Best Buy Mitsubishi DLP 1080p 60Hz 3D HDTV for $499.99

Having seen this screen in person, there is no way I would buy it. Picture quality is not nearly as good as a Plasma or a LCD.

Would much rather have a 50" 720p plasma for the same price.

Good for a gaming screen since theres no chance of burn in.. other then that buy a PLASMA!

I have a 60" Samsung DLP currently in the living room and a Panasonic Plasma in my "Man cave" and a LCD in the bed room. I've had DLPs for the past 9 years and would love to toss it! Wife wont let us buy a new plasma for the living room.

Eventually i'll get one and when that happends this DLP will end up in the basement for the kids to play there consoles on.

Last edited:
Good for a gaming screen since theres no chance of burn in.. other then that buy a PLASMA!

I have a 60" Samsung DLP currently in the living room and a Toshiba Plasma in my "Man cave" and a LCD in the bed room. I've had DLPs for the past 9 years and would love to toss it! Wife wont let us buy a new plasma for the living room.

Eventually i'll get one and when that happends this DLP will end up in the basement for the kids to play there consoles on.

Opinions on LG or Samsung? I've had my eyes on a few of them

Like i said i got one in the man cave that i game on and theres burn in and that model isint supposed to have that prob but its there. Owned it for prob 2 years now.

Its a Panasonic 42" Plasma.

Yeah plasma burn-in hasn't been an issue last couple generations. If you can control the lighting in your room, plasma still offers the best PQ.

Anyways, for your disclosure, I just got a panasonic tcp55vt50 recently :p

Not interested in a DLP. Don't get me wrong I could go on all day about the merits of a DLP I had the lauded Hitachi F510 for 5+ years. My problem is this is similar to investing in an x58 I7. Really highend right this moment but its on its way out the door. Support will start going away soon. Features etc etc. That and my wife is desperate to wall mount our next TV.

I would actually suggest the extended warranty on this so when the bulb or processor eventually goes out, which it will, you can't argue that, instead of getting rid of it you can get Best Buy to return the purchase amount because they can't do anything with it. Then again its only $500 so its up to you if its worth it.

Tax and shipping comes to $607 for me. Not a bad deal, but a smaller plasma would be better to me.
Or get a projector and screen for the same price, and have a 100+ inch picture.

I get image retention on my PN59D550, but no burn in with hours of static image from gaming.

Having seen this screen in person, there is no way I would buy it. Picture quality is not nearly as good as a Plasma or a LCD.

Would much rather have a 50" 720p plasma for the same price.

Absolutely and utterly bullshit especially if you saw one in the store. Different strokes for different folks and all like needing a flat screen for mounting on the wall but to say the image quality is inferior is ridiculous. If you saw one at a friends house or owned one it was probably setup wrong.

Not interested in a DLP. Don't get me wrong I could go on all day about the merits of a DLP I had the lauded Hitachi F510 for 5+ years.

Hitachi F510 series are CRT not DLP. However they're both rear projection.

Out of stock in my area. Damn good deal.

No one will probably find them in stock locally. Best Buy usually doesn't carry DLP's in store.

That being said... This is a decent deal. It's a 2010 model, I can't remember if it needs the 3D adapter for 3D content or not. I know for certain the 2011 and newer models don't need the adapter. If you have a pair of 3D glasses and the emitter and use the nVidia 3D Vision USB emulator and possibly a EDID hack (the models with HDMI 1.4a inputs need the EDID hack) you can play games in 1080p @ 60hz 3D instead of nVidia's shitty 3DTV Play which limits you to 1080p @ 24hz or 720p @ 60hz 3D.

Last edited:
Its still pretty cheap for a 60 inch screen, which will probably do 3d not problem the niche of DLP has been size and value for many years now, nothing new here.

If you want screen size for the $$ it's the way to go. I own a 61 Samsung DLP and I still love it. Eventually going to get the 83 inch Mitsubishi 3D tv.

Absolutely and utterly bullshit especially if you saw one in the store. Different strokes for different folks and all like needing a flat screen for mounting on the wall but to say the image quality is inferior is ridiculous. If you saw one at a friends house or owned one it was probably setup wrong.

I seen this exact screen at best buy less than 2 weeks ago when I bought my new TV.

The picture quality is not as good as the LCDs and Plasmas not to mention the image is not bright enough. You would need to have it in a room with no windows.

DLP rear projection monitors are just not nearly as good as the competition, that's why nobody buys them.

I seen this exact screen at best buy less than 2 weeks ago when I bought my new TV.

