Best gaming keyboard

im sorry to break it to you but the g19 is a gimmick keyboard and is not even in the same class as filco,deck,steelseries keyboards

You guys laughing about posting a picture remind me of gotfrag... with all the highschool kids and trolls...

Thanks to the rest, the sidewinder x4 looks good! And BTW frod who's one of the best cs players in the world uses a 7g because he got it from his sponsor and I can see the same errors in his gameplay that I pointed out like not being able to hop on ledges, etc.

WRONG,frod has a 7g cause it is one of the best gaming boards out...and that ledge comment is completely stupid and untrue considering there are MILLIONS of vids that have him on ledges shooting,maybe u just fail at ledge and bhops?

You guys laughing about posting a picture remind me of gotfrag... with all the highschool kids and trolls...

Thanks to the rest, the sidewinder x4 looks good! And BTW frod who's one of the best cs players in the world uses a 7g because he got it from his sponsor and I can see the same errors in his gameplay that I pointed out like not being able to hop on ledges, etc.

No he uses a 7G because it is better than all of the shit gimmick membrane keyboards.

max i suggest u just stop arguing,you have had several people tell you that your wrong and that ur problems are personal not mechanical.not to mention you have bee saying alot of false inaccurate gibberish

WRONG,frod has a 7g cause it is one of the best gaming boards out...and that ledge comment is completely stupid and untrue considering there are MILLIONS of vids that have him on ledges shooting,maybe u just fail at ledge and bhops?

lol, how much are you getting paid by steelseries to advertise for them? bunny hopping has nothing to do with keyboard... 99% of people good at bhop use mwheel.

"MILLIONS of vids that have him on ledges shooting"
"you have bee saying alot of false inaccurate gibberish"
lmao.

LOL considering i play with frod,lurppis,n0thing,dboorn on a regular basis and have discussed this shit with them before the knowledge im providing is valid.....fyi dboorn just got a 6gv2 and he loves it to death.ill take a pro gamers word over a nobody's anyday

Do you play with them because you're sponsoring them with steelseries equipment? Or do you play with them because you pay for ESEA? I'm actually pretty well known in the cs community not including all the newbs who only esea pug. I have been giving paid lessons for 3+ years and have a cs movie out. Never heard of dark captain though. Anyone can come on the internet and spout whatever random crap they want. From your previous comments you don't seem like a very reliable source for information either.

lol i dont go by dark captain in game brah lol,oh yea that a fact huh?ive never heard of u and i use to play cal i and now play esea o,and fyi i dont work or have anything to do with steelseries personally.i use there products cause they are the best...and yea i pay for esea just like everyone else on esea come at me bro.umad?im done arguing with you skeltor hands PEACE

No he uses a 7G because it is better than all of the shit gimmick membrane keyboards.

Reviews of the 7g on newegg and elsewhere report the keyboard failing in less then a year. Not to mention steelseries has notoriously bad customer support which is also mentioned in reviews as well as experiencing it myself.
I'm not saying mechanical keyboards aren't better then membrane, just the steelseries ones have a lot of room for improvement.

Both of you sound pathetic.

http://www.gotfrag.com/sc2/user/777932/
Really?

SS gave him a keyboard like they do with all their sponsored teams, but he doesn't have to use it. There's been plenty of sponsored CS/Q3 players that simply have to plug the product, but don't actually use it if it doesn't meet their needs. While he does use it, it also doesn't necessarily mean it's a great keyboard. That said, it is a solid keyboard with Cherry black switches. The layout of the 6Gv2 is basically the same, but with a supposedly better layout.

If you like Cherry black switches, it's a good choice. It's still probably better than any membrane keyboard.

they didnt change the layout realy on the the 6gv2,tey just fixed the key issue with them popping off after some time

sn7Ks.jpg

Take a look. Blues need 60cN (1 gram is extremely close to 1 centiNewton on Earth), browns need 55cN. The actual switch actuation point pressure is fairly moot, since the force your finger applied to get past the bump will carry forward past the actual actuation point. With the blues you also have to pull your finger back pretty far to disengage the switch, while the brown is mere micrometers.

Awesome link, and thanks for the clarification. I thought the browns felt mighty light...

I have to say, as much as I love the Filco brown, I think my 6Gv2 might be my favorite at the moment. I've gotten used to the black switches for typing, it goes without saying that it rocks for gaming, and I really love it now. Don't be scared off by the force needed to actuate the keys. Based on the fact that key actuation happens about halfway through the keypress, you can actually be quite light with it, no needing to nearly bottom out the keys like with a membrane. I also make much fewer mistakes like I did with the browns.

