BF2142 demo - I can't even begin to put into words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played it, and I own BF2. Some modding team could've done this entirely from BF2. People want to shell 50 bucks out for this crap? It's BF2 with different guns and vehicles, MAYBE an expansion pack at best. Not getting my money again.

The game feels entirely different to me. I stopped playing BF2 about 9 months ago. When POE2 was released my interest in BF2 peaked for about 2 hours. When I play POE2 or any BF2 mod I can see that there are different sounds,weapons, textures, maps, and vehicles, but no matter what I still get the feeling im playing BF2. When I got this demo I didnt feel that at all because they changed plenty. Im loving the new weapons, and the of the sounds are everything BF2 needed.

I find it funny when you go into the BF2142 Demo folder, and dive down a couple of subfolders to where the python files are stored (I forget what the specific directory is, not at my desktop ATM)...anyways, you eventually get to the python files, but they are in a folder called "bf2", deep within the BF2142 demo folder, I thought that was hilarious.

Riddlinkidstoner said:
I'm only going to buy BF2142 when PoE comes out for it ;) :D :cool:

I wouldn't be surprised if you could just install it into bf2142 with just a few minor tweaks. :rolleyes:

My system is rock solid and i'm getting an average of 40fps online.

Intel Core 2 e6600
eVga 7900 GT KO
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-3200
Raptor 150GB 16mb Cache 10k drive
Asus P5B P965 Motherboard
Dell 2007WFP 20.1" monitor

I'm running 1680x1050 4xaa 16xaf. All settings at high except dynamic lighting and shadows which are both off.

BF2 I get 75-90fps. This is rediculous.

Jeff

playrh8r said:
My system is rock solid and i'm getting an average of 40fps online.

Intel Core 2 e6600
eVga 7900 GT KO
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-3200
Raptor 150GB 16mb Cache 10k drive
Asus P5B P965 Motherboard
Dell 2007WFP 20.1" monitor

I'm running 1680x1050 4xaa 16xaf. All settings at high except dynamic lighting and shadows which are both off.

BF2 I get 75-90fps. This is rediculous.

Jeff

I'm in the same boat as you, Jeff. My system (X2 4600+, 2GB, X1900XT), is averaging around 40fps, with pretty similar settings as yours...such a huge drop from BF2, obviously the problem is the game, not us.

MJCfromCT said:
I'm in the same boat as you, Jeff. My system (X2 4600+, 2GB, X1900XT), is averaging around 40fps, with pretty similar settings as yours...such a huge drop from BF2, obviously the problem is the game, not us.

Interesting. I'm still wanting a refund though for my pre-order though.

Jeff

Ok, you guys with your shocking revelation that 2142 is kind of like BF2...

EA: "2142 uses the BF2 graphical/audio engine."
Player: "OMG, it feels like BF2! This is the suxorz!"

Brilliant.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Ok, you guys with your shocking revelation that 2142 is kind of like BF2...

EA: "2142 uses the BF2 graphical/audio engine."
Player: "OMG, it feels like BF2! This is the suxorz!"

Brilliant.

If only it ran like BF2 :rolleyes:

Jeff

I can't even join the server most the time. Played once and can't get back into the master server.

I have seen the positive light! 2142 will be such crap that BF2 will actually look good to some people. lol

Aelfgeft said:
Did you pay for it? No? Then go hang out with all the Vista RC1 bitchers in your world where free software is supposed to be perfect. Have a nice day.
Well obviously nobody is going to pay for a demo(at least I hope nobody pre-ordered 2142 just so they can get the demo first), so technically since the game has gone gold already, you cant really expect much better gameplay in the retail version of this game, which just happens to cost $50. So if I was somebody that already pre-ordered the game, and played this demo, I would not be a very happy customer at this point.

Maybe by the time the game is released, a nice 400mb patch will be released to fix a few of the bugs mentioned above.

