Best Buy Beta

Certainly. I would too. Problem is there are more memberships than graphics cards. Unless, they put us in a que like EVGA.
It might help my odds. I've been in queue for a 3060 Ti since launch day. I think I'm over a dozen "Sorry you weren't selected" e-mails from Newegg. I managed to get one into my cart at Best Buy, but the site crashed during checkout.

Where I live now, Best Buy is the only option for computer equipment and I purchase quite a bit for the office through there. Price matching Amazon while being able to get it the same day works for me. The nearest Costco is a couple hours away and the nearest MicroCenter is about six hours away.

It might help my odds. I've been in queue for a 3060 Ti since launch day. I think I'm over a dozen "Sorry you weren't selected" e-mails from Newegg. I managed to get one into my cart at Best Buy, but the site crashed during checkout.

Where I live now, Best Buy is the only option for computer equipment and I purchase quite a bit for the office through there. Price matching Amazon while being able to get it the same day works for me. The nearest Costco is a couple hours away and the nearest MicroCenter is about six hours away.
Dang, where do you live, the middle of Wyoming? Don't feel bad. I live 25 min away from a Microcenter & BB is a stones throw. The same result. Its a graphics card desert. I would gladly trade you locations :)

Sounds like me. In West Texas. Abilene to be specific. Only Best Buy about 5 miles away. MicroCenter in Dallas (230 miles), and every other store you can think of.

Sounds like me. In West Texas. Abilene to be specific. Only Best Buy about 5 miles away. MicroCenter in Dallas (230 miles), and every other store you can think of.
400 miles to micro center, each direction.

Had a ton of frys but they dead.

I wish they had one in Oregon.

Dang, where do you live, the middle of Wyoming? Don't feel bad. I live 25 min away from a Microcenter & BB is a stones throw. The same result. Its a graphics card desert. I would gladly trade you locations :)

He’s not alone. Nearest Microcenter to me is a 10 hour drive and 700 miles away. I really wish they were in Florida.

I have to admit I have bought more things this year from Best Buy then ever. However, this is mostly because I'm mad a New Egg, and I've started to not trust Amazon. I do hope they stay alive though.
I actually like Best Buy quite a lot. I don't make a LOT of purchases there, but their price-matching is really great and their reward system isn't bad either. There have been more than a few times where I saw a game online with a great price, and had Best Buy match is so I can pick it up early so I can play it through the weekend. Also bought our washing machine, and 43" TV for the bedroom there within the last year and have gotten some decent points racked up to spend on other things... like games. lol

He’s not alone. Nearest Microcenter to me is a 10 hour drive and 700 miles away. I really wish they were in Florida.
5 hour drive for me at around 350 miles give or take away.

Is it worth it to go to Microcenter if it would only cost $20 to $30 each way to get there ? Hmmm

Guess it depends on what I am looking for.

If it comes with 2-year AppleCare it is a no brainer for me. 2x iPhones and Macbook Pro, yeah. Before you say sheeple, I am a developer and Macbooks are awesome for developers. They really just work.

The pricing is too good to be true. I would buy this in a heartbeat and move all my purchasing to Best Buy. Just a few of my purchases in the last three months:

M1 Macbook - Applecare is $250
iWatch Series 6 - Applecare is $80
iPhone 12 Max Pro - Applecare is $199
Airpods Pro - Applecare is $29
2x Homepod - Applecare is $39 each
2x Homepod mini - Applecare is $15 each
LG OLED TV - I wall mounted it myself, but they would have done it for me which costs at least $200 usually.

Just with these, that would be over $800 of value. Not including the free shipping value, or other two year protection on stuff.
Why are you buying so much applecare is what I am wondering. Just self insure...and be careful.

Why are you buying so much applecare is what I am wondering. Just self insure...and be careful.
I didn't actually buy Applecare for everything, just my Macbook, iPhone, and Watch. I was illustrating the value that the BB service offered for a $199 price point.

I wouldn't buy Applecare on something like a homepod, but when you buy $3k laptops and $1500 phones, Applecare tends to be a win for me. I just had a 2018 Macbook Pro that I used the shit of have the battery start swelling a bit. Apple replaced the entire exterior case, battery, trackpad, and touchpad for me. I can probably sell this laptop used on ebay now as refurbished for about $1500, which is incredible. Applecare paid for itself easy.

