Best gaming keyboard

I was set on a blackwidow and I've actually already preordered one., but now I think I'll buy a filco because Razer keeps moving the blackwidow's release date. I was hoping to get the blackwidow ultimate, but now I either wait till the end of this month for the regular blackwidow (and possibly have to wait longer for unpredicted delays by Razer), or I might just go ahead and buy a filco... Unfortunately the Filco keyboard that I want is on backorder but should be available soon.

Have you also considered Deck or Das?

Das has a nice student discount if that's applicable to you. :)

Last edited:
Be very careful if you go for the Black Widow, I bought the Razer Lycosa a week ago, and due to it's lack of n-key rollover it's pretty much useless to me as a gaming keyboard. ie very poor performance in terms of pressing multpile keys at the same time.

Example. Pressing a and w keys at the same time, there are multiple keys that will not register as a third key.

Also anyone who uses the "arrow" keys in gaming, you will not be able to press numpad 0 while pressing say up and left for example.

my Tarantula doesnt have any problem with this... why would they downgrade the usefulness of the keyboard in a newer model?

the lycosa isnt mechanical keyboard though.so ur points are invalid to the black widow

Sure I understand it's a different keyboard, and a different technology, all I am trying to do is advise and at least make aware that it is something to confirm before purchasing as my failure to do so with the Lycosa has led to major disapppointment.

Found this article, not sure how reliable the source is though.

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=227352&postcount=592

my Tarantula doesnt have any problem with this... why would they downgrade the usefulness of the keyboard in a newer model?

Aparently it is a side effect of having the backlighting, which I don't believe the Tarantula has.

Last edited:
The blackwidow should have full NKRO ability through the PS/2 port since almost all mechanical keyboards do.

Have you also considered Deck or Das?

Das has a nice student discount if that's applicable to you. :)

I've checked out Deck (too expensive for me) and Das. Das looks nice, but it's not available till the 30th :(. I might go ahead and buy the XArmor U9BL. I'm just not sure if I'll like the cherry mx blues and if the build quality is up to par with the other brands. My brother has the Filco with cherry browns and it's alright, but I wish I could feel how the blacks and blues feel. I'm starting to get very competitive in SC2 so the feel is important.

Last edited:
^ Incorrect, very incorrect. NKRO is not automatically present in mechanical boards, it's up to the manufacturer to make it that way via hardware and firmware. Almost all mechanical boards over the years do not have NKRO, there's very few models that actually do. That guy on GeekHack actually HAS one that he just bought in Singapore, so I'm pretty sure that real life testing beats out speculation.

The blackwidow should have full NKRO ability through the PS/2 port since almost all mechanical keyboards do.

http://www2.razerzone.com/blackwidow - Check the FAQ's from the manufacturers website.

There is no ps/2 connection.

Q. Why does the Razer BlackWidow not have a PS/2 port option?

A. Aside from the rarity of native PS/2 ports in gaming rigs today, by using a USB connection the Razer BlackWidow is able to provide gamers advanced customization and performance features that are not available using a PS/2 connection, using Razer’s configuration software.

This worries me somewhat as it sounds quite similar to the Lycosa marketing spiel.

Q. Does Razer BlackWidow have anti-ghosting capability? How about N-key rollover?

A. Yes, the Razer BlackWidow features a gaming optimized key matrix that allows the recognition up to six simultaneous key presses. N-key rollover (NKRO) only works with a direct connection to a native PS/2 port on the computer which provides for other limitations that USB overcomes. The Razer BlackWidow’s gaming optimized key matrix serves a similar purpose while using an ordinary USB port.

By the way guys, I am not on an anti-razer crusade I just believe everyone should go in with their eyes open to avoid disappointment.

There is no ps/2 connection.

A PS/2-USB keyboard adapter works fine as long as the keyboard's controller uses those signals as well, and most USB boards do. I'm still not convinced the Black Widow has NKRO until I see proper reviews, but the initial reports aren't promising.

Just a FYI, but no USB keyboard has more than 6-key rollover. It's a USB limitation, no keyboard manufacturer can get around it. That said, I've had no problems running my Filco hooked up via USB while gaming. As long as it has full 6-key rollover across the whole keyboard everyone should be happy.

