BF2...worth it?

Actuary

2[H]4U
I've been looking for a good game to play lately. I'm still working through FEAR and Far Cry and am enjoying them immensely, but I miss multiplayer action. I've been playing CS and CS:Source for years now and wanna try something different.

How does everyone feel about BF2? Are there still enough people playing? Will I get trounced into the ground when I first start?

And finally, when I buy it, should I spend $40 to get the expansion packs?

DOD source is cool if you are looking for something new... but yes BF2 is worth the 19.99

Should I just go $40 and get the bundle with the expansions? What does having the expansions allow me to do that the regular does not? Just a few extra maps?

Should I just go $40 and get the bundle with the expansions? What does having the expansions allow me to do that the regular does not? Just a few extra maps?

A few extra maps, a few extra vehicles/weapons. Not overly worth it in my book, but I got quickly sick of BF2.

Its worth it. Plus it wont limit your choices in servers.
Honestly, BF2 was one of the best games I have ever played. It was endless fun.... well that is until I got a widescreen monitor. Then the game went to the FS forums because EA refuses to put out a widescreen game..

It's definitely worth it. There are still plenty of people playing it...there are lots playing even on the vanilla BF2 servers (which I always play because I never bothered with the expansions). Even with the release of BF2142, BF2 is still probably one of the most popular online games (this side of WoW at least).

I'd say yes. The game is very fun and kept me busy for a long time. BF2142 is also a fun game. Both games have demos if you want to try them first.

I would say get it, I definitely spent a fair share of time having fun with the game.

I love the game. I go through spells on playing it though. I just gotta be in the right mood to play. Sometimes its really boring, but then other times it can get very intense..especially when you are in a squad that actually knows what they are doing.

Note: All squad leaders out there...You should always be spawnable. Don't be a squad leader then hop in a jet. Just one of my pet peeves.

Yeah dude, my clan is playing it pretty heavy right now. I love the game. I like it much better than 2142.

Another vote for BF2. Behind CS and CS:S it's the most populated MP FPS game out there. The thing that keeps me coming back is the sheer variety of things to do in the game. Being a commander now and then also adds some spice. For $20 you can't beat the value.

Here's the current bummer: Stat tracking is not working 100%. EA says they're working on it but it's been a month now and some stats/awards are not updating. Typical EA support, I guess. Of course if you're not into the numbers behind BF2 then it won't matter. ;)

I think if you download/play the demo it'll give you a decent idea of what to expect. (although several gameplay changes have been patched in since the demo's release) If you like BF2 then go ahead and nab Special Forces for a change of pace. Personally I don't think Armored Fury and Euro Forces are worth $10 each. I think getting them bundled in the deluxe version is worth the money, however.

EDIT: Yes, yer gonna get trounced when you first start playing. Sometimes it helps to find a "buddy" to squad up with and learn the ropes. There's so much to do and use in the game you'll need time to learn it.

You know...no matter how much EA sucks and all that. Battlefeild series games have been one of the biggest games ever. And very good game, except the 2142 :eek:

Its been almost 2 years that BF2 came out. I have played it about 800 hours...its very fun and extremely addicting. And it has tons of great mods. Its fucking badass. Last time i played so much was with CS. No not source :eek: just CS. Good times.

yea bf2 but for mods :)

Project Reality v0.6 is Released

Point of Existence 2 Mod Friday

Note: All squad leaders out there...You should always be spawnable. Don't be a squad leader then hop in a jet. Just one of my pet peeves.

It's one of my pet peeves as well. When that happens I know it's time to find a new squad... :rolleyes:

IMO if you get the full game and the expans all together for 19.99 then its worth it. Not worth 19.99 each.

I hope you enjoy being killed by Airplanes every 10 seconds.
Get 2142, its 100% more balanced thant BF2.

I disagree, get 2142 if you prefer the advanced style gameplay and bf2 for modern feel. Game dynamics dont make that big a diff imo..

As well, you could try Insurgency.

I'd pick up the 20-30 pack of bf2 and special forces from walmart. I love BF2, i played it pretty heavy when it came out for about 5 months, then took maybe 8 months off, then i'm just now getting back into it. ALthough Supcom, and Company of Heros has rekindled my love for RTS's....

I'd say +1 for BF2..

I play bf2 at 1280x1024 on a 20" widescreen... it looks alright. You can edit your ini though

Code:
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe\" +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

and that gives you a widescreen game.. doesn't increase FOV, and actually decreases vertical view, but it doesn't look to bad

BF2 used to be great...now it's pretty lame, with a lot of the fun aspects of the gameplay having been nerfed to hell. Now it's all grenade spamming and dolphin diving. I used to run a clan, now I can't even stand to play one match.