I'm off the beaten path, it's true, but that was never an issue prior to the pandemic. For years I regularly received my orders within two days. Now? That never happens. I have a bunch of Prime items in my cart right now, and the earliest estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. My experience over the last year with Amazon has shown me that that estimate is optimistic if anything.

And again, all these are Prime items with a Prime membership stated as being shipped by Amazon. What I usually do now is window shop on Amazon and add stuff to my cart. Then I go and see if I can find those same items at other places where I know I will receive them quickly. Whatever is left that I cannot find elsewhere I'll go ahead and purchase through Amazon.

For some odd reason everything now on Amazon, we are a Prime member, have delivery estimate of the soonest as Saturday delivery most stuff Sunday. Weird. They must be backed up or changing things.

I guess the only sure way to get quick shipping is pay for it. Oh well. That or have it delivered from a local store for same day shipping, I guess kinda, or delivery.

Oh wow it seems like all online stores shipping are like this mostly right now here.

Another sign that Best Buy is getting closer to kicking the bucket.

Not even remotely close. Totally disagree here. I buy shit load at best buy and they have pretty damn good sales at times + their return policy is just plain epic. They don't even haggle, 45 days for me + I have gotten shit load of rewards.

Me out of the equation. They are hands down profitable. I am sure lot of people feel like me. Hands down the best company I have dealt with, price match, returns, cash back. Just out right customer service they win alone. Try price matching at amazon, they are dicks lol.

They are far from kicking the bucket lol

I didn't actually buy Applecare for everything, just my Macbook, iPhone, and Watch. I was illustrating the value that the BB service offered for a $199 price point.

I wouldn't buy Applecare on something like a homepod, but when you buy $3k laptops and $1500 phones, Applecare tends to be a win for me. I just had a 2018 Macbook Pro that I used the shit of have the battery start swelling a bit. Apple replaced the entire exterior case, battery, trackpad, and touchpad for me. I can probably sell this laptop used on ebay now as refurbished for about $1500, which is incredible. Applecare paid for itself easy.

This! You don't have to buy it for everything but its a no brainer not to get this and have the peace of mind.

They shipped me a defective open box monitor when I bought a new one, and then gave me grief when I tried return it.
I’ve cancelled my districts New Egg account and halted payments to them over that shit. Visa sided with us and if they want their defective used merchandise back it’s sitting on a pallet on the loading dock and it’s on them to arrange return shipping. Half the boxes didn’t even have the correct stuff on the inside, bring in a 32” curved monitor, 27” LG 720p from like 2010 inside the box instead.

Too bad I just bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max and some other things because like someone mentioned, AppleCare alone might pay for the subscription. I do hope Best Buy survives and thrives because I’m getting a little tired of Amazon as well. I have been surprised by some of what they do stock lately.

Regarding Newegg, I used to spend thousands every year with them but in the past 5 or 6 years, I might average one or two purchases per year. Their customer service isn’t what it used to be and when they closed Will Call at their Indianapolis warehouse, I pretty much stopped buying from them. Their Will Call was actually causing me to shift back to them but they killed in a short timeframe and I have no idea why.

Another sign that Best Buy is getting closer to kicking the bucket.
Their EPS is up significantly over the last 3 years. EBIDTA also consistently rises. I have no crystal ball, but they seem to be doing pretty well.

Their EPS is up significantly over the last 3 years. EBIDTA also consistently rises. I have no crystal ball, but they seem to be doing pretty well.
The new CEO is in the process of gutting the company. She took over a very profitable company and is killing it to make short-term profits. I don't expect BB to exist in 10 years.

No more full time employees.
Want hours? Sell BB warranties.
Getting rid of anything that doesn't make a certain profit margin - AKA, anything not appliances and cell phones. (Yes, this means computer components, games, and movies will be leaving soon.)

Anyone who works for Best Buy right now will tell you to avoid investing in them.

The new CEO is in the process of gutting the company. She took over a very profitable company and is killing it to make short-term profits. I don't expect BB to exist in 10 years.

Getting rid of anything that doesn't make a certain profit margin - AKA, anything not appliances and cell phones. (Yes, this means computer components, games, and movies will be leaving soon.)

Anyone who works for Best Buy right now will tell you to avoid investing in them.

