only like 9 blocks pending confirmation

Just wondering if anyone has seen a problem with guiminer and BTC guild. I have a dual 6950 mATX system that goes to "connection problems" every few hours but then all I do is stop/ start then everything works again. same configs as the other boxen and this is on a fresh Win7 installation.

BITCOIN SCAMMER

scammer purchased bitcoin and paid with paypal, after receiving the bitcoin, creates a dispute with paypal *Unauthorized Claim* and paypal blocks the transfer.

I ran into a similar situation. Paypal did end up giving my money back after 3 weeks of being on hold. I sent proof of sending the BTC, proof that the guy was trying to buy more off me through ebay messages, and proof that he left good feedback for the coins.

I know I was in the wrong for selling the digital goods. I learned my lesson.

I've run into too many problems with paypal lately. Way too many people scamming. Even with tangible goods. I was lucky with this one, Paypal almost always rules in the buyers favor. That coupled with ebay/paypal fees totaling out to ~16%, I decided to just close out both accounts.

Okay I've done a decent amount of reading on bitcoins and maybe I'm just reading all the wrong places because I still feel like I'm missing some fundamentals. I want to dive in with the five computers I've already got running at my house (one per family member). They all have 5770s except for my 6950 and are always on anyway. I find plenty of setup information, but what I haven't been able to find in a clear and concise way is a lot of "whys."

*Why would I want to join a pool when I could have my own little pool here?
*How do I set things up to where my PCs are working together and not just a bunch of solo boxes? (Unless I want them to be solo boxes?)
*I know they each have a wallet file, but do I now somehow link them all to one online bank?

Etc. If anyone has links that cover this at a high level I'd appreciate it. I used to fold and do other types of distributed computing so I can figure it out once I learn WHY I would want to do things a certain way.

*Why would I want to join a pool when I could have my own little pool here?

It'll take a very long time (months/year) to solve just one block when you solo mine. Pools make it so you're getting pieces at a time instead of a lump sum. Also consider having a backup pool in case your main pool goes down.

*How do I set things up to where my PCs are working together and not just a bunch of solo boxes? (Unless I want them to be solo boxes?)

Once you join a pool you need to make a worker. All you do is make as many workers as you have gpus and have them all working under 1 pool account.

*I know they each have a wallet file, but do I now somehow link them all to one online bank?

This shouldn't matter because if you are in a pool all of your workers will be mining for 1 account.

Etc. If anyone has links that cover this at a high level I'd appreciate it. I used to fold and do other types of distributed computing so I can figure it out once I learn WHY I would want to do things a certain way.

I started with the Bitcoin newbie FAQ. http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9430.0

Okay I now have four machines in the BTCGuild pool so there's my baseline. Now to start the optimization. :D I still don't get how the wallet works though, I put my bitcoin address into the "Change wallet address" part of BTCGuild?

EDIT: Okay I think I got this. My five machines are using guiminer in the BTCGuild pool, I signed up for a wallet on mybitcoin.com and then placed that wallet address in the wallet address field of btcguild.com? Then my machines upload the work to btcguild, it pays out to mybitcoin.com, then I cash in ?

Last edited:
I signed up for a wallet on mybitcoin.com and then placed that wallet address in the wallet address field of btcguild.com? Then my machines upload the work to btcguild, it pays out to mybitcoin.com, then I cash in ?

You shouldn't have to sign up for a wallet address. Download the bitcoin app/program and install it on your main pc. It generates an address for you that unique to your machine and only your machine. Each transaction you do generates a new wallet address but your old wallet address is still linked to your original wallet.

Sounds like you are coming along. Unless you are happy with newegg gift cards and alpaca socks at some point you have to cross the rubicon into the conventional banking system...denominated in Federal Reserve Notes. The exchanges deal with the currency conversion and there are some different ways to enter the banking system, dwolla seems to be a popular one.

yep. The way I do it is setup workers at deepbit (your pool is fine too), setup an account with mtgox (tradehill is fine too), setup an account with dwolla(other options available) and link dwolla with my bank account (a seperate one I use for on-line only). What I get paid by my pool sits in my pool till I am ready to cash out, usually around 3 coins. Then I send it directly to my MtGox account, which can take 10min's or so. Once it shows up in MtGox, I sell the coins and send the money to my dwolla account and then from dwolla to my bank account. Now the transactions from MtGox to Dwolla and from Dwolla to my bank can take a couple days on occasion and is normal.

