Best software media/music player

ourfpshero

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
1,237
specifically i want a music player that has a great graphic eq. my laptop audio is clean but featureless (no control panel of any kind)

windows media player has a lousy eq- what does everbody use here?
 
foobar or winamp

foobar is you like to customize

winamp if you want a jack-of-all-trades
 
i used winamp for years, but when the new versions have become overloaded with features i switched to foobar2k and never regretted it since.
 
Still using WinAMP 2.91 here, the last best version... ;)

I have foobar installed and use it primarily for conversions between formats (77 DVD FLAC library to whatever lossy format) but that's about it. WinAMP 2.91 just does what I need it to do so, never had any reason to use anything else for playback.
 
Winamp and Foobar..I use Octoshape for the Internet radio in Winamp, runs at 192kbps. Seems to have a cleaner sound
Winamp is getting a little bloated..but what the hey! its free
 
Another vote for foobar if you're a windows user. Itunes is junk, I can't stand it at all.
 
I love the Zune software ver. 2.5

Organization of music/videos is lovely, no eq though but that's fine for me cause no other music player sounds better, IMO. JetAudio is nice, but I prefer Zune.
 
I used to use Foobar, but one day it suddenly freezed on me whenever I try to start it up. So now I switched to Winamp, which is the only other program I like that can do ASIO out.
 
Using iTunes for most of my songs and songbird for my loseless since it reads off the iTunes list also. Both are very chunky, I might give foobar a try.
 
I used winamp for years, then I discovered foobar. I like the simplicity as well as tabbed play lists in foobar. Foobar plays just about any audio file that you throw at it. I use foobar for all of my audio, and VLC for all my video. Those are the only two apps you will ever need for media players.
 
I tried using Foobar for a while, but got annoyed at just HOW customizable it was. I used FooAVA for a while, that was nice, but you have to download 10 extra things for it, then you get the new version of Foobar and half the extras don't work with it... then I couldn't find an older version of Foobar to download....

I went back to Winamp :rolleyes:
 
I don't look at the Foobar UI often. I keep it minimized to tray, on random, and use keyboard shortcuts to skip songs that I don't feel like listening to.
 
I tried using Foobar for a while, but got annoyed at just HOW customizable it was. I used FooAVA for a while, that was nice, but you have to download 10 extra things for it, then you get the new version of Foobar and half the extras don't work with it... then I couldn't find an older version of Foobar to download....

I went back to Winamp :rolleyes:

That's exactly how I have felt when I have occassionally tried Foobar out. Winamp just has everything working out-of-the-box and in my opinion has a very efficient, good looking and small footprint UI skin included (I like the modern basic skin myself a lot).

Foobar looks almost like some business process planning and management application by default and just slaps a bunch of interface building blocks in front of you expecting that you'll modify it by yourself. :)
 
What's wrong with using windows media player or VLC? I know I'm about to get abuse for that but I don't see anything wrong with WMP....
 
If WMP works for you, then keep using it. I can rattle off a dozen or so things I think WMP does "wrong", but it's all relative.

One player I'm keeping a tab on is dBpoweramp Renaissance/µPlayer, which is basically an audio player service that can be controlled via a command line or by an external GUI. Kind of useless right now, but still interesting.
 
If WMP works for you, then keep using it. I can rattle off a dozen or so things I think WMP does "wrong", but it's all relative.

So what do you thin it does wrong? I'm not trying to start a flame war, just interested.
 
foobar FTMFW

if you've been away for a while, give the latest version a shot-

you won't be disappointed.
 
Back
Top