I think what you are saying has more to do with adjusting to the pandemic not anything in general. Ofcourse they would have to short hours because less people are going to store to make purchases and shifted more towards online. movies I understand. I don't remember the last time I bought a movie. As far as games it might be they have data that majority are just buying downloadable games not physical but I doubt they will stop that totally anytime soon though. May be long term. I can bet a 100 bestbuy will be here in 10 years. Lets do that lol.

I can bet a 100 bestbuy will be here in 10 years. Lets do that lol.
Okay, that's a bad bet on my part. Lemme rephrase.

"Best Buy as you know it won't exist in 10 years."

You'll still be able to walk into Best Buy and purchase a TV, washing machine, or a cell phone case. You WON'T be able to get GTA6, a new GPU, a copy of Fast and the Furious 10, Now That's What I Call Music Volume 96, a GoPro Hero 15, 6x9s for your car, a smart scale, a dash cam, a smart watch, a tablet, or a FunkoPop doohickey. The employees will be bottom-of-the-barrel nose pickers instead of the actually helpful folk they've had for the last year or two. The salesmen will hawk their warranties and plans like crazy, leading to you leaving with the same feeling that a used car dealer gives you.

It's not a future I want. I REALLY want you to be right. But I just don't see it happening.

Haven't been in BB for years so the membership isn't worth it, I'm surprised people buy that much there to justify having one. I am curious what changed, last things I bought there was a Sansa Clip+ and the Apple Charger that had the rebranded Enolope batteries. Wonder if they still sell anime and CDs?

Just found out a few weeks ago my Brandon Sears was closing and the Walmart was in the middle of remodeling, switching to mostly self checkout.

I love when people insist on sharing their thoughts in spite of having absolutely zero clue what they're talking about.

BBY's last 5 years have been the most profitable period in the 50 year history of the company. And last year was a record.

View attachment 346057
Right - all of their electronic B&M competitors are dead or dying, so that helps.

I have been to one recently over the last few months and thought they have done a pretty good job evolving. Lots of customers.

Elitest master race PC snobs, like myself, have always looked down on Worst Buy (there was one a few stores over from CompScrewUSA where I worked), but they have the core, overpriced consumer electronics, headphones, smartphones and memory that people buy regularly to keep the cash flow going, plus the high ticket items like TVs, laptops and appliances that they net larger profit on. They are also one of the few places you can still buy a Blu-Ray or CD, if you are so inclined, plus they have reduced the size of that section to keep up with the times. Lastly, they generally have some of the latest modern gizmos that people come in to checkout - even if they don't buy they will buy something else. I bought a smart thermostat that was really no different in price from anywhere online and I needed ASAP.

The geeks are tech savvy enough to shop online or at a MicroCenter.

Last edited:
Honestly, Best Buy is not that bad. I went there most recently to buy my Pixel 5 phone (I originally ordered from Google online, but I had a problem and didn't want to wait for replacement).

They have a lot of cool stuff on the floor, I tried that Microsoft dual screen phone, looked at some TVs, just browsed the PC section but they didn't have much. I mean, there are not many (or any) places where you can just go test things anymore.

Also, I wouldn't trust ordering something like a 65" TV or a refrigerator on Amazon.

Also, I wouldn't trust ordering something like a 65" TV or a refrigerator on Amazon.
Costco. No one beats them in all around shopping experience for the two things you just mentioned. Just ordered a washer/dryer combo from them and it was by far the best deal and it included warranty and delivery with install. Including Dryer cord and washer hoses. Many claim the yearly membership is a rip off, if you use them, its pays itself off easily with the rewards and savings. Plus they treat their workers very well.

I haven't stepped foot in a Best Buy in 3 years with the intention of buying anything. Workers have become militant versus helpful.

Some nice features, not so nice price IMHO....

I very rarely go to BustBuy, mainly because they hardly ever have anything I want/need, and this overpriced attempt at money grubbin won't change that anytime soon :)

Case in point:

A few months ago I needed 4 new 50ft. ethernet cables (due to remodeling the house + upgrading from Cat5 to Cat7) and I was near one of their stores, so I went in to grab them, hoping to save one more stop on the way home...

They had a grand total of 1 (as in O.N.E.) single cable in stock, in a 7ft length.. and only in a fuggly, crak-baby purple-ish grey-ish pink no less....

Guess where I found my cables: Across the street at the Home friggin Depot of all places, they had 25 moar packages in various colors on their shelf than BustBuy did...and I got the 50ft ones for just a few $$ moar than BB wanted for a 7ft one....

whodathunkit :woot::wtf::facepalm:

Yeah I buy all my eth cables at home depot also. They have all sorts of sizes and they are priced really well.

