BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS

i don't know about the rest of you, but i just breezed through the entire review...

man, those 8800's are wicked sick. can't wait for the eVGA versions. glad i still got ~60 days for the eVGA step-up. :D

tsuehpsyde said:
Nope, definitely not. :) 3 more housr until it's back online...

I just read it....

Is the link in the first post not what was pulled?

I read the article...good review but I probably won't buy the 8 series until January at the latest...too soon to buy it for DX10 imo, especially theres a bigger and badder competition at the same price range around the same time :D

Now the real question is....

Who should I buy christmas present for? Myself or the wife :confused:

Riddlinkidstoner said:
I read the article...good review but I probably won't buy the 8 series until January at the latest...too soon to buy it for DX10 imo, especially theres a bigger and badder competition at the same price range around the same time :D

Now the real question is....

Who should I buy christmas present for? Myself or the wife :confused:

The wife, no brainer. Wife > You. :p

USMC2Hard4U said:
Thanks for the review. Looks like I will be skipping this cycle. As awesome as this card is, I think my 7950GT will be good enough until we see the "8900" series in the spring. Should be a die shrink and lower power by then anyway.

Thanks

Sounds about right, shouldn't there be a 65nm refresh later this generation?

From what I've read around on various sites, it's supposed to be an 80nm refresh, not 65nm. I suppose that could change, though.

pretty good review from the gaming side of things ,

completely worthless from the multimedia side ,

what a ridiculus choice for the test system, was it donated by nvidia?

i reserve my judgment about this card until i read what the guys from legitreviews have to say about it ,

I think you guys did an excellent job on the review. As always I know where to come to read the best. Great work! In fact I think I'll read the article once more to make sure I can soak it all in! :p

I am not saying get rid of the current style... I am saying that it would be wise to include just a direct compare at the end...

It's good to know what max playable settings are... I like that.

However, there are more then just a handfull of games... and an apples to apples compare on a few demanding benchmarks would give a general idea of what to expect on more games then just the ones used in the review.

That is all I am saying.

This is what we all do... we read the H review... we always read it all... but afterwords we *all* end up checking another site eventually to see those simple graphs. It would be nice if H had those too...

But I don't know... if H provided those, there would be no reason to even go to another review... and maybe Kyle has some kind of agreement with the other big players. They certainly don't use H's review style...

OK, I am trying to digest all this. Wow! Bang! Zoom!

Other than speed & memory is there a big difference between the GTX & GTS???

I think a GTX would be wicked sick overkill for my 1680x1050.

Vielgus-Kutas said:
i reserve my judgment about this card until i read what the guys from legitreviews have to say about it ,
I don't know what the problem is with the hardware. the nforce680 platform has been anticipated for a while, and the older nforce 5xx series performs about equal to intel offerings, just didn't OC as well.

Back to the review - great job making the technical mumbo-jumbo easy to follow. I'd have liked to see a bit about how the 8800's architecture compares to the GPU in the 360 though. When R600 hits, it'll technically be ati's second attempt at unified architecture which might give them an advantage.

Anyway, for now Nvidia is back to being the king.

PRIME1 said:
Other than speed & memory is there a big difference between the GTX & GTS???

The number of "streaming processors". 128 for the GTX and 96 for the GTS.

Yashu said:
I am not saying get rid of the current style... I am saying that it would be wise to include just a direct compare at the end...

It's good to know what max playable settings are... I like that.

However, there are more then just a handfull of games... and an apples to apples compare on a few demanding benchmarks would give a general idea of what to expect on more games then just the ones used in the review.

That is all I am saying.

This is what we all do... we read the H review... we always read it all... but afterwords we *all* end up checking another site eventually to see those simple graphs. It would be nice if H had those too...

But I don't know... if H provided those, there would be no reason to even go to another review... and maybe Kyle has some kind of agreement with the other big players. They certainly don't use H's review style...

You are missing the point, there is no way we can do anything apples to apples because nothing is apples to apples.

You can't directly compare AA modes, MSAA, CSAA, TR MSAA/SSAA etc.. You'd have to turn off AA and AF (making you more CPU bound), and even then the base filtering is different, so you'd have to go to point sampling. There is just no way to make the two video cards have the same exact image quality. It would be pointless to anyway, pure max FPS means nothing.

What matters is how high can you push the visuals and still maintain playable performance.

nice review, Brent and Kyle

these cards make me want to get one but i only game at 1280x1024 so no need for it. i do want and plan on getting a 2407WFP in the future (hopefully soon :D) and by then i'll need one of these cards.

and again nice work, [H].

Yashu said:

Other sites don't evaluate video cards the way [H] does because it is more time-consuming, and therefore more expensive. Some sites have scriped review systems where they just run a script for a few hours or days and it spits all kinds of useless data for them to make graphs and tables out of.

[H] actually has real people manning these computers and doing their best to get as much out of the video cards as possible for every game we test. Sure, we don't test every game out there, but we do test a cross-section of what is being played and what is popular. It is not feasible to test every game. We'd never get anything done.

When we're talking about DX9 performance and image quality, there is absolutely no reason to use a synthetic benchmark when you can evaluate the real deal.

