Best Thermal Compound

Sextron

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm moving and packed my computer into a suitcase to check in for my flight. I'm gonna need some thermal compound to set everything back up.

What's the best kind / brand of compound these days?

Overclocking at all? I have always personally avoided the silver-based stuff, can be a PITA to clean off. I've been using MX-4 I think, it's not the best, not the worst. I think just about any of the stuff out there would be fine.

Or just pull a Kyle and go with slice of cheese.

How you apply and mount / seat is more important than what TIM you use. Any of the top brand names. MX4, GC Extreme, NT-H1, Chill Factor III, Kryonaut to name a few. Use one that you are familiar with and now its will spread and set well. Use a dob in midldle of CPU about the size of a cooked grain of rice.

I like the Noctua NH-1 stuff, but all the "big" names all pretty comparable. Some are cheaper, some are way more expensive with far more fancy packaging. At the end of the day, they're all going to be within 1C of each other.

The Noctua seems to be the best price/performance ratio in my experience.

I jumped from AS5 to MX4 recently. MX4 is much easier to work with.

Maybe some slight OC. I've always used AS5, but sounds like I'll give MX4 or NT-H1 a shot.

Thanks for the input.

GC extreme and kryonaut.
They win in all the 'roundups'
Unless your wanna get into liquid metal.

I personally use GC extreme. When I run this tube out I may switch to kryonaut.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Noctua DH-1 on my end mostly. I got a lot of ot from buying their coolers. Would be a shame not to use it I guess.

Works really great, fairly foolproof, ready to go right away and lasts a long time, reasonable cost:
MX4 and Noctua

Others can be (very slightly, if at all) better but are more fiddly.

MX-4. Why?

1. cheap
2. with a few degrees of the most expensive compounds
3. easy to apply AND remove
4. time tested

For all we know there might be some unbranded Noctua or other high end paste in there.

Considering there are only two major manufactures for pretty much every thermal compound out there.... Dow/Corning and Shin Etsu basically make like 99% of the thermal compounds that are sold.

Back