Just a FYI, but no USB keyboard has more than 6-key rollover. It's a USB limitation, no keyboard manufacturer can get around it. That said, I've had no problems running my Filco hooked up via USB while gaming. As long as it has full 6-key rollover across the whole keyboard everyone should be happy.

Taken from the Filco Majestouch documentation, seems like a usb to ps/2 adapter can provide NKRO as per RickyJ, interesting.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key&pid=fkbn104meb

N-key Rollover allows multiple simultaneous key presses to be recognized by your computer. True N-key Rollover works only with the included PS/2 adapter. Using the USB connection will limit the N-key Rollover function to 6 keys, plus 4 modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Pgup, etc.), at a time.

Razer BlackWidow is 2KRO (fails CRTL-A-Q). Complete NKRO Keyboard Database (including the BlackWidow Failure modes) is here.

^ Incorrect, very incorrect. NKRO is not automatically present in mechanical boards, it's up to the manufacturer to make it that way via hardware and firmware. Almost all mechanical boards over the years do not have NKRO, there's very few models that actually do. That guy on GeekHack actually HAS one that he just bought in Singapore, so I'm pretty sure that real life testing beats out speculation.

Yup. For example, all Filco boards are mechanical but not all are NKRO. They sell two fullsize models with Cherry MX brown switches (well, three if you count the one with the blank keycaps), one without NKRO for $109 and another with NKRO for $134.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key&pid=fkb104meb

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key&pid=fkbn104meb

It's now dead, but I bought a Rosewill RK-9000 about a week ago, replacing a G15-1st gen. It's using the same design as the DAS, or Filco. My vote right now is to look on Ebay for an iOne Scorpious M10 mechanical (cherry mx blue switches...clicky goodness), or wait for the Razer Black Widow to come out ($80 for the basic model).
Mechanical boards cost more, but they also last much longer (cheapie membrane is good for 1 million keystrokes. A typical mechanical is 20 million). Different switches are also around. If you don't like the click or tactile feel, then I'd suggest a Deck Legend, which uses linear Cherry "black" switches that don't click.

anyone have the lycosa and like it or the saitek cyborg?

I still have the Lycosa (am in the process of getting rid of it). I bought it a week ago and due to the fact it is 2KRO found it was entirely useless to me for gaming.

Since then I bought a sidewinder x4 and am very happy with it.

Slightly smaller keys might be a concern for some perhaps.

Last edited:
Still debating on wether to get a tactile deck keyboard or a linear one. Just read this review about the xarmor mentioned a couple of pages back

I’d like to bring up the topic of switches for gaming again. MX blues have a reputation for being horrible for gaming, and I think this is unfair. Many people game on MX blue keyboards just fine. However, they do affect some gamers. The sharp tactile point can be a hindrance to fast reaction, and the fact that the switch resets above where it actuates means that the switch has to come almost all the way back up before you can press it again, which can make some double tapping techniques extremely difficult. I’ve found that it does affect my gameplay when playing against other people or against smart AI. Not a huge difference, but it is there.

Do cherry brown / whites have the same problem minus the click sound ? I would like to increase my wpm but double tapping is important too.

HATE you guys and this thread ;) You have me wondering if I should replace my perfectly working Microsoft Sidewinder x6 for a $100+ mechanical keyboard. Then you throw around all these terms I'm not familiar with like Cherrys, NRKO, Deks.

Anyway I'll wait for the Razer BWU reviews. I usually game at night with the lights off so back-lighting is a requirement.

P.S....thanks for cluing me in to inferior membrane keyboards...anyone want to buy a Sidewinder X6? (j/k, it'll end up with my spare peripherals parts :D)

Do cherry brown / whites have the same problem minus the click sound ? I would like to increase my wpm but double tapping is important too.

Nah. Check out this page and look at the diagrams of the key switches.

Cherry MX Blue switches are one of the best switches for typing. The tactile bump can easily be felt, and the resistance is about average.

Although many people find them just fine for gaming, some don't like the fact that the release point is above the actuation point. This can cause some trouble with double-tapping if you don't normally release the key completely.

