Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

Well, using the latest GUIminer (with all the listed tweaks) and the latest AMD Catalyst 11.7 preview with APP 2.5, I'm now getting 890Mhash/s out of my 6970s at 1GHz.

:D
Nice. I'm at 920MH/s (~460MH/s per card) @950Core.
image3wd.jpg

Last edited:
How do you set fallbacks? or is it automatic?

You have to specify it in the extra flags

Fallback support in poclbm/OpenCL miner:

In the flags, specify the --backup argument with the info of the backup pool. For example if I want to fallback to my account on slush's pool, I would write:

--backup=Kiv.GPU:[email protected]:8332

That's all you need for basic fallback support. You can tweak it with these options:

--failback=N attempt to fail back to the primary pool every n getworks, default 2
--tolerance=N use fallback pool only after N consecutive connection errors, default 2

In the future this might be more tightly integrated into the GUI but I don't want to make the GUI too complicated for things that a lot of users don't need.

Impressive, wish I wasn't out of town this weekend, dont want to risk doing driver updates remotely and lose out on days of mining if something goes wrong for some reason. But you can be sure I'm updating as soon as I get back...
I wouldn't risk updating remotely, the performance increases are more a result of the kernel tweaks and playing with different extra flags rather than just updating the miner.

In the future this might be more tightly integrated into the GUI but I don't want to make the GUI too complicated for things that a lot of users don't need.

That would actually be nice. A behind the scenes one would work too. Say for BTCGuild (any), have it with it's own integrated fallback to a different btcguild server. So if central goes down it will automatically switch until it finds one that works.

BTCguild is having a problem right now where a server goes down and I end up having to change it manually only to find out that one doesn't work either. I will try the flags though and see if that helps.

ps. If it is integrated make a BTCguild US (any) and BTCguild EUR (any) so that we can stay in our own country.

Consolidated list of updates and tweaks:

POCLBM and Phatk kernel optimization by bitless: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=22965.0

Find and edit the kernel.cl file with any text editor and replace this line: #define Ma(x, y, z) amd_bytealign((y), (x | z), (z & x)) with this line: #define Ma(x, y, z) amd_bytealign( (z^x), (y), (x) )
- Quit and restart the miner once the change is done.
- Make sure you use BFI_INT in your extra flags.

I'm not positive I've got this tweak working but I think it is since my Mh/s went up after adding it and goes back down if I change that line of code back. I wasn't sure where to apply the tweak in the latest 07-01 version of GUIMiner since i'm using the default OpenCL Poclbm miner but what I ended up doing was opening the phatk.cl file in the main GUIMiner folder and applying it there. I'm also using the flags -v -w128 -f10 without the BFI_INT flag.

Last edited:
\Just made a bench case out of some spare parts from this and some plexi. +Going to order a some more 80/20 so I can make the legs taller and make some sort of brackets so I can use the pci riser cables and run 4 5830s per motherboard.

I was going to order the MyOpenPC Domo PCI stackable cases, but they are out of stock until July. +You can get this 80/20 aluminum extrusion on eBay and Amazon, but with all the brackets and bolts, it isn't the cheapest.

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

**Snippet**

Ramble about TripleMining

**/Snippet**

Decided to go back to ARSBitcoin :/

Last edited:
^^ So that's weird. I can't see anywhere on my login that says I'm part of your pool. Guess he needs to fix that.

As someone with some extra cash and in need of a new video card in the relatively near future, would a 6950 be realistically capable of returning its value (~$230) over 2 months of regular pool mining? I'm running a GTX260 right now only getting around 50 Mh and I could easily leave my comp mining when not gaming or what not. Power consumption is not a concern. Is it too late to get into mining or is a single 6950 even worth it?

^^ So that's weird. I can't see anywhere on my login that says I'm part of your pool. Guess he needs to fix that.

What does it show when you click on "My Minipool"?

As someone with some extra cash and in need of a new video card in the relatively near future, would a 6950 be realistically capable of returning its value (~$230) over 2 months of regular pool mining? I'm running a GTX260 right now only getting around 50 Mh and I could easily leave my comp mining when not gaming or what not. Power consumption is not a concern. Is it too late to get into mining or is a single 6950 even worth it?

Punch in 390 to this website and whatever $/btc rate you want to sell at. 390-397 is about what my unlocked(shaders only) 6950s do.

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Hmm, seems like if I can get $70 for my GTX260 it would only take 36 days of mining to recoup costs, even with adding a couple of days to that for non-constant mining that seems like a hell of a deal.

What does it show when you click on "My Minipool"?

