• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best realtime graphics to date?

murkris118

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
467
I know Ass creed Unity! is terribly broken on all platforms but credit where its due, I have never seen such detailed interiors in any game or real life!!. The Physically based rendering is just insane. What do u think guys?. Please no hate posts about UBISOFT or the game guys :D... Feast your eyes instead. The graphics are not even maxed out. Everything was set to Very High. 1024 x 768 downscaled. Bad internet connection!!

aou93r.jpg


110yve9.jpg


9pmhyu.jpg


2nv6ptu.jpg


2cfa3oz.jpg


157m5wi.jpg


2gv1xzb.jpg
 
I think my vote is for Crysis 3. A lot of games look pretty good in a "vista" photo such as the ones above, but if you get really close up to some of the textures and models you start to see where they cut corners. Crysis 3 looks pretty great through and through.
 
I think my vote is for Crysis 3. A lot of games look pretty good in a "vista" photo such as the ones above, but if you get really close up to some of the textures and models you start to see where they cut corners. Crysis 3 looks pretty great through and through.

Agreed. Metro Last Light looks good, but animations and characters still look awkward. As do some of the fire/explosion effects. My overall vote goes to Crysis 3. I am talking in regards to shooter type games.

Unity looks decent in those screen shots, but the characters certainly standout. I realize it looks terrible downscaled at that resolution though. Can you upload 1080 or higher images to imagur? Or someone else? I also realize that images just don't do games justice. Often times the nice effects can only be appreciated in real time.
 
Yeah but I still feel this is more photo realistic because of the PBR.

Well it depends on your criteria. All you said was "best realtime graphics". If you value "photo realism" from a distance, that's cool.
 
Those AC:Unity screenshots seem like the detail on character models is pretty low. The lighting effects are pretty good though but I would say the lighting is on par with Metro:LL the shading isn't too good in AC:Unity, the ambient occlusion looks ok though compared to most uses of it. The reflections are poorly done from what I can tell by looking at the floor (I used to refinish marble floors so I know how a reflection should look on them). The textures of the wood floor is low quality.

As far best graphics in terms of photo realism I would have to say Skyrim or GTA:4 with mods/enb fools me the most in thinking it's an actual photograph when it's actually a screenshot. Although both games tend to have very low resolution textures and both games have low polygon counts.

Crysis 3 would be the best looking game so far that is unmodded and straight up playable.

Games won't really start looking amazing until subsurface scattering is implemented properly.
 
Last edited:
Another Crysis 3 vote. It's incredible looking.
For close-ups and dialogue, the Witcher 2 is still great looking.
 
Agreed. Metro Last Light looks good, but animations and characters still look awkward. As do some of the fire/explosion effects. My overall vote goes to Crysis 3. I am talking in regards to shooter type games. .

Metro:LL does look really good and it's one of my favorite games in the last few years, it's just the texture quality is pretty low which was kind of disappointing but hopefully the next Metro game increases texture resolution. Redux did improve some of the textures but not enough to make it as the best looking game that we currently have. And yea the animations are poorly done, but I'm so glad they improved the look of the actual characters over the first game. Both Metro games look unbelievable in 3D Vision... Yea I don't play with that but sometimes I do like to take a look ;)
 
objectively crysis 3. subjectively? probably unity. crysis 3 is technically the best looking game, but a lot of it is just really, really ugly. it fails hard when it comes to anything other than straight graphics tech. unity on the other hand, while not the most advanced game in terms of rendering techniques utilized, has GREAT art direction, extremely fluid and satisfying animations, and objectively the best looking, most detailed geometry ever featured in games.

i really like the aesthetic of evolve, too. it's just a really nice looking game.
 
Ok, you don't start a thread like this then show terrible compressed pics....yikes! :)
 
Ok, you don't start a thread like this then show terrible compressed pics....yikes! :)

Yea, I would have liked to see 4k screenshots to show off those pictures, here at work I use a 4k monitor so it's really hard to see these when it takes up like a 10%
 
Like was said before, the art direction and interior models in those Unity shots are incredible. But the fact that the characters don't cast shadows half of the time really takes it down a notch for me.
 
Fuck me. As a child of the 80's it is all hands down fully amazing. 15 years ago this live rendering in Unity was the realm of prerender CG, and that falls short to what this does live. Amazing.

I remember the FFVIII cuts were amazing at the time, and the FF movie was such a high water mark. Hell the parallax scrolling of the floors in SF2 were amazing when you first saw them. We have come a long ways.

Good times people, good times.
 
Fuck me. As a child of the 80's it is all hands down fully amazing. 15 years ago this live rendering in Unity was the realm of prerender CG, and that falls short to what this does live. Amazing.

I remember the FFVIII cuts were amazing at the time, and the FF movie was such a high water mark. Hell the parallax scrolling of the floors in SF2 were amazing when you first saw them. We have come a long ways.

Good times people, good times.

man it's refreshing to see a little positivity towards the current state of gaming. i agree, good times.

to date i would say BF4 singleplayer is the best graphics i've seen in a game. however i haven't played Crysis 3 or Assassin's Creed Unity. i own Unity but haven't installed it yet, will probably do that this week. judging from the screenshots it'll be at the top graphically for me.
 
Like was said before, the art direction and interior models in those Unity shots are incredible. But the fact that the characters don't cast shadows half of the time really takes it down a notch for me.

