Bioware MMO Official: Star Wars: The Old Republic

phobic

Supreme [H]ardness
I had very little doubt they wouldn't be making this game, but it's now official. It's being said that this MMO was the main reason EA bought Bioware in the first place.
Originally posted by Joystiq
What we know so far: The project originated just after KOTOR II launched in 2005. SW:TOR is reportedly the reason Electronic Arts paid $860 million to purchase BioWare and Pandemic. The MMO takes place 300 years after the first KOTOR II, which puts it about 3,500 years before the film.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/21/star-wars-the-old-republic-mmo-unveiled/#comments

2 factions: Galactic Republic or the Sith Empire. You can be light or dark on either faction. Also, Jedi, with force powers and sabers, will be playable from the beginning.

I'm really trying not to get hyped for this game because I really want it to be good.

Anyone remember Galaxies or are you just trying to forget ;)

Honestly, I hated SWG from day one (yeah I said it), but Bioware is a proven dev studio so at the least I'm curious to see what they come up with. Still, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I seem to enjoy games better that way for some reason. :p

Well, it sounds like they kind of shut the door on ever making a real Kotor 3.

Definitely not cool. Not cool at all. :mad:

Edit: Maybe Obsidian will make a 3rd one, but I doubt it.

They just said there are multiple classes, only one of which is a jedi knight. They said all classes will be balanced. How could they ever balance someone against a jedi and justify it. It could be really wierd. I definitely think the SWG method of haivng like a handful of jedi on a server, not anyone can pick it, is the way to go.

I want to be a bounty hunter plx

Anyone remember Galaxies or are you just trying to forget ;)

These are not the same people at all (far as i know anyway) who did SWG. I wouldn't expect it to be comparable to SWG other than the fact that it's based on star wars.

i
Well, it sounds like they kind of shut the door on ever making a real Kotor 3.

Definitely not cool. Not cool at all. :mad:

Edit: Maybe Obsidian will make a 3rd one, but I doubt it.

Well basically Bioware considers this MMO to be KOTOR 3,4,5....etc. Don't get your hopes up for a single player KOTOR.

About Jedi, weren't they more common place during the time period that Bioware has used so far? I'm interested to see how the world and classes pair out with jedi running around.

im not digging the art direction, looks like CG cartoon like the new Clone Wars cartoon.. aka City of villains/heroes

coming from the disappointing swg, i hope this game is good.

mega stiffy nerd boner.

been waiting since SWG for another SWG. I played and loved SWG.

And from this point on I'm doing my damnedest to avoid all info about this game now that it's existence is officially confirmed. I will take the day off of work and first day purchase this when it launches

SS_20081021_PlatformLightsaberDuel_.jpg

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the character models. I would have preferred a bit more realistic figures for the humanoids. But that being said I can only wish for good things to happen for this game. Its been a long time since my Star Wars nerd level has surfaced for a game.

Definitely looking forward to this. KotoR I and II were awesome.

My lord, this game will catapult EA over the top for sure.. It's just a matter of time before they buy Blizzard-Activision. :(

Bet everyone will just pick the jedi class.

Another game to eat up massive amounts of pc gamers time while developers of competing pc games blame pirates.

It's not pirates being the issue, its online games keeping pc gamers busy for years. It really started to take off with Half-Life, counter-strike, UT, Quake followed by Battlefied 1942. It was all over once mmos took off. The monthly game purchase by semi-hardcore pc gamers came to an end.

I'm definately checking it out.

I must say I I really wanted a true next-gen KOTOR III no a waste of time MMO. I guess I'll have to be open minded.

i

Well basically Bioware considers this MMO to be KOTOR 3,4,5....etc. Don't get your hopes up for a single player KOTOR.

Well I was really just hoping for the Revan/Bastila/The Exile stories to be finished somehow. The one thing I didn't want is this:

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#356

What the heck is that supposed to mean anyway?

Maybe the story will get finished someday? There is a 300 year gap in time between the events of Kotor and SWTOR. But like you say, I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

God I'm a nerd.

meh, you're not that big of a nerd ;) Bioware spins a good yarn, and that's half the reason I play their games.

Wow I believe I have truly overlooked some great games/stories within all those Star Wars games...

I will be watching this one for sure :D

hmm, you might be surprised. In SWG I was a bounty hunter (no, I didn't dress like boba fett :rolleyes:), and I stayed a bounty hunter even after they introduced jedi into the game.

In this time period, the madalorians are still around, so I imagine if they're playable that many people will do that. Plus, there are different types of jedi, so that's another way to round things out since many people will indeed want to wield glowsticks.

Maybe people will even be allowed to roll Sith? That could be fun as well.

My lord, this game will catapult EA over the top for sure.. It's just a matter of time before they buy Blizzard-Activision. :(

Bounty Hunter for me, baby.

Provided it's a playable class.

I know I said I'm not going to seek any info on it, but please PLEASE tell me they're planning space combat like Jump To Lightspeed. The last few months I played Galaxies had more to do with being able to take a group of guildies into JTL and just blow the hell out of stuff than it did with any of the ground game.

Cool, I think I know what my next MMO after Warhammer Online in 4-5 years will be :D.

The amount of fanboy BAWWWWing about the graphics on several forums is quite remarkable.

I think it looks quite pretty in some of the screenshots, particularly that one with the rocky cliffs in the background

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the character models. I would have preferred a bit more realistic figures for the humanoids. But that being said I can only wish for good things to happen for this game. Its been a long time since my Star Wars nerd level has surfaced for a game.[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! that statue in the middle is from the old WoW Login screen.

