Best Buy Explains Its Leaked Apple HDTV Survey

Apple's had success taking fringe or moderately successful products and Apple saucing them (white, sleek, and simplified or dumbed down depending on your camp). I don't get the feeling a 42" TV is in the same vein. Everyone already has a flat panel and most Apple buyers probably have something bigger than 42".

Another joke of a post. Apple is not innovative, they are a branding company with overpriced, same quality goods. The iClone especially floors me since we had pda devices and pda phones many years prior, yet people hail it as some amazing invention. Same deal with other devices... imac for example, I had a Monorail Pc in 1998 I think it was that had the same setup essentially with the specifications of that time period.

In a world of halfassed music players and online services, we get the iPod and iTunes with .99 tunes, while Sony etc. we're asking up to 2.99 per song.

A glut of halfassed smartphones; a few good models, some popular but mostly a mishmash ... Voila! iPhone

A world of failed tablets... You get the point.

Apple products are amazing from the standpoint of public acceptance. Are they necessarily the best product? No, but they're not the overpriced pieces of shit people around here claim they are. I don't even like apple products (as typed from an iPad lol) but the FUD and hate spewed towards them from elitists here is--I am not sure what derogatory term fits best but it is childish and foolish to be sure, with a heaping of jealousy thrown in. Pretty pathetic.

In a world of halfassed music players and online services, we get the iPod and iTunes with .99 tunes, while Sony etc. we're asking up to 2.99 per song.

A glut of halfassed smartphones; a few good models, some popular but mostly a mishmash ... Voila! iPhone

A world of failed tablets... You get the point.

Apple products are amazing from the standpoint of public acceptance. Are they necessarily the best product? No, but they're not the overpriced pieces of shit people around here claim they are. I don't even like apple products (as typed from an iPad lol) but the FUD and hate spewed towards them from elitists here is--I am not sure what derogatory term fits best but it is childish and foolish to be sure, with a heaping of jealousy thrown in. Pretty pathetic.

Oh, I don't hold anything against apple. They're good at marketing. What does annoy me is the almost religious devotion people have for their at best, equivalent, overpriced products with a gigantic price tag comparatively who yell about how anything but apple is crap. Trust me, there's no jealousy from anyone seeing people overpaying for stuff! I laugh at it like I do when I see someone with designer shoes.

Oh, I don't hold anything against apple. They're good at marketing. What does annoy me is the almost religious devotion people have for their at best, equivalent, overpriced products with a gigantic price tag comparatively who yell about how anything but apple is crap. Trust me, there's no jealousy from anyone seeing people overpaying for stuff! I laugh at it like I do when I see someone with designer shoes.

Oh, and ss car as the point on them popularizing anything, I would argue that is tech coming further industry wide, not anything but time and marketing. Apple has not innovated, they are marketers, plain and simple.

I envy apple.

they can market a turd, and the whole world will camp out at its doorsteps to buy it.

I wish I had that kind of power..... to sell my turd, that is. Everyday, I shit away massive lincoln logs for no money.

I envy apple.

they can market a turd, and the whole world will camp out at its doorsteps to buy it.

I wish I had that kind of power..... to sell my turd, that is. Everyday, I shit away massive lincoln logs for no money.

It's been a long time since they sold a "turd."

The only people really in the market for HDTVs these days are (1) replacements and (2) people who were too cheap to buy until right now.

You're exactly correct. That's why lately prices have dipped so low for HDTV's. There really isn't that much new that will make people buy new TV's.

Until OLEDs come out at an affordable competitive price, we won't see people flooding the stores to buy a new TV.

I guess I don't see that; the few people I know that own Macs like them and that's about it. All I see is Apple hate here on [H], which I'm sure is as annoying as the Apple zealots are. Maybe if I started going to Starbucks I would see those Apple fanatics, hanging out with their MBA and their trendy, hippy haircuts. :D

As far as a $1499 Apple TV goes, it depends on what it really does. If it's a computer-in-a-TV I could easily see how people could justify the purchase, especially if they already have some other iDevice that could work with it. If it's a $1500 TV with Netfix and a few other odds and ends that you can get in a cheap receiver, then no.

As far as a $1499 Apple TV goes, it depends on what it really does. If it's a computer-in-a-TV I could easily see how people could justify the purchase, especially if they already have some other iDevice that could work with it. If it's a $1500 TV with Netfix and a few other odds and ends that you can get in a cheap receiver, then no.