I haven't touched my actual wallet in a long time.

Hello [H] miners,

Not sure why I haven't posted this here before now....
If you want a pool run by a [H] forum member, as well as the creator of the pool frontend:

Join me at https://simplecoin.us

Hello [H] miners,

If you want a pool run by a [H] forum member, as well as the creator of the pool frontend:

Nice! Think I'll switch my miners over and give it a shot.

A little concerned about the server load, though. Under 10GH/s and it's showing server load of "mid". If people from the [H] jump on, are you going to have server load issues?

Nice! Think I'll switch my miners over and give it a shot.

A little concerned about the server load, though. Under 10GH/s and it's showing server load of "mid". If people from the [H] jump on, are you going to have server load issues?

The higher load is caused by background scripts. It should scale. Plus I've already got a 2nd sql server online and am constantly working on scalability.

On initial launch I had close to 100GH on a smaller server with no issues..

Why they you would need AMD Stream SDK ?
I have done with out those with 11.5 Driver to 11.6 Drivers
So what I am missing ?

Why they you would need AMD Stream SDK ?
I have done with out those with 11.5 Driver to 11.6 Drivers
So what I am missing ?

Not quite sure what you're asking, but the Stream drivers are included in the various Catalyst releases. You only need to download the SDK separately if you want to run a version of Stream that's different from what's included with the drivers.

yep. The way I do it is setup workers at deepbit (your pool is fine too), setup an account with mtgox (tradehill is fine too), setup an account with dwolla(other options available) and link dwolla with my bank account (a seperate one I use for on-line only). What I get paid by my pool sits in my pool till I am ready to cash out, usually around 3 coins. Then I send it directly to my MtGox account, which can take 10min's or so. Once it shows up in MtGox, I sell the coins and send the money to my dwolla account and then from dwolla to my bank account. Now the transactions from MtGox to Dwolla and from Dwolla to my bank can take a couple days on occasion and is normal.

I haven't touched my actual wallet in a long time.

So mybitcoin.com is essentially an extra unnecessary step then. And in terms of having a backup pool, if BTCGuild is down for say a day does that mean all my work is wasted for that day? I'd think the work would continue locally and then just get updated when the pool comes back online, but maybe I don't fully grasp it yet.

So mybitcoin.com is essentially an extra unnecessary step then. And in terms of having a backup pool, if BTCGuild is down for say a day does that mean all my work is wasted for that day? I'd think the work would continue locally and then just get updated when the pool comes back online, but maybe I don't fully grasp it yet.

I'd recommend a miner with failover support. That way you can have other pools ready if your main goes down. I know hashkill & cgminer support failover.

if it can't get it's work from the pool then it just sits idle. But you can set it up to work on a second pool incase the main goes down.

Not quite sure what you're asking, but the Stream drivers are included in the various Catalyst releases. You only need to download the SDK separately if you want to run a version of Stream that's different from what's included with the drivers.

I was reading ATi user need this software called AMD Stream SDK.
Now I have a Catalyst ver 11.6(Suite). They do not say any thing
about AMD Steam SDK, so I guess I am running minner without AMD Stream SDK ?
So that in mind what I am missing here ?

I was reading ATi user need this software called AMD Stream SDK.
Now I have a Catalyst ver 11.6(Suite). They do not say any thing
about AMD Steam SDK, so I guess I am running minner without AMD Stream SDK ?
So that in mind what I am missing here ?

It comes bundled in the catalyst suites and installs automatically unless you do an advanced install and tell it not to.

o ok
heeee
I always do advance installation but only remove games and Survey stuff
Thanks
I understand now :)

Hello [H] miners,

I'm hashing over there now, username Real, doesn't seem to be showing my hashrate though, i've already submitted about 30 shares and it still says 0 mh/s

I'm hashing over there now, username Real, doesn't seem to be showing my hashrate though, i've already submitted about 30 shares and it still says 0 mh/s

Takes a minute for the memcache to expire. Any large stat queries can cache for a few minutes.

And thanks for joining. The hashes are much appreciated.

yeah seems to be working now, the rate of finding blocks on this site seems incredibly slow judging by the pool stats, needs more users

Back