Haven't been in BB for years so the membership isn't worth it, I'm surprised people buy that much there to justify having one. I am curious what changed, last things I bought there was a Sansa Clip+ and the Apple Charger that had the rebranded Enolope batteries. Wonder if they still sell anime and CDs?

Just found out a few weeks ago my Brandon Sears was closing and the Walmart was in the middle of remodeling, switching to mostly self checkout.
BB hasn't sold CD's (other than ones they're still trying to get rid of), in years. I will say in the past month or 2, it looks like they've removed 2/3 of their video sections. I've been to a pair near me and they each have one shelf (2 sides) of movies/TV shows. 2 months ago they had 3. That said, id on't think they're going to quit carrying movies (they do not carry CD's online AFAICT), they're just not going to keep most in stores. Essentially, we'll likely have to order most titles and pick them up (or have them delivered).

I think that's a mistake, as it opens them up to people just going to Amazon. Probably the only thing I think they'll be able to consistently sell are exclusive best buy versions (steelbooks and other titles in exclusive special packaging). Seems odd, since 4K is selling better than the industry expected and both Blu Ray and 4K look better than streaming, though allegedly Disney + is closer than most. HBO is much worse than disk.

"CEO Corie Barry says she will make investing in Best Buy’s 123,000 employees one of her top priorities."

yeah right ;)

"Corie Barry To Lose Job As Best Buy's CEO For Workplace Affair; What Does Her Husband Have To Say? "

Looks like she invested in 1 employee!

"CEO Corie Barry says she will make investing in Best Buy’s 123,000 employees one of her top priorities."

yeah right ;)

"Corie Barry To Lose Job As Best Buy's CEO For Workplace Affair; What Does Her Husband Have To Say? "

Looks like she invested in 1 employee!

Or more accurately she let one employee invest into her?

On subject though If this gave same day delivery to my house for all the store pickup shit I buy from there I would pay it. Even better if the concierge was able to put my name on a GPU before they drop.

I have never liked best buy. I occasionally buy there maybe once every couple of years if they have a sale on something I wanted anyway. I think the company usually makes poor decisions and naming a program that is clearly a "costco" like move "Beta" shows just more poor decisions. "beta", is the second of the greek letters, it, amongst industrialists, technologists, etc usually means, a product that isn't fully baked, still needs testing, etc. That is horrible marketing. I know it's "ear catching" to have things that use the same first letter but this is bad.

Anything would have been better. Best Buy Bravo has three B's and already sounds better. As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy is the next retail giant just gone.

I never had Apple Care and they just replaced a fan and battery for me for free on my 2017 MacBook Pro. I wish other companies were this nice.

Best Buy’s extended warranties have always been great for me. My 55” TV crapped out after 3 years and they gave me a gift card for the original price of the TV because it was no longer available. Upgraded to a 65”. They also replaced a PS4 Pro. They don’t give me any crap about replacing anything under the extended warranty.

Did anyone get Best Buy Total Tech or whatever it is called now ?

Is it worth it ?

The only thing that would be better is if Best Buy online let you decide on UPS, unless they already do, always ship with.

Kinda like BH Photo & Video use to do :(

Now they use stupid Fedex

Did anyone get Best Buy Total Tech or whatever it is called now ?

Is it worth it ?

The only thing that would be better is if Best Buy online let you decide on UPS, unless they already do, always ship with.

Kinda like BH Photo & Video use to do :(

Now they use stupid Fedex
I have Total Tech. It's worth it if you use the features that you get discounts for (or for free) or if you buy merchandise that is marked down for Total Tech members. Also the 60-day returns are helpful and two years of tech support with a dedicated line. It's not really worth it if you only shop there once in a blue moon and don't find $200 of savings that are not ordinarily available to the regular customers.

I got Total Tech last summer and saved several hundred dollars on having them install a new head unit and component speakers in my car. All of the work was free after I got Total Tech. I also bought a 65" TV about a month ago that they mounted and set up for free, normally at least a $200 service. You have to utilize the benefits you get, but if you do, the savings can be huge.

I know a lot of people give Best Buy heat but for me they've always been great. Never had an issue returning or exchanging something that wasn't to my liking or was messed up, and all the services I've had them do for me have come out really well.

Back