I could see that being the case. If you already own an iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch and it integrates it "MIGHT" be worth it from a convenience standpoint. BUT, for less money you could buy a 46" top end TV and an Xbox360 to do all of that and more, probably, for less money. XboxLive has stepped it up with their app integration and offerings to make most other products pretty lame by comparison.

I could see that being the case. If you already own an iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch and it integrates it "MIGHT" be worth it from a convenience standpoint. BUT, for less money you could buy a 46" top end TV and an Xbox360 to do all of that and more, probably, for less money. XboxLive has stepped it up with their app integration and offerings to make most other products pretty lame by comparison.

As I get older and busier with life and family, I have less time to implement custom solutions and am more willing to pay for products do what I want them to do out of the box. Sure, I could built a HTPC for less money and cobble something together, buy a remote, edit the XBMC xml files so that my key mappings are all correct, etc, but all of that takes time i'm increasingly less interested in investing. Until my kids are old enough to do this crap themselves, i'll just stick to buying out-of-the-box solutions.... this is why I like my Sony GoogleTV so much- it does 99% of what I could do with XBMC and consumes much less time configuring/trouble shotting/etc. $1500 for an elegant out-of-the-box solution? If it does what I want and looks good while doing it, sounds good to me. As for the XBox360- it's a game console first, and everything else second- since i'm 100% interested in that "everything else" I'll purchase products that have that as their first priority, not their second.

As I get older and busier with life and family, I have less time to implement custom solutions and am more willing to pay for products do what I want them to do out of the box. Sure, I could built a HTPC for less money and cobble something together, buy a remote, edit the XBMC xml files so that my key mappings are all correct, etc, but all of that takes time i'm increasingly less interested in investing. Until my kids are old enough to do this crap themselves, i'll just stick to buying out-of-the-box solutions.... this is why I like my Sony GoogleTV so much- it does 99% of what I could do with XBMC and consumes much less time configuring/trouble shotting/etc. $1500 for an elegant out-of-the-box solution? If it does what I want and looks good while doing it, sounds good to me. As for the XBox360- it's a game console first, and everything else second- since i'm 100% interested in that "everything else" I'll purchase products that have that as their first priority, not their second.

I assume you haven't used an Xbox360 recently. I barely play games on it and it serves as my media center first. And it does it extremely well. No tricky setups. No complicated anything. My wife, who is technologically illiterate, can use it with no problem. You can get one for $200 and it does more than any standalone streaming box or Google enabled TV can do.

Any update?

Worked fine. Downloaded the app to my phone, connected to his wireless, controlled his TV and BD player. Can use my phones keyboard for the web app on the TV, which was nice.

He's now going to buy a Samsung phone just for this after seeing how well it worked.

Worked fine. Downloaded the app to my phone, connected to his wireless, controlled his TV and BD player. Can use my phones keyboard for the web app on the TV, which was nice.

He's now going to buy a Samsung phone just for this after seeing how well it worked.

Seems like Apple knows how to bring not-so-new technologies to the masses, and then also alert them that they're there.

I am hoping the fabled Apple TV becomes a reality. I enjoy my Apple TV 2 set top box, but would love to have an all-in-one unit with a great panel. I would also imagine the device would be super thin (apple can certainly deliver on the aesthetics).

Only hope is they don't make it white.

I assume you haven't used an Xbox360 recently. I barely play games on it and it serves as my media center first. And it does it extremely well. No tricky setups. No complicated anything. My wife, who is technologically illiterate, can use it with no problem. You can get one for $200 and it does more than any standalone streaming box or Google enabled TV can do.

That's what I get for ignoring consoles for years--interesting stuff. I imagine my Wii can do some of this (Netflix?) but it's busy collecting dust downstairs. ;)

What I'd *really* like is a PC/Gaming System/TV/DVR that can stream content to the other televisions in the house. I'm a noob with HTPC and from what I've read it can be complicated and a real PITA to get working. Any company that can do that has my money.

...Apple brand indicates a good quality LCD panel,

exactly.

this will probably outsell sony, samsung, and lg combined.

that's how fuckin nuts people are

...they pack some pretty impressive screens. If, for $1500, you get a better screen than anything else currently available.

..Assume a high-quality display because Apple never half-asses those.

..I enjoy my Apple TV 2 set top box, but would love to have an all-in-one unit with a great panel. .

