Best wireless mouse

cherrypik

Limp Gawd
I went to tigerdirect this weekend and did NOT like the feel and design for the Logitech G700. I am not a heavy gamer but do like playing BFBC2 once in a while and will probably pick up bf3.

I'm looking for suggestions...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am down to the following two wireless mouses:

Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Performance-Mouse-Mac/dp/B002HWRJBM

Logitech VX Revolution Ergonomic Design Cordless 2.4 GHz Wireless Laser
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revo...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303396359&sr=1-4

Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revolution-Cordless-Laser-Mouse/dp/B000HCT12O/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

the performance mx is ok, but a failure in mouse evolution for logitech.
the vx is techincally a laptop mouse, so its smaller, and not rechargeable.
the mx revolution is imo the best wireless mouse period. ive heard of some people having issues with theirs, but i never had any with mine. my only issue after about 4 yrs of heavy use was i had to replace the pads and am lately getting a doubelclick sometimes on my left button. i just wish logitech could have taken an awesome mouse and made it better, instead of making that friggin performance mx thing.
i went out today and picked up a RAT9 to test it out over the weekend. so far so good. expensive as hell, but there really arent too many options if you want wireless, rechargeable and something higher end. im gonna test this thing out for a week and if i dont like it enough im gonna scour the net for another new mx revolution if one is still obtainable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How long does the Logitech MX battery last?

My MS Wireless Natural Laser 6000 and Logitech M310 last months on a set of AAs. So that's my baseline.

My MS Wireless Natural Laser 6000 and Logitech M310 last months on a set of AAs. So that's my baseline.

the mx revolution is rechargeable. even has its own cradle.no need to buy any batteries at all. and my mouse still lasts days on a charge with heavy usage.

the performance mx is also rechargeable but im not sure if its the same calibre.

It lasts for a long time. I get about 2-3 weeks on a charge, depending on usage. Then I leave it in the cradle over night, and am set for another 2-3 weeks.

I would agree with Rogue71, easily the best mouse I've used. The Performance MX is not even close. I am tempted to just buy another MX revolution and have that as backup. I might try the RAT 9 though. A lot of people seem to like it.

I had a G7 back in the day... felt great... until it started freaking out... it was interference with HAM radio gear I think

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146022

I think the G700 is the current "top dog" for wireless mice, but based on my previous experiences with
Gigabyte mice, I have high hopes for this one.

the g700 has horrible battery life. dont buy it because its wireless as youll probly spend most of your time with it plugged in.
honestly its a step back in evolution, just as the performance mx is.
the body on the g700 feels cheap imo.

my mx revolution is giving me problems so i am also looking for a replacement. i tried the RAT9 and it pretty much blows. im trying the Mamba now and so far so good. at $114 CAD i couldnt turn it down.

I like the G700... I get a couple days out of it at a time, and unlike alot of wireless mice like the revolution, it has a removable battery, which brings me to my next point...

If it has a common size rechargable (AA), you cant really complain. If you want a laser or high report rate mouse... you are going to use up more battery. If you want more battery, you add more weight. There is no way around it unless we start using more advanced battery technology. Thats just how it is. Now, for the [H] inclined, I would think that a rechargable battery unit for say... $20 to charge all your AA, AAA, 9v, etc... would be part of your gear. So all you need is to swap out the battery when it gets low and you will never have to plug in your Sidewinder MX8, G700, Performance MX, etc... So much for doing this with a Revolution. IMO, that mouse was a step back from the G7 which sported a removable (still custom, but at least removable) pair of batteries and a charger in the base unit. The MX Revolution missed the mark on that one.

I can poke holes in the MX Revolution all day. The useless side-scroll wheel, its horrible placement, its lack of removable battery which leads to its eventual death, 800dpi max, lack of glass tracking which the Performance MX does very well (I use it daily). The Revolution was a step back from the G7 and MX1000 in a few respects.

The G700 has the ability to have every button remapped, macro-ed, etc. It has a removable AA battery. Its not as sleek looking, being all textured ABS, but its what gets the job done. Its not what I would consider perfect, as I can pick and choose features from other mice that I like and this lacks, but overall, I would say its pretty much the best wireless you can get. The Sidewinder MX8 is also worth mentioning. I loved that mouse... used it for soooo long. I just have alot of mice and the G700 has taken its place for now (and the wired fireglider gets most of my use anyways). But I would say the G700 is the wireless mouse to beat... unless Giga-byte pulls out another shocker and really did a nice job on that new one, which is possible. FWIW, their m8000x uses an almost identical shape as the MX revolution... so if you liked that one for its overall shape, but hated that useless side-wheel, its a sweeeeeet mouse.

I like my Performance MX mouse. Granted, the battery is relatively short since it only uses 1 AA battery. I think I get about 14 - 16 hours of battery life while gaming since the mouse is constantly being used. If I'm just surfing the web or whatever, I think it lasts about 8 - 10 days.

Regarding battery recharge, it is not a big deal since I already have a battery charger and a set of rechargeable batteries. Therefore, I don't need to plug in the USB cord if I don't want to.

I'm thinking about buying another one for my other computer if I see on sale for $65 - $75.