The picture quality is not as good as the LCDs and Plasmas not to mention the image is not bright enough. You would need to have it in a room with no windows.

DLP rear projection monitors are just not nearly as good as the competition, that's why nobody buys them.

You can't compare TV's in the store setting. What you see at the store isn't what you see at home. The in room lighting greatly effects image quality. On a showroom floor any rear projection won't look nice in their brightly lit up area. Also it's known that "bright" TV's sell more so all the showroom floor TV's are setup for showroom demo's which exaggerate everything to look good there. DLP's aren't setup that way.

Regarding image quality, each technology has it's strengths and weaknesses. When it comes to a purely cinematic experience DLP is choice. Movie Theaters widely use DLP projectors. LCD projectors degrade over time in brightness and color, DLP ones do not.

The reason why DLP and other rear projection TV's (well when there were other RP tech...) don't sell well is because for the last decade everyone has been force fed that slim TV's that can be mounted on the wall are highly fashionable/stylish and are the "in" thing and your wife will like it too. The Flat panels that are good will cost you a fortune, that's why DLP's are great. A nice big screen with good image quality that won't cost a fortune.

You should check out AVSforum next time you shop for a TV.

Last edited:
Amen brother. I have a Mitsu 60" 2010 model and i agree 100%. I prefer the theater look on a television. LCD image are just too artifically bright. DLP and Plasma is what gives you that natural looking picture like you see in theaters. Once calibrated, a DLP set is spot on. To each his own, the masses can keep their artifically bright LCD. I will keep buying plasmas and DLP (as long as Mitsu continues making them)

You can't compare TV's in the store setting. What you see at the store isn't what you see at home. The in room lighting greatly effects image quality. On a showroom floor any rear projection won't look nice in their brightly lit up area. Also it's known that "bright" TV's sell more so all the showroom floor TV's are setup for showroom demo's which exaggerate everything to look good there. DLP's aren't setup that way.

Regarding image quality, each technology has it's strengths and weaknesses. When it comes to a purely cinematic experience DLP is choice. Movie Theaters widely use DLP projectors. LCD projectors degrade over time in brightness and color, DLP ones do not.

The reason why DLP and other rear projection TV's (well when there were other RP tech...) don't sell well is because for the last decade everyone has been force fed that slim TV's that can be mounted on the wall are highly fashionable/stylish and are the "in" thing and your wife will like it too. The Flat panels that are good will cost you a fortune, that's why DLP's are great. A nice big screen with good image quality that won't cost a fortune.

You should check out AVSforum next time you shop for a TV.

No one will probably find them in stock locally. Best Buy usually doesn't carry DLP's in store.

Even when I go to check out via the website the only option is delivery and it tells me out of stock as soon as I put my ZIP code in. So it would appear they're only trying to sell out their local stock and don't want to ship the product long distances.

Im not a huge fan of DLP either, but for $499 ... if i was in the market for a new set id give this a hard look.

Problem is, i dont really have a man cave and my wife likes a "bright and cheery" house so the artificially bright sets work better for us.

FWIW, my parents have a 6-7 year old 56" Samsung DLP. The picture is amazing, and when it recently started looking bad no matter the calibration, they spent $150 on a new, user-replaceable bulb and it looks good as new.
Can't do that with LCD/LED or plasma if something goes out, and I LOVE my 5 year old plasma.

If you have the space these are great. I have Mitsubishi DLP I got 3 years ago. As far as picture quality its pretty good.

Only thing thats bad about the picture is overscan and "rainbow effect". For some this isn't even an issue.

For $499 thats an excellent deal.

Love my 65" Mutsu DLP. Works great in my main living room with lots of light. It also has very good viewing angles. It looks better to me compared to my LCD Sharp Aquos (2nd) and my Panisonic LED.

If you use CamelEgg addin for Chrome, the price history shows that this TV has been as cheap as $599 in early December. (might have been a black friday/cyber monday deal). Otherwise, is regular $999.99. So, $499 is now the cheapest it's been in ~1yr.

If you have the space these are great. I have Mitsubishi DLP I got 3 years ago. As far as picture quality its pretty good.

Only thing thats bad about the picture is overscan and "rainbow effect". For some this isn't even an issue.

For $499 thats an excellent deal.

Is that still a problem? I remember when DLP was the in thing around 2000 it would give me the dreaded "rainbow headache" but I thought they fixed it by increasing the wheel speed or something like that.

Is that still a problem? I remember when DLP was the in thing around 2000 it would give me the dreaded "rainbow headache" but I thought they fixed it by increasing the wheel speed or something like that.

I believe thats a thing of the past.

