BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS

Commander Suzdal said:
And still this drivel goes on...

No application demanding enough? Is Oblivion not demanding enough for you? Or widescreen gaming? Or Company of Heroes? Or Call of Duty 2? Or Prey? How about with a level of image quality never seen before?

I guess if you like gaming at 1024X768 with 0AA/0AF on Quake 2, then current hardware is more than enough...:rolleyes:

eh, I once gamed in widescreen monitor with 1920X1200 resolution using a single X1900 XTX video card

I was pleased with performance it had even with AA and AF enabled.
all those games run smoothly at the native resolution and they still look great

oblivion is not that demanding, I can even play it in a laptop with a X1600 mobility card at decent settings
I call it as I see it,
there is no denying the 8800 series is a great card, but it is not worth the current price is at
I was once in the group that bought the latest cards, but once you get out of the loop and think outside the bubble, you will understand my point of view,
I respect your opinion though

@Arcygenical nice post,

Insert, "there are no apps currently available to take advantage of these cards performance yet" here

your point has merit howerver you should qualify it by excluding those with high resolution displays. Even with the 8800 series there is room for performance improvement on a 30 incher in todays games

i really enjoy the fact that here in canada i can purchase this card from any AIP at any of the major internet e-tailers RIGHT NOW; in canada!

in canada!!! it's tough living in an igloo... great for air cooling though.

i love when ati gives me a reason to recommend them and i can't wait for them to compete with this monster from nvidia... if they don't just roll over and choke on their transistors instead! :D

hooray for unbeatable graphics/sales on midrange cards.

So, I've been planning this new build for my son for Christmas...I ordered a case last week, and today ordered the BFG 8800GTX...then I started wondering if it would fit in the case I bought...an Aprevia server-size.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144006 . I am dumping the power supply and already bought a OCZ 700W with 4 12V rails. I wanted to get him a 'cool' looking case because no matter what is in it, an 11 year old needs a flashy case...lol. Anyway I was reading the article and looking for the size of the card...the article states:

"The BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX has the same height and width but exceeds the length of both at almost 10.5 inches long. The 8800 GTX is the same length as a RatpadzGS, which is roughly 1” shorter than a UPS Next Day Air envelope if you are looking for something to wedge into your case and see if your chassis is suitable for the GTX."

Well..low and behold...I got my Ratpadz GS out from one of my other comps (4 gaming rigs in LAN), and it is not 10.5" long..it is a whopping 11.5" inches long. It will be tight in this case, but I think it will work...I'll find out when the card arrives...lol.

Anyway...great article...double check your size, and anyone have any case suggestions that this card will fit in?

How well does the 8800GTX fare at an Oblivion gate w/ foliage and casting spells at the same time?

At 1920x1200 max detail of course. :D

I have most of the games in the review but am noticing better performance. Strange I have a weaker processor. Could be the new driver 97.02 I have installed ;)

Lord_Exodia said:
I have most of the games in the review but am noticing better performance. Strange I have a weaker processor. Could be the new driver 97.02 I have installed ;)

God, if the new driver improves performance... shit, I don't even know.

What kind of performance numbers are you seeing?

Oh man, I didn't expect the 8800GTS to be this damn sweet. I may have to think abotu trying to save for one :).

Great review guys. I love the way you guys review cards! Keep up the good work!

I read the review, which was a mistake. Now I really want a GTS. I mean, WTF?!?! The GTS runs Oblivion maxed out, 4xAA, 1600x1200, versus the X1950XTX medium settings, 2xAA, 1280x1024, and the GTS still runs faster? Wow. Just, wow. I was not expecting the 8800 series to be this good, at all.

So have we gotten physical dimensions confirmation, specifically length, of the GTS? I know the GTX won't fit in my case, but I'm worried that the GTS won't either.

