• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2TB SSD for my needs?

dpriest

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 18, 2014
Messages
131
Hi all, I have an x399 Threadripper build that I am wanting to upgrade storage if it makes sense. I am not a gamer. I aquire a lot of media online and do some post processing and then move it to my NAS. I am currently using a 2TB WD Black drive for this. I like the longevity/ reliability but it is so slowww. Given that my system supports PCIe Gen. 3, not sure if it's better to get an NVME Gen. 4, Gen 3 or SATA SSD. I want something not only that will be as fast as possible but also something with good longevity that won't break the bank. I have been looking at the Samsung 980 Pro, 970 and 870 evo. Additionally, I intend to hold on to my system as long as possible but Microsoft might limit that with future OS not supporting my MOBO.

Thoughts?
 
Thanks for the same recommendation. Just ordered the 970 EVO Plus 2TB on Amazon. I know I will only be able to get another couple of years out of my rig thanks to Microsoft. Still on Windows 10. When I am forced to upgrade builds I know at the least the new MOBOs will be PCIe Gen.4
 
On second thought, cancelled my order for the 970 EVO Plus because someone else recommended the Crucial P3 Plus 2TB Gen. 4 for the same price. He was saying that the older 970 EVO Plus are not the same as the new ones being made, that it's like a bait and switch by Samsung and the P3 Plus outperforms on all levels. I assume the longevity will be similar. Eventhough Samsung uses TLC and the P3 has QLC, it shows as being faster.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-NAND-5000MB/dp/B0B25ML2FH?th=1

Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you do lots of long data transfers and then on top lots more data copying and deleting? If so get the Samsung. If you just want somewhere to dump data as mostly archive, get the P3
 
I found this regarding Samsung switching controllers. When downloading files to the drive, the largest the individual file size will not exceed 100GB. I could simultaneously write a few of these files. Then I process the files which writes another copy to the drive. After the post processing, I move it to my NAS. A lot of the time the drive will be empty or only have very little data on it. Not sure if I'm overthinking this or not.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...ung_970_evo_plus_ssd_hardware_revisions_does/
 
Last edited:
If you're doing anything with the data on the drive other than reading it, avoid those Crucial P3s like the plague. Even when doing simple (but large) file copies to the drive it's going to be slower than a hard drive for transfer speeds once it runs out of cache. My experience is with the P3 rather than the P3 plus but there's no way I'd get another one except for a write once and read only drive after that.

This isn't a recommendation for the Samsung drive instead but there are quite a few other good NVME drives out there. Price might be a little higher but at this point most of the quality ones are similar in price and rather affordable.
 
On second thought, cancelled my order for the 970 EVO Plus because someone else recommended the Crucial P3 Plus 2TB Gen. 4 for the same price. He was saying that the older 970 EVO Plus are not the same as the new ones being made, that it's like a bait and switch by Samsung and the P3 Plus outperforms on all levels. I assume the longevity will be similar. Eventhough Samsung uses TLC and the P3 has QLC, it shows as being faster.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-NAND-5000MB/dp/B0B25ML2FH?th=1

Thoughts?

Bad call, IMO, given the described usage. Gotta agree with basically everything SmokeRngs said above.

Both P3 drives use QLC NAND, which is slow and has relatively terrible wear characteristics compared to TLC units. Throughput on QLC units also crashes on large writes. It's also DRAM-less, but given your application that's probably not as big a deal so long as this is a second drive and not also hosting your OS/apps. The only thing the P3 Plus gets you over its non-Plus sibling is a marginally faster PCIe4 controller (that is still pretty slow relative to other PCIe4 drives).

For current higher-end SSDs, the WD SN850X and SK Hynix P41 hititnquitit recommended are good choices, as well as the Solidgm P44 or Samsung 980 Pro/990 Pro. The 970 Evo+ or SK Hynix P31 should be fine if you wanted to save a few bucks and get a PCIe3 unit.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You want a PCIe NVMe, not a "SATA SSD"

Kingston KC3000 is a top contender for pure performance and has not had any firmware problems like Samsung seems to like to have on their 980PRO line and then the crappy 990 PRO performance... so either WD or the Kingston.
 
Did you end up getting something? The TeamGroup T-Force Cardea Zero Z440 2TB is the GOAT. It has been running on sale at various etailers for a good price. It's PCIe 4.0, not the fastest drive at only 5000/4400 MBps but you're on a PCIe 3.0 platform anyway so it will saturate that ~3500MBps performance no problem. Carry it forward to a gen4 platform and get a little faster speeds.

Why is it the GOAT? TBW: 3600TB, 1.7 Million hours MTBF, Phison E16 controller, BiCS TLC NAND, DRAM cache, 5 year warranty, graphene heatspreader. Besides faster speeds on the top end Gen 4 NVMEs (which will be wasted on a PCIe Gen 3 system anyway) this is the drive to get.
 
Back
Top