Best Case/Screen Protector for Galaxy S3

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 19, 2001
Messages
4,513
In your guys' opinions, what is the best case and screen protector for the Galaxy S3? I will be receiving mine later today, and want to protect it right off the bat. I do know I have some preferences:

Screen Protector
I do not want a water install one. I like the crystal clear ones and have had good luck with the steam application method.

Case
My last two cases for my phones (Fascinate, Thunderbolt), have been those hybrid cases that have a rubber/silicon inner layer and then a hard rubberized plastic outer layer. I don't really want to spend $30 on a case if a $10 case will work just as well, but will consider it if the case is awesome enough. Here are some I'm considering:
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm curious about this as well.

I ordered this

Its similar to the otterbox but a fraction of the cost and the reviews seem good for its price. I figure with free shipping 5 bucks isn't a bad loss if I decide I don't like it. I'd prefer to have a much thinner case but I'm super paranoid that I'll drop it and crack the screen.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm curious about this as well.

I ordered this

Its similar to the otterbox but a fraction of the cost and the reviews seem good for its price. I figure with free shipping 5 bucks isn't a bad loss if I decide I don't like it. I'd prefer to have a much thinner case but I'm super paranoid that I'll drop it and crack the screen.

The only thing I didn't like about that one was that it was reversed from what I want. The hard layer is the inner layer, and the rubber layer was the outer.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I dislike all those cases you listed. They're fat and ugly and make a sleek phone look like a brick. This is the one I've got - it's thin, rubbery so you won't drop your phone and the front sticks out a bit so the screen doesn't touch the desk when you put it face down. I can't say if it will hold up to a drop but in the last few years of owning smartphones I've only ever dropped an iPhone once and got away with it so I'll go for a thin case over a bricky one anytime. Obviously YMMV.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was originally going to go with the Samsung Mesh Vent case but am now considering the Diztronic TPU case as I probably won't use a stand much and it's half the price with good reviews. Never had a TPU case but I hear good things regarding shock absorption and texture.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was originally going to go with the Samsung Mesh Vent case but am now considering the Diztronic TPU case as I probably won't use a stand much and it's half the price with good reviews. Never had a TPU case but I hear good things regarding shock absorption and texture.

I had considered that Diztronic TPU case. I'm interested in the sleekness of it. Never owned/seen/touched a TPU case before though, so I am unsure. I know I would NEVER have a silicon only case.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
went with the SGP ultra nano clear screen protector because i hate any sticky feeling with screen protectors. The case I went with the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089E4050/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 because its so cheap. Only 6 bucks and was the favored one on androidauthority review of soft cases on youtube. I don't really want to add too much bulk to the phone. Its already kind of big. Also since its so cheap if the case breaks i can easily buy a new one.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got this for the case.... Just for grip purposes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089CH2S4/ with gorilla glass the screen won't be scratched easily unless you're really careless. Three dollars, if it sucks then no big issue. I have prime.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For a case use otterbox, i sell them all day long at work and we never get people who arent happy with the protection they provide.
 
I agree those cases all look too large. I'm going no screen protector and a lightweight blue silicone case from Verizon.
 
For a case use otterbox, i sell them all day long at work and we never get people who arent happy with the protection they provide.

I had one basically the same a long while back for my Verizon XV6800 (HTC Titan, WM6.1 phone), I stopped using it pretty quickly as it added so much bulk and I can't remember ever having dropped my phone since. Getting such a huge shell kind of defeats the purpose of a thin, light phone in the first place :eek: I think.

Screen protectors are completely unneeded, they used to be good if you weren't careful with your stylus, but now unless you keep your keys in with your phone, the Gorilla Glass isn't going to scratch anyway. Plus, they mess up the color a bit regardless of how good it is, either dimming the intensity/brightness or shifting the tones a bit. Sometimes, they do both.
 
I agree those cases all look too large. I'm going no screen protector and a lightweight blue silicone case from Verizon.

Yeah, the one I ordered is a thin silicone case... I should have gotten a blue one probably, though... not sure I'll end up actually using it but I figured I'd see how it was for $3 shipped.
 
I had one basically the same a long while back for my Verizon XV6800 (HTC Titan, WM6.1 phone), I stopped using it pretty quickly as it added so much bulk and I can't remember ever having dropped my phone since. Getting such a huge shell kind of defeats the purpose of a thin, light phone in the first place :eek: I think.

I have an Otterbox for my Droid 1 and it's proven its durability on more than one occasion. It only takes the one time a phone slips out of your pocket getting out of the car in a parking lot or an accidental slip while on pavement. Over 2+ years of use that's bound to happen at least once.

