Bethesda Wants to Save Single-Player Gaming

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Bethesda released a fun YouTube video yesterday that stars Lynda Carter, the original Wonder Woman, and she makes an appeal to save the single-player gaming genre. I'm fully onboard with this kind of initiative because multi-player is getting old and repetitive. You'll have to sign into your Google account to watch the ad below.

Watch the video here.

Why did they make Elder Scrolls an MMO if they cared about single player? You know why? Because they were a year behind the 'how to gouge people for money curve' and figured MMO was the best way to milk the IP. Now, they understand, that they can just release a single player game and loot box/monetize everything in it, including mods, and it will make them a lot more money.

I'm on board. For the last several months all I'm playing is older games like Dead Space, Batman, Mass Effect and last night was Crysis 3. There just aren't any good single player games out lately that look any good. The new Wolfenstein looks pretty good and I'll probably give that a shot but that's about it.

I have zero interest in multi-player games. I've tried them and they're just not for me. If single player games die off I guess I'll just keep replaying my old ones forever.

And yes Lynda Carter, I would still hit that!

Last edited:
The assasins creed series is pretty good for a single player game. There are a few others as well, Fallout is great.. hummm... others as well I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Haven't played an online multiplayer game since I quit WoW for the last time in 2013.

Haven't played a competitive online game since Halo Reach.

Why did they make Elder Scrolls an MMO if they cared about single player? You know why? Because they were a year behind the 'how to gouge people for money curve' and figured MMO was the best way to milk the IP. Now, they understand, that they can just release a single player game and loot box/monetize everything in it, including mods, and it will make them a lot more money.

The don't care just about single player. They care about every possible angle to leverage a buck. The only thing I can read into this is that it's some sort of marketing to pre-launch either tes6 or another Single player ip in the near future. Large companies are not your friends, they don't care about you. Large companies only spend money for calculated reasons, and this looks like some jackass in a boardroom smirking as phase 1 launches to market their next single player release.

I have zero interest in multi-player games. I've tried them and they're just not for me. If single player games die off I guess I'll just keep replaying my old ones forever.
They will never die off, but don't expect too many coming from big game publishers anymore. Indie game developers will keep making them and some of them are near AAA quality.

I didn't know it needed saving. [imagine long list of recently released sp games here that I was too lazy to actually do]

They will never die off, but don't expect too many coming from big game publishers anymore. Indie game developers will keep making them and some of them are near AAA quality.

That's what I'm afraid of. I really like the AAA single player games because they've got the great music, great acting and so forth. I like games that are like 12 hour long interactive movies and unfortunately that leaves me at the mercy of the big publishers as they're the only ones with the resources available to do that. I guess if I can get one a year I'll be ok. I got Wolfenstein this year and the new Tomb Raider looks pretty good too so I guess that could hold me for a year or so til they come out with another one.

Linda is still very pretty!!!

Absolutely! She could be 130 and she'd still look like this to me:

55ee088c552fa4ba73b4b443de09a720--linda-carter-woman-movie.jpg

Save single player Gaming?

Here's the formula.

Give me an interesting game with an immersive story line, and excellent dynamics I get 60-80 hours out of, with no DLC or micro-transactions.
Don't be greedy, I'm perfectly OK with 25-30 hours like ME1-3 was. Hell I no longer turn up my nose even at 18-20 hours nowadays.

Um AH

Maybe release Quake Champions to the general public before it's DED.

The assasins creed series is pretty good for a single player game. There are a few others as well, Fallout is great.. hummm... others as well I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Right, but who wouldn't want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 with a friend or family member? That was exactly what I thought I was going to get with TES Online, but I got shit instead, it was so terribly disappointing. What's more, for what TES online was, Warhammer Online did it better.

As for those older hot chicks, I liked Linsey Wagner and Barbara Eden was wow.

Don't be greedy, I'm perfectly OK with 25-30 hours like ME1-3 was. Hell I no longer turn up my nose even at 18-20 hours nowadays.

Yeah me too. I'm even happy with 12-14 hours especially if the replay value is good. I also don't mind DLC so long as it's not something that is required for the story but is instead just add on stories and game play. Mass Effect 2 had DLC about right IMO. You could never buy any of the DLC and be just fine and the story wouldn't really change. Or you could buy all of them and get several extra hours of quality game play with the ME2 atmosphere. Unlike ME3 From the Ashes which was obviously something written into the game originally but taken out for day 1 DLC.

I've been replaying the last of us and after that I'm going to finish the evil within 2. Then half life and probably dead space. Oh, then manhunt, probably the suffering, and might add f.e.a.r. to the mix. Maybe condemned, and alien isolation if I'm feeling it. Oh, soma too.
Wait, singleplayer is dying?

I've been replaying the last of us and after that I'm going to finish the evil within 2. Then half life and probably dead space. Oh, then manhunt, probably the suffering, and might add f.e.a.r. to the mix. Maybe condemned, and alien isolation if I'm feeling it. Oh, soma too.
Wait, singleplayer is dying?

Well since most of those are older games released years ago....yeah it does seem like it.

Bethesda's single player games have been, to me, pure gold. Every Elder Scrolls game, starting with Arena and going through Skyrim. Fallout 3 & 4. Love them.

When Zenimax opted to license Elder Scrolls, I opted out. No MMO for me.

I'm hoping the next elder scrolls will launch by Dec 2018.

Been playing the Witcher III to unwind lately. I can definitely get behind more 1 player games. Or games centered around co-op.

Sigh.... what can one do when you work an off-shift (e.g. Graveyard shift), and all your friends who game work day shift? How many of us older gamers (over the age of 25) or geezer gamers (over the age of 45) have experienced the foul-mouthed wrath of a 16 year old super gamer who doesn't quite grasp the concept that the reason why you don't have l33t gaming skills is because you work for a living and have family to take care of, so GETOFFMYLAWNYOUNGPUNK!

I'm on board. For the last several months all I'm playing is older games like Dead Space, Batman, Mass Effect and last night was Crysis 3. There just aren't any good single player games out lately that look any good. The new Wolfenstein looks pretty good and I'll probably give that a shot but that's about it.

Yeah, for multi player, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament and UT2004 were some of the best. (That and the original COD multi player.) I am not going to hand over $60 for a multiplayer only game or something where the single player was tacked on as an afterthought.)

Stopped multi player online game's ages ago not fun you always have a few bad apples who spoil it

Never was into it because I don't have the time to devote to it. And you can't play against or with people which pretty much; that is all they do.

Save single player Gaming?

Here's the formula.

Give me an interesting game with an immersive story line, and excellent dynamics I get 60-80 hours out of, with no DLC or micro-transactions.
No thanks. 80 hours is to damn long. I lose interest before beating games that long nowadays. It boggles my mind how people can put 100s of not 1000s of hours in shitty games like Skyrim.

Single player all the way baby. Never was a mulitiplayer, was never interested in muliplayer, never was curious about multiplayer. And this was from the very beginning of my gaming experience (many moons ago). Just not the way I play. (Homie turns off the music too, just gimme the game baby, keep the music).

I thoroughly enjoyed the Deus Ex prequels (Human Revolution, 2013 and Mankind Divided 2017). I'd highly recommend them,

Back