Best game evar?

I've been gaming since I was 3 years old (Kings Quest 1 on IBM PCjr - 1984). While I do hold a special place in my heart for those early adventure games, I'd have to say that my favourite game of all time is World of Warcraft. That game is dangerously good. So dangerous I had to go cold turkey on it and stop playing after 6 months of non-stop playing. No game has ever done that to me before. A lot of people complain about it, but those people are just spending their entire lives playing the game, so they're nitpicking IMO.

Honourable mentions:
All Space/Kings/Police Quest games involving typed commands
Super Mario 1
Dragon Warrior 1
Baseball Stars
Street Fighter 2
Doom 2
Super Mario 64
GTA3

RTCW:Enemy Territory

Only because it was free and I played it for 2 years straight.

The only other game I can say that about is Euchre :p

chiablo said:
3D mark has the same amount of gameplay that Doom3 had.

/Tech Demo's FTW

lol...open door, strafe left, turn, shoot. Repeat for 10 levels.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Following close behind, World of Warcraft

WTF where's TES3: Morrowind!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! that game was the first 1 that i completely lost myself in. it completely owned my life in 6th and 7th grade. not so much now, but only bcuz i started playin this obscure game called battlefield 2. perhaps someone here has heard of it. neway it gets place #2 4 sure.

For me, if you was going to judge a game by the most ammount of time you have spent on it, then it would have to be Championship Manager (back when it was Sports Interactive)/Football Manager. Those games are damned addictive.

Anybody who has played them will know what I mean;)

GMoney42392 said:
WTF where's TES3: Morrowind!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! that game was the first 1 that i completely lost myself in. it completely owned my life in 6th and 7th grade. not so much now, but only bcuz i started playin this obscure game called battlefield 2. perhaps someone here has heard of it. neway it gets place #2 4 sure.

I personally felt that Daggerfall and Oblivion were better. I think of Morrowind as the "weak link" of the TES games (or at least the 2nd brownest game of all time), but to each their own. They're still all awesome!

cyks said:
Diablo II

</thread>

I would have cried if I were the first to say that!

That game was a blackhole of my spare time on and off for 5 years.

I still have urges to play it, luckily that can be supressed with WoW now.

Too many to have favorites, and too many duplicates in one category. Here's a list of games that I played the hell out of.

FFIII, one of the best games I have ever played; at the time, not many people knew that it could be two player

FFVII, simply fantastic; I still have Sephiroth's theme on my MP3 player and listen to it almost daily

Total Annhilation, best RTS ever released; still going strong after all these years... I hope Supreme Commander can live up to its namesake

Actraiser, first blend of sim and action play that I am aware of (at least, I played that one first); music was fantastic, sim building element was well done (don't know why Actraiser 2 didn't carry this over), graphics were pretty good for the time

Aerobiz, game of owning an airline; lots of fun (for me at least)

Warcraft II, wonderful game; friend of mine and I against 8 computer opponents in Continent to Explore... 'nuff said

Super Mario Kart (N64 I think), great multiplayer game; fun racing, graphics, and good times all around

Doom 1, Doom 2, Quake 2, inroduction to and refinement on the single player FPS model; great series

World of Warcraft, simply great; I admit, I only played open beta, but I got HOOKED in those two weeks and didn't want to spend that much time with a game, what a game though

Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, my first real foray into strategy gaming; good strategy and tactical elements well integrated with the storyline

Diablo II, took a lot of my time for a while; while not the greatest game I have ever played, there is not ONE SINGLE 3rd person isometric-style fantasy (though other genres fit) game that hasn't been influenced by Diablo II and is compared to it (i.e. just finished the Titan Quest demos and the only things that I could think of is what it did better than D2 and what it did worse).

Street Fighter II, arcade version; IMHO, the original one that started the entire fighting genre (I know that MK is in there too, but I've never been a fan of the MK series)

Virtua Fighter II, arcade version; perhaps the best technical fighting game ever created

Samurai Shodown series, arcade version; I never really got into 3 and 4 but 1 and 2 were amazingly well done

I know that I am missing some here, but these were off the top of my head.

Now that I look back through the list, I played most of these games as co-op or (in the case of the strategy games) with a group of friends. To me, that's what made these games really memorable (in addition to, most of these, being great representations of the genre). That and the music. Many of these games had memorable scores. These scores can make or break the game to me.

Domingo said:
I personally felt that Daggerfall and Oblivion were better. I think of Morrowind as the "weak link" of the TES games (or at least the 2nd brownest game of all time), but to each their own. They're still all awesome!

then im glad im getting oblivion on friday!