It does add bulk but the Droid wasn't exactly known for being a sexy lightweight phone in the first place so I didn't mind it. I won't be opposed to getting one for the S3 since I've had such a good experience with my Droid but I want to give TPU cases a shot and see if it might work well enough without adding too much girth. The $30 price tag for the S3 otter is a bit steep in comparison.

I just got my Diztronic in the mail (Amazon Prime shipping is too damn fast sometimes..making my wait for the phone that much harder). I totally understand the comments about the matte back being slippery, kinda worried about that. It is far more flexible than what I was expecting and does seem like it will be able to absorb a drop from a decent height. It seems solidly made and it comes with a screen protector (won't be using) and a microfiber cloth. I feel like it's a very good deal for $9 and wouldn't mind spending another $9 on a gloss one or different brand/design with more grip later on if it turns into an issue.
 
I pay for Verizon's accidental damage coverage monthly, though I've literally never had to use it. I've owned a good number of phones over the years and never broken/dropped one.
 
Last edited:
I got an Otterbox last week for $28 shipped on Amazon. A lot of them ship in a couple of weeks, but I toss 1 from each seller in my cart and found one that was shipping immediately.

It comes with a screen protector, I'm putting it on the phone now.
 
I've broken and dropped by current moto atrix a few times, and shattered the screen once. Got an otterbox commuter after that. And even with it, it's been through some hard falls (though no breaks). I guess I should just be more careful ;)

I keep my phone with my keys sometimes, so I went with SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector & the Diztronic TPU case
 
I guess the Otterbox cases must be for people who drop the phone a lot? I thought about getting one but they look massive compared to many other cases. I use a standard fishbone case on my SGS and I've dropped it a couple times onto hardwood and it's never had a problem. I feel like an Otterbox case wouldn't allow the phone to fit in my pocket anymore.
 
I guess the Otterbox cases must be for people who drop the phone a lot? I thought about getting one but they look massive compared to many other cases. I use a standard fishbone case on my SGS and I've dropped it a couple times onto hardwood and it's never had a problem. I feel like an Otterbox case wouldn't allow the phone to fit in my pocket anymore.

The defender? Feels like a brick.

The commuter adds a bit more of volume but certainly never felt uncomfortable in my jeans.
 
I guess the Otterbox cases must be for people who drop the phone a lot? I thought about getting one but they look massive compared to many other cases. I use a standard fishbone case on my SGS and I've dropped it a couple times onto hardwood and it's never had a problem. I feel like an Otterbox case wouldn't allow the phone to fit in my pocket anymore.

I had a fishbone for my SGS also (wish I could find one for SG3). One reason why I like the hybrid cases. I personally don't think any of them I listed add a ton of bulk...maybe the Otterbox. Besides...it doesn't bother me. I'm not a girly man, and lift the phone even with the added bulk. I also never have my phone in my pocket...too scared I'll crush it or snap the screen. My current phone is probably way worse for weight and size (Thunderbolt with a vertex hybrid case) and I love it. It goes into a phone holster on my waist.
 
I just got my Diztronic in the mail (Amazon Prime shipping is too damn fast sometimes..making my wait for the phone that much harder). I totally understand the comments about the matte back being slippery, kinda worried about that. It is far more flexible than what I was expecting and does seem like it will be able to absorb a drop from a decent height. It seems solidly made and it comes with a screen protector (won't be using) and a microfiber cloth. I feel like it's a very good deal for $9 and wouldn't mind spending another $9 on a gloss one or different brand/design with more grip later on if it turns into an issue.

Is it really bad? Or is it something that is like a finishing powder or shipping powder, and will wear off and be more grippy later? If you were to wet it, does the slipperyness of it go away?
 
I had a fishbone for my SGS also (wish I could find one for SG3). One reason why I like the hybrid cases. I personally don't think any of them I listed add a ton of bulk...maybe the Otterbox. Besides...it doesn't bother me. I'm not a girly man, and lift the phone even with the added bulk. I also never have my phone in my pocket...too scared I'll crush it or snap the screen. My current phone is probably way worse for weight and size (Thunderbolt with a vertex hybrid case) and I love it. It goes into a phone holster on my waist.

Yeah, I've felt your concern about maybe squishing the phone, but it's never been an issue and I much prefer it to having to wear a belt clip or something.

For right now I just picked up one of these in black, and I'll just wait for a fishbone design to come out.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My vote is just get a slip case and pull it in/out. You don't lose the sleekness. I have a fitbag sleeve on my gnex.
 
