BF2142 demo - I can't even begin to put into words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the Titan mode, something other than conquest is a good change in my book. Over all, it ran horribly on my system, not due to shoddy coding, but because it is as old as a dinosaur. The one thing about it that bugged me is that they never bothered to fix the little movement problem that they originaly had in 42 with carrier movement and player interactivity, it has returned inside the Titans. Im still up in the air wether I will get it or not, but I may just need something to fill the gap till Quake Wars.

To all those who hate EA/Dice with a burning passion . . . calm down, we all know you will wind up buying it anyway, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten BF2 after the buggy mess that was BF:V.

If you were only to read the community feedback on the demo you would think the game was completely unplayable, but thats how the world is. People like to follow trends instead of thinking or acting for themselves. They will play the game for a couple of minutes looking for any possible error no matter how small it is and once they see something they go on a forum and say how it is the buggiest piece of shit ever. I didnt read a single comment on the demo until after I played for about 3 hours. When I was done I thought wow this should shut up those people who thought the game was going to be terrible. Sure enough everywhere I read there were people bashing it to all hell. Sure I had the disconnected from EA master server error too, but I still was able to reconnect and play the game.

It IS unplayable for me so yeah. Lost connection, BSOD, d3d error(fixed), and what else?

Go ahead and shell out 50 for a mod.

I love Titan mode.

Game runs flawlessly here, except it apparently doesn't like my $3000 in recording equipment I use as a computer stereo. Worked fine in BF2.

edit: jinxed myself there. First CTD I've had 1 minute after posting.

itsmikey said:
I love Titan mode.

Game runs flawlessly here, except it apparently doesn't like my $3000 in recording equipment I use as a computer stereo. Worked fine in BF2.

edit: jinxed myself there. First CTD I've had 1 minute after posting.

What res are you playing it at?

1600x1200 75hz I believe

No video issues whatsoever.. Their netcode seems quarky. Sometimes right when a large combat occurs, I'll get ridiculous latency for 2-3 seconds straight.. Just a complete freeze. Typically happens when I'm in a turret and a tank and I see each other and start blasting.

I play at that res also and my fps is shit, like 30's and 20's pending how much is going on. My thoughts are I'm cpu limited and I supposed running at stock doesnt help. What's your avg fps at that res?
My fps in BF2 is way way better. I was also thinking lack of an sli profile, so I went and made one based off the bf2 one and no change. I cant understand the lackluster performance I'm getting. I'm playing at 1600 res with everything maxed. I've tried with aa at 4x and 0 aa shadows to med and high with little to no difference. So this means I'm cpu bound correct?

BSOD=? Thats means Blue Screen Of Death correct? What OS are you running? I must say I have never had a blue screen of death since XP came out.

Anyone else noticed how the demo seems to be limited at 75 fps? I mean, even on the loading screens it can't go any higher, when normally (In CS:S, BF2, and even the 2142 Beta) it's 200+. I think that's what's accounting for the shitty performance people are getting. Anyone have any idea how to disable it?

Savoy said:
I play at that res also and my fps is shit, like 30's and 20's pending how much is going on. My thoughts are I'm cpu limited and I supposed running at stock doesnt help. What's your avg fps at that res?
My fps in BF2 is way way better. I was also thinking lack of an sli profile, so I went and made one based off the bf2 one and no change. I cant understand the lackluster performance I'm getting. I'm playing at 1600 res with everything maxed. I've tried with aa at 4x and 0 aa shadows to med and high with little to no difference. So this means I'm cpu bound correct?

I haven't checked the FPS (not sure how) but the games completely fluid. I can spin around all day and no video lag.

All of my settings are maxed, 4x, but I have dynamic shadows off. Not because it's slow, but because I turn it off in every single game because I could care less about shadows.

Wow just played 2142 for the first time, Its really Bland, Did they forgot to put in the graphics? Looks like im playing Intellivision. Ran the game at 1600X1200 4XAA 16XAF everything maxxed, It ran fine but really kinda lame. Im hoping they pull something out of there ass for the official release.

