Best card for 1920x1080?

mq6600

n00b
So I'm sure you guys are tired of seeing another " what card?" thread but i have never been so indecisive on what card to get and it doesn't help that the current crop of cards are just awesome.......here's the deal I have a Q6600 (G0) clocked @3Ghz and have enough to hit 3.6 stable if needed be, single pcie slot ( no SLI or CFX ),
and i game at 1920X1080 and would like medium to high settings ( im not including crysis thats just unreasonable to ask high setting for). What GFX card could you guys recommend?

Ohh and the upper limit of the budget is about $450.

Thanks Ahead.

GTX 570 performs best at that resolution. But only by a few FPS. Honestly this is a really annoying generation, since the HD 69502gb is great but sometimes dips pretty low, and the GTX 570 is the best but just a bit expensive for what it is. The GTX 560TI would be good too, but performs a bit worse than the HD 6950 overall.

even my old gtx260 can play Crysis on high settings at 1920x1080. just get a gtx460 1gb and save yourself 300 bucks since you don't seem to care about maxing all the details in every game.

even my old gtx260 can play Crysis on high settings at 1920x1080. just get a gtx460 1gb and save yourself 300 bucks since you don't seem to care about maxing all the details in every game.

I don't know but I wasn't exactly pleased with my GTX280s performance on high at that resolution in Crysis.

Your getting close to the money for a 1.5 GB 580, you could definitely pick up a used one for that.

I don't know but I wasn't exactly pleased with my GTX280s performance on high at that resolution in Crysis.

I agree... playing crysis is a PITA in HD and above. Either way i think i have narrowed it down to the GTX570 and a HD6970 2Gb. Thanks for the help

or look for a 5850/5870 those cards eat crysis at 1900x1200 at max details even aa and af maxed. i found they ran a good 10-15fps faster than my 280gtx but the 5850 is a newer card so i wanst tsupprised a 6950 would do all you never need at that res and you can even flash it to a 6950 so win win

I agree... playing crysis is a PITA in HD and above. Either way i think i have narrowed it down to the GTX570 and a HD6970 2Gb. Thanks for the help

Keep in mind that you can pick up a 6950 2GB for $245 after a mir and unlock the shaders. These cards seem to overclock like a beast as well. Those cards are a great bang for your buck imo.

or look for a 5850/5870 those cards eat crysis at 1900x1200 at max details even aa and af maxed. i found they ran a good 10-15fps faster than my 280gtx but the 5850 is a newer card so i wanst tsupprised a 6950 would do all you never need at that res and you can even flash it to a 6950 so win win

I couldn't max out Crysis at 1920x1080 on a 4870x2 or a 6870. I played around with a 6950 with a 6970 bios and it seemed to do a pretty good job. I didn't see the dips that I saw with the x2 or Barts.

Keep in mind that you can pick up a 6950 2GB for $245 after a mir and unlock the shaders. These cards seem to overclock like a beast as well. Those cards are a great bang for your buck imo.

Good point... i have seen that unlock rates for the 6950 seem pretty high.

Yeah, I've got a GTX 280 SLI setup as well and Crysis @ 1920x1080 High detail isn't perfect. With all of these new cards catering to multi-display setups, though, it seems like it shouldn't be hard to find a sub-$300 card for max detail 1080p gaming that will last a few years (?).

EDIT: I'm actually kind of curious to know how GTX 280 SLI compares to modern cards, since they're not included in most benchmarks these days but they've still been running pretty good for me.

I went from 3x 280 SLI to 3x 480 SLI last year before I got the 580s and it was a HUGE leap, really no comparison even with a single 1920×1200 display.

Crysis on HIGH, not VERY HIGH, runs pretty well with my HD 4870 512mb @ 1080P. I occasionally get some nasty lag spikes, but I mean this card is old.

Honestly, an HD 5870 1gb would be fine. I was reading a review and in Crysis Warhead it gets a minimum framerate of 32FPS(I think without AA though) on Enthusiast and I am pretty sure Warhead is more demanding than Crysis 1.

Good point... i have seen that unlock rates for the 6950 seem pretty high.

I'm 2 for 2 now. One card does 880mhz on stock 6850 volts and the other does at least 900mhz on stock 6950 volts. Both with the shaders unlocked and will do higher with more core voltage. They also run pretty cool in my FT-02 and surprisingly quiet. It really is a great card at the price.

I haven't tried crossfire btw.

I went from 3x 280 SLI to 3x 480 SLI last year before I got the 580s and it was a HUGE leap, really no comparison even with a single 1920×1200 display.

No doubt. I'm mostly just wondering what a decent leap would be for a single-card solution over 2x GTX 280s.

No doubt. I'm mostly just wondering what a decent leap would be for a single-card solution over 2x GTX 280s.

Overall in terms of performance where SLI is effective it's a lateral move but you should be able to crank up settings a bit more with more with 50% more memory on the 480. But where one card can replace to and give equivalent performance I'd say is a good upgrade.

Last edited:
So I'm sure you guys are tired of seeing another " what card?" thread but i have never been so indecisive on what card to get and it doesn't help that the current crop of cards are just awesome.......here's the deal I have a Q6600 (G0) clocked @3Ghz and have enough to hit 3.6 stable if needed be, single pcie slot ( no SLI or CFX ),
and i game at 1920X1080 and would like medium to high settings ( im not including crysis thats just unreasonable to ask high setting for). What GFX card could you guys recommend?

Ohh and the upper limit of the budget is about $450.

Thanks Ahead.

6950 2gb version

Get a 6950 1GB and spend the rest of your money on something else. For 1080p that card will be more than enough. Besides Crysis you can max out every game there is currently at that resolution. At 1080p the 6950 1GB will be every bit as fast as the 2GB version.

I also say 6950.

The 6950, and your cpu should last you 2-3 more years, so when you get a new cpu/mobo, buy one with crossfire support, by that time 6950 will be cheap, so just get a second to crossfire with.

The CPU is pretty good. I think those Q6600's are very similar in preformance to the X4 955 clock for clock. You may want to bump the clocks up a bit, some games might be limited a bit at that speed. A 6950 1GB will make that PC very capable.

Crysis on HIGH, not VERY HIGH, runs pretty well with my HD 4870 512mb @ 1080P. I occasionally get some nasty lag spikes, but I mean this card is old.

Honestly, an HD 5870 1gb would be fine. I was reading a review and in Crysis Warhead it gets a minimum framerate of 32FPS(I think without AA though) on Enthusiast and I am pretty sure Warhead is more demanding than Crysis 1.

Warhead tends to run slightly better than Crysis 1 for me.

I would go with 6950 and unlock shaders like I did. Keep it cool though if you're oc'ing. Mine needs to run at over 40% fan when gaming for more than one hour or so, or BSOD.

I also say 6950.

The 6950, and your cpu should last you 2-3 more years, so when you get a new cpu/mobo, buy one with crossfire support, by that time 6950 will be cheap, so just get a second to crossfire with.

In 2-3 years Crossfire is a joke IMO. What I mean is you're better off going CF to begin with a new build, or getting a better single card in the future. The cards don't get cheaper in my experience. I had planned on going SLI with Nvidia a while back and the cards never got any cheaper, and then suddenly newer cards made the older ones obsolete, even in a dual config.

I see a lot of people clearly recommending cards based off what they can afford and not anywhere remotely close to your original question. Staying neutral and unbiased, the best card for 1920 x 1080 would be the 6950 2gb card flashed to a 6970. This is based off of price point and performance.

Back