1. Crono Trigger
2. Megaman 2
3. Unreal Tournament
4. Red Alert 2
5. Metroid Prime

Regular NES

Final Fantasy (NES)
Contra
Zelda
Kid Icarus
Metroid
RC Pro AM
Castlevania
all the Megaman's

SNES
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Zelda 3

More when I think of em.

More when I think of em.

Dark Prodigy said:
God of War....No other game, not even Metal Gear Solid, has a better story...No other game captures the raw essence of stength, power, aggression and sense of accomplishment. And the graphics look far better than any PS2 game should.

You Halo, Mario, and FF lovers can't even TRY to hate.

Honorable mentions: Metal Gear Solid, Super Metroid, Hexen II

OMG God of War was the shit. Took me 2 weeks to beat it on God mode. Was totally worth it though. If anyone is looking for a challenge, that is your game.

FF7, playing that right now for the first time and so far its bad ass.

Sonic the Hedghog 3 with Knuckles was a load of fun. So was Sonic Adventure.

Quake 4 was fun on Nightmare.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Metroid Prime 1 and 2

Doom.....classic.

TIE fighter was the single best game ever.

It's story and gameplay are better than 99% of all the games that have been released since then.

For the distant past:
Shadows of Darkness for the PC. (So you want to be a hero 5 from Sierra).
Bought an Creative Labs AWE 32 just for it's music !!!!!
Ahhhh!!! The old DOS days!!!!!

For the recent past:
Hexen II (the first game I ever saw with voodoo graphics. Was staring the monitor like stoned for 2 hours not believing the images I was seeing)!!!!!

For today:
Oblivion.

Xenomaniac said:
OMG God of War was the shit. Took me 2 weeks to beat it on God mode. Was totally worth it though. If anyone is looking for a challenge, that is your game.

ahem, try playing Devil May Cry 3 on normal difficulty. or if you have the re-release special edition, then put it on hard to experience the same difficulty. also, its a much better game than God of War, in my oppinion. the game is so polished, focused and pure, its insane. and the difficulty isn't artificial, its just that you suck, and the game forces you to be awesome. you actualy have to use your moves and abilities tactically and when they are designed for. and on a side note, DMC3 is the most fun I've had with bosses since Snake Eater. I didn't really like God of War as much as most people gush about. its a good game, solid, but not super excellent great. I reall liked the game until after the Hydra (which is pretty early) it dipped off for me from there.

my favorite game of all time, currently, is Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, with the regular camera system that was used before the subsistance re-release gave you an option for the new camera (it makes the game real easy, and eliminates the need for a lot of subtle gameplay stuff. the old camera forces you to be much more careful and do a lot more observing and recon.)

say what you will about the cinematics, lame and or slow burn comedy and in jokes etc (I really like the story, and also the jokes), but with or without them, its still my current game of all time.

the gameplay. is. excellent.

CantAimWhenDrunk said:
TIE fighter was the single best game ever.

It's story and gameplay are better than 99% of all the games that have been released since then.

Can I get an Amen?!

I don't really see how any other game past or present can ever compare to TF. The Freespace games come close, though. I mean come on, what self respecting geek doesn't dream of kicking the rebels' asses? And damn this game pulls it off perfectly. You absolutely 100% believe you are on the side of good, protecting the glorious empire from the rebel terrorists. Hell, you get to be Darth Vader's wingman for christsakes, what game can ever top that? :)

When they came out with the enhanced versions of TF and X-Wing, plus all the expansion packs on CD, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

best game ever was CMI, just a darn good game. My least fav is HL 2, it looks too real and makes me sick after an hour.

Here's some of the games I think have either been absolutely groundbreaking in their time or are otherwise what I view as being the best of what the genre has to offer (in more or less chronological order):

Lords of Midnight (ZX Spectrum)
Rebelstar Raiders (ZX Spectrum)
Elite (ZX Spectrum)
Tetris
Another World
Civilization
Secret of Monkey Island
Doom
Neverwinter Nights
RTCW: Enemy Territory
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War

Red Alert, the game that got me hooked on computer gaming.

CS, CS:CZ, CS:S.

I've played CS and its deviations regularly for the better part of 5 years.

Those 2 games are the games I hold dearest, with several others (BF1942, BF1942:EOD, BF2, POP3D, Unreal, HL1, Jedi Knight, American McGees Alice, GTA:SA, BFME, B&W) holding my attention for long spans of time.

Back