Both of you sound pathetic.

http://www.gotfrag.com/sc2/user/777932/
Really?

SS gave him a keyboard like they do with all their sponsored teams, but he doesn't have to use it. There's been plenty of sponsored CS/Q3 players that simply have to plug the product, but don't actually use it if it doesn't meet their needs. While he does use it, it also doesn't necessarily mean it's a great keyboard. That said, it is a solid keyboard with Cherry black switches. The layout of the 6Gv2 is basically the same, but with a supposedly better layout.

If you like Cherry black switches, it's a good choice. It's still probably better than any membrane keyboard.

The 6Gv2 is an excellent choice, cheaper than the Filco with Cherry blacks and it is actually sturdier. That's saying a lot considering that the Filcos are solid, its just that the Steelseries are so frigging heavy and beefy. There is zero flex if you twist it and you could probably beat someone with it. :eek:

Awesome link, and thanks for the clarification. I thought the browns felt mighty light...

I have to say, as much as I love the Filco brown, I think my 6Gv2 might be my favorite at the moment. I've gotten used to the black switches for typing, it goes without saying that it rocks for gaming, and I really love it now. Don't be scared off by the force needed to actuate the keys. Based on the fact that key actuation happens about halfway through the keypress, you can actually be quite light with it, no needing to nearly bottom out the keys like with a membrane. I also make much fewer mistakes like I did with the browns.

Hm... this really interests me. I've been torn between blacks and browns for a while and I think I change my mind every day. :/ I think I'll be ok with the force, but it just seems like the tactile feedback would be better than a linear path. People keep saying the browns are better for RTS games and blacks are better for FPS, but I assume you're still playing SC2. I'd probably bottom out in both types of games, so do either of them have an issue with that? Also, I know the blues have an issue with double tapping but the brown doesn't, right?

I wish I had a gauge to measure the actuation force on this DKTboard (which sucks, fyi.)

why would anyone ever trust a paid advert? that is what a pro gamer is, a paid walking advert, they have awesome skills, do headshots blindfolded, have 1,000 APM and whatever it is pro gamers do, but they like any other pro can also make the best out of what they're given.
pro gamers in effect, have no voice b/c the companies decide for them, and rightfully so, they are sponsored by these companies and paid by them as well, so why buy what a pro gamer uses? cuz your idiot and fooled by marketing and associate leet_awesome_gamer w/ (random sponsored company) so the products he use must be awesome and you need those products to be just as awesome.

The 6Gv2 is an excellent choice, cheaper than the Filco with Cherry blacks and it is actually sturdier. That's saying a lot considering that the Filcos are solid, its just that the Steelseries are so frigging heavy and beefy. There is zero flex if you twist it and you could probably beat someone with it. :eek:

thats because there is a steel plate in the keyboard lol

That was some thoroughly pathetic bickering you guys put us through. Good job.

Hm... this really interests me. I've been torn between blacks and browns for a while and I think I change my mind every day. :/ I think I'll be ok with the force, but it just seems like the tactile feedback would be better than a linear path. People keep saying the browns are better for RTS games and blacks are better for FPS, but I assume you're still playing SC2. I'd probably bottom out in both types of games, so do either of them have an issue with that? Also, I know the blues have an issue with double tapping but the brown doesn't, right?

I can't speak for the blue, nor do I think I ever will given that I don't want my keyboard to "click". :)

You know, I picked up the brown for the tactile feedback because I was worried that I wouldn't as easily know when the actuation point with the black would be. Well, don't worry about that, you get a "feel" for the linear keys very very quickly. It should boil down to if you want a key that presses very easily and is super sensitive, or if you want one that is more "normal" in terms of its resistance.

The "bump" you get with the tactile keyboards honestly isn't a factor for me anymore, it barely registers in my head. It is all about key resistance.

IMHO the black switches are just fine for RTS games. In a way they are better for me. I was making mistakes hitting adjacent keys with the browns because they are so sensitive. Not so with the black ones.

Both are great. Best case scenario is that we could all type on them on working computers in a store, then decide which one to buy instead of making blind guesses. Oh well. :)

Last edited:
Both are great. Best case scenario is that we could all type on them on working computers in a store, then decide which one to buy instead of making blind guesses. Oh well. :)

This would be fantastic, but the demand isn't there for most retailers to carry them. The only mechanical keyboards we're going to see for now are the gaming ones like the 6Gv2, 7G, the upcoming Black Widow, and possibly the Logitech G-series if they ever decide to go mechanical.