I like the G700... I get a couple days out of it at a time, and unlike alot of wireless mice like the revolution, it has a removable battery, which brings me to my next point...

If it has a common size rechargable (AA), you cant really complain. If you want a laser or high report rate mouse... you are going to use up more battery. If you want more battery, you add more weight. There is no way around it unless we start using more advanced battery technology. Thats just how it is. Now, for the [H] inclined, I would think that a rechargable battery unit for say... $20 to charge all your AA, AAA, 9v, etc... would be part of your gear. So all you need is to swap out the battery when it gets low and you will never have to plug in your Sidewinder MX8, G700, Performance MX, etc... So much for doing this with a Revolution. IMO, that mouse was a step back from the G7 which sported a removable (still custom, but at least removable) pair of batteries and a charger in the base unit. The MX Revolution missed the mark on that one.

I can poke holes in the MX Revolution all day. The useless side-scroll wheel, its horrible placement, its lack of removable battery which leads to its eventual death, 800dpi max, lack of glass tracking which the Performance MX does very well (I use it daily). The Revolution was a step back from the G7 and MX1000 in a few respects.

The G700 has the ability to have every button remapped, macro-ed, etc. It has a removable AA battery. Its not as sleek looking, being all textured ABS, but its what gets the job done. Its not what I would consider perfect, as I can pick and choose features from other mice that I like and this lacks, but overall, I would say its pretty much the best wireless you can get. The Sidewinder MX8 is also worth mentioning. I loved that mouse... used it for soooo long. I just have alot of mice and the G700 has taken its place for now (and the wired fireglider gets most of my use anyways). But I would say the G700 is the wireless mouse to beat... unless Giga-byte pulls out another shocker and really did a nice job on that new one, which is possible. FWIW, their m8000x uses an almost identical shape as the MX revolution... so if you liked that one for its overall shape, but hated that useless side-wheel, its a sweeeeeet mouse.

first off the mx revolution was one of the best mice logitech ever produced. it wasnt perfect, but it was pretty close. yes the thumb wheel was pretty useless, but... the battery life was excellent. the fact that it wasnt removeable could have been solved with a door. this is 2011... i do not want to have to keep pulling batteries out of devices to recharge them. i still have mine after many years of heavy use and the battery still holds a charge for days. the 800dpi isn't as bad as youre making it out to be...most people wouldn't use more than 1000 dpi anyways for everyday use. it actually has a recharge cradle....i dont want some stupid cable dangling around. on top of everything else its one of the most comfortable mice ive ever had my hands on. as for the performance mx's glass tracking?? i still dont understand this whole gimmick. how many people actually use their mouse on a freaking glass table??? imo its one of the most useless gimmicks they've come up with. i like the idea of a mouse tracking on a wide variety of surfaces...but the vast majority of people never use glass to mouse on. its been said over and over again online, the fact is that the performance mx was a huge step backwards from the mx revolution.

I'm still on the fence. It feels like I have to extend my fingers more for the G700. Also the back and forward button seams to be a tad back of the mouse where I have to actually bend my thumb.

I had a G7 back in the day... felt great... until it started freaking out... it was interference with HAM radio gear I think

thread necro...

Did you ever fix yours? I love the G7 but it's not useable when it constantly freezes...it's strange but there are days where it's fine...

What do ppl think about Mamba (omitting the price)?

love using the mamba, I've been using the original for over a year now

going to get a razer blutooth mouse as well for when I'm on the go

I would say the M705, I absolutely loved the shape and would get one if they had a wired version. It also has very good battery life and other technical specs.

im looking for something to replace my G7 with a sticky scroll wheel. looking at newegg and amazon because i have substantial gift cards to both. i want something that will last me a while. mostly i like hand mice like my G7 and my old G5. newegg doesnt seem to have any sidewinders since X3. not really a fan of replacing AAs every couple days, so id like something with a base or plug or a rechargeable battery pack like the G7s. any suggestions?

im looking for something to replace my G7 with a sticky scroll wheel. looking at newegg and amazon because i have substantial gift cards to both. i want something that will last me a while. mostly i like hand mice like my G7 and my old G5. newegg doesnt seem to have any sidewinders since X3. not really a fan of replacing AAs every couple days, so id like something with a base or plug or a rechargeable battery pack like the G7s. any suggestions?

If you like the G7 (I still have a couple of those and use them today) you should also like the G700, which is now my main gaming mouse. The scroll wheel has two modes, momentum and notched, what I assume you mean by sticky. Almost everything I didn't like about the G7 has been fixed with G700, I think the scroll wheel mis much better and there are now four thumb buttons, the one on the G7 simply wasn't enough.

If you like the G7 (I still have a couple of those and use them today) you should also like the G700, which is now my main gaming mouse. The scroll wheel has two modes, momentum and notched, what I assume you mean by sticky. Almost everything I didn't like about the G7 has been fixed with G700, I think the scroll wheel mis much better and there are now four thumb buttons, the one on the G7 simply wasn't enough.

yeah i like that one except im worried about the batteries. it takes AAs right? i think i have some rechargeable ones around, but i dont want to have to open up the mouse and all that if they die while im gaming. i like the G7 where i can just eject the battery pack and swap it out real quick. i actually mean my scroll wheel is sticky though. spilled something i think and its all fucked up now. only scrolls one way, and only sometimes at that. definitely true about the thumb buttons. never understood why they didnt put at least 2 buttons there.