Ok, played the game a bit. Still feels unpolished like BF2. They need to work on animations and colision detection. This was ok for BF1 but it isn't in this day and age.

And I was getting decent frame rates with 2xAA, mostly medium graphics and 1024x768. Yeah those are low but I realized that the past 7 years, I have been tinkering with the graphic settings more than I have playing the game.

Public:
http://files.filefront.com/Battlefield+2142+Demo/;5983145;;/fileinfo.html

Also, i've a pretty mediocre rig in comparison to some people complaining (X800XL, 3500+ and 2GB PC3200) and 2142 takes about two thirds to half the time to load that BF2 does, and doesn't run noticeably different at the same at the same settings (at 1440x900).

What can I say - win some, lose some, perhaps? Maybe i'm just a bit heartless if I don't care if 2142 doesn't run as well for you as BF2, but i'm failing to remember at what point new PC game releases were meant to be less demanding on your system than their predecessors. The argument that it is based on the BF2 engine will only get you so far.

I have put my fair share of hours into BF2. I did notice that the graphics were not too good but Ive chocked that up to it being a demo. And I have a fear that it will degenerate into a vehicle war and you are pretty much toast if you go on foot. But I am intrigued by the Titan mode of gameplay which looks really fun. I like how even if you just fly all over and cap a bunch of points you still have to assault the main base. I also like how when you sprint the camera bounces up and down like you are running. But the greatest thing that I like about this game that I HATED about BF2 was the accuracy of small arms. I can actually hit people now! I hated how in BF2 you had to go prone and semiauto in order to hit anything. Here it seems much better I hope they dont nerf that in the final version.

Replicant1911 said:
Here it seems much better I hope they dont nerf that in the final version.

Well.. if BF2 support was any indication there IS no final version. They kept changin' the frickin' gameplay in BF2 so we'll see if they leave 2142 alone or not.

Well I played it for 10 minutes and shut it off, nothing new, just BF2 with gayer weapons :) But I did like the fact that standing up and shooting has better accuracy :)

FPS was horrible compared to BF2.... BF2 fps was always "hovering" around 80+, in here same settings and fps are 60ish and drops in firefights. Blah.

Didn't seem too bad, but this should've been a $10 release to add on to BF2 IMO .

Although the graphics are sort of "meh", I will admit that I did not have one single problem running or playing the demo on my machine. No framerate issues (everything is at absolute max detail and max resolution) and no freezes/hangs/disconnects.

I'm sure it will be a bit mroe polished when it actually releases, but overall I had no other issues with it. Kinda miffed that it was $50, but the more I think about it, it's only $50.

my pc started to crash since i played the beta of this game , the first release of the public beta on fileplanet ... since i uninsalled it my pc was way way better ...

now i just tried to play and its all coming back... multiple freeze , lockup , crash , and reboot by itself.

i will skip 2142

Replicant1911 said:
But the greatest thing that I like about this game that I HATED about BF2 was the accuracy of small arms. I can actually hit people now! I hated how in BF2 you had to go prone and semiauto in order to hit anything. Here it seems much better I hope they dont nerf that in the final version.

I like particularly how with 2142 DICE has managed to do sustained fire correctly, where hundreds of other games have failed - the longer you sustain your fire the more accurate you become. If anyone wants to dispute this I suggest they check out some ultra slow-motion videos of rifles and such being fired, or try it themselves. The barrel whacks out all over if you fire short burst after short burst, but hold it down and you gradually compensate for deviation and end up nice and tight (though not as tight as in semi-auto, of course). YOU DON'T SPRAY ALL OVER THE PLACE UNLESS YOUR ARMS ARE MADE OF BANANA PEEL

WhyYouLoveMe said:
I have seen the positive light! 2142 will be such crap that BF2 will actually look good to some people. lol
LOL

:D

So true..

Just got done playing about 60 minutes of 2142. No problems or issues, but I think this game is terrible. I love BF2, I now play a lot of POE2 also. Walking is completly screwed up, and actual combat is extremly confusing and hard to do. This game is simply NOT FUN.

