Best racing sim for PC

Agreed. GTR2 or GT Legends maybe. Pretty much can't go wrong with a SimBim Simulation.

Richard Burns Rally is a Rally Sim its a bit outdated though (and Richard Burns in dead now unfortunately)

Live for Speed S2 is a good racing sim, its has properly the best phyics ever on a racing game, though the graphical side of it is crap.

and yeah GTR and Legends are also great racing sims for the PC.

I have to say that rFactor with mods is the best racing simulation I have ever played. It's pretty crude in it's vanilla form, but it had a really strong group of modders over at rfactorcentral.com. Add on any of the mods from their "Hall of Fame" section and you're in for a treat. There's Porsche Cup Car, 1979 Grand Prix, V8 Supercars, modern Formula 1, etc. Plenty of tracks are also to be had.

^ When your only on the track yourself the can runs around 30+ fps (or more) @ 1280x1024. x2, everything on High on a 8800GTX, however when it comes to racing the AI in the game the frame rate of the game comes crashing down its almost like a slideshow, even with an AMD x2 4800+ cpu and 2gb of ram in both XP and Vista.

basically Codemasters really did a crappy job on optimizing the game.

There are some older games for the PC that are probably the best and most realistic ever made.
1) GranPrix Legends
2) Nascar Racing 2006 Season

Both of these games require tuning every concievable handling component on the car,practice,time trials and then the weekend's race. If you have a force-feedback steering wheel the games are very realistic.

I still fire up the Nascar Game every once and again. There is still a pretty large on-line crowd racing every weekend. The graphics are aged but the physics and damage,tire wear, handling are superb.

For the nascar games, i do hear that dedicated fan modders have updated the graphics, ect; on this game. You'll have to check out the fansites to check.

I always liked Car and Driver:

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?id=4879

Look at that semi, so real you can almost feel the rush of air as it passes you. I also appreciate the 6" off the ground POV the game has, because I've always wondered what it would be like to drive a car while lying on my stomach.

Plus they did dashboards 15 years before Gran Tourismo figured out how to.

I really like the new pro street for the need for speed franchise.

Much less arcadey feel compared to all the last games that followed NFS PU. Not so much a Need For Speed game anymore, no more of the characterisitc illegal street racing running from cops the whole series has been about.

Track racing. Unfortunately, still very ricerish, they haven't returned to their original European focus. But as a driving sim, wow. Lots more, very specific tweaking to drive train, suspension, alignment, etc.

Cars pitch, and resist turning. Will snap on you if you are two shakey. The game almost needs you to have a steering wheel, tricky as a keyboard driver. You have to be very close attention to braking. It's much less forgiving compared the last NFS games. Most of my friends gave up since they couldn't figure out how to drive and just ran off the track every time.

didn't i just comment in this exact same thread last week? i guess not.

forza 2 in terms of realism and gfx, no use playing the pos pc simulators cause the 360 is a pc x2 :rolleyes:

/thread

forza 2 in terms of realism and gfx, no use playing the pos pc simulators cause the 360 is a pc x2 :rolleyes:

/thread
He asked specifically for PC games. Stop trolling and trying to spark tensions. Your post is nothing but Flamebait.

/thread

:p

From my experience GTR, RBR and GTR2 are awesome. F1 challenge '99-'02 is enjoyable too, I used to spend hours on it... :D just like GTR

I always liked Car and Driver:

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?id=4879

Look at that semi, so real you can almost feel the rush of air as it passes you. I also appreciate the 6" off the ground POV the game has, because I've always wondered what it would be like to drive a car while lying on my stomach.

Plus they did dashboards 15 years before Gran Tourismo figured out how to.

Wow, that game has gourad shading. Cutting edge graphics for sure.

Forza doesn't even have a cockpit. I tried the demo on my 360 and thought it sucked compared to the likes of rFactor, GTR2, Race07, LFS2, and even F1 '99-02'. In fact, every racing game I have tried on the 360 so far I thought was poor compared to the racing games you can get for the PC. Console racing games feel too arcade for my liking. Even EA's Superbike2001 is better than that latest bike sim on the 360.

I really like the new pro street for the need for speed franchise.

Much less arcadey feel compared to all the last games that followed NFS PU. Not so much a Need For Speed game anymore, no more of the characterisitc illegal street racing running from cops the whole series has been about.