Sounds good everyone. I think I'll buy the Collector's Edition, which is BF2 and special forces. If I'm really into it I'll just download the booster packs at some point.

Here's hoping EA gets the stats up and working again.

If you like more tactical type combat instead of the willy-nilly running around that is BF2, Project Reality is awesome. Also as mentioned earlier, V.6 is out (or will be very soon).

:rolleyes:

QFT.

If you know what you are doing in the game, you can avoid high populated areas. The game isn't just a spray and pray game...You hear a plane coming in? Run for cover..I know, I know....tough stuff huh.

There are infantry only servers if the winged creatures from Hell make you piss your panties :D

I though BF2 and 2142 had crap like StarForce in them... thats why I never got them.... are they ok to install on your PC now or something? :p

I like BF 1942 but never got BF2 ... would like to get it though if its ok to install on teh PC.

I though BF2 and 2142 had crap like StarForce in them... thats why I never got them.... are they ok to install on your PC now or something? :p

I like BF 1942 but never got BF2 ... would like to get it though if its ok to install on teh PC.

No Starforce. None of them ever had it.

No Starforce. None of them ever had it.

So they are clean to install? I just hate spyware and such :p I just heard something along those lines about these games... if not and I'm wrong, then I'm going to go out and buy them tonight :)

So they are clean to install? I just hate spyware and such :p I just heard something along those lines about these games... if not and I'm wrong, then I'm going to go out and buy them tonight :)

2142 has ads placed in-game in its maps.

BF2 has one downloadable map that has a couple in-game ads.

Other than that there is no spyware or anything like that. Neither my a/v or anti-spyware programs pick up anything from EA - lol :D They're clean as a whistle.

Infantry only mode, FTW!

And when Desert Conflict has a couple more releases and polishes everything up... it's will be THE game to have.

you probably heard that because people don't like EA and like to make up lies.
+1 for Bf2, and get special forces, that gives you better weapons to play with.
As for getting killing by jets? not sure what that guy is talking about. Sure you'll get taken out quite a few times, but not every 10 seconds. There are even maps like warlord in SF that don't have planes or choppers.
People want to complain so much that it's not real enough, that you need to hit people multiple times to drop them and then complain that they get popped by choppers and jets all the time.
They also got rid of dolphin diving a long time ago. People confuse dolphin diving with laying down to shoot. You get an accuracy bonus if you hit the deck and fire as opposed to standing, so many players do this as a gut reaction. Dolphin diving is where you jump into the air and can lay flat and shoot while in the air and falling so you got the accuracy bonus plus you are a moving target. Two different things.
Here is the big secret to BF2, learn why the game does what it does. Find out how many shots it takes to drop somebody with a specific weapon. Know where you need to target a person or vehicle. Just have fun. You're going to die. You'll probably get upset. And make damn sure if you call soebody a hack they really are one instead of being good or having a really low ping. Find some friends and just have some fun. if you see clan MLG say hi.

As for getting killing by jets? not sure what that guy is talking about. Sure you'll get taken out quite a few times, but not every 10 seconds.

Yea, more like every 20 seconds. The point is that a player who really knows how to work the jet is pretty much untouchable. There is no real counter to it. The stationary AAs are a joke. Eventually, I played only maps without jets.
Now I play BF2142. Way more balance in that game.

Its worth it. Plus it wont limit your choices in servers.
Honestly, BF2 was one of the best games I have ever played. It was endless fun.... well that is until I got a widescreen monitor. Then the game went to the FS forums because EA refuses to put out a widescreen game..

you do know that you can get BF2 running in widescreen by adding a simple res size in the bf2 shortcut, as I and probably everyone else who has a widescreen monitor running bf2 has done so and it looks magic even tho it is an old game.

I highly recommend it. It's the most fun I've had on the PC in years. Having friends to play with really helps up the fun factor.

Edit: I run my widescreen monitor in 1:1 mode, so the lack of a widescreen option doesn't bother me.

I highly recommend it. It's the most fun I've had on the PC in years. Having friends to play with really helps up the fun factor.

Edit: I run my widescreen monitor in 1:1 mode, so the lack of a widescreen option doesn't bother me.

Yeh same here...i play @ 1600x1200 on a 1920x1200 screen :D

But yeh, when my friends started playing bf2 at my house, they liked it, and now we play together. We join a squad and always talk to each other...so much fun.

Go get it, it's an awesome game. Sure, the plane guys dominate some maps but you don't have to play those maps. Overall it's a VERY fun game and imo one of the best in the last 10 years.

Special Forces is FUN. There are plenty of bad players so you will die a lot but still get some kills too. I like BF2 for the $$ and COD2 also is fun.

bf2 was great. designed team work in mind. the only ppl that dont like this game cant seem to get it running or something . no problems here running it on like 5 computers no crashing .

Back