Well

great panels come from

A Tier Panels
Samsung
LG

All other panels

CMI
Wistron
AUO
Shoshico
Hising
Funai

Look at it from the Apple marketing point of view, it's a 42" wall mountable iMac. So the $1500 for a 42" display is a bargain compared to the 21.5" iMac starting at $1199. Maybe they'll call it the Big iMac and sue McDonalds.

$1500 seems like a decent deal- i'm assuming of course that the Apple brand indicates a good quality LCD panel, sturdy construction, etc as it usually does for their desktop equipment. Also, say what you will about Apple, but they usually do a pretty decent job in terms of UI, so i'm sure "most" people could figure out the whole "computer in the TV" concept if done in typical Apple style. We currently use a (Sony) GoogleTV setup, and although honeycomb is a huge improvement, there are still some areas that could be improved upon- lack of UI consistency between apps for example would most likely cause my parents a large amount of grief.

If it's on par with a a $700 set with an Apple logo slapped onto it, then no way.

Actually, Apple has a history of using the cheapest shittiest hardware possible for all their products. Their devices have proven time and again to be less reliable than competing brands in the same price-range.

As for decent job of UI, that's simply because they don't give you as many choices, so it's much less complicated. So if you are technically challenged, then Apple's great. But if you follow current technologies, then you'll find their UI severely restrictive.

Actually, Apple has a history of using the cheapest shittiest hardware possible for all their products. Their devices have proven time and again to be less reliable than competing brands in the same price-range.

As for decent job of UI, that's simply because they don't give you as many choices, so it's much less complicated. So if you are technically challenged, then Apple's great. But if you follow current technologies, then you'll find their UI severely restrictive.

You're kidding, right? Perhaps 15 years ago you would have been right, but i'm not sure how you can make this statement today- how is solid aluminium a cheap component? The Mac Pros I got for my department with their solid aluminium construction were top notch- yeah, we ran windows on them, but the hardware was great. In fact, just the other day CNet ran a story that pretty much concluded that the best PC you can buy is a Mac.... I also read a story this morning about the Metro, and look at Bill Flora's desk-

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/is-windows-8-metro-failing-even-at-microsoft/10311

Yeah- Apple laptop and monitor...

How about folks at Google? Most seem to have also picked Apple laptops.

So- if the hardware really was as crappy as you make it out to seem, the traction simply wouldn't be there, especially at seemingly 'rival' companies such as MS.

Also- if you "follow current technologies, then you'll find their UI severely restrictive"- are you talking iOS here or OSX? In OSX the command line is a click away, and even microsoft would agree that the old school CLUI is the future for "power users"- look at Windows 8 Server. Seriously- I don't personally own or use any Apple products anymore (my wife does have an iPhone), but your comments seem contrary to what I see and what I read. So, if you care to put up some facts that refute any of any of what i've just said, please do.

You're kidding, right? Perhaps 15 years ago you would have been right, but i'm not sure how you can make this statement today- how is solid aluminium a cheap component? The Mac Pros I got for my department with their solid aluminium construction were top notch- yeah, we ran windows on them, but the hardware was great. In fact, just the other day CNet ran a story that pretty much concluded that the best PC you can buy is a Mac.... I also read a story this morning about the Metro, and look at Bill Flora's desk-

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/is-windows-8-metro-failing-even-at-microsoft/10311

Yeah- Apple laptop and monitor...

How about folks at Google? Most seem to have also picked Apple laptops.

So- if the hardware really was as crappy as you make it out to seem, the traction simply wouldn't be there, especially at seemingly 'rival' companies such as MS.

Also- if you "follow current technologies, then you'll find their UI severely restrictive"- are you talking iOS here or OSX? In OSX the command line is a click away, and even microsoft would agree that the old school CLUI is the future for "power users"- look at Windows 8 Server. Seriously- I don't personally own or use any Apple products anymore (my wife does have an iPhone), but your comments seem contrary to what I see and what I read. So, if you care to put up some facts that refute any of any of what i've just said, please do.
Expensive products are not necessarily using the highest binned components, these products are high margin for a reason. For the price of many of their laptops I would expect WD Black drives and IPS panels.

Expensive products are not necessarily using the highest binned components, these products are high margin for a reason. For the price of many of their laptops I would expect WD Black drives and IPS panels.