Track racing. Unfortunately, still very ricerish, they haven't returned to their original European focus. But as a driving sim, wow. Lots more, very specific tweaking to drive train, suspension, alignment, etc.

Cars pitch, and resist turning. Will snap on you if you are two shakey. The game almost needs you to have a steering wheel, tricky as a keyboard driver. You have to be very close attention to braking. It's much less forgiving compared the last NFS games. Most of my friends gave up since they couldn't figure out how to drive and just ran off the track every time.
Is it better than the demo? The demo sucked. It felt like driving a spaceship.

Dirt is pretty crappy, especially compared to the previous Colin McRae series. Yes there is a good variety of racing types but the graphics are attrocious and it screams bad console port.

Instead of using sharp textures and clear effects, it covers everything up with muddy shaders and blurring effects and too much bloom. Dirt looks like what you'd see if you were playing a real racing game but with muddy water in your eyes causing you intense pain. The textures are so resolution, it hurts.

I know it's not a simulation but the new Test Drive is actually a lot of fun and you get wholly rendered cockpits for a lot of supercars. You can drive freely as it's a sandbox game.

For PC only Live For Speed. http://www.lfs.net/
It's the only thing that gets played on my setup. :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/manleyjr/Q6600Computer/photo#5137290530362053058

100_0037.JPG

Dirt is pretty crappy, especially compared to the previous Colin McRae series. Yes there is a good variety of racing types but the graphics are attrocious and it screams bad console port.

Instead of using sharp textures and clear effects, it covers everything up with muddy shaders and blurring effects and too much bloom. Dirt looks like what you'd see if you were playing a real racing game but with muddy water in your eyes causing you intense pain. The textures are so resolution, it hurts.

I know it's not a simulation but the new Test Drive is actually a lot of fun and you get wholly rendered cockpits for a lot of supercars. You can drive freely as it's a sandbox game.

Dirt is not bad IMO, however I do find the HDR to be waaaay too bright at times... and the pace notes are a bit crap too.

Live for Speed beats rFactor and GTR2 in physics, hands down. Most realistic simulation for any platform

Live for Speed beats rFactor and GTR2 in physics, hands down. Most realistic simulation for any platform

Does LFS have a bigger mod community than rFactor? Like for full Formula One seasons, Rolex, Daytona Prototypes, GT racing etc, all of which are available for rFactor.

Depends on what you are after...

Nascar Racing - You still cannot beat Nascar Racing 2003. Only problem is, if you don't have it you will spend a fortune for a copy on eBay.

I am not a fan of ISI Engine based SIMS, but if I HAD to choose one, it would be GTR2. Their earlier stuff had that nasty copy protection no one liked (I forget the name), but GTR2 dropped it in favor of SecuRom.

The entire Genre will be tossed up on it's head when iRacing comes online...

http://www.iracing.com/

The problem with rFactor is it is TOO modded. You have to dedicate way too much time to keeping up with the MOD changes, what servers are running what, etc...

Frankly, I gave up on it.

I have to say that rFactor with mods is the best racing simulation I have ever played. It's pretty crude in it's vanilla form, but it had a really strong group of modders over at rfactorcentral.com. Add on any of the mods from their "Hall of Fame" section and you're in for a treat. There's Porsche Cup Car, 1979 Grand Prix, V8 Supercars, modern Formula 1, etc. Plenty of tracks are also to be had.

Forza 2 on the Xbox is horrible...

Forza doesn't even have a cockpit. I tried the demo on my 360 and thought it sucked compared to the likes of rFactor, GTR2, Race07, LFS2, and even F1 '99-02'. In fact, every racing game I have tried on the 360 so far I thought was poor compared to the racing games you can get for the PC. Console racing games feel too arcade for my liking. Even EA's Superbike2001 is better than that latest bike sim on the 360.

Actually, RBR is pretty good. Also liked that I got it on DVD from gogamer and it wasn't copy protected. Don't think it even required the disc after install.

Richard Burns Rally

Not to derail the thread, but what are you guys using for your controller. I have an old MS Sidewinder pedal and wheel kit that is now borked, and I need to find a new one. When I googled for reviews, most are from 2002-2004 :(

I just bought Need For Speed : Pro Street and am looking forward to getting some time in.... soon.

Back