Best Buy to stop selling DVDs and Blue-rays tech news?

Cocaine Bear was awesome. You missed out.
It was pretty cringe tbh. I had a hell of a time trying to slog through it. It was Elizabeth Banks trying her absolute best to get under my skin. Not as bad as the new Transformers (quit watching after 13 minutes) but still bad.

They were threatening to do this a decade ago when I worked there. Meanwhile the vinyl section is larger than it has any right to be.

Yeah, that is true. I think the last time I bough physical media at a Blockbuster was in 2000 in college when I really wanted the Gladiator DVD :p

(I still have my college DVD collection in a box somewhere collecting dust. I should throw it out at some point. 480p video has no value in 2023)
At least try donating it or giving it away before trashing it? There's plenty of content never making it past DVD.

+1 on seeing the true difference when you have a set up for viewing films...

I have an 7.4.2 atmos setup with an epson 5050, which isnt even true 4k but does do hdr. Full dark room on like a 110in screen.

I think I'd take a physical bluray over streaming 4k. With streaming, I can see patches of the picture where the compression kicks on. I'll stream if it 1080p stream vs physical 480p. I only buy 4k because I can tell the difference especially with atmos.

But in the regular ol family room is a hisense 65in tv. I can stream from disney+ or a full bitrate rip on my emby box and the difference is tough to see.
It's a nicer viewing experience even if you can't notice the quality differences. Streaming should continually improve as codecs do but, streaming services tend to favor bandwidth savings from what I've seen.

I bought my first dvds i think in 98 or 99. I feel like they have had a good run

It's a nicer viewing experience even if you can't notice the quality differences. Streaming should continually improve as codecs do but, streaming services tend to favor bandwidth savings from what I've seen.
I noticed that too. I have bought several 4K movies that I streamed first on like HBO, and I have always found the disc version to be superior in image and sound quality. It's why I think 8K isn't even anything to be excited about. Most people won't see the difference and they'll charge you an extra fee to stream it at that high a resolution just like they do for 4K now. Those people that could see the difference are going to complain because of the lower bitrates they'll use to compress it to save bandwidth and in the end no one will be happy with 8K which will end up being a failed format.

Yes, but part of this also just comes down to economics. We kind of mentioned that above. If the costs of Blu-Ray weren't so stupid expensive, I'm sure people that say, own a PS3/PS4/PS5 would buy a couple now and again. But at $30+ dollars to start on a single disc, and I have to figure out how to get it, I could just stream for 3 months instead.

We all know the jackets they mass produce cost a nickel. And the disc's themselves have gotten to the point of also being cheap to mass produce. Even if they cost a dollar (which I doubt), it's still at most a $2.00 product being sold for $30 (licensing fee for BD is somewhere in there, but I'm a normie and don't want to figure it out). Granted, yes, what you're paying for is the content - however every penny they make past the manufacturing and shipping cost is 100% pure profit. If they were slightly less greedy they could milk the cow from both ends, getting streaming royalties and selling way more discs. That clearly is not a part of anyone's strategy though.

If you have a setup that supports Dolby HDR (or HDR10) and Atomos, with a film that supports both, then the differences can be staggering. Watching something like Dune or Blade Runner 2049 that are designed to be visual/audio feasts takes it to another level.
I have an 85" Samsung qn85b QLED, and I've yet to see it in its full glory. I don't have a blue ray 4k.player. I don't think ps3 can handle those. It's a shame all I'll ever be able to see is streaming compressed garbage.

Cable is all over compressed as well at 1080P! Looks awful. Setting up monster antenna in my attic to at least get ATSC 1.0 locals with the hope of a reasonably decent ATSC 3.0 implementation for some.

Here is the problem with the quality versus convenience argument. Hollywood has come to the end of their creativity. Am I really going to invest in a setup that supports Dolby HDR (or HDR10) and Atomos and pay extra for BD and forgo the convenience of streaming just to watch the latest sequel, prequel, requel, reboot, or whatever crap is shoved out of studios today. 4K, BD, Dolby, can't elevate crappy movies.

Here is the problem with the quality versus convenience argument. Hollywood has come to the end of their creativity. Am I really going to invest in a setup that supports Dolby HDR (or HDR10) and Atomos and pay extra for BD and forgo the convenience of streaming just to watch the latest sequel, prequel, requel, reboot, or whatever crap is shoved out of studios today. 4K, BD, Dolby, can't elevate crappy movies.
They release more than brand new movies on bluray yknow :). Plenty of good ones to get still. Also, some new stuff is still good. It's more enjoyable to watch in my home theater than going to a cinema.

I mean, YOU don't have to if you don't want. I still find myself entertained by movies when I have time to sit and watch them. And I would rather do it in my theater than going to the movies. I still like to have a physical disc, the quality is so much better plus i don't want internet hiccups down-rez the image because steam decided to update a game or it was just windy outside lol.