That was a wonderful review, and i know the card just came out and everything, but i was wondering if it is possible to include a comparison of say 2 7900gt's or 7950gt's in SLI. So one could make an informed decision as to whether to sell a card they own or just purchase another 7900 and go SLI. Or if someone could just link me to stats/benchmarks on some of the same games with two 7900GT's i'd appreciate it.

just got done playing BF2142 and OMG I turned everything up to high w/ overriding the aa ( tsaa) and af both at 8x and still got 70+ FPS I was playing at 1680x1050 BTW --- 620/900

Aztlan said:
eh, I once gamed in widescreen monitor with 1920X1200 resolution using a single X1900 XTX video card

I was pleased with performance it had even with AA and AF enabled.
all those games run smoothly at the native resolution and they still look great

oblivion is not that demanding, I can even play it in a laptop with a X1600 mobility card at decent settings
I call it as I see it,
there is no denying the 8800 series is a great card, but it is not worth the current price is at
I was once in the group that bought the latest cards, but once you get out of the loop and think outside the bubble, you will understand my point of view,
I respect your opinion though
Fair enough, but for those of us who don't have an X1900-series card (I currently own an AGP 6800GT) and who don't upgrade frequently, the G80 series represents a compelling value proposition--pay the same now for the 8800GTS as we would have a month ago for an X1950XTX, or for the 8800GTX as we would have for the 7950GX2, but get performance and quality well beyond those predecessors and DX10 for the future all in one package. This is why we waited, and the wait was worth it.

Nothing is "necessary" except food, water, air, and shelter. One might as well tell members of a car forum that they should all ride bicycles. For those who are [H]ard, it is enough that something be really, really good, and the G80 is that.

Anyway, that's the view from here. If my irritation sounded harsh, consider that this type of statement has been made repeatedly in the last month, and some of the people who made it have already bought a G80 today. It just strikes me as a position that is hypocritical and philosophically out of touch with the raison d'etre of a hardware enthusiast's site.

Aztlan said:
@Arcygenical nice post,

Yeah, Yeah, I know, but man, I dont need Quad Core, but I dont go over to the Intel forums bashing how bad of an upgrade the QX's are!

Everyone should be allowed their opinion, yes... But crapping on a thread just because YOU don't need the product, doesn't justify the threadcrap.

If you don't need it, dont buy it, but don't justify it to everyone. I dont care if you don't want it (and no one else does, furthering my reasoning) but you dont need to go off topic and tell us why.

This isn't directed to YOU persay, but there have been an immense # of threadcraps recently... And none of them are productive.

See where I'm coming from? I wasn't flaming, and these sentiments arn't only my own...

What happened to the rumored GDDR4? Any mention of it from NVIDIA? Didn't the text that accompanied the "long fingernail" pictures say it was GDDR4?

Oh well, last time I get excited about rumours...

MentatYP said:
I read the review, which was a mistake. Now I really want a GTS. I mean, WTF?!?! The GTS runs Oblivion maxed out, 4xAA, 1600x1200, versus the X1950XTX medium settings, 2xAA, 1280x1024, and the GTS still runs faster? Wow. Just, wow. I was not expecting the 8800 series to be this good, at all.

So have we gotten physical dimensions confirmation, specifically length, of the GTS? I know the GTX won't fit in my case, but I'm worried that the GTS won't either.

[H] pegged the GTS at about 8.75" long, same length as the 7900 GTX and the X1950 XTX. However, THG pegged the GTS at 9.5" long, again, same length as the 7900 GTX. While I have no idea which is right (since I haven't done my Step-Up yet :)), I side with [H] since TR has similar measurements. In the end it doesn't matter though. If you can fit a 7900 GTX in your case, you'll have no problems with a GTS.

Chacranajxy said:
God, if the new driver improves performance... shit, I don't even know.

What kind of performance numbers are you seeing?

Just 5% or so better than the review but with the proc I have running 1680x1050 it's still a good sign of some nice last minute tweaks nvidia couldn't have put forward. I bet if this driver would have made it in time for the review they would have gotten slightly better numbers too. Who knows. Unfortunately there isn't a single review using these drivers.