Just shows my team information. Shrug. I'm mining now though. See what happens for maybe a day or so. I'm not sure I like the idea of you getting more btc because of me though.

Just shows my team information. Shrug. I'm mining now though. See what happens for maybe a day or so. I'm not sure I like the idea of you getting more btc because of me though.

Hmm I guess I didn't read the fine print. I didn't know the "owner" of the pool gets the 1% redistrobution. I may not mine here very long. I did like the idea of the multipool though :/

I am going back to ARSBitcoin.com

Last edited:
Hmm, seems like if I can get $70 for my GTX260 it would only take 36 days of mining to recoup costs, even with adding a couple of days to that for non-constant mining that seems like a hell of a deal.

Why would you go NVIDA, total waste of time for mining.

BTC guild is annoying me with their crazy server load. Thinking of thinking to maybe slush's pool. Anyone mine there?

Yes, theres 6,xxx,xxx BTC out there now. The total once Bitcoin has run through its path will be around 21 million BTC

BTC guild is annoying me with their crazy server load. Thinking of thinking to maybe slush's pool. Anyone mine there?
I've finally got around to moving my miners off btcguild. I've been having nothing but troubles with them this weekend. I'm not sure what's going on over there but my GHash/sec was absolutely awful during this time with all their idles, rejects and idles. I jumped to deepbit. I rather have a pool with fees with my hardware running at full capacity then a fee-less pool running with 75% of my GHashes wasted cause of errors.

I hate moving all my boxes to new pools also since I'm running so many boxes. I'll see where btcguild stands after a few days.

I've finally got around to moving my miners off btcguild. I've been having nothing but troubles with them this weekend. I'm not sure what's going on over there but my GHash/sec was absolutely awful during this time with all their idles, rejects and idles. I jumped to deepbit. I rather have a pool with fees with my hardware running at full capacity then a fee-less pool running with 75% of my GHashes wasted cause of errors.

I hate moving all my boxes to new pools also since I'm running so many boxes. I'll see where btcguild stands after a few days.

Same here, I've made more from Deepbit even with fees the past few days or so.

I think I'm done mining, second dead card for no reason. I'll tell the whole story.

First I replace the TIM on my card with artic silver 5, I originally wanted to install a new heatsink but it did not work the way I wanted and temps reached 100 degrees during the 10 seconds of stressing. After putting back the original cooler I noticed a decrease in temps by 6-8 degrees Celsius, so now I was running at about 68 degrees. I mined for a couple hours. When I wanted to play a game I stopped mining. When I finished mining I started again. Then when I felt like playing again I used the -f800 command and mined while playing. My Mhashes ranged for 30 to 150 depending on the environment. I played for maybe 90 minutes, and then when I stopped I used the -f0 command. Before going to bed I wanted to download something quickly, and then out of nowhere my card's fan was at 100% and seconds later all my displays shut off. Now there's no display from the card and I can't even post with it in.

This sucks, both times my card's died it was the day before new hardware came. First I was awaiting a new cpu/mobo/ram hoping to finally be able to crossfire and the day before one of my cards died. Tomorrow my card is coming back from RMA and I was anticipating finally being able to crossfire but my other card now died :(

Im curious as to the technique that you guys use for failover.. I see that there is a flag you can add in to reassign the card to a different pool if the connection fails, which makes sense, but is there any benefit over doing it the way I have it setup.

Deepbit - GPU1
Deepbit - GPU2
BTCGuild - GPU1
BTCGuild - GPU2

With both cards running for both pools it essentially load balances itself, if 1 fails the unused processing power goes to the other card with virtual.. Deepbit has a fee associated with it and BTC guild does not, however BTC guild is having a lot of issues lately getting their new US server setup so this system seems to work fairly well.. And doing it this way they generate pretty evenly and I could have as many cards setup as I want, the more pools you have setup, the better the failover coverage.

Any downside to doing it this way?

BTC Guild is having some growing pains, but they're working on it.

Our new server is being shipped to a colo center. It is load balanced with built in failover. It should eliminate idles for US servers.

Not sure about you guys but I would recommend MTRED for a good alternative pool. Its the one I use and its been great since it opened up a 2months ago. Its free but I donate a tiny % each block.

I do.That's my primary and only pool lol.

Is it true that each block equals to 50 BTC?

Well its 50BTC each block + the associated fees for any transactions that are wrapped up in it. For example here are the last few blocks found in the pool I use.

Yup, and this is a good thing. The sooner we hit the computational wall, the sooner a difficulty decrease will come. :)
That's exactly what I am hoping for :) Going to check in the morning to make sure the current price isn't continuing this nasty trend of the past couple days and then putting my order through for a 6950 :p

Back