I believe the only thing to worry about now is wheel squeel and replacing the wheel after a year or 2 and buying $200 light balbs for it every 2 years or so.

I believe thats a thing of the past.

I believe the only thing to worry about now is wheel squeel and replacing the wheel after a year or 2 and buying $200 light balbs for it every 2 years or so.

The bulbs last a lot longer. ~4 years or so. Sometimes longer depending on use, of course.

The bulbs last a lot longer. ~4 years or so. Sometimes longer depending on use, of course.

I've gone through 1 a year basicly.. untill buying a new balb for the first time from bestbuy.. I have an idea now that i was getting used balbs through a tv repair shop since they didnt want me to take the box that it came in and wanted the old balb prob so they could send back to samsung for a free replacement or something.

The last balb has lasted prob 2 years+ now but the pic isint that bright anymore so its prob near the end of its life.

I've gone through 1 a year basicly.. untill buying a new balb for the first time from bestbuy.. I have an idea now that i was getting used balbs through a tv repair shop since they didnt want me to take the box that it came in and wanted the old balb prob so they could send back to samsung for a free replacement or something.

The last balb has lasted prob 2 years+ now but the pic isint that bright anymore so its prob near the end of its life.

That's surprising... what brand TV?

I'm actually done with LCD. Never owned a Plasma. Won't speak out against LED as I think it has a pretty amazing picture, even on some of the cheaper sets.

However, I'm about to move to a projector with a 100" ~ 120" projector screen.

There are two new highly rated models out there, one around $700 and another at $1300 that are just amazing. Maybe I will have more to report later.

And to think I paid $1500 + tax 5 years ago for the 57" version. :eek: But it's still working and on the original bulb (knock on wood!). :)

Where was this deal in February when I was actually looking for a 60"+ DLP??? Ended up with a 50" plasma that I've been very happy with. If I didn't need new tires on my truck I'd be all over this.

You have had some bad luck with bulbs. I have a 42" Samsung DLP that is on the original bulb with almost 7 years of use on it.

:rolleyes:

Do some research other than Bestbuy setups next time.

Personally, I'd take the opinions of those well versed and knowledgeable such as those on these forums over whatever a big box store tries to fill me with every time I walk in.

And dropping the R bomb? Really?

Personally I would rather take the opinion of my eyeballs than some "well versed and knowledgeable" scrubs on the internet and completely ignore the big box store employees.

And since you wanted me to take the opinion of "well versed and knowledgeable" people on the internet, a quick google search revealed that the overwhelming majority of people would rather have a Plasma than a rear projection: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1241836/new-2010-dlp-vs-plasma

Cons of rear projection:
Bulb life
DLP Engine life (color wheel motor and other mechanical parts are prone to failure)
Color saturation and accuracy not as good
Very bad viewing angles (anything over 20-30 degrees results in huge loss of image quality with angles over 40 degrees resulting in a basically complete loss of image.)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dlp+vs+plasma

Last edited:
Personally I would rather take the opinion of my eyeballs than some "well versed and knowledgeable" scrubs on the internet and completely ignore the big box store employees.

And since you wanted me to take the opinion of "well versed and knowledgeable" people on the internet, a quick google search revealed that the overwhelming majority of people would rather have a Plasma than a rear projection: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1241836/new-2010-dlp-vs-plasma

Cons of rear projection:
Bulb life
DLP Engine life (color wheel motor and other mechanical parts are prone to failure)
Very bad viewing angles (anything over 20-30 degrees results in huge loss of image quality with angles over 40 degrees resulting in a basically complete loss of image.)

I have to agree on viewing angles. if you are head on, it's a great picture. But you will not get a very good image from the side.

If I had my upstairs bonus room finished, I would consider a DLP especially for the price/size ratio. I wanted to do a projector but the room is too small to be able to use for anything else if I did that.

Although more than likely by the time I do get around to finishing it and furnishing it, 60"+ LCD/Plasma will have come down in price enough to make that happen instead.

Cons of rear projection:
Bulb life

I've owned DLP, LED and Plasma. I have to agree with all of the above. The only real pro DLP has going for it is price and size.

Negative, DLP has many benefits, the color reporduction is superior to LCD and it doesn't have blurring issues from pixel refresh rate like LCD does. LED TV's are still just LCD's with an LED backlight, so don't mistake it for an actual LED TV. Plasma truly is the best picture you can buy today but higher price and misinformation about burn-in tends to turn people off. LCD is easily the worst of the available technologies but people buy them anyway because they're cheap and lightweight and can be used in tight spaces. Picture quality leaves a LOT to be desired though for true videophiles.

Back