Best gaming keyboard

rhiridflaidd

Weaksauce
And don't say optimus.....

My old mx 3100 is gettign tatty, and a replacement sounds like a plan.

So I'm looking for a decent gaming keyboard.

Must not drop keypresses at all. Ideally would allow macros, and an LCD is a bonus, but less important that utter relibility, repsonsiveness and easily disabling the windows key.

The valo v2 sounds interesting, but some have had problems with it.

What else should be up there in the decisions list?

I just replaced my Razer Lycosa with a $48 Logitech G15. To me, it is a night and day difference, I hated the rubber coating on the Razer along with the quirky touchpad for the volume/lighting controls. Everytime I would adjust the volume I would accidently swipe the LED toggle and the lights on my keyboard would go out. The G15, to me, is a great gaming keyboard and the programmable LED is a bonus.

Check the [H]otDeals section in the forums, the G15 was on sale for $40ish straight from Logitech in their dented box section last week. Mine arrived factory new, in a sealed non-dented box.

the G110 is great and should be cheaper than the G15. The LCD on the g15 is pretty useless for anything but bling value. Others might disagree but I suppose it depends on what types of games you play.

"First Looks" Review of Razer Black Widow here.

dsc00735nm.jpg

steelseries 7g or 6gv2...best gaming keyboard on the market and most widely used by pros

I have to second this. I got a 6Gv2 as a gift and I think I'll be replacing my Filco with browns. I love the Filco but the Steelseries may be a notch better. Going to test drive it for the next week and see how I feel.

the Razer Black Widow looks like a awesome keyboard, I might considering getting this to upgrade from my old G15

i got the 6gv2 a week ago. After some getting used to it, I am now aware the subtle difference I felt at first actually makes me a better, faster and more consistent typist and gamer. It is also alot more satisfying in feel and sound than a normal keyboard.
I love the no-shenanigans design of the keyboard too. No weird extra buttons or lamps, just a sleek black traditional keyboard.

I havent felt what a blue/brown switch keyboard feels like, but I think I would still like the blacks on my 6gv2 over having a tactile click built in.

6gv2/7g all the way, or the Razer Blackwidow if you think it suits you better (macro buttons, backlighting on the expensive one)

^ the Black Widow also uses MX Blues, which are tactile rather than linear like your Steelseries.

Oh dear Ihave a problem. I think the black widow is a perfect keyboard - but it's a bit ugly in the flesh....

What's the difference between tactile and linear?

Oh dear Ihave a problem. I think the black widow is a perfect keyboard - but it's a bit ugly in the flesh....

What's the difference between tactile and linear?

This gives an excellent rundown between the differences in Cherry MX key switches.

EDIT: Maybe I should include the link that goes over what I'm talking about. :p

http://elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#1a

In a nutshell, blue are tactile, have an audible click, and require a very light tough to actuate the switch. Brown are tactile, do not make a clicking sound, and require more force than a blue. Note that they are still very light. Black "linear" switches are silent, make no clicking sound, and require more force than the other Cherry switches to activate.

I have both a Filco brown tenkeyless and a Steelseries 6Gv2 with black switches. It honestly comes down to personal preference. I love how light the touch of the Filco is, but I'm also more prone to errors because of that. I still think I prefer typing on it because of how light it is. The Steelseries requires more force but I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. It is excellent for gaming and not bad for typing. It is currently the main keyboard on my gaming PC.

I wish there was an easier way for people to audition keyboards since there is such variety in the way way mechanical keyswitchess can feel. The brown switches are a very safe pick for typing and gaming, I would not hesitate recommending one to somebody who is on the fence.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
This gives an excellent rundown between the differences in Cherry MX key switches.

In a nutshell, blue are tactile, have an audible click, and require a very light tough to actuate the switch. Brown are tactile, do not make a clicking sound, and require more force than a blue. Note that they are still very light. Black "linear" switches are silent, make no clicking sound, and require more force than the other Cherry switches to activate.

Blues are about 5g more force to activate than browns. ;)

I wish there was an easier way for people to audition keyboards since there is such variety in the way way mechanical keyswitchess can feel. The brown switches are a very safe pick for typing and gaming, I would not hesitate recommending one to somebody who is on the fence.

Hope this helps!

Fry's could so easily do this since they carry the 6Gv2 and sometimes Siig's mechanical keyboards. They choose to keep their expensive keyboards in the box though, which is well-understood because of how random people treat products on display.

Fry's could so easily do this since they carry the 6Gv2 and sometimes Siig's mechanical keyboards. They choose to keep their expensive keyboards in the box though, which is well-understood because of how random people treat products on display.

I have seen Steelseries 7G out of the box at Fry's, but that's it. It is nice, but it still isn't a comparison between switch types (resistance, noise, tactile or non tactile, etc).

One more thing it doesn't drive home the point that keypress activation is sooner than with membrane keyboards, but you don't really see that unless you actually plug it into a computer. :)

You sure? Based on those graphs they seem very close.

Take a look. Blues need 60cN (1 gram is extremely close to 1 centiNewton on Earth), browns need 55cN. The actual switch actuation point pressure is fairly moot, since the force your finger applied to get past the bump will carry forward past the actual actuation point. With the blues you also have to pull your finger back pretty far to disengage the switch, while the brown is mere micrometers.

One more thing it doesn't drive home the point that keypress activation is sooner than with membrane keyboards, but you don't really see that unless you actually plug it into a computer. :)

This was one of those first things I noticed after switching from my G15 to my Filco. Took me an hour or two to get used to.

Does anyone know if there is a cheaper/simpler keyboard with no ghosting then this one http://shop.steelseries.com/us/index.php/keyboards-us/steelseries-zboard.html

I just need to be able to hold multiple keys at the same time and this zboard does that but the keys feel terrible and it's so gimmicky... I don't want or need any extra crap like all the lights at the top or usb ports on the keyboard or switchable keysets. I just want something simple that doesn't ghost.

I tried the 7g just to see how it feels and the black switches are way too hard to push... it's pretty much impossible to do quick things with the keys like crouch hop or use crouch to get over ledges. I can't believe all the people saying black switches are good for gaming but bad for typing. I found it easier to type on then to game on...

FILCO n-key is the only other possibility right now as the razer blackwidow only says "Gaming optimized key matrix for minimized ghosting" key word "minimized", doesn't say which set of keys is optimized. I use the yghj keys instead of wasd. And aren't blue switches bad for gaming with red and brown the best?

All I want is a keyboard that I can press multiple keys at the same time, I don't really want to shell out $140 for an nkro filco.

EDIT: just to update I tested the 7g on display at my local frys & the keys were MUCH easier to press then the 7g I bought and returned.... either I got a bad one or the keys wear in quite a lot.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a cheaper/simpler keyboard with no ghosting then this one http://shop.steelseries.com/us/index.php/keyboards-us/steelseries-zboard.html

All I want is a keyboard that I can press multiple keys at the same time, I don't really want to shell out $140 for an nkro filco.

Hilarious, your posted a picture! While others may jeer at you I do give you props for having the nads to do it. Good thing your not a fat pasty guy. That would be priceless. :)

NOW to your question.

Did you want mechanical? If not there is the Sidewinder x4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191&Tpk=SideWinder%20X4%20Keyboard

qoute from newegg: "PRECISE CONTROL Advanced anti-ghosting capability Press up to 26 keys simultaneously without ghosting—what you press is what you get! "

Last edited:
Microsoft SideWinder X6

I have it and love it. Aside from the obvious features I like the ability to remove the num pad and to throw it in the closet. That making it the smallest good gaming keyboard. Giving me more room for my mouse pad and other crap on the desk.

Back