Well just put an hour more into the game, and I can say that it is boring. Probably the atmosphere, or the slow paced running/walking, but it is boring is all I can describe it.

Well I certainly didn't dig it. The draw distance seems much better than BF2 but that's the only positive I could think of. Wasn't that exciting, maybe it's just the map though. I'll have to wait until I've bored myself with all the other BF2 mods(POE2) ftw before I drop $50 on it.

im just glad I didnt do something silly like pre-order this game. I like the idea of the futuristic stuff, but this game does not impliment it well at all. Just another reason to hope ET:QW is gonna be as cool as it seems.

At first I was a bit skeptic, but now I know that this game is bad. Most of the time playing is just spent running around.

Just got done playing for a bit... I guess I am sort of on the fence. I didn't loose connection once, but I did have a weird glitch where my game froze up for a few seconds, and when it came back, my hud was gone, and the menus no longer worked. Sorta made it hard to play. There were also a few other graphical glitches.

However, those aside, it wasn't terrible. I am far from a fan of EA, but I am not about to bash this game and label it as total shit like many of you, when it's no more buggy than many other initial release games. Far as the game play goes... meh. It's like BF2 with different guns, vehicles, and maps. However, I still play BF2 a lot, so I can't really knock that. Can I say it's overpriced for what you get... sure, but its still got the core aspect of BF2 which I find fun, so by default that means BF2142 is also fun. For what it's worth, i've never been a fan of future/sci-fi shooters, but this is by far the most appealing one to me.

Will I buy it? Probably not. It's fun, and I would probably enjoy it, but not enough. I would maybe get 15-20 hours out of it. Right now, I am hooked on POE2 for all my battlefielding needs. I think I will just keep the demo handy in case I ever need a fix.

I hated the weapons and vehicles. I hate the concept of the game. Not that it's in the future but fighting over land. Come on you have hover shit and laser guns but you can't melt ice? Would have been much cooler in space, on another planet, or something like that. It feels like a terrible mod for BF2. It wasn't fun at all.

I hate myself for preordering the game. I gotta call Gamestop tommorow and try to get my $5 deposit back.

When Battlefield 2 was first released I went and bought it. The game was pretty damn good at first, but after several patches my mind began to change. Not only the game became "noob friendly" the "booster packs" have really pissed me off. I put the game off for good... After EA pulled that on me AGAIN I have desided not to touch BF2142, I know it will be the exact same thing. EA has been letting me down, I am a big basketball fan, nba live 07 is total c**p, same goes for Battlefield series. I find it funny how EA has managed to downgrade BF2 as they have released new patches. GG EA!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not an avid BF2 fan, but I do own all the expansions. Maybe play a few hours a week; certainly not every night though.

That said, I found the 2142 demo to be a bit different. Sure, when you boil it down, it's "us vs. them," but the weapons and vehicles make it a lot more interesting than vanilla BF2.

I'm really getting a kick out of the Titan mode. Capturing missile silos and knocking out the emeny's shields, then driving right underneath in an APC and launching an escape pod is cool! It gets a lot better when you can coordinate with your team and just launch man after man onto the enemy ship and storm the innards.

Will I buy it? Probably not, but I will play the demo again and again.

Also, I have not encountered any serious bugs with the demo yet. No crashes, no nametag bugs, etc. I do get a bit of lag, but I'm chalking that up to my ISP. Frames running around 40-50fps, 1600x1050 no AA, everything high.

Downloaded it pessimistically, installed while crossing my fingers, tried to launch it with happy thoughts in mind....
Crashed straight to desktop, uninstalled POS (after checking drivers, DX, Stability and making sure ALL MY OTHER GAMES RUN GREAT), erased wasted disk space,
swore off EA Games forever and came to Rant...
Great demo, allways the best from EA and dice, BF2 was a POS and now this demo (obviously not thoroughly tested) follows its footsteps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back