Marcdaddy said:
Wow just played 2142 for the first time, Its really Bland, Did they forgot to put in the graphics? Looks like im playing Intellivision. Ran the game at 1600X1200 4XAA 16XAF everything maxxed, It ran fine but really kinda lame. Im hoping they pull something out of there ass for the official release.

are u using the card that in ur sig cuz i don't think that is possible with that card as I own it my self.

Maybe this will ease the server drop issue, quoted from totalbf2142:

Well as anyone who has played the demo knows, there have been many problems with disconnects from the server. Earlier today, the demo release thread was updated with the fact that EA knew about the problem and were working for a fix. They have now released more information about a solution. Take a look:

The issue was related to the account activity checks that the master servers send to players while they are logged in. These checks exist so the server can know when your account has lost connection so that it may de-activate the account so you can log in again. The thought is that a player will not send responses to a query if their connection goes out so we need to close the account so you can log back in.

Anyways because so many people jumped into the demo the EA.com account servers were not able to cope with the stress. Now that the EA techs have added more servers and made a account server patch upgrade the issues should be eliminated. Please let us know if you continue to experience any additional problems.

Wally said:
I liked the beta. For those of us that consider what we're saying occasionally, i'm going to come out with a bit of a revelation here - it is subjective. It is a matter of opinion, and in the 2142 demo's case, luck; i've had no issues running it, but i'm not saying other people haven't. It's not the first game engine to have lots of bugs or be less than perfect, but i'm not looking at that just yet because I can put up with it; I couldn't play BF2 for eight months after buying it because of a mystery motherboard problem with PB, but instead of bitching and crying I fixed it and then enjoyed a fucking fun game. Same with 2142.

I'm sorry if it's not your cup of tea, but trying to villify the minority that's got no problem standing up and saying "hey, well, you don't like the gameplay, fair enough, but I like this game and I don't see why you're pissing and bitching citing weapon bob as an element of a shittily-coded game, rather than just turning it off." seems a bit daft. The rest of the people that love and can play BF2/2142 are off playing it, not just sitting on forums telling everybody about how much they love it. I am.

P.S. CONANO LIKE IT AND SAID HE DID! UNDERCOV3R E4 4GENT !!
XTF !!
You sound like an EA marketing guy.

So, do you know when this game will be on special at 9.99$?

:rolleyes:
Excuse me for forming my own opinion and being bored of people coming up with preconceived ideas. Would you respect me more if I whinged about my crashes and low FPS, rather than pointing out that new games tend to be a little more demanding than their predecessors and such?
You could answer, but I think everyone knows whether i'd care or not, right?

Wally said:
Excuse me for forming my own opinion and being bored of people coming up with preconceived ideas. Would you respect me more if I whinged about my crashes and low FPS, rather than pointing out that new games tend to be a little more demanding than their predecessors and such?
You could answer, but I think everyone knows whether i'd care or not, right?
Having an opinion is fine. Saying people have "preconceived" ideas is weird... How can it be "preconceived" when they actually experienced the game under the form of the demo? That's not "preconception" that's facts. We all know how EA works. The demo will be representative of the final product.

If you actually reported facts then yes I would respect you more. Saying the game is good enough and we should all STFU and endure 8 months of major bugs because the game as the "potential" is simply insane.

So do you work for EA Vancouver or Montreal?

Jesus christ this forum is so immature.

If someone likes the game, it's their opinion.

HEY LOOK, I LIKE BF2 AND 2142. I WORK FOR EA.

YES PEOPLE. I WORK FOR EA..

you must know that if you aren't a whining Anti-EA !!!!-tard, you work for EA. its very simple logic!

syntx said:
Having an opinion is fine. Saying people have "preconceived" ideas is weird... How can it be "preconceived" when they actually experienced the game under the form of the demo? That's not "preconception" that's facts. We all know how EA works. The demo will be representative of the final product.

If you actually reported facts then yes I would respect you more. Saying the game is good enough and we should all STFU and endure 8 months of major bugs because the game as the "potential" is simply insane.

So do you work for EA Vancouver or Montreal?

