BenQ releases XL2410T, their first 120 Hz monitor

So I got this monitor in the mail today, and I must say that I'm very satisfied, once you set it to sRGB, it really gets better. I had a CRT before to game and IPS for work, and I tried another 120hz monitor but it was really bad. The tint shifts a little, and the viewing angles are not that good, what you'd expect from a TN. But the contrast is definetly good compared to my previous 120hz, and much better than my ZR24W. I was expecting a lot more backlight bleed, but once I set it to sRGB I really barely can see it anymore. I don't have a camera that's good enough to show it, you wouldn't be able to see it, I might have got lucky because I saw others had some bleeding. The coating is perfect, it doesn't bother me at all. The overdrive is very agressive, and creates some visible artifacts, but I prefer this than turning it off and having a lot of ghosting, with it turned on it's almost as responsive as my CRT, it didn't affect my frags at all coming from a CRT. I didn't do a test but I don't feel any input lag, and I'm very sensitive to this. Had one stuck pixel when it came in but got fixed after a minute or two. The options on this monitors are very extensive and that makes me happy, you can change the ratio to make it 1:1 whatever the resolution. The build quality seems very good, almost comparable to my ZR24W and you can adjust the height very high. So I was looking since 120hz started coming out for a good one and I finally found one, I know it's not perfect, but it's good enough for me to game on. Bought on futureshop.ca for 350$, I was absolutly expecting to return it at the store the next day, but I'm happy to say that I'm keeping this monitor, first in a long time. So if you're looking for a 23.6" 120hz monitor with a picture that won't blow you away, but has no major issue such as crushed blacks or backlight bleed (might depend on the monitor), with good contrast, a good deal of options, very good responsiveness and a good build quality, go for it.

Cybz please post the build date and firmware of your XL2410T.

I ordered mine, direct from BenQ store, expected delivery is Monday. I plan on doing a side by side comparison with my FW900. Granted it's "dying" but as far as I can tell its only showing signs of this when I turn it on, once it's on it's still good.

Mine got delivered as I was about to leave for work. Build date is Feb '11 with 005 firmware. backlight looks pretty darn good. I can not notice any bleed and it looks pretty uniform though I am not a professional tester "trained" to look for the really small stuff.

black levels seem quite good, though the black crush saddens me. When I looked at the Lagom black level test with my FW900 before getting this thing I said to myself, "it can't show a difference between those squares??". No, it can't. However, I haven't really noticed it so far in games, but then again I haven't been trying to play Doom 3 or anything like that. What I have noticed is that the extremities vary ever so slightly in brightness, particularly top and bottom which I know is just a "feature" of TN viewing angles. This monitor will certainly train me to use correct posture.

All in all so far it is better than I expected. 16:9 bothers me less than I thought it would. I wouldn't even want a 16:10 TN if it existed anyways, based on the viewing angles.

Tomorrow or Wed I may try to do more of a side by side with the FW900.

Last edited:
Is this the best 3d monitor out there? I am trying to decide between this, VG236 and the AW2310. Some people say they are all great, some hate them all etc and I just cant seem to decide.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this monitor as I'm tired of waiting on the GN245HQ or the myriad of other displays supposedly coming out soon. Two questions:

How noticeable is the AMA dark overshoot in the real world? Shots from empirical tests can often overblow how noticeable things are in real world usage. I'm the kinda person who is using a 4 year old LCD and doesn't really notice 2D ghosting much at all. Am I going to even notice the overdrive?

Also has anyone used this with 3D vision? How is the ghosting? I expect some, but if anyone has experience using other 3D monitors how does this one compare for 3D crosstalk?

How noticeable is the AMA dark overshoot in the real world? Shots from empirical tests can often overblow how noticeable things are in real world usage. I'm the kinda person who is using a 4 year old LCD and doesn't really notice 2D ghosting much at all. Am I going to even notice the overdrive?

Personally I don't find it noticeable. It's there if you look for it but doesn't really bother me.

I think someones finger slipped, those keys are pretty close together.

I finally got this monitor. I'm pretty happy with it. Dec 2010 manufacture and 005 firmware, other than a small strip along the bottom there is no backlight bleed. The uniformity of the panel isn't the greatest (tho I'm using pro 2D monitors, so its an unfair comparison), but is really only noticable in super grey scenes, there appears to be a "texture" to the screen. Not a huge deal tho. The 120 hz is fantastic and I can't go back to 60hz now. The AMA isn't noticable tho i leave it off most of the time anyway. Colour out of the box is fucked. Definitely need to play with the standard/sRGB presets to get something nice. FPS/gamer modes do strange things to text, so use sRGB/standard modes in windows. The stand is really nice and reconfigurable, looks better than it does in photos. AG coating is exactly what I like.