This would be fantastic, but the demand isn't there for most retailers to carry them. The only mechanical keyboards we're going to see for now are the gaming ones like the 6Gv2, 7G, the upcoming Black Widow, and possibly the Logitech G-series if they ever decide to go mechanical.

That's honestly way better than before. Yeah, mechanical keyboards will never catch up with membrane keyboards because of the price, but people will at least have more opportunities to try them out and buy them.

This thread interested me enough to do some research today on mechanical keyboards. I ordered a Deck Legend Ice Tactile tonight. I had to have the back-lighting! :D

What would you guys recommend on a $70 budget? I guess mechanical keyboards are out of my price range...

What would you guys recommend on a $70 budget? I guess mechanical keyboards are out of my price range...

You can get a Razer Blackwidow when they come out for 80$
Cherry Blues - Clicky
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B003ZJ1VD8

I rocks Mechanical keyboard 82.99
Chery Browns - non clicky
http://www.macmall.com/p/I-Rocks-Technology-Keyboards/product~dpno~7845147~pdp.ffgcafe

Unicomp keyboards are as low as 70$ and have buckling springs.
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

Model Ms are dirt cheap all over ebay.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. The BlackWidow is the only one I could obtain here though. How does it stack up against other keyboards though, like for example the G110?

It's mechanical and has macros. So it's sort of the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I have an IBM model M in excellent shape and a filco with browns and although the model M has nice nostalgic value I love typing and gaming on the filco. Have the full key setup as I game with the arrow/number keys exclusively, resting the left side of the keyboard across the left armrest of the recliner, the mouse goes on the right armrest with left hand in the middle. :)

If you care about macros and the like then the Logitech G510 (successor to G15) and the Logitech G19 are for you. Both have tons of features - Macro keys, media keys, inputs for 3.5mm headphone/mic (G510) or a POWERED USB2.0 hub (G19), Variable color backlighting, and the now famous GamePanel LCD. The G510 is much cheaper and has a monochrome LCD, but the G19's is color - both can be developed for with an open source SDK and many modern games and utilities ( Mumble, World of Warcraft, BFBC2, CoreTemp, FRAPS etc..) have support built in. I've not used the G510, but the G19 is well known to have the best membrane keys available, better than older G15s and other "gaming" keyboards.

If you wish mechanical keys, others have some good suggestions for you here. Honestly, the additional features of my G19 are used so frequently that I'd hate to give them up and go back to a "regular" keyboard, unless I got one of those little USB monitors or something, but if the next G-series high end came with mechanical keys (and open source development - Logitech has slipped a bit with their USB headsets relying entirely on proprietary drivers, and I'd hate to see that happen to their input devices), I'd welcome the change. However, I don't feel I'm really missing anything - the keys on my G19 are responsive, don't "Ghost", and I can hold down all the common combos and not miss an input.

Edit: G510 not G110. 110 has no LCD at all, but backlighting, audio etc...

Last edited:
Reviews of the 7g on newegg and elsewhere report the keyboard failing in less then a year. Not to mention steelseries has notoriously bad customer support which is also mentioned in reviews as well as experiencing it myself.
I'm not saying mechanical keyboards aren't better then membrane, just the steelseries ones have a lot of room for improvement.

I have to agree with you on Steelseries' customer support. I still have my broken Ikari sitting here. They never even bothered to respond to my emails. I wouldn't spend too much money on any of their products.

Just a quick question, how well are cherry blues at typing and programming? I'm still mulling on whether to purchase a month old G110 @ ~58USD or a new BlackWidow @ ~86USD.

Just a quick question, how well are cherry blues at typing and programming? I'm still mulling on whether to purchase a month old G110 @ ~58USD or a new BlackWidow @ ~86USD.

Typing is what they were created for. Go for the Black Widow :)

Be very careful if you go for the Black Widow, I bought the Razer Lycosa a week ago, and due to it's lack of n-key rollover it's pretty much useless to me as a gaming keyboard. ie very poor performance in terms of pressing multpile keys at the same time.

Example. Pressing a and w keys at the same time, there are multiple keys that will not register as a third key.

Also anyone who uses the "arrow" keys in gaming, you will not be able to press numpad 0 while pressing say up and left for example.

I was set on a blackwidow and I've actually already preordered one., but now I think I'll buy a filco because Razer keeps moving the blackwidow's release date. I was hoping to get the blackwidow ultimate, but now I either wait till the end of this month for the regular blackwidow (and possibly have to wait longer for unpredicted delays by Razer), or I might just go ahead and buy a filco... Unfortunately the Filco keyboard that I want is on backorder but should be available soon.

Back