I mean, YOU don't have to if you don't want. I still find myself entertained by movies when I have time to sit and watch them. And I would rather do it in my theater than going to the movies. I still like to have a physical disc, the quality is so much better plus i don't want internet hiccups down-rez the image because steam decided to update a game or it was just windy outside lol.
This is an honest question, in the past 10 years what percentage of movies that you watched made you say "wow that was great" ?

This is an honest question, in the past 10 years what percentage of movies that you watched made you say "wow that was great" ?
Not too many but honestly i don't need it. If i buy a movie for $10-$15 and i am entertained for 2 hours then it is worth it. Most times I will always finish a movie though, couple times i couldnt do it. And as this is a type of art it is all going to be opinions. Sometimes i wanna see shit blow up in lots of colors, sometimes i want to laugh, sometimes the wife an i will find the lowest rated movies we can find and get some drinks and snacks and watch those like we are in mystery science theater.

But if i am going to sit somewhere and watch these, i want it to look and sound nice.

And sometimes buying a bluray is cheaper than renting lol.

Dr-Rick-MMA@2x[1].jpg

I have an 85" Samsung qn85b QLED, and I've yet to see it in its full glory. I don't have a blue ray 4k.player. I don't think ps3 can handle those. It's a shame all I'll ever be able to see is streaming compressed garbage.
Hook it up to your computer and watch YT 4K videos, making sure the resolution is set as high as possible. Probably the best you can get without something like a BR4K player.

And sometimes buying a bluray is cheaper than renting lol.
Heh, I usually pay $3-6 for most of mine, since I don't usually buy day 1. 4k discs I nab at the $8-12 mark, but I've gotten cheaper ones.

The argument of a 4k at $30 is kind of silly. They usually drop to $20ish within a month or two.

Most were good enough. I mean, I play game, watch TV, and enjoy musuc through it too.
Same. 65" with a 5.1 receiver and speakers with a bluray player really isnt that pricey. At least not when stacked next to my other poor choice hobbies haha. Not the fanciest setup but for me much nicer than just a tv and maybe a soundbar.

Even a scary movie with a bad plot is so much nicer hearing a yell come from behind you.

Heh, I usually pay $3-6 for most of mine, since I don't usually buy day 1. 4k discs I nab at the $8-12 mark, but I've gotten cheaper ones.

The argument of a 4k at $30 is kind of silly. They usually drop to $20ish within a month or two.
Yea if i NEED it on release day then fine, but usually i forget about it until i see it pop up on amazon or walking around the store and see a movie i wanted.

Movies at home is decently cheap entertainment IMO.

The concept of "owning" things is going to be very different soon.

Also I predict Redbox will be shortly following suit after all of their machines are being taken out of our "Publix" supermarket chain here in the Southeast.

“You will own nothing. And you’ll be happy”.

As someone that typically only watches things once this is actually true in regard to movies.

If it was a DVD or blueray I might as well throw it in the trash after watching it. There is no need for me to own it. Also screw actually needing the physical disc, buying it or needing to touch it and put it in a player, yuck.

If I can save money by simply renting it or it being part of a service that has many other movies that's great.

Although I do actually like the higher quality that blurays SOMETIMES offer over streaming. So I may just "get" that version, but I'm not going to "own" the actual disc. So it is true that I will own nothing and be happy in regard to movies. I am of course happier owning things I actually use enough to warrant buying them.

I noticed that too. I have bought several 4K movies that I streamed first on like HBO, and I have always found the disc version to be superior in image and sound quality. It's why I think 8K isn't even anything to be excited about. Most people won't see the difference and they'll charge you an extra fee to stream it at that high a resolution just like they do for 4K now. Those people that could see the difference are going to complain because of the lower bitrates they'll use to compress it to save bandwidth and in the end no one will be happy with 8K which will end up being a failed format.
Sounds about right, it's probably never making it to a physical format outside of theaters, if those aren't networked by then.

Nothing comes to mind for Hollywood/live action stuff made in that time frame :LOL:.

Having watching an old DVD very recently on a Xbox console, I knew it was a terrible interface menu-play wise, but I was still suprised by just how bad the experience was, ended up leaving the whole thing by error when I was just trying to put the subtitle on....

It's a shame all I'll ever be able to see is streaming compressed garbage.
Versus bluray compressed garbage ? AV1 > h.265
Only way to have still heavily compressed obviously but not temporal compression is going to the movie in theater (DCP of old 2k movie were often above 200GB).

You can try to find raw or lossless compression short video, for example:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80519
half a gig by second....