Some games look incredible in 3D (trine, civ, batman, crysis2 looks ok) others have ghosting issues with grey areas (portal 2). Overall I'm happy with my purchase, though I can see the desire for a truly ghost free 3D monitor. You also loose just a little too much brightness in 3D.

Hi guys! It's BenQ! Thank you all for the comments (good or bad) on XL2410T! We appreciate it!
W/O your inputs we will not be able to improve the products and service!

Follow us on twitter since we are giving EXCLUSIVE discount codes through twitter from time to time!

http://twitter.com/#!/BenqAmerica

Hi guys! It's BenQ! Thank you all for the comments (good or bad) on XL2410T! We appreciate it!
W/O your inputs we will not be able to improve the products and service!

Follow us on twitter since we are giving EXCLUSIVE discount codes through twitter from time to time!

http://twitter.com/#!/BenqAmerica

On the subject of improving products and service...Just want to let you know I've been wanting to pull my hair out dealing with your tech support people. When I was first having problems with a brand new monitor the person I talked to had little to no idea what he was talking about (and actually told me incorrect information). Finally I get him to transfer me to his "senior engineer",which would have been nice except it went straight to voicemail and the guy never called me back. So later the next day after much frustration I decided to just RMA for credit at which point I was forced to find a fax machine so I could fax a form (apparently not doable over the phone or by email) to you guys to return a defective unit for credit. Then I had to wait a day to get someone to call to confirm it before I would be issued an RMA # and while a guy called on Monday and told me he was going to email the RMA number to me I have yet to receive it. I called today to find out what's going on and apparently only one person in your tech support dept handles RMA for credit and he wasn't working today so I have to call back on Monday, which, according to the guy I talked to, he might be working

$400 monitor worked for 3 hours before going bad and I've spent at least 2x that dealing with inept tech support staff and a stupid RMA system.

Honestly, if the initial tech support hadn't been horrid I would have been RMAing for repair/exchange instead of credit. At the same time if I had known this was the crap I'd have to go through to return a defective unit I'd never have ordered it from you in the first place.

The monitor was great for the 3hrs it worked (I was more impressed with it than I thought I'd be) and obviously the majority of them aren't bad like the one I got but holy crap the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Thanks Vanfan13. Sorry to hear that we could not respond to your RMA request in a timely manner. My apologies! If you are willing to give us and XL2410T a 2nd chance please contact our toll free number 1-888-920-2367 or online team direct line 949-255-9481 on weekdays we will love to hear from you and ensure you are helped!

Just received this monitor a couple of days ago. Easy to assemble and while the arm doesn't seem the highest quality but it's adequate for what I need. Out of the box as others have noted, brightness is way too high. A few adjustments later and picture quality can be compared to my previous monitor the BenQ E2420HD. The main reason I got this monitor was for the 120Hz and I am extremely pleased with the results. Going from 60Hz to 120Hz is night and day. If you are a gamer (especially FPS) then IMO the extra money is worth it. I could never go back to 60Hz now. I was worried that many had reported backlight bleeding on their monitors and was the main reason I put off buying it earlier. Mine however has ever so slight bleeding on the bottom which is not at all noticeable during regular use. Screen uniformity is excellent. The only issue I have so far is black crush. It's not extreme but is noticeable. However not enough to greatly annoy me. Overall I'm extremely happy with this monitor!

Great to hear! Hopefully some of the newer (after BenQ fixed and updated their XL) adopters of this will find it as much as a blast as we do :)

Apparently most all the XL2410T out in the market now all carry Firmware 005 which eliminates most (if not all) of the initial bugs.

Has anyone heard anything about the XL2420T or the XL2420TX? The Nvidia 3DVision 2 press release yesterday mentioned them.

Last edited:
No.... what are the specs on these new bad boys :)
Please do share!!! I was waiting for the next Gen. to jump on the newer 120hz band wagon! Any improvements?

So guys,nice thread,should I go finally for this panel? I founded 2 months used,250€
I need a 120hz panel,but I haven't decide yet.,I'm thinking about Alienware aw2310,instead of Benq..
Do you think the colours of the Benq will be total crap,compare to my dell 2311?
To be honest I didn't found the colours of that Ips so good..