WOW I didnt think these cards will be this BEASTLY. I still getting over the fact that you guys were able to max out Oblivion like that. Good job NVIDIA.

Silus said:
The FEAR Extraction Point issue is definitely not an hardware one (ATI or NVIDIA). There's a thread around, where multiple users (including myself) complained about its incredible choppiness. You just need to turn a corner or open a door and *BAM* the game lags, with no apparent reason.

I also noticed this... I used to be able to run FEAR at 1600x1200 now it will only run smoothly at 1024x768

l33th41 said:
I also noticed this... I used to be able to run FEAR at 1600x1200 now it will only run smoothly at 1024x768

That reafirms what I saw then, good. Perhaps the game is simply buggy. Still fun though, but must have an issue.

mmmm.... I think my X1900XTX just got kicked off of the island

My 2407 demands more power!!!!

As always, thanks for the review Kyle and Team.

Great Review and awesome card. These days I mainly only play CS:Source. Any chance you could add some Half Life Episode 1 gaming experiences?

Didn't have time to cover it completely, Half Life 2: Episode 1 - Highest Playable setting 1600x1200 16X TR SSAA/16XAF or 1600x1200 8xQ TR SSAA/16XAF. Minimum framerate was in the lower 40's for both, avg around 80's, and max around 110's.

Iratus said:
Brent, Kyle, As always the review is very well done. Probably the best you've done so far.

Just ordered a GTX on the back of it.

My g/f now hates you because she will now be getting a piece of coal and an orange for Christmas.
Something makes me wonder what you'll be getting (or what you WON'T be getting any of) for Christmas this year. ;)

Yashu said:
Simple, compare the 8800 directly with ATI's latest and also nvidia's last gen with all the same settings. Then you can easily see the difference in performance.

There are too many new features of the 8800 to be doing such a subjective review.
You must be new here. You might want to read their testing methodology. And I believe (especially with the release of this new card, which is astronomically faster than anything previous) that "apples-to-apples" testing would be pointless, unless you're wanting to buy the card, and then use web reviews to brag to others in forums. We're long past the days where frame rates are the most important issue. Lightning-fast frame rates are pointless if the game looks ugly.

Great review, Brent, and Kyle. While I am no longer of the age (or financial irresponsibility) to shell this kind of cash on a graphics card, the technology behind it is amazing. Hopefully, the sheer gains in performance will also send prices of a lot of other vid-cards downwards. One note though: You commented on the newest version of PureVideo HD. I'd have liked to see a comparison in features (hardware decode/encode of various formats, postprocessing effects, etc.) vid quality, and CPU load, vs. playback through the Avivo system of ATI's card. I know gaming is the priority, but plenty of us do more than just game. :)

And another vid card needs a friggin RMA!!!!

ummm heh oooops, wrong thread (fuck me running) !!!!!! my bad :D

This card is just a monster yah know, beastly performance, beastly quality, were talkin big fat harry nut sack beastly.

Great review guys as allways. Two thumbs up.

Did you get any chance to review SLI?

If one 8800GTX pretty much can run any game at any setting, is there really a need for two right now?

EQTakeOffense said:
Did you get any chance to review SLI?

If one 8800GTX pretty much can run any game at any setting, is there really a need for two right now?

Didn't get a chance to do SLI yet.

Very high AA settings in Oblivion at 2560x1600 with SLI I'm betting. One card does it just fine without, so with two should be able to set some high AA settings.

Other than that it may be that the next gen games coming out next year are the ones that SLI will show benefit with.

Hmmm im stuck with a 1280x1024 19in lcd, I wonder if the GTS is worth the upgrade from my 7900GTO?

Vielgus-Kutas said:

What's wrong with the test system? The best video card on the market deserves nothing short of the best CPU on the market. Last I checked, C2D + 2GB + Raptors is the best you can buy right now.

Awesome job on the review guys, I haven't read something this good in a while. Any chance of a follow-up review that is a sequel to the GPU/CPU performance comparison? I'd love to see this card benched across all the Core 2 Processors to see how it scales with clock speed or amount of cache.

Also, any chance of at least trying out the new video stuff and giving us a small blurb on it? I'd love to see how it does decoding HDDVD/H.264 media. As an HTPC owner, I forsee myself getting a HDDVD drive and low-end 8600/8300 when they are released for some HD goodness on my 42" TV. *drool*

kick ass article, very exciting stuff, I've been waiting for these dx10 cards, will have to wait until the air clears and we start seeing some deals :D

InorganicMatter said:
What's wrong with the test system? The best video card on the market deserves nothing short of the best CPU on the market. Last I checked, C2D + 2GB + Raptors is the best you can buy right now.

Not that Raptors will effect your gaming performance, I just want to have the fastest game load times as possible for testing, I hate waiting.

XamediX said:
Hmmm im stuck with a 1280x1024 19in lcd, I wonder if the GTS is worth the upgrade from my 7900GTO?
it's pretty easy to answer this question. Do you ever have to turn down the visual quality to keep games smooth? Then a video card upgrade would benefit you.

Back