Yeah, the G700 used one AA battery, lasts about a day, not quick to replace though it shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 seconds. There's a little red reminder light that starts to flash when the battery is critical, there's just no reason to have the mouse die in the middle of anything.

Picked up my G700 today on a Boxing Day Sale for $39.99. Only used for a few hours but, at that price, I'm very pleased.:)

yeah i like that one except im worried about the batteries. it takes AAs right? i think i have some rechargeable ones around, but i dont want to have to open up the mouse and all that if they die while im gaming. i like the G7 where i can just eject the battery pack and swap it out real quick. i actually mean my scroll wheel is sticky though. spilled something i think and its all fucked up now. only scrolls one way, and only sometimes at that. definitely true about the thumb buttons. never understood why they didnt put at least 2 buttons there.

did you try opening the mouse and cleaning the wheel? I had a double-click problem with G7, opened it up and fixed it with some online tutorial - it is fine now, except that it fell on the floor once and the scroll-wheel clicker is broken. it works but there's no "click" as a plastic part broke. I really wish they still sold these mice. Don't understand why Logitech doesn't have a mouse with the same battery swap system. I would consider G700, but like you, I am scared by the battery system.

I was almost convinced by the Mamba but the lack of tilt-wheel kinda breaks the deal for me... :(

Last edited:
I would consider G700, but like you, I am scared by the battery system.

I have both the G7 and the G700 and people are making WAY too much of the G700 battery system. Yes, it's not as quick to exchange batteries as the G7 but it has a nice and noticeable warning light and it's single AA so it's cheap and easy to replace when the battery needs replacing and it only takes 10 to 15 seconds to replace.

The G700 is so much better than the G7. More and better buttons, better ergonomics for righties and a MUCH better scroll wheel. Honestly, I just don't see the battery system being such a major downgrade to offset everything else about the G700 that's just better than the G7.

I have both the G7 and the G700 and people are making WAY too much of the G700 battery system. Yes, it's not as quick to exchange batteries as the G7 but it has a nice and noticeable warning light and it's single AA so it's cheap and easy to replace when the battery needs replacing and it only takes 10 to 15 seconds to replace.

The G700 is so much better than the G7. More and better buttons, better ergonomics for righties and a MUCH better scroll wheel. Honestly, I just don't see the battery system being such a major downgrade to offset everything else about the G700 that's just better than the G7.

yeah thats kinda where i am right now. i like all the features of the G700, except i want the battery system of the G7. i am 90% sure i am going with a G700 though. whats a good sale price? i dont check B&Ms very often, do they come up on slickdeals at all? looks like lancelot got one for $40, is ~$50 a decent price?

well, logitech's suggested price is 99, so i'd say 50 is a great price :)

let me know how u like it

ok, the G7 signal pauses finally killed me and I found G700 for $60 at Best Buy, so I snatched it yesterday.

Gotta say the mouse feels great. Didn't have to swap the battery yet but I know it'll be painful after the G7 system. Ah well, it seems there isn't really any other better solution out there for me so I'll just have to manage it wisely.

But the mouse is really nice, smooth and precise. I did not notice the lag problem that some people reported with tiny movements (which they apparently fixed with a patch).

Overall seems like a nice replacement.

I've got a Performance Mouse MX that I like, but was thinking about a G700, too. I have a "unified" wireless keyboard that I use with my MX, but have seen mixed info on unified items working with the G700 receiver. Anyone know if it works?

ok, the G7 signal pauses finally killed me and I found G700 for $60 at Best Buy, so I snatched it yesterday.

Gotta say the mouse feels great. Didn't have to swap the battery yet but I know it'll be painful after the G7 system. Ah well, it seems there isn't really any other better solution out there for me so I'll just have to manage it wisely.

But the mouse is really nice, smooth and precise. I did not notice the lag problem that some people reported with tiny movements (which they apparently fixed with a patch).

Overall seems like a nice replacement.

i was planning on getting mine at best buy when i get home for $100 because i have a $270 gift card there. where did you get it for $60? think its a national sale or just at your branch?

i was planning on getting mine at best buy when i get home for $100 because i have a $270 gift card there. where did you get it for $60? think its a national sale or just at your branch?

I should mention I am in Canada. I think it's a national Boxing Week sale, or at least provincial.

G7 - favorite mouse
X8 Sidewinder - horrible shape and horrible plastic feel
MX Revolution - current mouse and feels better then the G7 but prefer the battery system of the G7

Im too debating on refurbishing my MX(new battery, new feet, crack it open and clean it out) but a new mouse is tempting.

dang im like 6 hours away from canada. :(

poke around your stores, maybe one of them has it for cheaper. Around here, only BB seems to have them on sale.

Actually, just did a quick check and newegg.com and amazon.com both have it for $80 - still a decent discount.

hmm best buy doesnt price match at all do they? i have this gift card...

Back