I'm not saying that at all. I am, however, saying that people should STFU complaining about things like weapon bob which can be turned off, and citing the fact that a new game is more demanding than an old one or that it's not "their sort of game" as a flawed engine or development team :rolleyes:

As for the preconceived ideas, well, it seems to be true, for the most part; when I was playing the beta all I could think of how it addressed all the issues that people had with BF2, such as air dominance, weapon accuracy, sheeer fun factor and so forth; yet people seem to be charging in going "I PLAYD IT FOR 20 MINS AND I GOT 30 FPS OMG PIECE A SHIT FUCK EA I SHOULD OF KNOWN IT", if you get my drift.

^^^Exactely, many of the BF2142 changes are directed related to community complaints from BF2. I love these changes. I hated BF2 air superiority, weapon accuracy, and unstopable tanks. In BF2142 you have a hybrid plane/helicopter thats moves slower then a jet with no bombs, every weapon is accurate, and tanks that can be destroyed with 1 shot to the back.

the demo IS a piece of shit. the game will be too. just like bf2 they will try and "fix" it but yeah, sorry, the concept is great but the execution sucks donkey balls.

btw 2142 is the ONLY game I have any issues at all with and I got a bsod running this trash so don't try and defend this turd b/c no matter how you may try to polish it there's still a piece of poop there.

cLaWz said:
Shouldn't a "HOVER" tank be able to "HOVER" over water? Oh, wait, no, it sinks.

LOL, I totally thought that too! I was in it and thinking "hey I can skim over this water and get in a great position to hit the enemy", and ended going WTF when it just started sinking. I don't kow how they could possibly miss something so obvious.

They should re-do this game with the source engine. Right now it's hopelessly chunky/clunky/uncontrollable.

I dl'd it and played some yesterday and then some more today and I'm not impressed at all :mad: If the retail version is anything like the demo I wont be getting it, and will wait for Frontlines fuel of war and hope its better.

I was hoping for some cooler weapons. the sniper rifle shoots so slow its worthless :( and some of the guns still fire bullets in 2142, like the EU's 6 shooter revolver? wtf :confused:

also why are there only 4 kits, is that just the demo and the full version will have more? also you cant customize your kit in the demo which sucks

- People run slowly/for short periods only because heavy body armour is default; it can be changed

- It's a tank. It's fantastical enough that the goddamn thing floats at all, I think they can be excused not letting it float over water - besides it being an unfair advantage, water is far less dense than ground...

- The source engine is just as shitty, in my experience, not to mention the game-breaking updates. Funnily, nobody ever makes a fuss about that. Maybe if "Valve" was spelt and pronounced "EA" we'd hear more complaints?

- Agreed on the revolver, seems a bit crap compared to the PAC equivalent

- No more kits, but customisation ladders allow you to select a kit that you want; sniper, spec ops, assault, medic etc. I think if they'd made unlocks available in the demo far more people would have seen the appeal, this is why i'm so keen as I had an excellent time in the demo with my unlocks, really changes the gameplay. As it is, I think people are dismissing the demo largely because they've not been shown the full scope of the game, which stinks.

ValeX said:
They should re-do this game with the source engine. Right now it's hopelessly chunky/clunky/uncontrollable.
I second this. I LOVED BF1, BF2 was dissapointing. I just feel it's too clunky and unprecise.

Geshtar said:
LOL, I totally thought that too! I was in it and thinking "hey I can skim over this water and get in a great position to hit the enemy", and ended going WTF when it just started sinking. I don't kow how they could possibly miss something so obvious.[/QUOT

Just because it can hover over land doesn't mean it can hover over water. Ground is alot more dense then water (cant believe I even have to say that)and takes less force to hover over. Im sure you could get it hover over a liquid but the amount of power needed would be immense.

Also the revolver is not a bad idea. Revolvers can hold much more powerful cartridges then semi auto's and they do not jam.

Ok, for those you citing "real life physics"..... dont. It is a GAME. Where in reality do you see a Titan? or a functioning hover tank? or a mech?

Citing real world physics is just stupid for a video game that is in no way trying to be realistic.

cLaWz said:
Ok, for those you citing "real life physics"..... dont. It is a GAME. Where in reality do you see a Titan? or a functioning hover tank? or a mech?