Give a help,thanx

I just received this monitor for a great deal. It's running firmware 005 and I'm very satisfied. Using it for competitive FPS. Next step is to calibrate it my Eye One.

Thought I'd update this....

The monitors manufactured since May 2011 have improved backlighting that is even and not blotchy. All monitors manufactured since January 2011 have FW005. If you are on the market for one now then you will almost certainly get a manufacture date of May or later.

I've had my monitor for 6 months now and it's the best TN I've ever had. For gaming the low input lag is incredible. Black depth is less than perfect (VA) but I'll live.

Where do you find the manufacturer date on the monitor?

Also, do you know of any calibration settings for FW005? I can't find my Eye One and I'd like better black shadow detail without sacrificing proper contrast.

anyone with a V005 have a picture of the backlight bleed/lack thereof?

Mine is uniform except for the bottom left has a bout 8 inches where there's some bleeding. Pretty obvious in very dark scenes. Wondering if I should roll the dice and RMA to see if the replacement is better. Do they cross-ship?

i aswell have backliht bleed =( dont know if they cross ship but would hate to get a WORSE monitor lol

Just got this for Xmas, anyone care to help me figure out how to color calibrate it? I'm pretty terrible at it. Primary use will be gaming.

i think that,after reading stuff out there and here,i might jump on the 120hz bandwagon too.

But of course,i've got some questions related to this..

I've seen the XL2420T at a shop in my city,wich seems like actually "The Winner" in Non Glossy SCREEN 120hz monitors after XL2410T (i guess...it's a better version?) in a nice price of 326€

Now the questions (this is a copy paste from another place but i wanna know you guys opinions) :

-What about movie's Lipsync and fast scenes?,it could cause Trouble for some people...same would happen for games...i guess.

-Is the color good enough for coloring in photoshop with a specific Monitor Adjustment from it's OSD?,also,Blacks are BLACK (aka no little brightness to them)?,i'm not a PRO photo editor from cameras but a simple artist,so i guess that shouldnt be a prob in choosin a TN monitor,right?
-Ghosting/Tracing?
-My PC is this one: Intel i5 2500K NOT OC'd,8GB DDR3 1333mhz,ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO GEN3, Gigabyte 460GTX 1GB

Will it be able to handle the monitor's 120hz?

-How would the games look if the game's V-Sync's enabled in 120hz Mode?..i play Team Fortress 2 and it goes waaaay higher than 60FPS (max around is 130FPS i think)..and if not (aka V-Sync disabled),how much?

-Screen Tearing?

-I actually use my GPU with a DVI Cable...but i dont know if it'll be good enough for the 120hz mode...would my cable be enough or how should i check if it's able to be used in 120hz? (Pins or something)..i've heard there's this "Dual DVI" cable but i only wanna use one screen..*Shrugs* no idea *ME NOOB* (i've got HDMI,YES,but the input in the GPU needs an adapter,but that adapter touches the RIG and makes it look not straight inputted)...does the box comes with that Dual DVI cable to prevent buyin one?

-If i put 60Hz Mode in the 120Hz what would be the consequences in video/image/gaming?...just wondering eh..

I dont know what else to ask about...IPS monitors are NOT good for Gaming so they're a con...so this guy says on the XL2410T monitor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CML9GaMSdg ..i think he says the monitor grabs the good stuff of the IPS n VA panels and placed them in this TN one? Oo..

I will NOT use 3D at all(BURRRRRRRRRRRRRNS MY EYES,even at cinema) ..is there a way to disable it?

Hope you guys can help me decide....Actual monitor = Samsung SyncMaster 206BW..i pointed to the BenQ one since the Samsung ones out there have GLOSSY SCREEN and i dont wanna see myself or the environment while playing..distracting....TOTALLY

Last edited:
Answering your questions in order:

I dont know about lipsync, never had a problem, doesn't that have more to do with your codecs, aren't movies locked at around 30 fps anyway?

Colors are bad. Blacks are bad. But that's normal for any TN panel.

I'm pretty sensitive to ghosting and this monitor is acceptable to me, coming from CRT I tried many lcds before this one. Overdrive will cause pretty heavy artefacts but to me that's preferable to ghosting.

You dont need a good pc to "handle" 120hz. refresh rate != fps

with vsync it will snap to 120 fps if you can get that high and you won't get much lag compared to 60hz vsync. There is no limit to fps if vsync is off, up to your video card.

