Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

lol never! I've been playing my games on an old AMD quad / gtx 260 because i refuse to have any mining down time.

My trifire eyefinity rig just sits next to me crying that it doesn't get used anymore.

maybe if I invest in more mining hardware I wont feel so bad about shutting down a 3rd of my mining production and i can play some games on it lol.

Now i just wish 5830s would pop up again. I have a feeling ill have to move over to 6990s if i want to expand.

were you using the uk one? I was and lost a nights work :(

You can set up a backup, at least in GUIMiner by setting up two workers and having one have a lower Aggression or higher f value than your main worker. That way if the main goes down you can "fall back" to the other one automagically. <-- what I should have done lol

Or just set them with the same aggression. If everything's normal, it'll just split things pretty much 50/50 between servers. That's what I'm doing on mine right now between US Central and US West on BTC Guild.

Or just set them with the same aggression. If everything's normal, it'll just split things pretty much 50/50 between servers. That's what I'm doing on mine right now between US Central and US West on BTC Guild.
hmm i supose that would work aswell :)

maybe if I invest in more mining hardware I wont feel so bad about shutting down a 3rd of my mining production and i can play some games on it lol.

Now i just wish 5830s would pop up again. I have a feeling ill have to move over to 6990s if i want to expand.

Medium and large scale miners have started to sell their entire operations because the period to see any meaningful ROI is too long. Check it out for yourself: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?board=51.0

Ditto.

hehe ouch, 6990s will cost a pretty penny-- i mean bitcoin!

Ya if i keep an eye out and buy them from egg and not ebay they wont be too bad. I think it ends up being cheaper because i would have to buy less mobo, cpu, ram, psu combos.

Ya if i keep an eye out and buy them from egg and not ebay they wont be too bad. I think it ends up being cheaper because i would have to buy less mobo, cpu, ram, psu combos.

I did the math assuming all the cards are overclocked and you pay newegg prices. The 5830 builds come out to 1.3Mhash per dollar and the 6990 build comes out to 1Mhash per dollar.

Egg has an ETA on the 5830s of july 4th. I wish i was in town or newegg would take pre-orders.

I did the math assuming all the cards are overclocked and you pay newegg prices. The 5830 builds come out to 1.3Mhash per dollar and the 6990 build comes out to 1Mhash per dollar.

Egg has an ETA on the 5830s of july 4th. I wish i was in town or newegg would take pre-orders.

Just remember, we'll be into the next difficulty by the time you would get those cards.

ya the next difficulty is going to be pretty minor though. If difficulty continued to jump 50% i wouldn't consider it but looks like the next few jumps are just going to be a few %.

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy mining hardware and start fresh but with ~3.2Ghash of power behind me already i can recoup small investments much faster than some one who's just mining on the machine they just bought.

Dude that's nothing, look what this guy did:
:D :D :D
Went all out and just maxed out my CC on new video cards (over $30K)

Txyqn.jpg

He was of course trolling lol

My MSI open box Twin Frozr 5850 came in today. Nice deal for $148 shipped. More mining for me at a decent price. Ordered a new 6950 today for $239 with 60 dollar newegg giftcard from turning in bitcoins and it has a 25 MIR too. As long as I pay off those two cards with bitcoins in the next month or so I am ahead of the game.

i wonder when he bought all that. i hope he gets free power, or else I would hate to see the power bill to try to keep that place cool. that many GPUs would generate some serious heat.

Well, no way he's getting "free" power. If he is indeed running ~400 computers, figuring even at 500W pulled from the wall each (though it's probably more than that...hopefully he's running them on 240V for the extra couple points of efficiency), that's 200,000W. That's like 1000A service at 240V. Nobody's footing the bill for that kind of power consumption without getting some serious rent in return. Gotta think he's running that in a well ventilated warehouse or something 'cuz that would take a pretty hefty AC unit to remove that kind of heat.

i wonder when he bought all that. i hope he gets free power, or else I would hate to see the power bill to try to keep that place cool. that many GPUs would generate some serious heat.

the bitcoinage will cover it ...

for now...lol

My 6950 is paid for now. Problem is I bought myself a 92FS so now its time to try to pay for that with coins, lol. :D

Well if he planned things ahead of time he probably won't have to worry about turning on the furnace during the winter.

How do you like the 92fs? I've always wanted an inox one.

Won't know til Friday, haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. Anyways to get back on subject, my board should be back from MSI on Friday. Think I can run an i7 930 @ stock, a hdd, 3x2gb of ram, 2 overclocked 6850s and an overclocked 5770 off an antec earthwatts 650? I think it might be worth a shot. I'm more worried about my case having enough expansion slots.

Won't know til Friday, haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. Anyways to get back on subject, my board should be back from MSI on Friday. Think I can run an i7 930 @ stock, a hdd, 3x2gb of ram, 2 overclocked 6850s and an overclocked 5770 off an antec earthwatts 650? I think it might be worth a shot. I'm more worried about my case having enough expansion slots.

That's what a motherboard box is for. :D

It'll depend on how it's spaced. I added another 5850 to my main machine and took out the 5770 in there. If only the 5770 was a single slot card it might have fit on the bottom pci-e slot. My psu sits on the bottom so it's a no go for me. I'm at 950 mhash/s with those three cards now.

Has anyone had any problems with Slushs pool lately? I feel like I should be getting about 15-20% more BTC for my hash rate..

It may have been a server overload. I've since reconfigured that if the East server disconnects that my miners fall back to the West server, and I may add the Central server if I still have problems.

I've had problems with btcguild last night. Lost 3 hours of not connecting.

[ The patched bitcoind did not contain a special command that I added to the old bitcoind (listgenerations rather than listtransactions). This meant when US West solved a round, the pool couldn't match it to a block, so it just kept going with a new round, causing a backlog of a few blocks. The way the pools synchronize the rounds means that it simply shifted the order of the block finds around. ]

I said:

In fact, I do have a point to make. Mtgox almost certainly lied in their story about what happened with the hacker. They claimed that a hacker broke into one user account, which had 400,000+ bitcoins in it. In fact, this is how many bitcoins all of their user accounts combined have, which means that the hacker somehow got control of ALL of mtgox's bitcoins,and then turned around and sold them.

Which shouldn't even be possible, since this sale would likely have doubled the number of bitcoins which mtgox had on their books. The hacker did far more than get access to a user account, he found some serious flaw which allowed him to completely compromise the system.

Since it appears that mtgox is lying in their public statements of what's going on, it would be a good idea for anyone involved to watch them to see what's actually going on. So I'm pointing to what looks to me like the begining of a major exodus of users and bitcoins from the mtgox system.

So far, it would appear that only 3% of the bitcoins in Mtgox have been withdrawn, which is not any sort of crisis for them. If this rate of withdrawal continues, it certainly will be.

Lorien replied:

That's a nice summary of every conspiracy theory alarmist troll thread from the main forums. Good job!

Oh Lorien, you might wanna read this:

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20110630.html

On June 20th at approximately 3:00am JST (Japan Time), an unknown person logged in to the compromised admin account, and with the permissions of that account was able to arbitrarily assign himself a large number of Bitcoins, which he subsequently sold on the exchange, driving the price from $17.50 to $0.01 within the span of 30 minutes. With the price low, the thief was able to make a larger withdrawal (approximately 2000 BTC) before our security measures stopped further action.

Conspiracy theory, eh?

Damn I wish was in the states for this, I wanna mine some lol, just a few to hold onto

Back