Best accurate VR experience

bramabul5353

Weaksauce
I have the HTC Vive and the CV1 Rift for a couple moths now. I have played almost every title on both that has been highlighted by gaming press. Just letting anyone here who wants to try some incredible stuff. Project Cars on the Rift with a Logitech race wheel is so immersive that literally I cannot ever go back to playing racing games on a monitor again. Running on a 980ti OC it is butter smooth on presets and scary realistic at immersion. Another game that does immersion extremely well Is the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. This game looks gorgeous in VR and really gives you an out of body style experience. Only thing about Ethan Carter is Using it with the Controller sometimes makes you get a little nauseated after an hour or so of playtime. Project Cars feels so natural and realistic in every sense of the word.

that is all.

I feel the same way about Elite: Dangerous. I'm sure hardcore competitive players would argue the merits of a conventional display (higher resolution, higher detail settings etc) but as a gaming experience I have no interest in going back. The sensation of being inside the world is just too much fun. It's not a perfect game by any means, but the immersion with a HMD is fantastic.

I feel the same way about Elite: Dangerous. I'm sure hardcore competitive players would argue the merits of a conventional display (higher resolution, higher detail settings etc) but as a gaming experience I have no interest in going back. The sensation of being inside the world is just too much fun. It's not a perfect game by any means, but the immersion with a HMD is fantastic.

That immersion factor is just killer good. After using it in these types of cockpit style games, going back to a monitor is a bore fest for this particular style game. Its kinda like watching someone else play on a monitor vs actually experiencing the closest thing to real life.

I've got the Rift as well, and love Elite Dangerous... So freaking awesome, it's like I'm actually flying the space ship. Taking a break from it for now since that last update fiasco.

I literally just renewed my subscription to iRacing to get back to some track fun. They just updated and now officially support the CV1. Just finished downloading the software last night, and am looking forward to giving it a try tonight. I haven't tried Pcars though.

I'm surprised how well 3rd person camera games work. Chronos was a blast, and I'm going to get Edge of Nowhere. I'm really wishing for a Resident Evil remake in VR.. I swear I'll shit my pants.

I do intend to buy a 4K 40" + Monitor at some point in the next year as well. Some games are just better played on a Monitor (Dota 2, etc), or just occasionally need to take a break from VR.

I totally agree. Some games are better on a monitor like Doom or FPS works best on monitor. Honestly though if you have a good GPU and system grab project cars if you have a Race Wheel. I am going to try Elite Dangerous soon. Try Dreadhalls if you like survival horror it is a very simple yet SCARY game! It really lives up to the title. I would kill for RE remake in VR!

I haven't tried any racing games yet, but it's definitely on my list. Just need a better setup.

For anyone that owns a Vive, check out a new game that just released called Cosmic Trip! It completely blew my mind. It's early access at the moment and has a ways to go, but it's amazingly fun and so well done. Probably the first game I've played in VR where I don't think I'd want to go back to 2D. I can't say enough good things about it. If you like tower defense and RTS type of games, it's right up your alley

Cosmic Trip

I haven't tried any racing games yet, but it's definitely on my list. Just need a better setup.

For anyone that owns a Vive, check out a new game that just released called Cosmic Trip! It completely blew my mind. It's early access at the moment and has a ways to go, but it's amazingly fun and so well done. Probably the first game I've played in VR where I don't think I'd want to go back to 2D. I can't say enough good things about it. If you like tower defense and RTS type of games, it's right up your alley

Cosmic Trip

That looks awesome! I have a Vive and will give it a shot. I like ALTspace VR on the VIVE. it is a fun social game. Also Brookhaven experiment and Lightblade are unfinished games but very immersive.

I totally agree. Some games are better on a monitor like Doom or FPS works best on monitor. Honestly though if you have a good GPU and system grab project cars if you have a Race Wheel. I am going to try Elite Dangerous soon. Try Dreadhalls if you like survival horror it is a very simple yet SCARY game! It really lives up to the title. I would kill for RE remake in VR!

Ya, I've been staying away from first perspective titles for now. I tried Alien Isolation with the DK, and it made me pretty ill.

Tried iRacing last night, and I was pretty impressed. It was a lot of fun, and very comfortable. All that time in Elite Dangerous gave me some VR legs. I used to feel a little dizzy at times, and when I played Assetto Corsa in my DK2 when going around corners my brain would be tripping pretty hard. No issue anymore. Seems like iRacing is pretty dead right now though. Not much available for racing in my time zone. So yeah, I think I'll give pcars a try for the Career mode.