Also a side note. In the Config CFG file in fear XP under the timegate studios folder I added a 1 to the restart renderer ("RestartRenderBetweenMaps" "1.000000") after each map and that seemed to stop the choppiness for me. Just thought everyone can give it a try and see how it works for them ;)

BTW that would be located at the following path C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\TimeGate Studios\FEARXP

I didn't think I would be looking to dump my 7950 gx2 so soon. It looks like I'll be buying a chistmas present for myself.

It's been said over and over, but I repeat - good job on the review!

@Arcygenical you really need to read my post again, I wasnt thread crapping I was simply stating my opinion and giving some advice

I was once one of those people that burn the cash to get these latest releases, like some of you here

but I learned my lesson, now I became a bargain hunter, burning 499 dollars for a video card is not worth it when its value drops considerable in just a matter of months,
thats why I said think wisely.
you can still be [H]ard when you invest on something in a calculated way
there is no rush to get this card, you can wait a few weeks until the price drops and you will be saving cash.

I respect your opinions, and I'll ask you do the same for mine.
opinions varied in this world, so arguing over something is pointless.
so carry on
I dont come visit the video cards forums much

Very good review.

Would it be possible with the upcoming GF8 series cards (all of them) to get some reviews running dual monitors?

I'm still running 2x 17inch lcds at 1280x1024 and a 6600gt

Im looking to upgrade to the new generation in a month. But all the reviews are saying the cards are only good for 1900x1200+

Which leaves me stumped as i'm going to keep my monitors when i upgrade to play supreme commander in dual screen. I know of people in a similar situation to me.

Would they be find handling 1280x1024 x 2, or not worth the money???

No one seems to cover those of us who have dual monitors :(

Nice review this card is going to own.

I've just blown £340 on a 22" LCD so this is going to have to wait, I think a more sensible buying choice would be when DX10 games hit the shelves.

I have to ask one thing, what of shimmering? Do the new AA and AF modes put stop to this?

Yashu said:
You completely missed my point.

You are trying to read too far into this. It's ok. Like I said... The results of your reviews are very useful...

Every card has plain Jane 16X AF (regardless of the actual math behind it... the little windows control panel for each card brand has a slider with 16AF at one end) for example... you are wrong when you say there is no way to set up two card brands reasonably the same. And it would not be hard to just do a couple one off benchmarks cranking the "usual suspects" up to the max... forget about the new AA modes for a second. Those are part of the subjective review... that is not what I am talking about. It is still useful to see how a card performs with just good ol' 4+X AA and 16xAF at a high resolution in a demanding game or other benchmark, compared to other cards at those same settings.

I know you guys put alot of work into this... and with all that work, going the extra mile, as they say... would make every single other review completely redundant. Isn't that what you want? To be the number one enthusiast hardware site. period. on the net? Don't let other sites provide information that you are failing to provide. Maybe I see too much from a business perspective... I don't know.

As I said... I know why you do what you do in the way that you do it. I think you are mostly right... I just hate having to leave H and load up a 2nd class hardware site to get some simple one off graphs that I can use to explain a new piece of hardware to lay people. Enthusiasts use this information, but so do parents, non-enthusiasts, young gamers, and other potential *customers* (for whatever reason. gifts?).

Keep up the good work... seriously. Don't think that H isn't the first review that I read... because it is. I just wish it was the *only* review I had to read. :)

Actually, I think you missed the point.

Let's look at it from a different angle -

Would you consider a "cutting edge" programming site to not really be cutting edge because they don't have code samples of Q Basic or FORTRAN?

No, that would be rediculous, because those languages are hardly even used anymore and are for the most part obsolete.

[H] on the other hand believes itself to be ahead of the curve, and believes those other benchmark reviews are the equivilent of Q Basic and Fortran in my example. It is just that they are ahead of the curve, and trying to re-train many enthusiasts to be smarter about hardware, instead of falling into the human nature of slapping labels on everything for laziness' sake.