Yeah I was really impressed with those screenshots until you pointed that out. Now the fact that no objects cast shadows is all I can see.
 
Metro Last Light

I'm expecting The Witcher 3 or - if it isn't downgraded - The Division to be the next best-looking game when they release. Evolve also looks very nice.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I was really impressed with those screenshots until you pointed that out. Now the fact that no objects cast shadows is all I can see.

global illumination with shadows is a ways off...
 
Best graphics:

Open World: Assassins Creed Unity

Linear Corridor: Ryse

First Person : Crysis 3

*Honorable mention: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.


I still think ACU is the best looking game this gen considering it's scale. There are moments while playing ACU I have to stop and take it all in. It is breath taking and it runs relatively well on my computer. It has without question the best looking interiors in video game history. The game is a screenshotters wet dream.
 
Last edited:
I am surprised very few included Ryse Son of Rome. Its a technical marvel. Istill think Cryengine games are the best looking.
 
I am surprised very few included Ryse Son of Rome. Its a technical marvel. Istill think Cryengine games are the best looking.

probably because not many people have it played it on PC due to the average reviews the game got...and yes CryEngine games are amazing looking...I'll never understand why more developers don't use it...Frostbite is a close second
 
From a pure graphics standpoint, I'll say Ryse. The game is a turd, but its undenyably good looking. I'll also say Battlefield 4, specifically in single player, is a serious contender.
 
probably because not many people have it played it on PC due to the average reviews the game got...and yes CryEngine games are amazing looking...I'll never understand why more developers don't use it...Frostbite is a close second

Given Crytek's recent financial issues I doubt many developers will invest precious time and capital on an engine which they may not have support for at the end of the project lifecycle. Too risky.
 
Going to echo what a couple others have stated:

ACU - Just fantastic detail all around. The only detraction is my brain flips out when entering a new environment because there's simply so friggin much to look at, and most of it is very well done.

Crysis 3 - Best open-world graphics in a game.

Witcher 2 - For a game that's nearly 2 years old, some of the best environments and character animations.
 
Right now, I'd say Ryse and Unity, giving the edge to Unity, although Ryse looks better in motion.

As far as those Unity screenshots, are you sure you took them at Ultra High? They kind of look blurry and low res compared to what I'm seeing in the game.
 
probably because not many people have it played it on PC due to the average reviews the game got...and yes CryEngine games are amazing looking...I'll never understand why more developers don't use it...Frostbite is a close second

Cryengine is very expensive to license, its why most usually go with UnrealEngine
 
The Crysis 3 level where the wolf-type aliens are running through the shoulder high grass blew my mind. Very, very cool.
 
I will say that I finally got a chance to play around with Star Citizen. Pretty amazing looking. Maybe not up there with Cyrsis 3 or Metro, but pretty amazing.

Yeah, Witcher 2 still looks phenomenal for the age.
 
As far as those Unity screenshots, are you sure you took them at Ultra High? They kind of look blurry and low res compared to what I'm seeing in the game.

He said he took them at Very High settings, and also there is no doubt a lot of jpeg compression going on.
 
I will say that I finally got a chance to play around with Star Citizen. Pretty amazing looking. Maybe not up there with Cyrsis 3 or Metro, but pretty amazing.

Yeah, Witcher 2 still looks phenomenal for the age.

Star Citizen is being developed on a modified CryEngine, it should look amazing :)
 
Kill zone shadow fall had some great graphics, barring some wierdness here and there.

But Crysis 3 pretty much has it all. Particle effects in that game are crazy.
 
I'll have to see it in motion, but Unity looks like ass based on those screenshots.

The last game that impressed me visually was Halo 4 on Xbox One.
 
I'll have to see it in motion, but Unity looks like ass based on those screenshots.

The last game that impressed me visually was Halo 4 on Xbox One.

I agree. Overly bloomy and not very good. Only way to tell is an HD video without strong compression... or playing it. :p
 
I'm in for ACU....mostly cause small details really catches my eye. I never really saw what was so great about the visuals in Crysis 3. The characters looked good but obviously so few at the same time. A lot of the foliage and half destroyed buildings kinda all blurred together where nothing in particular really stood out as if I was seeing too many repeated textures, models or something.

I have to give a nod to Killzone 4 on PS4...the lighting is really amazing especially.
Project Cars Beta...been playing it for a while. With the rain effects and 35 cars on the track, it's quite the sight to behold at times.

But like everything else, it all get's old after a while. You can only be in awe for so long but it makes you spoiled so it seems the disappointments last forever.
 
Cryengine is very expensive to license, its why most usually go with UnrealEngine

Yeah this is true, but they've also released the CryDev SDK, which has opened the engine up to more developers. Much like Epic did with UDK/UE4.
 
Yeah this is true, but they've also released the CryDev SDK, which has opened the engine up to more developers. Much like Epic did with UDK/UE4.

No engine source and Epic just plain seems to do everything better.
 
No engine source and Epic just plain seems to do everything better.

Yeah, definitely a valid point. But in Crytek's defense, the CryDev SDK was released in 2011 when UDK was on a rampage, and neither package offered source. However, Epic did change that with UE4, and CryEngine just doesn't make much sense anymore, IMO. Crytek is in a shaky spot, and UE4 has the better community, is more well-documented, and seems to have the brighter future ahead of it.
 
Back
Top