I notice some screen tearing with vsync off but it gets better at 130 fps and more. But it's nothing compared to the massive tearing you'd get with a 60hz monitor.

It comes with a Dual DVI cable don't worry about it. and it doesn't mean 2 outputs, it just means a dvi that has different pins and can handle more signal, your video card supports it.

I can't see a reason why you'd use 60hz if it can support 120hz, but it means you'd lose all the smoothness of 120hz...

That guy in the youtube video doesn't know what he's talking about if he compares this monitor to an IPS in any way. It does is better than all other 120hz I tried, but it's nothing like IPS or VA, you get this monitor for motion smoothness, but it will be nowhere near IPS for picture quality.

Yes you can disable 3D

If you want a non-glossy 120hz, I would say it's a pretty safe bet to go with this one. Get the XL2420T if you can it's a bit bigger and has more inputs and a bit more luminance, but not a big deal compared to XL2410T.

326€ seems expensive but I don't know about the euro market. Up to you to shop around.

Last edited:
-My actual codecs are perfect for now,using the CCCP ones,no probs for over some years.

-i just used one of my drawings in a TN panel (Asus VE278Q) at the shop i work at and i saw the blacks..are completely black..that's what my eye saw..thou..so i guess this one of 120hz should do the same?..and the colors were identical to my actual monitor's,but yellows looked much better and some parts bit brighter (guess it's because it's a newer monitor)

-Monitor Artifacts like what,moving a window around and seeing some pixel trailing?...i tought artifacts were related to the GPU's heatness over 70 grades or something...Overdrive? (Noob,i know)..

-Ok o.o...

-So V-Sync ON with 120hz will have a supposed 120FPS most of the times?..sounds good to me..and OFF,even higher depending of the card..hopefully OFF wont OVERHEAT the card...¬¬..correct me if i'm wrong,this is new to me =.=; (Example: Team Fortress 2,all maxed out)

-That depends of the games (like..Command n Conquer 3?) and how's V-Sync enabled or not...right?,if tearing appears,just turn V-Sync on and tada...

-Great

-Well,that's why i was lookin for this monitor..SMOOTHNESS..and bigger size

-THIS...IS...THE (same as always) DRAMA POINT...But i tought the colors would be good enough for colouring besides of the super gaming...i'm NOT,again,a professional editor,i dont edit photos taken by cameras..all i do is drawing with my Wacom Bamboo tablet..(here,have a look http://dantiscus.deviantart.com/gallery/ )

-Good (3D part)

-....Lol?..and then i saw people over this forum saying it has some bugs (XL2410T) here n there n stuff..i tried google'in the differences but no luck (instead,i get reviews)

-438$..and we dont have the XL2410T model over here...at the shops,eh

I don't know about the Asus VE278Q but all TN in general are bad for picture work, they have a limited color range and viewing angles all over the place (have you ever seen a IPS/VA ?) But that depends on how important that aspect is for you only you can decide, if you can spare it consider getting a 120hz for gaming and an IPS for everything else (that's what I do).

Overdrive artifacts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98uMUbMPxsY, greatly reduces the appearance of ghosting but creates weird sort of burned color trailings around the edges, most noticable when you move fast, but you get used to it, and you don't have to use that feature (you can turn it off in the options).

You won't overheat your video card because of high frame rate, if anything it's when its working hard and you get low frame rate that it generates heat, but unless you did some heavy overclocking to it you don't have to worry about that.

You will only get 120hz vsync if you can get constant higher than 120fps in the game, otherwise it will drop below 120fps and you will lose the sync. and yes it will be locked at 120fps and have no tearing, but will introduce a bit of lag because it has to buffer frames to keep it in sync but at 120fps it really doesn't matter it's high enough anyway.

I prefer vsync off but that's just my preference, some games these days are shoddy and force vsync or force lower frame rate and crap like that. But at least you'll have 120hz smoothness and that's the whole point because at 60hz you're faced with the choice between horrible lag with vsync or horrible screen tearing with vsync off.

I draw too with a wacom tablet, and for that I use an IPS, drawing is ok on TN, but when you deal with colors forget it, you can't color on a TN, they are not at all calibrated, colors will shift from one side of the screen to the other and they have only 6 bit of color range.

It might have bugs I didn't have problems with it but if you go for XL2420T then you don't have to worry about that.

....I've recently seen one or two IPS monitors 2 days ago...the ASUS ML238H (i think..cant remember exactly) and another one (thou i think it wasnt IPS)..when i saw the ASUS one from a side i guess i didnt saw any bad angle lookin (the dark "invasion" thing),it was seen like nothing,but for colors on the video they were showing up...i just didnt noticed anything..maybe it was pretty high on brightness and not showing the true colors?...

