Best speaker setup for under $300

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
It will be used for listening to about 90% music off my computer in my dorm. I have a Logitech Z2300 system that has been great for the last 2 years, but something is wrong with the RCA board or possibly the main circuit board, so I need to replace the system.

What would you guys recommend? I'd prefer to buy all new.

Thanks !

2.0 System

For strictly within your budget; Swan M200MkII or Dayton APA150 + Polk Monitor30. Keep in mind that the Polk Monitor speakers periodically go on sale so sign up for their newsletter and keep your eye out every Tuesday/Thursday, weekends, and holidays. For slightly above your budget; Dayton APA150 + Energy RC10. What's nice about going with a 2.0 setup is that you can put the money into getting quality components and then later add a sub anytime you want (budget permitting). With the Dayton APA150 as the amp, you don't need anything special to add a sub, just use the line out on the back of the amp and plug it in to your sub. With the Swan M200 MKII, you can still add a sub but you need to use an RCA splitter like this, this, or a pair of these.

2.1 System

For strictly within your budget; Swan M50W but it needs a bit of burn in and its out of stock until December. For way over your budget; Dayton APA150 + Polk Monitor30 or Energy RC10 + BIC F12 or Bic VK12.

If you like to listen to a lot of pop/rap/hip-hop/etc you're going to have a hard time finding a sub to compete with the Z2300 in terms of being able to put out a ton of chest thumping bass. For its size/price that thing is really good thumper, just not very musical/accurate. Relatively speaking, the sub in the Swan M50W is going to be a lot more musical than the Logitechs, especially for rock/jazz/acoustic/classical music.

You might also want to have a look through this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1374878/best-2-1-computer-speakers-under-300

Thank you, come again.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
craigslist a reciever and pick up some sexy speakers with your remaining budget

If you're willing to buy used, this is a great deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swan-m50w-s...592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24080060

You'd be hard pressed to find a better AIO 2.1 setup for the money. Counterpoint made some great suggestions too-if you're willing to put in the legwork for a DIY setup, that's the most ideal way of getting the highest fidelity for the money. However, I don't think you'll be able to include a sub in your budget if you go DIY.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
craigslist a reciever and pick up some sexy speakers with your remaining budget

The only reason I didn't recommend going with the whole receiver route is because the OP mentioned being in a dorm room, and I know those things are very limited on space. In terms of size, I think the Swan M50W would be the best system for the amount of space it takes up, if that matters to you. Bookshelfs like the Polk Monitor30 aren't that big, but in a cramped dorm room you're talking Godzilla relatively speaking. So if space is also a big concern with you (as it would be with me) I definitely wouldn't hesitate to go with either of the Swans I mentioned.

By the way, what kind of music do you listen to? What kind of soundcard are you using?

Last edited:
I mostly agree with counterpoint, there's a couple other bookshelves you can consider in between the Polk and Energy but those are great options, the Pioneer BS21 might be worth a look too if you wanna go budget or with something slightly smaller.

That being said, finding room for a sub in a dorm might be just as hard as finding desk space for some large bookshelves though... I had zero floor space in my Illinois dorm beyond the three feet of walking space between the beds/desks. A futon and fridge lined the wall opposite the bunk beds and the desks took up the remaining wall space at either wall on the end of the room. It was tight even under the desks! I doubt dorms have gotten any bigger, and I doubt walls have gotten any thicker (or neighbors more tolerant!).

What I'm getting at is that even the M50W might be too much speaker/sub for his space and living conditions. I'd probably just spend $100-150 on a pair of smaller powered speakers (Samson MediaOne 3a or 4a, M-Audio AV40, refurb Audioengine A2, etc.) and spend the other half of the budget on nice headphones.

Pioneer BS21's do not sound good nearfield.

If you can find a pair used, KEF Q100s are phenomenal for nearfield use.

While some of the suggestions seem solid, I would challenge you to look more toward the future and re-think your position on your budget. No, I am not asking you to spend more money up front. You can get started with $300 dollars no doubt.

I would avoid a receiver as it will take up space near you and cause you to consider how you're going to run those additional wires. Something to think about. on top of, you are using your limited budget to double up on tech you already have, i.e., your computers sound capabilities.

Since you already have dedicated sound hardware, either on-board sound or an add-in sound card solution. You need to play to that strength and start your search with powered speakers. I would completely and totally avoid any consumer solution. Sure, there are some good options out there but if you're a music lover like I am then why not take a route that will put the best speakers for your budget in front of you. Your ear's will thank you.

I have KRK G2 Rokit 8's and when I play any flac whatsoever, it's almost a religious experience. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon? ... Incredible. by the way, I have the expensive Corsair Sp2500 setup and it does not even come close to having the same sound stage and depth that professional studio monitors can give you. Side by side comparison of the two speakers and the same songs, the Corsairs are missing so much detail that it will shock you.

Getting back to the budget aspect I mentioned at the start, in the future, when you have additional funds, add a nice 10" or 12" sub to the KRK / Studio Monitors. Just make sure you don't go cheap. Also, the larger the sub, the more accuracy you are going to get. So avoid 8" subs period.

Just as important as speakers is the software solution you use to play your music. I would highly suggest getting a DPS effects add-on. There are a few great ones out there that will give you the warmth and sparkle of a tube that will make your music sound all that much better. Loads better.

I use iZotope Ozone for Winamp and have for several years. It's amazing and when I share that experience of the KRK's, Flacs and Ozone with friends or family, I always get, "WOW" and "That is how you listen to music!" time and time again.

The best part is, if you look carefully, you can find new KRK G2 6" for about $150 a speaker shipped free.

If you have a Guitar Center near you, go in and ask to be taken to the Monitor / Speaker room. A salesman will demo the speakers for you. You will not be disappointed.

When I was younger, I was very narrow minded in that I latched on to one thing, one direction and went that route. I'm not trying to offend / dis anyone, only, that I am trying to convey that sometimes the best solution, especially when it evolves a passion, avoiding self imposed limits and taking a multi-step direction to a solution will have the best outcome.

Get the KRK's, then when you can afford it, a nice 10" to 12" Sub.

One last bit of really great info that a lot of people do not know. Sweetwater /. Zzsounds will let you ask for a cheaper price on a product. You do this by finding the product you want on their respective web sites and then calling their sales people. Companies force business's to NOT advertise below a certain price point. This is a fact. And often, when you see "open box" or "b-stock" items listed at cheaper prices. This is really the same new product that they are selling cheaper in a round-about way. Ask around, you will find that these practices really do take place.

Just recently I was able to buy brand new G2 8"s, yes, I have 2 pair of these amazing speakers for $189 each shipped free.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you're considering powered monitors, you should also take a look at Emotiva's offerings, albeit more expensive. If going that route, they are very comparable to Swan's 2.0 offerings.

Last edited:
Anything Emotiva makes is both well made and sound excellent. Makes me grumpy that I can't try more of their gear. Should have married a rich girl.

Back