Citing real world physics is just stupid for a video game that is in no way trying to be realistic.

Silly us. I suppose when you let off the juice in one of the gunships you smack into the ground because it's magnetic :p
As I said; balance. That's most likely why, I very much doubt it's been "overlooked" as a feature.

BF2142 is a piece of shit !!!!!!!!!!!!! and it will fail horribly

Generally speaking, from a technical standpoint the BF2142 demo has been fairly well-behaved for me. Looks pretty good, performs reasonably well (minus the master server disconnect thing). There are two things that bug me about it, though: the annoying tendency to not be able to hit anything with small arms fire except at nearly point-blank range, and the really slow turret rotation speeds (more noticeable on the EMP turrets). And the sensation of, basically, playing a faster and slicker-looking BF2...which may be the one thing that kills this dead, I guess.

Yes it is a game, but when you have people making fun of Dice because the hover tank doesnt hover over water then someone needs to set them straight on real world physics.

I'm confused how you guys are having issues w/small arms fire..

I'm AMAZED at my score. I was pretty good at BF2.. usually top 5 out of a 64 person game.. And that was 80% of the time using vehicles

In this, w/ either assault or support.. I've almost always been #1-3.. 22-30 kills on Titan maps. I'll have people shooting all around me and barely take any damage off, and I'll knock them out quick as hell. Really weird to me. Seems the guns aren't remotely balanced.

Jap1987 said:
Just because it can hover over land doesn't mean it can hover over water. Ground is alot more dense then water (cant believe I even have to say that)and takes less force to hover over. Im sure you could get it hover over a liquid but the amount of power needed would be immense.

It's more about perception than physics.
sure, a 100 ton tank that's producing enough force to lift itself off the ground is going to simply part the water beneath it and sink to the bottom - so what. I've got an armed mega fortress floating overhead.
The fact is, other than having some loose steering, the hovertank feels exactly the same as a regular tracked / wheeled vehicle. It sinks in water, it bounces over bumps and craters, it slows down going up hill. These may all be technically accurate (except perhaps the bouncing over craters, a nice air cushion should probably soften those pretty well), they're counter-intuitive to most people. More than that, it gives the impression the hover tank isn't a unique vehicle, it's just another tank with a different model.
Is it a game breaker that the hover tank doesn't 'feel' like a hover tank? Of course not, but it's a detail that in a game where they did little more than provide new units, weapons ect on top of the BF2 engine, should not have been overlooked. If you're going to introduce a unique transportation like hover vehicles, they should probably feel unique.

Im not sure which turrets those are exactely, but you can turn up sensitiviy. I know this helps me zip around the stationary turrets easier.

I believe they have done everything they can do to make them feel unique and balanced. What more can you expect out of a hover tank other than a strafe.

Wally said:
- It's a tank. It's fantastical enough that the goddamn thing floats at all, I think they can be excused not letting it float over water - besides it being an unfair advantage, water is far less dense than ground...
I heard that the principle difference between a run of the mill vehicle and a hovercraft is that the latter "hovers". Given that there have been hovercrafts moving people and cars between France and Englang for at least 15 years, I am surprised that in more than 100 years we suddenly lose the ability to hover over water..

drizzt81 said:
I heard that the principle difference between a run of the mill vehicle and a hovercraft is that the latter "hovers". Given that there have been hovercrafts moving people and cars between France and Englang for at least 15 years, I am surprised that in more than 100 years we suddenly lose the ability to hover over water..

Fair point - but you'll notice that these hovertanks use magic light to hover, rather than an air-pocket sustained by rubber skirts. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't actually think it's worth worrying about too much anyway...

This demo feels chaotic. It's like DICE threw in all these toys and they all shoot up, down and sideways, and flashes of light everywhere, I just can't help but feel confused and somewhat unsatisfied when I kill with one of these contraptions.

The guns when aiming down the site looks like somewhen went hog wild putting little useless blinking lights all over that don't do you any good.

I have decided I don't like this game. Kinda of sad I was pumped for this but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back