Best Wireless Headset for Gaming?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 22, 2018.

1. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

I really like my Bose qc35's, but they're not cheap...Good mic and great sound, uses BT. Noise cancelling works great when travelling or at work (damn air handlers are noisy as hell). I honestly use them way more than I thought I would when I got them. probably 20-30 hours between charges.

2. Filter

Filter [H]ardForum Junkie

i gave up on wireless 7.1 head phones im now using a SB ae-5 and a set of byer dynamics dt 990 pro's

totally has changed what i can hear for positional audio. i use the 7.1 virtual of the SB now.

but its wired.

tungt88 likes this.
  3. stiltner

stiltner [H]ardForum Junkie

I just picked up a pair of Corsair Void Pro RGB. The sound is insane. Like, ear crushingly loud and when put into 7.1 mode. I can hear a goddamn gnat fart in game from a mile away, its insane.

Give em a try. Its my first wireless set, I break the shit out of the wired ones pulling and tripping over cords and shit, so hopefully these last longer than 12 months.

4. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I still love my Void Pros. I gave the Alienware to my daughter to use for a while to get another opinion.

RogueTadhg likes this.
  5. stiltner

stiltner [H]ardForum Junkie

I had Steelseries wired before this, the mic cable gave up the goat one day. Figured if I go wireless at least I can eliminate a problem that seems to plague me every time.

6. StoleMyOwnCar

StoleMyOwnCar 2[H]4U

Except a lot of people don't really understand how valuable having very high quality sound is to any gaming or listening experience. Generally speaking, it's also the only purchase you make in any gaming setup that actually keeps its value throughout any period of time. Graphics cards get outdated. Monitors get new technology regularly. CPU's get scrapped for the next one.

But you can have a high quality set of speakers from decades ago that still sound just as good now as they did back then. Audio is an investment, not a new GPU that you'll probably throw out in a few years (for some people on this forum that "few years" is an "at most"). There's obviously some snake oil in the field, but investing sizable sums does pay off.

7. soulesschild

soulesschild [H]ardness Supreme

I love the idea of the Audeze Mobius but anything with non-replaceable batteries really irks me. Especially at that price range.

The A50's had this problem where I loved loved loved the headset but once the batteries shitted out you couldn't replace them (easily yourself that is) without going through their then (I believe Logitech bought Astro out so not sure on the process now) annoying and long replacement process.

Currently back to wired with the SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC.

RogueTadhg likes this.
  8. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

I haven't tried the Void Pros, I had issues with Corsairs 2100 headset basically coming apart after about 8 months, twice. I have had the logitech G9s for years and no issues, except for the closed ear which provides enough pressure it is slightly uncomfortable to me, I prefer open back. I have not yet tried with the G933 or the Void Pro.

Currently I went back to Wired, and just made sure I had a long cable.

For my Xbox One I use the Turtle Beach Elite. It is very comfortable for me to use and the mic and controller work well, but I have not yet tried it with my PC. The sound isn't as great as I would like, but that could just be from the Xbox One.

9. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

I've been rocking the G930's for what, 6 years now? I decided to upgrade to the G933's. Man, let me just say, these are without a doubt the most comfortable headset I've ever used. I wear them all day. Have them connected to my work phone to answer and make calls, listen to music otherwise or escape for a quick PUBG match. They don't feel flimsy. In that I mean my G930's always felt a bit "delicate", but they never broke in the 6 years I've been using them. And there have been some "g'dammit" moments of tossing them on my desk rather violently. The G930's creek and pop when not on my head while the G933's don't do that, yet. Mic quality on the G933 is excellent. People I talk to on the phone say it sounds great, those in game say the same. Positional audio with these headsets is good deal better than the G930's they replaced. Clarity is also markedly better. And they have decent bass response with good overall range. The 930's were kind of flat.

Would I buy them again? Yes. Worth $100 in my opinion.

10. oMek

oMek Gawd

Bought a set of void pros a few weeks ago, did not really like them. Decided to jump on the Logitech 933 deal bestbuy has right now. $99 plus tax. They are miles above the void pros.

11. Kyle_Bennett

This one?
    Logitech - G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset for PC, PS4, Xbox One - White

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...pc-ps4-xbox-one-white/5592427.p?skuId=5592427

I think I will grab a pair to test seeing all the praise.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  12. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

Never tried those, but have heard that the G933 is a major upgrade over the rest of Logitech's gaming headset lineup (including sound quality).