This is without a doubt the best case I have found for the GS3... Ever since I bought a EVO 4G for Sprint when it first released, I can't go without the kickstand. With these big screen phones, you need a kickstand. Even when I bought my iPhone 4S, the first thing I bought in the Sprint store was the kickstand case by Seidio, and this one looks really good on the GS3... especially the white case. I want the white GS3 with the ACTIVE case with Metal Kickstand - Glossed White.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CSK3SSGS3K-GL
 
This is without a doubt the best case I have found for the GS3... Ever since I bought a EVO 4G for Sprint when it first released, I can't go without the kickstand. With these big screen phones, you need a kickstand. Even when I bought my iPhone 4S, the first thing I bought in the Sprint store was the kickstand case by Seidio, and this one looks really good on the GS3... especially the white case. I want the white GS3 with the ACTIVE case with Metal Kickstand - Glossed White.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CSK3SSGS3K-GL

Is the black part silicone? If so, that is kind of like a fishbone design. :cool:

$35 seems kinda insane, though.
 
Seido's stuff was great when I used to use it years ago... :). Definitely was worth the premium if you could find it anywhere a scrap less or with a discount on their site.
 
Is the black part silicone? If so, that is kind of like a fishbone design. :cool:

$35 seems kinda insane, though.

It is worth the premium in this case. I maintain this is the best case for the GS3. The kickstand is really durable and the build quality is top notch for the case. Makes me more comfortable in using the phone.
 
You didn't really answer my question about whether or not it's silicone... :p
 
You didn't really answer my question about whether or not it's silicone... :p

Did you not read the description? Lazy ass.... lol :rolleyes:

The ACTIVE® case is a light, protective companion for smart devices on the go. It provides shock absorbing protection with two interlocking layers in a thin case for your Samsung Galaxy S III.

The design and materials in the plastic and silicone provide users with improved device grip, while the rubberized coating on the exoskeleton makes it easy to slip the case in and out of a pocket or purse.
 
Technically that does not answer the question either :)rolleyes: right back at you) but I'm assuming the black part is a silicone insert and the colored/white is a rubberized hard plastic exoskeleton.

If true, looks like a good case.
 
Technically that does not answer the question either :)rolleyes: right back at you) but I'm assuming the black part is a silicone insert and the colored/white is a rubberized hard plastic exoskeleton.

If true, looks like a good case.

:rolleyes:...yes, the black part is the silicone.
 
:rolleyes:...yes, the black part is the silicone.

Thanks. And, by the way? Shove the roll eyes son.

I saw there had been a 20 percent off code that expired on the case July 7th. I may try calling to see if they would honor it for any order. It was REDWHITEBLUE for anyone wanting to try.
 
I'm a huge fan of the oem flipcase, pretty much no added bulk, keeps the same sleekness and protects the screen rather well. Ordered mine from Amazon UK store since it's out of stock stateside. Doesn't even affect usability since you can talk on the phone with tte cover closed and it flips down and out of the way for app use.

www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EFC-1G6FBEGSTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wrKPhRNla8


Ooh nice, I didn't know of that one.
 
I got a CruzerLite case as well, the AOKP design. Thin, lightweight. I don't have it on yet but it looks great.
 
Hm, nice, I just saw these on monoprice:

Charcoal/Black: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083306&p_id=9492&seq=1&format=2

Frosted/White: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083306&p_id=9582&seq=1&format=2

They look great... they're thin polycarbonate cases with a TPU/rubber bumper on the sides/top/bottom w/ button cutouts. I grabbed the charcoal/black one for $5.xx shipped with "usps small package" shipping and the current coupon for 10% off: INFOCOMM12 . I already have a rubber TPU slipcover coming tomorrow that I got for $3 off amazon, but if I'd known this was coming I'd have grabbed it instead. This one looks much, much nicer... kinda figured I might replace the amazon one anyway originally, :p, so not any loss I wasn't expecting.
 
Hm, nice, I just saw these on monoprice:

Charcoal/Black: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083306&p_id=9492&seq=1&format=2

Frosted/White: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083306&p_id=9582&seq=1&format=2

They look great... they're thin polycarbonate cases with a TPU/rubber bumper on the sides/top/bottom w/ button cutouts. I grabbed the charcoal/black one for $5.xx shipped with "usps small package" shipping and the current coupon for 10% off: INFOCOMM12 . I already have a rubber TPU slipcover coming tomorrow that I got for $3 off amazon, but if I'd known this was coming I'd have grabbed it instead. This one looks much, much nicer... kinda figured I might replace the amazon one anyway originally, :p, so not any loss I wasn't expecting.

Oooh...I like that one. I might just start with that one and see how I like it. Thanks for the info!
 
Back
Top