Best drain component for custom loop?

Joined
Feb 9, 2018
Messages
15
Seems like the best place to put a drain tube for cleaning out and draining a loop is at the bottom so that gravity pulls the liquid down. In my case, that position is coming out of the pump. So I figure I'll get a Y fitting for the pump outlet which connects to the rest of the loop and to my drain tube.

What's the best mechanism for this? Is there a good Y fitting with a valve I can buy? Or is a quick-disconnect the way to go where I connect an open tube to the quick-disconnect when I want to drain? Or is there a special-purpose device just for this drain mechanism?
 
I've always used a quarter-turn ball valve with a cap for added safety. This way I can remove the cap, attach a temporary hose running to a catch jug, and open the valve.

I've used a QDC before, in a small case where a valve wouldn't fit. It was kinda a pain. A Y or T fitting on your pump will work just fine; just pick one that'll place the valve somewhere convenient.
 
I don't think many worried about it much....they just dumped the rez..pulled the hose and ran the pump into a bucket.
 
I used to drain the systems like you describe but at one point I decided to split the water line at a convenient location and use a double ended barb. Basically add a secondary pump and reservoir externally and use that to remove the fluid. This allowed me to run many gallons of clean water through the loop prior to refilling it.
 
I put in a T fitting at the lowest point, with a ball valve, and a cap.. Rez is second highest point.. since my second rad is mounted on the top of the case...( inside ) once most of it is drained, I just flip the case on its front, and drain that rad..
 
Back
Top