Because they can prepare multiple file in advance and talk to your device, streaming can use always the latest and best compression algorithm and only the sound format you need, there already a list of title that look better on some tv when streaming from D+ or other than the UHD bluray of those movie, because of Dolby HDR and what not.

Last edited:
I buy cheap DVDs from EBay, sometimes by the hundreds and upscale them to 1080p with handbrake for my plex. Horrible movies or kids stuff goes to the thrift store. Looks good enough to me. I have a handfull of blue ray. I was raised on VHS, and probably didn’t get a single DVD until 2005 or so

Pretty high...

I don't go to many movies, so when I do go, I make sure they are ones I want to see.

For example, Darkest Hour was excellent. I thought Oppenheimer was good too. Also recently went to A Haunting in Venice and thought it was pretty good.

I skipped the latest Disney remake of Little Mermaid and Lion King and and and....the originals were fine.

I am done with theaters personally. No reason to go anymore. Movies come to streaming very quickly now. I got a great setup at and don't feel I am missing out on anything by not going to theathers.

Probably about 5%.

Although I will say that experience wise that has gone up. There is a local theater with discount Tuesdays that has fully reclining seats, a lax policy about bringing in food and drink, and their screens/projectors/sound system is state of the art.

Home wise, AppleTV+ has been great as it supports Dolby Vision and has much higher nitrates than Netflix.

Again, content wise though 5-10% or so. And that’s because I’m selective. I don’t watch everything. Marvel as an example is garbage. If I watched everything that percentage would likely drop like a rock.

Having watching an old DVD very recently on a Xbox console, I knew it was a terrible interface menu-play wise, but I was still suprised by just how bad the experience was, ended up leaving the whole thing by error when I was just trying to put the subtitle on....

Versus bluray compressed garbage ? AV1 > h.265
Only way to have still heavily compressed obviously but not temporal compression is going to the movie in theater (DCP of old 2k movie were often above 200GB).

You can try to find raw or lossless compression short video, for example:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80519
half a gig by second....

Because they can prepare multiple file in advance and talk to your device, streaming can use always the latest and best compression algorithm and only the sound format you need, there already a list of title that look better on some tv when streaming from D+ or other than the UHD bluray of those movie, because of Dolby HDR and what not.
I'd need a datacenter worth of storage just to watch John Wick 4

1080p looks fine on a 4k tv and your ps3 will play regular blurays all you like. If it's the right PS3 (PS3 fats with 4 usb ports on the front NOT ANY OTHERS) are ps2 compatible in hardware and all are easily hacked to back up your games and play them off of HDDs and network shares instead of wearing out your bluray drive.

1080p looks fine on a 4k tv and your ps3 will play regular blurays all you like. If it's the right PS3 (PS3 fats with 4 usb ports on the front NOT ANY OTHERS) are ps2 compatible in hardware and all are easily hacked to back up your games and play them off of HDDs and network shares instead of wearing out your bluray drive.
I run a plex server for the heavy lifting. PS3 is in a box covered in dirt in my garage next to my Kubota Tractor lol ... it might have hydraulic oil and mud on it too haha But I am sure it still works.

I run a plex server for the heavy lifting. PS3 is in a box covered in dirt in my garage next to my Kubota Tractor lol ... it might have hydraulic oil and mud on it too haha But I am sure it still works.
If it's a PS3 as I described I'd be happy to buy it from you if it works. I love them, as having one means you can play psx-3 games on it and 4-5 games on a ps5.

All other arguments/comments aside, where I live, they are almost always referred to as "BustBuy" and for good reason IMHO...

The last time I went into 1 of their stores, which was about 1.5 years ago, was ONLY because I needed a 50ft. Cat6 cable at work AND they were on the way....

As soon as I entered (around 10:30 am), I felt like I had walked into a house of horrors halloween place.... the place was filthy, disorganized, and very little stock of small items in every dept. BUT, within 3 seconds of getting to the area where the ethernet cables should have been, I was surrounded by the only 3 tweener-bot kiddies in the whole store (at least the only ones I could see anyways). The only cables I found in the entire 8 foot of shelves were a couple of 5ft, 12ft and ONE bulk box of 250ft ,and 2 elcheapo crimper tools....

Against my better judgement, I asked one of them about the 50 ft cables, he replied that they were way over on the other side of the store, just past the cell phone & vacuum cleaner section (WTF ?)....but then he added the obligatory statement about "but if there isn't any there, I can order a case of them for you for delivery in 3-5 days"

I was so pissed off, I got right up in his face and said "look shithead, if I could wait 3-5 days, I would have just ordered ONE (not a friggin case of 12) from Amazon or Wallyworld, and would have it tomorrow....so just BMA....

Why not buy a player? If you can afford a 85" QLED surely you can buy a 4k Blu Ray unit?

Back