You're constructing a false dichotomy even if it's implied- Apple might not have the *best* compoents available on the component market, but the ones they do use are often beter than those offered by the competion, certainly better than those used by the lower-tier PC makers- to top it all off, if you do happen to have a problem with your computer, phone, etc, warrenty service is available at your local mall... Dell, Samsung, or any other computer manufaturer for that matter can't say the same. We were on vacation last summer and I dropped my wife's iPhone...my bad... the screen shattered. We took it to the Apple store in the mall next to our hotel and they gave us a brand new one stright up for free. That's customer servive to an extreme- they certainly did not have to do that, let alone for free.

You're constructing a false dichotomy even if it's implied- Apple might not have the *best* compoents available on the component market, but the ones they do use are often beter than those offered by the competion, certainly better than those used by the lower-tier PC makers- to top it all off, if you do happen to have a problem with your computer, phone, etc, warrenty service is available at your local mall... Dell, Samsung, or any other computer manufaturer for that matter can't say the same. We were on vacation last summer and I dropped my wife's iPhone...my bad... the screen shattered. We took it to the Apple store in the mall next to our hotel and they gave us a brand new one stright up for free. That's customer servive to an extreme- they certainly did not have to do that, let alone for free.

You will not get anything more than a hard drive or ram swap out at the apple store on a laptop, anything else will be sent to some central repair facility as I doubt their "Apple Genius" is able to replace the motherboard on-site.

People who buy Apple products tend to have more money than common sense. They probably would pay that much for a 42" TV the rest of us wouldn't pay any more than about $500 for.

That's a very bad generalization.

What people fail to realise as said above is that for a high quality panel on its own can cost 1500$ or more, add a apple TV and seem less well designed ui that you know will be included and it starts to become easilly "on the money" .

As for your generalization its really unfair for you to make that comment as there's plenty of people I know including myself know plenty about computers and have custom built computers and what I'd say a good ammount of knowledge on many things, but use Macs for there "daily driver" for one reason or another.

Anyway just saying you can't really make that assumption.

I do bet that Apple's implementation is far more elegant than Samsung's attempt. Probably have to root your phone before even starting to mess with it.

This. i have used Samsung's smart tv and it feels clunky you could bet that they would have some sort of ios like os/ui that would work seamlessly.

if it had a 2560x1600 rez, then hell yea!!!

i read somewhere that they were trying to work out a deal with some tv providers whether that means higher res broadcasts or just built in receivers i dont know but still get you wondering.

an AppleTV set-top box is $100
a 42" TV is $400

I have a problem with people comparing the prices of Macbook Pros and other Apple stuff to shitty Dell laptops.

I also have a problem with your comparison of a shitty 720p 42" LCD to what will probably be a nice 1080p LED set.

I don't always agree with Apple's prices but the anti Apple fanboys are just as ridiculous.

You can get 42inch Tv that are 1080p for 400 dollars easily nowadays and high quality.

I have a problem with people comparing the prices of Macbook Pros and other Apple stuff to shitty Dell laptops.

I also have a problem with your comparison of a shitty 720p 42" LCD to what will probably be a nice 1080p LED set.

I don't always agree with Apple's prices but the anti Apple fanboys are just as ridiculous.

You are also assuming this is a 42" 1080p LED TV. The TV will be at what ever it thinks its consumers needs. If its 720p you can be sure Cook will spin it as being the best TV ever and the apple consumers will believe so, and honestly at 42" 720p is fine, but not with this price hike.

This. i have used Samsung's smart tv and it feels clunky you could bet that they would have some sort of ios like os/ui that would work seamlessly.

I would love to know what is "clunky" about it. I use this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/2121582.p?id=1218310409154&skuId=2121582

there is nothing "clunky" about it and I wish to god it doesn't become as big of a shit as the iOS interface.

You can get 42inch Tv that are 1080p for 400 dollars easily nowadays and high quality.

Vizio is not high quality.

Don't believe everything Walmart tells you.

You are also assuming this is a 42" 1080p LED TV. The TV will be at what ever it thinks its consumers needs. If its 720p you can be sure Cook will spin it as being the best TV ever and the apple consumers will believe so, and honestly at 42" 720p is fine, but not with this price hike.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/2121582.p?id=1218310409154&skuId=2121582

there is nothing "clunky" about it and I wish to god it doesn't become as big of a shit as the iOS interface.

I have that exact unit. The interface is the most clunky thing I have ever had the displeasure of using. I hooked up my friends 55" LG set the other day -- now THAT had a pretty stellar user interface.