I'm very skeptical. First, I like the art style, it's similar to the previous KOTOR games, and gives the game a cohesive art style, too many attempt realism and fall far short. Having a stylized art style that is achievable and uniform is better than having one that strives for realism and spends too much time and money trying to do it.

KOTOR were good games, but a bit shallow for real rpg's. Hopefully they can rectify that. The being said I have never understood why people think it's a good idea to take a narrative single player story that centers around one character (you) and make it into an MMO. KOTOR and the Elder Scrolls series come to mind. You can't take a great single player story and make it as narrative and meaningful when 5,000 people are all playing at the same time, it just doesn't work. You may have a story line, but ultimately it won't be as fulfilling, because 5,000 other people are playing that exact same story line. I'm curious to see what they will do to overcome that.

The other biggest problem is SWG. They are going to have big shoes to fill, and given how rapid fans are about SWG when it first came out, MMO'ers are going to expect this game to be everything that game was, plus everything it wasn't (as some here have already shown). Bioware is good, but they don't have anywhere near the resources and manpower SOE does, so I'm afraid people will be disappointed.

All that said, I'm really interested to check it out. I just hope they can introduce some sandbox style MMO features like SWG was known for, but given the current state of the MMO market I'm expecting more WoWified adventure type gameplay. *sigh*

KOTOR were good games, but a bit shallow for real rpg's. Hopefully they can rectify that. The being said I have never understood why people think it's a good idea to take a narrative single player story that centers around one character (you) and make it into an MMO. KOTOR and the Elder Scrolls series come to mind. You can't take a great single player story and make it as narrative and meaningful when 5,000 people are all playing at the same time, it just doesn't work. You may have a story line, but ultimately it won't be as fulfilling, because 5,000 other people are playing that exact same story line. I'm curious to see what they will do to overcome that.

The other biggest problem is SWG. They are going to have big shoes to fill, and given how rapid fans are about SWG when it first came out, MMO'ers are going to expect this game to be everything that game was, plus everything it wasn't (as some here have already shown). Bioware is good, but they don't have anywhere near the resources and manpower SOE does, so I'm afraid people will be disappointed.

Its bioware, if anyone can do the story right they can. Also it is not going to be one storyline. Each character type is going to have different stories and it sounds like different paths thru the stories. Honestly don't care about the other 5000 people playing as long as the story entertains me. If the story is anywhere near the quality of past bioware products it will not be a problem.

I'd also take bioware with limited resources over sony with unlimited resources any day. However I think you are wrong, bioware has more people and more experienced people and they have made a name for themselves to the point where i do not see them getting funding an issues.

Maybe the story will get finished someday? There is a 300 year gap in time between the events of Kotor and SWTOR. But like you say, I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

God I'm a nerd.

I will echo your sentiments. Oh well.

Story-driven MMOs never work. The content can't be as focused as a single player game, players will rush through it about 5x faster as the devs think possible, finish, notice no end-game, and quit.

Sandbox MMOs like Ultima Online / Asheron's Call / Eve Online, and hopefully Darkfall, are where it's at.

This genre doesn't need another crappy single player game ported to multiplayer where it doesn't fit. Bioware isn't some super studio with MMO/netcoding experience, they have some fun games and Kotor was good...but I don't think they know what they are getting into with this.

Pretty good chance this fails.

as much as i want to play this game, id really like to know how they are going to prevent 9/10 people from just rolling jedis or sith. no one wants to play with a blaster when you can have a lightsaber.....they are, afterall, uncivilized.....ok ya inner nerd came out with that one! must leave now to prevent myself from getting overly excited about this game.

Well this sucks. I loved both KoTOR 1 and 2, but I don't play MMO. Oh well, good news for my wife. Both KoTORs took me away for hours and strained my marriage.

This will probably be the game I ditch WAR for. My guess is it won't be released before 2011.

The amount of fanboy BAWWWWing about the graphics on several forums is quite remarkable.

I think it looks quite pretty in some of the screenshots, particularly that one with the rocky cliffs in the background
I thought the exact same thing, those cliffs look great. Ground textures look kinda low rez though but hopefully they will improve.

SS_20081021_PlatformLightsaberDuel_.jpg

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the character models. I would have preferred a bit more realistic figures for the humanoids. But that being said I can only wish for good things to happen for this game. Its been a long time since my Star Wars nerd level has surfaced for a game.

Whoa, did anyone else have a flashback to Tribes?

I can't wait for this game, WoW doesn't do it for me anymore and WAR was disappointing.

For those who wanted KOTOR 3 (and I don't blame you, that game rocked) the only thing you should really be worried about is the subscription fee. They said that each class will have it's own single player story (with multi option of course, imagine co-op KOTOR 1 or 2, how kickass would that be?) that will be just as long as a KOTOR single player game. In fact I think there is a quote where they say that if you finish story with one class and then play another none of the quests or dialogue will be the same. We better not have to wait too long for this, I am pumped.

This probably won't be released for another 1-2 years, being the earliest.

SWG will be close to .. 6-7 years? (Release Date: 26 June 2003)

As much as I loved SWG but with the current state its in, some games really just need to die.

I don't see how both titles will still live on side by side then as SWG will be showing its age, bad.

Oh well, Mortal Online seems to be a good upcoming game with sandbox-esque MMO features.

Back