On a side note, regarding purchasing through steam vs oculus. I noticed, with Elite Dangerous, that if I launched the title through steam, performance wasn't as good. Elite was way smoother when I launched the game through Oculus home. My guess is because of ATW. My rig is scraping the minimum (i7-2600k oc / 780Ti). So I'm really wondering how that might affect PCars..

Ya, I've been staying away from first perspective titles for now. I tried Alien Isolation with the DK, and it made me pretty ill.

Tried iRacing last night, and I was pretty impressed. It was a lot of fun, and very comfortable. All that time in Elite Dangerous gave me some VR legs. I used to feel a little dizzy at times, and when I played Assetto Corsa in my DK2 when going around corners my brain would be tripping pretty hard. No issue anymore. Seems like iRacing is pretty dead right now though. Not much available for racing in my time zone. So yeah, I think I'll give pcars a try for the Career mode.

On a side note, regarding purchasing through steam vs oculus. I noticed, with Elite Dangerous, that if I launched the title through steam, performance wasn't as good. Elite was way smoother when I launched the game through Oculus home. My guess is because of ATW. My rig is scraping the minimum (i7-2600k oc / 780Ti). So I'm really wondering how that might affect PCars..

I agree that ATW is smoother on Rift, When I play Project Cars through my Vive is is not as smooth for sure. I launch it in other mode and use the CV1 on it as well because of ATW. I also have to say FP game make me really nauseated after extensive use. The car and sim games do not however. Something about the turning in the FP games like Vanishing of Ethan carter will give you almost sea sickness feeling after 30 minutes of playtime.

I agree that ATW is smoother on Rift, When I play Project Cars through my Vive is is not as smooth for sure. I launch it in other mode and use the CV1 on it as well because of ATW. I also have to say FP game make me really nauseated after extensive use. The car and sim games do not however. Something about the turning in the FP games like Vanishing of Ethan carter will give you almost sea sickness feeling after 30 minutes of playtime.

I totally believe that.

There is some free to play yaht racing game on Steam for the Vive where you essentially control the rudder of a boat and race. I don't normally get sea sick or anything, but that made me a little bit queasy. Any first person experience where you're not actually moving yourself to move around sounds like a recipe for motion sickness.

I figured 3rd person would do this too, but I had no issues playing Luckys Tale. Go figure.

On a side note, regarding purchasing through steam vs oculus. I noticed, with Elite Dangerous, that if I launched the title through steam, performance wasn't as good. Elite was way smoother when I launched the game through Oculus home.

I run it on a Vive and I originally had really bad stuttering in Elite, and the simplest solution I found was to make sure SteamVR is shut down before launching the game (I don't actually close Steam, though). Since then it's been fine.

Meanwhile, talking of cockpit-based space shooters I was tinkering with House of the Dying Sun last night and that's pretty nice. It's only a small indie thing but the stylised graphics work really well with the relatively low-res HMD. I need to get it to work with a proper joystick though (apparently it's possible if not yet properly supported) because trying to fly with an xbox pad messes with my head after so many hours of Elite.

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'll buy Pcars through Oculus to be sure it runs smoother with ATW. I don't plan to Multiplayer with it anyways.

Question. Has anyone gotten VorpX to run FO4 or Skyrim or GTAV here? I am curious about whether or not if it's worth the asking price.

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'll buy Pcars through Oculus to be sure it runs smoother with ATW. I don't plan to Multiplayer with it anyways.
doesn't matter if you buy it through oculus or steam. When you launch Steam in "other VR mode" it causes the oculus runtime and store to enable. I have it through steam on Oculus and works perfectly.

I'm waiting for AMD based Augmented reality sets. I really feel being in a tight room with a big cable coming out the back to a dedicated system isn't how VR or AR is meant to be explored. So I'm holding out.

Question. Has anyone gotten VorpX to run FO4 or Skyrim or GTAV here? I am curious about whether or not if it's worth the asking price.
I've been curious about it as well, but since it doesn't add motion controls to the games, I honestly can't see using it very much other than the novelty.

If you get it, let us know how you like it. Also, I'm pretty sure a free alternative to VorpX is available but forgot what it's called.

Back