I have that exact unit. The interface is the most clunky thing I have ever had the displeasure of using. I hooked up my friends 55" LG set the other day -- now THAT had a pretty stellar user interface.

Hmmm... I mean I did have to use the manual a few times but Its hardly cumberson in any way. There are better ones but I think calling it "clunky" is a bit harsh.

OT: where did you find your unit? The only place that would ship this localy here in AZ was best buy and managed to get it for $1200 on a special.

Hmmm... I mean I did have to use the manual a few times but Its hardly cumberson in any way. There are better ones but I think calling it "clunky" is a bit harsh.

OT: where did you find your unit? The only place that would ship this localy here in AZ was best buy and managed to get it for $1200 on a special.

NJ -- $1000 out the door at a local BB after some coupons and rewards things. I just checked my local stores on the website -- they are all stocked.

I find the user interface to be very slow and unresponsive.

When you try out something like the LG it becomes VERY apparent.

Was kind of a let down.. I've owned many Samsung products (Galaxy S, Tab 10.1) and was very disappointed in the TV's interface.

I was a die hard apple hater for many years but after switching from a Lenovo Thinkpad to Macbook Air I can attest that the Mac is better constructed in every aspect; not to mention it is a vastly superior mobile user experience.

I was a die hard apple hater for many years but after switching from a Lenovo Thinkpad to Macbook Air I can attest that the Mac is better constructed in every aspect; not to mention it is a vastly superior mobile user experience.

+1

The trackpad on the Macbook Pros/Air is worth the price premium alone.

+1

The trackpad on the Macbook Pros/Air is worth the price premium alone.

I agree. The multitouch gestures make web browsing a wholly intuitive experience that is worlds better than even my beloved trackpoint.

Not to mention, it's pretty pathetic for the PC makers when the Macbook Air's couple mm thin screen has LES FLEX and RESISTS PRESSURE better than the .5in thick Thinkpad's screen. It literally takes me pressing on the back of the LCD as hard as I possibly can for the slightest hint of stress to become apprent in the LCD on the Air, whereas if I simply press my thumb into the LCD cover of my old T61 ad T410 the LCD would distort.

well i guess thats statement on my is personal preference but most people would side with ios being simpler/beter

You do realize you can get nice Samsung, LG, etc. units for $400 at the 42" size, and "store-brand" 55" models that DWARF a 42" while still being 85% of the quality for $450-500? Don't answer, I already knew you didn't. P.S. Brand name isn't everything, but keep overpaying for your "coach purse" I mean, "apple tv"!

A quick selection of recent deals that took five seconds to find:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1166311/ (currently 500, but was 320 for several days, Sharp 42")
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1166587/ (currently at 500 on bestbuy but was 450, LED edge-lit)
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1167057/ (local deal, high-quality plasma)
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1165999/ (85% quality of a top-end panel, but 55" for only 450 dollars)

Yeah, that's why this was my reaction to your post:
facepalmcollage.jpg

You do realize you can get nice Samsung, LG, etc. units for $400 at the 42" size, and "store-brand" 55" models that DWARF a 42" while still being 85% of the quality for $450-500? Don't answer, I already knew you didn't. P.S. Brand name isn't everything, but keep overpaying for your "coach purse" I mean, "apple tv"!

A quick selection of recent deals that took five seconds to find:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1166311/ (currently 500, but was 320 for several days, Sharp 42")
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1166587/ (currently at 500 on bestbuy but was 450, LED edge-lit)
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1167057/ (local deal, high-quality plasma)
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1165999/ (85% quality of a top-end panel, but 55" for only 450 dollars)

Yeah, that's why this was my reaction to your post:

You claim you can find Samsung and LG models -- 42" at $400 -- and link a bunch of bottom tier pieces of crap.

Yea, you sure showed me.

Oh, and one more thing, son: I am going to be having a 70" Sharp Aquos LED-LCD (full-array backlighting) shipped to me soon if I bite on it, for $1800. That dwarfs a silly little "42" apple tv" for 1500, in fact the comparison is LAUGHABLE how bad a ripoff a $1500 42" tv is, branding or not:

42inch16x9vs70inch16x9.png

That's, for a high-quality set, 66.67% larger diagonal and 177.78% larger area than a hypothetical 1500 dollar "apple tv" that is 42 inches.

Back