13. oMek

oMek Gawd

Yep that's them, good price from what I've seen the last few weeks. The void pros did not sit on my ears right and I would get a random crackle from the mic now and then. I use push to talk for mumble and discord, being able to assign a button on the headset for that is great.

14. Kyle_Bennett

Just bought a G933 wireless set. Next day shipping free. Hell they had same day to me for $6. Put it in Hot Deals too, so thanks for the heads up.

I LOVE the way my Void Pros fit.

15. oMek

oMek Gawd

Np at all. The rear bottom of the voids does not seal against my head. Get tons of sound leakage there. Oh well, the wife can deal with em haha.

16. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

Those are the ones I just bought and have been using for a few days now.

I'd say my only complaint is the wireless distance. And it's really not anything to complain about, unless you go strolling all over your house expecting a good connection. But my old G930 could easily go to the other side of my house, and even outside a little and stay connected. These new G933's can barely make it out of my office before crapping out.

17. dvsman

dvsman [H]ard|Gawd

I got the Logitech 933 (in white too!) from Best Buy on Black Friday last year (IIRC) since I had a bunch of BB certs from my Best Buy credit card to burn through.

So far, they work great, I bought a headset stand with built in USB ports off of Amazon for them so they have a nice resting place close to some charging cables too. Great setup.

Here it is on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019PI9QFC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If there was a way to rig up a wireless charging system, that would be just about perfect. The only nit I would pick if I had to come up with something negative at all is that the microphone stalk is a fold out piece of plastic that when folded in, is flush with the surrounding plastic and you have to pick at it.

18. Kyle_Bennett

I know you guys hear this all the time, but "wow, that was fast."

IMG_20180622_120557.jpg

NoOther and Riccochet like this.
  19. NoOther

So we should expect the full review in a few minutes?

20. Kyle_Bennett

If we were a normal hardware site that hands out awards for ad revue, the answer would be yes. However, we actually like to USE the products we show off to you and give you a review. I know, makes for terrible YT content.

21. NoOther

What, you can't use them and review them as fast as they can be delivered? You need to step your game up to quantum reviewing practices! :D

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  22. oMek

oMek Gawd

Let us know how you like them. And yeah that was super fast!

23. Kyle_Bennett

Yeah, we kinda suck like that.

NoOther likes this.
  24. Arioch

Arioch Limp Gawd

Anyone use SteelSeries 61463 Arctis 7 headphones and have an opinion on them?

25. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

26. Kyle_Bennett

Grabbed this today. Kingston Hyper X Cloud Alpha.

Hyper X Cloud Alpha.jpg

tungt88 and bpizzle1 like this.
  27. bpizzle1

bpizzle1 2[H]4U

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. It's at the top of my list for my next headset.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought these were the Cloud Flights. Oh well, I'll still read the review anyway lol. I'm enjoying this new headset fetish that you've developed, Kyle.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  28. tungt88

tungt88 [H]ard|Gawd

HyperX Cloud series is pretty good in the price/performance category -- and they're easy to get, too (available in all major stores from B&M to online).

Most of the Cloud line is based off the Takstar Pro 80 "bang/buck" headphones.

So-so breakdown (not the best, but ok review):

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  29. Kyle_Bennett

Goddamn I hate cords. I move around too much in the office for cords. I feel like a fucking cowboy with a lasso trying to keep it out of the legs of my horse.

30. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

We're all going to be dying of cancer someday due to all this wireless shit.

31. Kyle_Bennett

Good. At least I will not die with a cord around my neck.

Buttoneer likes this.
  32. Kyle_Bennett

33. Buttoneer

Buttoneer [H]Lite

Hi all, I currently have a Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset. It's 7.1 surround with sort of felt earcup and leatherette headband. The felt picks up dust and the headband gets uncomfortable but otherwise it's not a bad headset. However the cord is driving me nuts now and I want to go wireless. So here I am. Link to product here https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Headsets/VENGEANCE®-1500-Dolby-7-1-USB-Gaming-Headset/p/CA-9011112-WW

My daily commute headphone is a Sennheiser Momentum wireless Bluetooth. It's a great headphone, capable with both music and speech and I can connect it to my PC via Bluetooth or cable for listening to music when the Corsair runs out of ability. Have found it comfortable on long transatlantic flights and continental rail journeys, and it has amazing battery life compared with a set of Parrot Zik's that I used to use. Although in truth the Zik's did have some amazing soundscape features which I miss.