2 monitors cant fit on my desk........there's the problem (here's a picture of the room,thou it's old and stuff changed,but the monitor's in the exact place http://dantiscus.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=room#/d1wks6j )
..and i'd sure disable the overdrive if that makes those green stuff (for example) disappear..besides,we're talking about a 120hz monitor,no ghosting nor tracing should appear,right?

i dont overclock and i rarely get hard work on the GPU,except on CRYSIS 2's ULTRA settings with the patches and HD stuff XDDD..but i dont OC at all..i dont wanna burn my rig ¬¬

My actual monitor's facing me and i RARELY watch it from a side..except when i'm resting on the bed and do long distance actions with the mouse..and even keyboard (memorized),but still,i get a nice view of the contents

Then how the hell did i managed to color with my actual TN monitor? XD..i didnt even touched the settings!! ^^;...i bet i'd just have to play a bit with the monitor settings and that's it...that's why some people posts their contrast and modes so they match the correct looks,i guess..but that's just my POV (in reviews,in forums...)

No,i dont wanna sound like a troll (and i'm not one at all)..i'm just trying to point out some facts because my room is a bit small and i cant just fit 2 monitors..so i'm lookin for just one to be worth my needs and money...and not having to return after and regretting..that's why i wanna make sure to ask for any possible details before the buy n stuff..

Sorry for everything

Last edited:
It's might be hard to see the colors if you're not used to it or if you don't have them side by side but all I can tell you is there is a huge difference in color accuracy and range from TN to IPS. It should be obvious if you had them both side by side. I'm not saying you absolutly can't color but profesionnal graphists/artists don't buy 1000$ monitors for no reason, or else their work won't show right on print or other monitors.

There is no "one fit all" monitor with lcds, they're all suited for one thing or another you just have to decide what's more important to you.

You'll still get ghosting 120hz has nothing to do with ghosting (altough the XL2420T is one of the best monitor for response rate you won't really find better).

Viewing angles is not as much about viewing it from the sides (who does that) but all TN I tried become tinted/dark on top or bottom or corners because you're staring down the middle and if you move your head up you'll see the top become ok and the bottom gets dark.

i once bought a Samsung S24A300B or something wich had VGA and HDMI only..when i was drawing i noticed that some colors were different..placed both my actual monitor and the 24" one side by side and got scared the hell out by the colors being a bit brighter than the 20" one i have,thou now i dont remember the blacks,and inmediatly returned the 24" monitor..but then,after seeing other monitors at shops with some pics i had in a USB,they all had the same contrast and great colors and 100% blacks (in the pictures),thou whenever they showed up Demos from the shop it looked..different.

Well,my actual monitor does the tinter/dark top or bottom thing you mention last,but i barely pay attention to it..maybe because it's not LED i dont notice it (even in games)..as for a reference,my nose reaches the top border of the monitor but a bit higher,if that helps...

If i still get ghosting even in a 120hz why bothering then?!..what's the point,just smooth movements?,i tought it was designed so gamers could play like perfectly fast and without probs!..

I guess i'll have to wait for a proper review from a Pro site like this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2420t.htm ,and wait means March 16th...

Thanks for the help,but i cant get on the bandwagon...yet...now i'll go to sleep,my head's about to explode

I would suggest you check out the difference between refresh rate and response time. All lcds have ghosting, it's a matter of degree.

i've been askin other people who owns the XL2410T and they said they had no problems with blacks,that they're all 100%,even after askin them to check out two pictures i have..i dont know what's going on then?...pictures as in my own drawings,eh..

Ahem!...Gentlemen?...May i borrow your Ear Piece?..."This is SCOUT!...120HZ MAKES ME ROCK!"...for now....

Colors are almost identical to the older monitor,except,much better partially^^...gotta test TF2 with V-Sync off and 120hz (YES,enabled 120hz)

"We are living our liiiiives..." http://dantiscus.deviantart.com/art...h-3rd-2012-288390417?q=gallery:dantiscus&qo=0

Here's my actual settings:

Image: Standard
Brightness: 18
Contrast: 50 (for now)
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: 4
Color Temperature: Normal

TF2 with V-Sync OFF and 120hz makes the game run tween 100 and 230 FPS (brutal,everything MAXXXXXED out but BLUR OFF)

Last edited:
Back