Well, its been a month and I really prefer the Steelseries 6Gv2 over my Filco tenkeyless with Cherry MX browns. The Filco is also great, I was just making too many typing errors and mistakes in Starcraft 2 compared to with the Steelseries.

Now I just have to decide if I'm gonna sell this Filco or just keep admiring it on the other table. :)

Well, its been a month and I really prefer the Steelseries 6Gv2 over my Filco tenkeyless with Cherry MX browns. The Filco is also great, I was just making too many typing errors and mistakes in Starcraft 2 compared to with the Steelseries.

Now I just have to decide if I'm gonna sell this Filco or just keep admiring it on the other table. :)

steel-series 6gv2 is black switches? are they considerably heavier than brown in your opinion? how heavy compared to dome? is the steel-series pretty quite?

steel-series 6gv2 is black switches? are they considerably heavier than brown in your opinion? how heavy compared to dome? is the steel-series pretty quite?

Yes the v2 is cherry black. They are quiet in terms of not having the click sound of the blues, but bottoming out makes noise like any other switches.

K800 logitech Wireless illuminated keyboard, its back lit, elegant and has no keyblocking issues with games. You also have the option of using it wirelessly with no issues connectivity wise. The build quality is very, very good unlike gaming keyboards that tend to be rattletraps and have "bling" all over the damn place... this is a very elegant multimedia solution for games. the keys are a flat black and not shiny and dont get slippery after a while like regular keys. It's not advertised as a gaming keyboard but the short keystrokes, which are dead silent, make this the best keyboard I have ever used. the footprint is small for a keyboard with a full key layout.

If you use keyboard mapped macro keys then you might want to know that there are no macro keys, but if you want a keyboard that looks like great on your desktop and performs even better than this is the way to go.

The Filco with brown switches is more sensitive. That said, this is a relative comparison, it isn't like the 6Gv2 is hard to type with, far from it. Note that with mechanical keys you don't have to bottom them out since the actuation point is halfway down, so you aren't putting much pressure at all even when typing with the blacks. I was making more typing/gaming errors with the browns, but that's because you can almost sneeze on them and they actuate. :)

The Steelseries keys themselves are slightly thicker and heavier than the ones on the Filco, they have a rougher texture, and the body of the keyboard itself is beefier with the steel plate and everything. As a result, when you bottom them out they make a softer and deeper sound while the Filco makes a higher pitched sound. My quietest keyboard is my Apple aluminum, but that is a low profile keyboard with scissor switches, very different.

Last edited:

I just loaded up a few random keys (I, T and numpad 7) on my Sidewinder X4 using coins. To actuate the keys took 4 5c coins, 4 10c coins, a 20c coin and a 50c coin (Australian money ;)) which equates to around 61 grams according to wikipedia. To get the keys to return required reducing the mass to around 35 grams.

Tested my ancient cheapo Auriga keyboard that I've been using for many years up until a few weeks ago when the spacebar started to die and it required a few coins less, probably closer to 50 grams worth.

According to the mechanical keyboard guide, the Cherry Blacks require...

"Actuation Force: 60g (40g-80g overall)
Key Travel: 2mm to actuation, 4mm to bottom"

So the actuation force would be similar to a rubber dome Sidewinder X4, but to bottom it out would be another 33% more force. The Browns would be 25% less force at 45 grams, and the blues around 17% lighter at 50 grams.

love the Logitech Gaming Keyboards. Got 2 G19s and 2 more G15s at da house. I like the functionality of the LCD and progamable buttons of course. Great feedback from keys and very durable. Can get the non-LCD versions for very cheap if your on a budget.

Don't forget about the Logitech G13 Gamepad for additional needs. Have 3 at the house and use them alot.

Currently have:

G19 Keyboard
G13 Gamepad
Trackman Wheel (Yes I will always use a Track-Ball, no moving needed by my hand. Just the thumb)

blacks are very heavy, but i'm looking at it from an ergonomic typing point of view.

I love my microsoft comfort curve 2000 or what ever it is called, using wasd doest hurt my fingers with this one.