Sennheisers here; https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentum-wireless

Importantly, I quite like to listen to music on a headphone, I like some quality, and I love wireless. But I also don't want to give up 7.1 for gaming.

So requirements are;

Headset uses no more than one USB if there's a charger or gamedac (I have no USB's left!)
    Good for music
    Good for games
    Wireless
    Surround please - not sure if I can discern the difference between 5.1 and 7.1
    Comfortable - subjective I know but most reviews I have seen tend to be quite consistent when discussing any given headset
    Don't care about RGB
    Really don't want ghastly bright colours like PS4 blue or Xbox green but perhaps there's a trade off.

That still leaves me with a fairly large range to choose from at all sorts of price points;

Steelseries Arctis 7 looks like a bargain at current discounted prices. £130, ticks all the boxes, but noting a couple of comments on sound quality in the thread which seems to contradict reviews. Comfort is something this seems to major on too. Some comments about build quality.

Astro Gaming A50 breaks the ghastly colour rule but has a handy dock for recharging. Lots of love in the thread and £215 so a big jump from the Arctis 7. I do like the idea that I can buy a version which allows me to plug in my Xbox.

Logitech G933 is fugly but those reviews are exceptional and there's a lot of love in this thread for it. I can get a white pair for £130 but black is much pricier at £180 direct from Logitech. Seems like it would be worth shopping around.

Steelseries Wireless Pro is the new Arctis 7 but it comes with a great little box of tricks and two batteries allowing near continuous use. Same comfort as the Arctis 7 and better audio but worth £300? Maybe, but not in comparison with the £130 for an Arctis 7. That's what ruins this one but the battery swap is super-compelling.

And then there's the Audeze Modius. £350 plus I'd want a stand, but this is for proper planar magnetic. At £350. That's incredible. Looks like the Bluetooth is limited to one device connection at a time and the 'surround sound' is more like 3D processing and current reviews are few and far between. Not sure how I feel about spending that much but hype is hype and I got onboard the train while researching for options.

Am I missing anything obvious?

34. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

It really isn't, though they make it out to be- it's just cheap for Audeze :).

My Massdrop x Hifiman HE-4XX (US$169) are 'proper planar' and currently are in the running for my favored set of cans for gaming. Not wireless of course, just pointing out the pricing.

Given that, though, I'd (and have!) seriously consider the Audeze if the pricing isn't a huge impediment.

35. Buttoneer

Buttoneer [H]Lite

That's a £295 headphone in the UK and not wireless, but can see the keener US pricing (and they're good looking headphones too) so certainly take your point when comparing US prices.

I was previously looking at the OPPO PM-2 though I note they're no longer making products so perhaps a lucky miss. 700USD for those but lovely to look at and by all accounts great sounding.

It's amazing how nerd-logic can have you sailing past £130 through to £350 without really trying.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  36. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Hey Kyle_Bennett, I'd love to see a review of Audeze' Mobius head-tracking wireless gaming headset. Hit them up at their support page and see if they're up for earning the [H] stamp of approval!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  37. Kyle_Bennett

Will give it a shot. Email sent. For $400 we would have high expectations.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    IdiotInCharge likes this.
  38. Buttoneer

Buttoneer [H]Lite

Me too, but I'm at a crossroads. If I shell out for the Steelseries Arctis 7 I'll wish I had gone for the Wireless Pro. But if I go for that and for £50 more could have had something truly amazing but for the want of some patience then I'd kick myself.

39. Kyle_Bennett

Hello Kyle

Thanks for your inquiry. We’ve forwarded your message to the appropriate parties who will contact you if relevant to our plans.

We appreciate you reaching out to Audeze.

Best Regards
    The Audeze Support Team

That all said, they have a 30 day return policy....

Buttoneer, IdiotInCharge and NoOther like this.
  40. LigTasm

LigTasm [H]ardness Supreme

I just picked up the Corsair Void Pro (could care less about RGB, shut it off) as I needed some wireless gaming cans and Kyle gave them a good recommendation. So far just as comfortable as my Sennheiser HD598's without the worlds twistiest cord that always gets stuck under the chair.

My only question is, is there a spot in the software that shows the battery charge? It would be nice to know at a glance.