BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

I have heard nothing about his whatsoever and I work in distribution.

Guess we wait and see. I will be ordering my Opty soon.

Theres so much speculation on these chips.
First it was that the 165 was being cancelled and supposedly AMD confirmed it then next thing you know we're told that was false and that there were just supply problems.
Sometimes I wonder if this scare of no more supply is an effort to drive up pricing.

Rumors...that's all they are. AMD was "supposedly" going to pull the plug on them weeks ago. Nothing's happened.

If they sell a lot of these s939 opterons they can always say that the Opteron is doing very well against the Xeon in terms of sales :).

AMD was just in discussing their roadmap and the big thing with them was that the Opterons would be able to run on desktop chipsets. Why would they care if people are buying them to run on whatever in the first place.

Opterons at this point need to gain market share for AMD in any way possible.

That idea is kind of against the whole business idea...

Hey Joe, our CPU is sold out EVERYWHERE...I think we should stop shipping it to everybody except system builders. That way we lose tons of money!

the post was probably made by some guy who bought a big batch of them and now wants to ebay them for a huge markup in what he paid for them.

or possibly on a bigger scale even...

peacetilence said:
the post was probably made by some guy who bought a big batch of them and now wants to ebay them for a huge markup in what he paid for them.

or possibly on a bigger scale even...

it was made by tankguys. they're a reseller. http://www.tankguys.biz/

i did not post this to make a profit iin any way i was just letting people know about it

yeah, i've talked to the owner of tankguys before, and he's a good guy. i dunno what's up for sure, but i guess time will tell anyway :D

why would amd care if theyre used on desktops or servers? as long as they sell them i dont think they care

My only theory is that AMD could feel that the Opterons are detracting from the FX sales. But then again, people that buy FX's are a totally different crowd from those that take $160 chips and run them into the ground.

robberbaron said:
My only theory is that AMD could feel that the Opterons are detracting from the FX sales. But then again, people that buy FX's are a totally different crowd from those that take $160 chips and run them into the ground.

i agree, they may feel that us enthusist OC'ers are jipping AMD cus we supposed to be buying FX's, instead we get optys OC'ing them to that speed for about 1/5 the cost. Hey i know they dont owe us underclocked fx-57 cores, but this is stupid. Its like Honda going, hey we found out you guys are buying 12k civics intended for commuter cars, putting 10k in after market parts ( equivalent to WC, ram, mobo etc) and making em go as fast as our 45k S2000. We dont want you guys doing that so were gonna sell them to big car rental companies only.

if AMD really does this, then they are retarded, ill never spend 1k on an FX. The price/performance between a $200 chip and a $1K chip is too small. For my purposes, mainly gaming, that 800 diff is way better suited in getting better GPUs or a new monitor.

Fact is that us enthusiasts are buying cpus that never were intended for us. We're supposed to buy Venice and X2 cpus. I don't think that AMD planned on this and we are probably messing up their sales forecasts/business projections big time...
Obviously we are not supposed to by a 150$ and be able to get it to 3ghz, we should have to by a FX to do that. I bet that at this point there is not many FX, Venice or X2 sold...
The worse for them is that there is now a huge grey market in Europe and shops are making loads of money selling pre-tested Opterons instead of buying more expensive cpus from AMD. I know of a small hardware site were the guy probably already sold 150-200 cpus when he's not even a retailer... just by selling them through the forum.
Wether they stop this or not, I don't think that they are very happy with what is happening. They are not going to get a stable business selling 150$ cpus...

Nano2k said:
Fact is that us enthusiasts are buying cpus that never were intended for us. We're supposed to buy Venice and X2 cpus. I don't think that AMD planned on this and we are probably messing up their sales forecasts/business projections big time...
Obviously we are not supposed to by a 150$ and be able to get it to 3ghz, we should have to by a FX to do that. I bet that at this point there is not many FX, Venice or X2 sold...
The worse for them is that there is now a huge grey market in Europe and shops are making loads of money selling pre-tested Opterons instead of buying more expensive cpus from AMD. I know of a small hardware site were the guy probably already sold 150-200 cpus when he's not even a retailer... just by selling them through the forum.
Wether they stop this or not, I don't think that they are very happy with what is happening. They are not going to get a stable business selling 150$ cpus...

You forget that the enthusiast market is only like 1% of the overall CPU market. I don't think we're killing X2/Venice/SD sales :D.

Nano2k said:
Fact is that us enthusiasts are buying cpus that never were intended for us.
i find it hard to believe that this wasn't predicted over at HQ ;)

Are there even any socket 939 server motherboards? I had the impression all the server boards were 940 and intended for the original 940 opterons...

jamori said:
Are there even any socket 939 server motherboards? I had the impression all the server boards were 940 and intended for the original 940 opterons...

Nah, only single socket 939 boards.

(cf)Eclipse said:
single socket doesn't necessarily mean it's not meant for server use ;)

Well, single-socket 939 boards tend to be for mainstream use. At least they used to be, before AMD introduced its 939 Opteron series. :)

Why would this only affect the 144/146/148 Opterons and not the 165/170/175/180?
Any clue?

we might be a small % but were still around 10%, not 1% as someon suggested, if we were 1% nVidia wouldn't of made a 7800GTX512, and etc.

Chilly

I see the only way something like this would be true is due to demand from large system builders. In other words, it would be a supply and demand problem where system builders would get the CPUs first and if there was anything left over it would go to the retail channel.

AMD doesn't care if the average joe buys an Opteron. A sale was made and they made money off of it. It helps keep their marketshare up or could increase it. This is not a bad thing for them.

