BF2...worth it?

Infantry combat is still awful. Infantry has very limited mobility, removing the possibility of evasive maneuvering (besides bunny hopping), making infantry firefights go something like this:

1. Go prone
2. Spam bullets at target
3. Wait for random number generator to decide the fight

This would be exactly why I dont play any of these modern "combat sims." Not to mention the hitbox and hit detection in BF2 is absolutely ridiculous.

I hate all Battlefields. Its a huge cluterf0ck of WTH just happened? Cool concept and all but maybe its just me I never got the running around like a chicken with your head cutoff theme.

Cool concept and all but maybe its just me I never got the running around like a chicken with your head cutoff theme.

Wait - Isn't that the core essence of all FPS games? (at least not the sneak around ones) If you're NOT running around yer dead. :confused:

I hate all Battlefields. Its a huge cluterf0ck of WTH just happened? Cool concept and all but maybe its just me I never got the running around like a chicken with your head cutoff theme.

Find a clan server and join with friends. Make a squad and invite people to join. Use voice coms, chat, and/or Squad Leader Map to relay orders. The teamwork is there if you want it, you just have to be willing to find it.

You could also try the realism mod, people tend to work closer together in it.

I just played the 1.41 patch yesterday, after not having touched BF2 for over a year. The core gameplay hasn't changed. Here's my opinion about the game:

Air power > everything else. There are balance problems between ground AA and jets, and even between the jets themselves (J-10 > F-35). If your team lacks a competent jet pilot, you will get owned from the air.

Infantry combat is still awful. Infantry has very limited mobility, removing the possibility of evasive maneuvering (besides bunny hopping), making infantry firefights go something like this:

1. Go prone
2. Spam bullets at target
3. Wait for random number generator to decide the fight

There are some small variations, but that sums up infantry fighting. Most engagements occur at a range where your weapon's bullet spread is wider than your target's silhouette, so basically you are at the mercy of the random number generator. It's this quality that makes the game so popular, I think; BF2 levels the playing field between the skilled and unskilled by taking pinpoint accuracy out of the equation. There are ways to improve the hit percentage, but all it really amounts to is taking single shots or small bursts. Very little mouse movement is involved.

Grenade spamming is comical; everybody starts with several, and they can be tossed ridiculous distances. Infantry only mode Karkand maps consist of everybody spamming nades while being constantly resupplied by the support players. It's simply the most effective way of killing the enemy.

I harp on the poor infantry gameplay because there aren't enough vehicles for everybody to get one. So unless you can whore a vehicle, you will be infantry. The teamplay aspects somewhat make up for the flaws of infantry combat, but not enough to actually make it fun.

I could go on, but I won't. There are better multiplayer games out there than BF2.

Name them. Name one that does what BF2 does as far as size and variety. ANd if you say CS:S I will reach through the screen and slap you.

Name them. Name one that does what BF2 does as far as size and variety. ANd if you say CS:S I will reach through the screen and slap you.

I hate to say it but Counter Strike actually probably has better netcode and hit detection than BF2.

I hate to say it but Counter Strike actually probably has better netcode and hit detection than BF2.

CS:S is client side while BF2 is server side, this allows for better hit detection but it's also easier to hack. Hence, why you see much more hackers in CS servers than in BF2 servers.

Name one that does what BF2 does as far as size and variety. ANd if you say CS:S I will reach through the screen and slap you.

I don't play Counterstrike.

Size and variety, by themselves, don't make a game fun. They prevent a game from going stale. Core gameplay is what matters. An example of a well balanced and fun FPS is UT2004. The netcode is good quality and non-vehicle combat is much better. It has lots of vehicles that are balanced against each other. UT is certainly less buggy than BF2. Even with the latest patch, I experienced steady FPS degradation in BF2, and frequent server disconnections. If you want size and variety, UT has several game modes, and the onslaught maps are quite large. I'm willing to bet that UT has far more maps available for it than BF2 does.

Bummer - I don't. :(

Me either, but I know what he's talking about... it depends on the server. I don't experience any of this when playing on the big name servers or my usual faves, but some of the smaller ones when I was first getting a feel for where I liked to play, would be great with around 20 players, but as the player count crept up the frames went down.

My guess is that you (like me) play on a server that can handle the load no matter how many people are scampering about. My guess is that bones was playing on a few where the hardware wasn't right for the load.

no proof, just guesses.

no disconnects or repeatable patterns for me. As a post 1.41 player, I've had nothing but fun.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but this game is awesome. That is all.

If someone wants to get rid of a BF2 cdkey, PM me. My box got thrown out and all I have left is the game DVD. :(

If someone wants to get rid of a BF2 cdkey, PM me. My box got thrown out and all I have left is the game DVD. :(

My manual was discarded, however I managed to get another one from EA. Took a phone call and 4 emails. Main phone number is here: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=ERTS
Ask for technical support for games. You'll have to start with level one and then ask to escalate your issue politely. I, of course, provided them all kinds of proof: My EA Link info, a key from Special Forces which is available in an online account thing. Took effort.

I don't play Counterstrike.

Size and variety, by themselves, don't make a game fun. They prevent a game from going stale. Core gameplay is what matters. An example of a well balanced and fun FPS is UT2004. The netcode is good quality and non-vehicle combat is much better. It has lots of vehicles that are balanced against each other. UT is certainly less buggy than BF2. Even with the latest patch, I experienced steady FPS degradation in BF2, and frequent server disconnections. If you want size and variety, UT has several game modes, and the onslaught maps are quite large. I'm willing to bet that UT has far more maps available for it than BF2 does.