So from their perspective, it isn't about being behind any other site - it is about being the first to be ahead. Kind of like Chris Columbus saying the world is round, and you are point to Tom's hw and other places saying "well they say the world is flat." - more people might say the world is flat right now, but that's because they don't have the money or the balls or the work ethic to get on a ship and sail to prove their point like [H] has.

Frosteh said:
I have to ask one thing, what of shimmering? Do the new AA and AF modes put stop to this?
There are 2 or 3 places in the review where they mention problems like shimmering in the image quality section for each game. In every case where there's a problem, it's on the ATi card. Shimmering is gone from nVidia with the G80.

I just picked this baby up. I cannot wait to try the card out with 2142 on this thing; :D

Mits.jpg

Lousy pic but it was morning and lighting was a bitch

Oh and no I will not be using it as a computer monitor I just want to see how well the card does driving it. On occasion i will (during snow storms or something ) lol

With 2x 8800GTX in SLI and a kentsfield processor I'm going to have to call the power company up and have them come and install a mini coal powerplant in my back yard.

Great review as always [H] staff! :D

I, too, was blown away by the settings you were able to use in Oblivion. I guess all the hype surrounding the card was true. It appears that it is truly more powerful that any current Sli setup (excluding possibly a Quad-Sli setup).

I'm really curious to see how the 8800's stack up against the R600. I know that won't be for a while still but seeing how nVidia completely obliterated all current cards with the G80, I'm wondering if Ati will be able to keep pace in this generation of cards.

Brent,

You mentioned you'd try to look at Everquest 2 and see if the the G80 can rise above Balanced quality settings. Any chance of that?

Commander Suzdal said:
Brent,

You mentioned you'd try to look at Everquest 2 and see if the the G80 can rise above Balanced quality settings. Any chance of that?

I didn't have time for this evaluation, I may in the next one.

Commander Suzdal said:
Brent,

I didn't have time for this evaluation, I can give it a shot now though, let me see... installing now...

Brent_Justice said:
I didn't have time for this evaluation, I can give it a shot now though, let me see... installing now...

If you are taking requests... How about some UT2k4 ?

I know it isnt used much for benchmarks anymore but some of us old timers
that still play the series still enjoy seeing that game's advancement with different cards. :D

SNIP3R said:
If you are taking requests... How about some UT2k4 ?

I know it isnt used much for benchmarks anymore but some of us old timers
that still play the series still enjoy seeing that game's advancement with different cards. :D
QFT....

Just ordered my 8800GTS should get it either Friday (I hope!) or Monday. I was wondering if anyone had problems getting these cards into cramped cases due to their large size

Nobody knows if there will be an AGP 8xxx card released?

Or nobody cares enough to say yes or no?

I just haven't been able to find any reference to this, either way and was hoping the [H] crowd might know. :confused:

flenser said:

I just haven't been able to find any reference to this, either way and was hoping the [H] crowd might know. :confused:

Guessing you and I have at least 6 mos b4 this becomes even a thought!

:(

Brent_Justice said:

Sweet. I'm still an EQ2 addict and it'd be nice to know how the 88 series is going to run it.

Awesome review!

Looks like Nvidia didn't just take back the image quality crown; ATI was decapitated and thier head was put on a stake too! sweet! :)

flenser said:

Are you joking?

I think it's safe to say there's never gong to be an AGP 8800. At least not a GTS or GTX. AGP doesn't have the bandwidth to support these cards. Sorry, but AGP's days are over and buried.

I'm kind of dissapointed...

8800 series on paper should be x3 faster than the 7950 series and they are luck to get x2 on certain situations.

Having x3 the shaders and higher bus, with the shaders supposively running at higher clock rate along with having more than x2 the Transistor count you'd easily get x3 or higher due the the hardwares efficiency over the old architecture.

Why didn't anyone bother to test Splinter Cell-Double Agent? A lot of companies are going to be using the Unreal Engine 3 so its makes sense for the New GPUs to be tested on new games that have more of the future features in them.

Back