SmokeRngs said:
I see the only way something like this would be true is due to demand from large system builders. In other words, it would be a supply and demand problem where system builders would get the CPUs first and if there was anything left over it would go to the retail channel.

I get the feeling that that might already be going on.

I have faith in AMD. They'll keep the flame going. We may be only 1% of the market, but we cause great products to be made by the big boys, which get passed down eventually. AMD will not abandon its core supporters.

Chilly said:
we might be a small % but were still around 10%, not 1% as someon suggested, if we were 1% nVidia wouldn't of made a 7800GTX512, and etc.

Chilly
Well put. On top of that, most of us have more than one computer or tons of parts laying around.

Chilly said:

Chilly

I think we are much closer to the 1% mark than the 10% mark. Just think of the number of business machines out there. Dell, HP and other builders like that put out more machines than custom builders or DIY people do. The market that is the overclocker is much smaller than you think percentage-wise. Yes, we have a tendancy to push the envelope and demand more and so are a loudly vocal section. But we are not by any means a large section. It's all a matter of numbers.

SmokeRngs said:
Yes, we have a tendancy to push the envelope and demand more and so are a loudly vocal section.
and that is why things like the FX's and 7800GTX 512mb's exist. win us over with the high end products, and we'll recommend the lower rated cousins to our lesser informed family and friends. it's all mind games in the end :D

Chilly said:

Chilly
10% to Nvidia isn't nearly the same percentage of market share to AMD.

We might not be a big part of AMD business, but your average corner of the street shop is probably hurting because a part of their customers are wanting Opteron instead of buying more expensive cpus. Worse even, they probably can't get them unless they are clever at finding them. I mean look at this OPteron craze, everywhere you go that is the only thing that is talked about now.
For the big AMDs customers, maybe they have good turnover, but I'm sure they don't make that much money out of it, remember it was all explained in the suit they filed against Intel. So altough we might not represent the big business we probably are paying good money for our cpus. Also at least here in Europe the only AMD desktop PCs you see in shops are equipped with cheap Sempron cpus and are entry level stuff. Probably not that much money to be made there, you might be paying the bills but you ain't buying the Ferrari anytime soon :)
Amd is not Intel and I think that it's wrong to always represent the enthusiast market as only 1% not important or such for their turnover.
As for image, I'm not sure that corporate manager really care to know that AMDs are better in games and can overclock at 3ghz for 150$.

Hey all-

Just to clear up, I'll repeat what I had said in the other thread... I'm not 100% sure if any of this is even true.

I was talking to one of my contacts last week, and I was asking him about getting more 146's. He then sent me a message that AMD was no longer going to be selling them through the distribution channels, and would only be drop shipping to SI's.

As I also mentioned there, I was already out of stock when I posted it, so I had no financial gain at stake, so I wasn't trying to scare people into buying, or try to get the price raised. As some of you may have been aware, we were about the only store that *didn't* price gouge at all on these things from the start, so it would seem odd if we resorted to such 'grey' tactics at the end here...

I really don't know if this thing will end up being true or not. What I do know is that a few other stores don't even have the 144/146's listed on thier sites anymore, and I can't seem to find any of them in the various distribution channels.

It could simply be that AMD is having trouble supplying the units, which would frankly make me quite happy, since I don't want to see these things dissapear.

I probobly should not have even posted the info in the first place; but I wanted to let people know in face they still wanted to buy, so that maybe they could still buy them before they all dissapeared. Who knows though, my info could be 100% wrong, and this is one instance where I'd be quite happy to be wrong!!!

TankGuys said:
Hey all-

Just to clear up, I'll repeat what I had said in the other thread... I'm not 100% sure if any of this is even true.

I was talking to one of my contacts last week, and I was asking him about getting more 146's. He then sent me a message that AMD was no longer going to be selling them through the distribution channels, and would only be drop shipping to SI's.

As I also mentioned there, I was already out of stock when I posted it, so I had no financial gain at stake, so I wasn't trying to scare people into buying, or try to get the price raised. As some of you may have been aware, we were about the only store that *didn't* price gouge at all on these things from the start, so it would seem odd if we resorted to such 'grey' tactics at the end here...

I really don't know if this thing will end up being true or not. What I do know is that a few other stores don't even have the 144/146's listed on thier sites anymore, and I can't seem to find any of them in the various distribution channels.

It could simply be that AMD is having trouble supplying the units, which would frankly make me quite happy, since I don't want to see these things dissapear.

I probobly should not have even posted the info in the first place; but I wanted to let people know in face they still wanted to buy, so that maybe they could still buy them before they all dissapeared. Who knows though, my info could be 100% wrong, and this is one instance where I'd be quite happy to be wrong!!!

Thanks for giving out the information, we appreciated anything we can get here.

Volkum said:
That idea is kind of against the whole business idea...

Hey Joe, our CPU is sold out EVERYWHERE...I think we should stop shipping it to everybody except system builders. That way we lose tons of money!

Or gain more because people will be forced to buy more expensive processors.

Chilly said:

Chilly

Dell Total Sales > (Newegg+ZZF+Mwave+Monarch+TigerDirect+TankGuys :) +x1 +x2)

where x stands for your computer retailer of choice ;).

TankGuys said:
Hey all-

dude,

don't know where you're checking, but besides the fact that AMD has the 144/146/165/170 parts on heavy allocation, i'm having no problem sourcing them and getting ahold of them.

just an FYI...my inside sales guy is VERY good at pointing out problems with supply and EOL products.

dave

Damn, I go without my main rig for a few days and all hell breaks loose!

I hope my Opteron 146 and x800GTO^2 get here very soon :)

They are going to look great in my DFI LanParty Ultra-D :cool:

Back