I switched back to my Das Ultimate last night after using my Topre and Filco w/Browns for several months, and I can not believe how much heavier the keys felt! I'm sure I'd get used to it again, but I don't think I'll be trying Blacks at this point. After using Cherry Browns and Topre capacative switches, the Blues are stiff enough for me...

Does anyone have any complaints on the Sidewinder X4? I read through the thread and the people who own it seem happy. I noticed someone pointed out the keys are slightly smaller which I don't have a problem with. Is there anything else I should be aware of before picking one up? My budget is under $60. (i'm just now getting into gaming).

The Filco with brown switches is more sensitive. That said, this is a relative comparison, it isn't like the 6Gv2 is hard to type with, far from it.

One caveat: the right shift key and backslash are set up in a way that makes it annoying to type with for normal usage, if you're not used to it. While backslash isn't that commonly used, question marks and periods are. Still, for gaming I love the feel of this keyboard and I have absolutely no problems with the actuation force, and I'm starting to really like the linear feel.

One of my friends got the Filco Brown and he said it was actually too light for him.

One caveat: the right shift key and backslash are set up in a way that makes it annoying to type with for normal usage, if you're not used to it. While backslash isn't that commonly used, question marks and periods are. Still, for gaming I love the feel of this keyboard and I have absolutely no problems with the actuation force, and I'm starting to really like the linear feel.

One of my friends got the Filco Brown and he said it was actually too light for him.

Yeah, that keyboard configuration on the 6Gv2 is different by the right shift key. That said, it took me only an hour to get used to. YMMV, but it shouldn't be hard to adjust.

I agree with your friend more and more, the Filco brown is just too light for me. I think I'll be selling it pretty soon.

One caveat: the right shift key and backslash are set up in a way that makes it annoying to type with for normal usage, if you're not used to it. While backslash isn't that commonly used...

If you're a Windows network admin they are, lol. I use backslashes very frequently during the course of a day. When my OEM Dell keyboard started showing wear, I got a replacement out of the stash that someone had ordered. It had the backslash in a non-standard location and I was constantly making mistakes...I quickly swapped it out for something else. While I could have adapted, it was easier to stick with a standard layout rather than relearn something unnecessary that would just hinder me when working from another keyboard.

If I was a Unix admin, things might have been different. :)

I recently got a filco with blue switches. I love it, I think its probably the best keyboard I have ever used. I have been playing a good amount of SC2 with it and it works really great. Some may not like the sound but I love it(Though my wife is not too fond of it lol). I have yet to try any FPS games yet only WoW and SC2 but I will give it a try soon. All in all I am very happy.

Love my Logitech G15 I got recently, doubt I need to change for a number of years now :) The only issue is I accidentally hit the function keys sometimes when fumbling around without looking down :)

I recently got a filco with blue switches. I love it, I think its probably the best keyboard I have ever used. I have been playing a good amount of SC2 with it and it works really great. Some may not like the sound but I love it(Though my wife is not too fond of it lol). I have yet to try any FPS games yet only WoW and SC2 but I will give it a try soon. All in all I am very happy.

That's great to hear. I bought the XArmor U9BL last month and it's great! It's a backlit mechanical keyboard that uses the cherry mx blue switches, and it also came with a free mouse! I've played some games on it; mainly sc2 and I've had no problems. I don't really see any problems with fps games either. Most people complain that it is harder to spam key presses with it, but I can spam up to 400 apm with it on SC2.

I haven't tried the black's, but the blues and browns are perfectly fine for gaming and typing.

XArmor U9BL? Huh. I've seen a couple of people on this forum say that Deck is the only company that makes a backlit mechanical keyboard. Guess they hadn't heard of the U9BL (I hadn't either). It's cheaper than a Deck, too...wonder how the long-term quality compares?

Love my Deck Legend toxic (linear). Much higher quality than my old tarantula and g15. If you can do without macro keys and want a mechanical with backlighting... these are the way to go.

Just purchased the Steelseries 6gv2 and so far it's great. Although I think it could use a wrist pad like the 7G. Anyone know if you can buy the 7g wrist pad seperately?

Back