Okay, how about size, variety, and from the same era as BF2? :D I consider UT2004 kinda old by now.

This would be exactly why I dont play any of these modern "combat sims." Not to mention the hitbox and hit detection in BF2 is absolutely ridiculous.

this is what ppl usually say when they suck at a game.

bf2 is a great game. nicely designed for teamwork from the ground up. i like cs as well but in cs if hit a dude for 99 damage and die and some one comes to do a pew pew on him he gets credit and u dont where as bf2 u get a partial point kill. not bad. squads and team work points help promote teamwork. and in return you work towards unlocks. the game is a classic and definitely different. as for the going prone remark and spraying like crazy cs is just the same crouch and spray too (dont get me wrong i play CSS ALOT) .

My manual was discarded, however I managed to get another one from EA. Took a phone call and 4 emails. Main phone number is here: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=ERTS
Ask for technical support for games. You'll have to start with level one and then ask to escalate your issue politely. I, of course, provided them all kinds of proof: My EA Link info, a key from Special Forces which is available in an online account thing. Took effort.

Thanks for the advice-I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning. However, I have little proof of ownership-just the game DVD, that's it.

Recently installed the map Highway Tampa and its become my top played map. I'd like there to be one attack helo in it but then all the tanks would be sitting ducks. If only there was one atk helo and only I had the keys...

BF2 is totaly worth $20 so you can install POE2, god damn that mod is the shit, blew like 6 hours with it this afternoon.

this is what ppl usually say when they suck at a game.

bf2 is a great game. nicely designed for teamwork from the ground up. i like cs as well but in cs if hit a dude for 99 damage and die and some one comes to do a pew pew on him he gets credit and u dont where as bf2 u get a partial point kill. not bad. squads and team work points help promote teamwork. and in return you work towards unlocks. the game is a classic and definitely different. as for the going prone remark and spraying like crazy cs is just the same crouch and spray too (dont get me wrong i play CSS ALOT) .

Sorry, but this whole "teamwork is so great oh my god teamwork" stuff doesnt make up for the shitty engine. I honestly dont think that BF2 promotes teamwork more than any other game that has any team based modes. Hell, I've seen more strategy and teamwork come out of most TDM matches in UT2k4.

And wait a minute... you play CSS "ALOT" and your strategy is to crouch and spray? Oh boy...

HEY! UT2k4 is still rockin', though. ;) Instagib is just fantastic, frantic, frenetic, freaked-out fun!

Now... back to BF2...

I'll see you on the UT3 Insta battlefield?

I used to play fair bit of UT2004 insta and got very good but havn't played in ages. I do kinda miss the 2-3 hour sessions of that and coming off totaly buzzin' with adrenaline.

Only problem is life is too slow after a game of Insta gib, stuff like blinking takes way too long :/

I'll see you on the UT3 Insta battlefield?

I used to play fair bit of UT2004 insta and got very good but havn't played in ages. I do kinda miss the 2-3 hour sessions of that and coming off totaly buzzin' with adrenaline.

Only problem is life is too slow after a game of Insta gib, stuff like blinking takes way too long :/

lol - That's exactly how I feel after a long instagib match. :) I'll probably nab UT3 but my mediocre hardware might chug at it. :(

if ur a fps fan you'll love the game, especially the vehicles. once u get bored of tearing ppl apart on the ground w/ ur mad skills u can own them from the air.

only wish that noobs would stop running into the jets when you're taking off and purposely trying to kill themselves to get u kicked out of the server. also most ppl don't do teamwork, but when they do, and the whole friggin team is listening to the commander and you own the other team, its beautiful. actually feels like a war.

who's playing poe2? Should I even bother installing it or barely anyone play it?

who's playing poe2? Should I even bother installing it or barely anyone play it?

That's probably the most played mod for BF2. There's many servers you can choose from. Just be sure to set your server filters correctly inside BF2. (like uncheck ranked)

WTF. Anytime I try and join a game Punkbuster kicks me out and says Innadequate OS details or something. I just did a fresh install too what gives?

WTF. Anytime I try and join a game Punkbuster kicks me out and says Innadequate OS details or something. I just did a fresh install too what gives?

There's some funky thing with Vista where you have to give yourself admin rights or something...

Also you may want to try a manual PunkBuster update at www.evenbalance.com. Sometimes PB can be finicky.

Thanks for the advice-I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning. However, I have little proof of ownership-just the game DVD, that's it.

Well then you'll most likely have to send them the game disc along with 10 bucks. That's the standard policy. They'll send your disc back of course, but are not responsible for it.

I consider Battlefield 2 kind of old now.

It is old, but not as old as UT2K4, although to be fair, I guess it's only a year younger or so. But then again, it's had expansions to refresh it.

One thing you can take away from this debate is that a great FPS is not an annual event anymore. It's a rare breed.

Oh and I was a huge instagib fan. I enjoyed it a bit with UT2K. In fact, anyone remember Ngstats? I was a top Quake 2 instagib player. And that was when you had crazy fast grappling hook and enormous, user-made arena maps (that Mars map for UT2K is the closest to it I've experienced in terms of sheer size) with no zoom. The enemy guy was a speck. Yeah, I've done insta. I like a mellower game now and BF2 is mellower for sure. :D

Can someone explain to me why you can shoot someone 5 times but as soon as they lay on the ground and shoot you once with full health it kills you? WTF is with this bs laying on the ground crap. 1st of all it's super unrealistic and 2nd it's just bs.

Back