BenQ releases XL2410T, their first 120 Hz monitor

Response time isn't evenon par with the better 60hz displays, so what's the point? The BenQ costs over 100$ more then any of the other 120hz displays here and seems to have the worst quality control.

So wait you aren't going to tell everyone how well it scored with it being second in contrast to the BenQ using a MVA panel? I thought you were obsessed with contrast ratio and color performance more than anything else.

No bias just logic.

It's a 120hz display but performs worse then most of the good 60hz TN's in terms of motion yet costs twice as much. So there is no point as the main reason to purchase a 120hz display is for the response time.

Hello guys.
I'm happy (or better say unhappy?) owner of aforementioned XL2410T display.
At first glance this display was quite good. But later when I started using 3D Vision, I have noticed incredibly high background bleeding:
UPDATED PHOTO: http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/662/xl2410tbleeding.jpg
Photo taken under bright lighting condition, when lights is dim bleeding is much more noticeable. Such huge bleeding is only happens in "3D Mode",
which is enabled automatically when "Enable stereoscopic 3D" option is checked in nVidia control panel (even if 3D stereo effect is actually disabled).
I have expected many things from 3D GAMING LED monitor, but only NOT THIS (such an uneven lighting is even noticeable in games, e.g. when looking at sky in FPS)... :(
Any suggestion? Is this issue can be somehow corrected, or the only way is to replace/return display by warranty?

Last edited:
I would expect the backlight bleed to be worse on 3D monitors due to the excessive brightness. However I do hope I am having better luck with mine :)

No bias just logic.

It's a 120hz display but performs worse then most of the good 60hz TN's in terms of motion yet costs twice as much. So there is no point as the main reason to purchase a 120hz display is for the response time.
Did you get a chance to test the monitor to get that conclusion? I just got the XL2410T and I have no problems what so ever... wondering how you got that...

Just unpacked mine. It´s cold and all. I have one weird issue. If I use blank as a screensaver I don´t have much blacklight bleed just around the corners and actually seem more uniform then my G2400W. However on the desktop I get a bluish band across the lower third? More adjacent to my Icons on the left side? Over here at hardforum where it´s all black no sign of it?. My desktop also has a black background so you think it would be visible here on hardocp and on the blank screensaver as well? Angle the monitor upwards and you can just about get it to disappear. Angle it fully downwards the entire screen gets blue. Also it was a bit scary to see the crystals floating around when you press the sides to adjust the angle.

Otherwise the foot does look solid enough for my needs. Quite an upgrade to the G2400W stand. However I suspect I would have liked a locking mechanism at higher then the lowest point as well.

The XL2410T does seem to have poor viewing angles even for a TN panel. Tilting the monitor up or down (or changing my own position) just a little bit affects the colors more than on my previous G2400WD. I also occasionally notice that colors on the top and bottom of the XL2410T appear different, this was not the case with the G2400WD which was also a TN.

I would expect the backlight bleed to be worse on 3D monitors due to the excessive brightness. However I do hope I am having better luck with mine :)
See, if back-bleeding would be evenly-lit, I would not mind. But it's QUITE uneven, goes in bands, forms something like big cells, just take a closer/longer look at photo I have posted. And this sucks badly...

[OFF TOPIC] Yesterday I have tried GTA4 in 3D Stereo (again). At first, there were incredibly high ghosting level (almost 3 objects visible on screen for every single one), but then I have tried reducing contrast level via OSD (the only parameter available in 3D MODE), and apparently, ghosting was reduced to almost non-existent! Sure, game became much darker, but rising contrast level via in-game settings returned everything back to normal WITHOUT increasing ghosting level! So for those of you who have issues with ghosting - try to play with contrast level.

Well mine isn´t flawless either. I tried it in vertical mode. It got kind of a skyscraper but as a review mentioned it exaggerate all the flaws of bad viewing angles on TN panels. I did know this when I got it so it´s not really a dealbreaker. It certainly still works in this mode but you really can´t lean left or right for a dime.

As for the bluish line it´s obviously a black bleed issue since I got the band also in portrait mode the same way. Again some viewing angles exaggerate this other hide it it seems. Time will tell how disturbing it´s for games but the little I have been able to try it has been good enough. 2D you can reduce brightness enough so it´s pretty much a non issue. colours are screwed on TN panels anyway.

Gonna have to try some night racing which is the real test regarding contrast, blackness, backlight bleed, refresh rate, ghosting etc at such speeds. I have never tested a LCD panel that is worth a dime for night racing.

Tried 3D now. And yes as mentioned the backbleed issues is magnified x10. I think mine is actually worse then your picture shows. Not sure it will work for me.

Response time isn't evenon par with the better 60hz displays, so what's the point? The BenQ costs over 100$ more then any of the other 120hz displays here and seems to have the worst quality control.

I don't understand, are the other 120Hz monitors repsonse time better than the Benq's?

BenQ is joining the "we gots 10,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio, lolz" club. /facepalm

Is that asymmetrical bezel going to cause trouble with surround?

haha, nope. It would only be a problem if you wanted to go portrait. In which, 3D doesn't work in portrait. But i guess it would be nice to have a really huge 120Hz display, but who can get a game up 120FPS at that resolution?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/benq_xl2410t.htm#display_comparisons

You can see the dark overdrive trailing in the review linked above. Compare the photos of the XL2410T with the Samsung 2233RZ (also 120Hz).

The Samsung gets there by offering quite some input lag though which make it worse.

Picking TN panels is like choosing the most painless way of dying :p.

As for 120 hz and input lag it´s a big difference compared to my G2400W. Which was not to shabby in regard of input lag at least and not terrible on ghosting. But it was long since I was on CRT of course.

To bad about the backlight bleed though gonna have to find some way to fix that.

Im really confused and getting mixed emotions about which monitor to choose.

XL2410T or LG W2363D-PF or Alienware

want it for gaming 1st person shooter games and wont be using 3D much and AMD but i think i just read that the LG doesnt support AMD 3D yet. :S

suggestions please i need to get 3 monitors. asus was a no go because i dont want 3x 3D vision kits they dont sell the monitor by itself in Aust.

I don't understand, are the other 120Hz monitors repsonse time better than the Benq's?

Yes, quite a bit so.

Right now my current 60hz monitor, the Acer G245H shows similar if not better motion then the BenQ. Same thing goes for the 2007 Samsung 275t.

Refer to the TFT Central review posted, or have a look at Digital Verus (link to the Alienware vs Asus motion performance).

The BenQ is by no means bad for a 60hz panel, however at 450$ (CAN) vs the Acer (200$) or something like the Dell U2311H it's safe to say the BenQ has unacceptable motion performance for this type of product, thus defeating the purpose of a 120hz panel sense you can get faster 60hz panels at half the price.

Im really confused and getting mixed emotions about which monitor to choose.

XL2410T or LG W2363D-PF or Alienware

want it for gaming 1st person shooter games and wont be using 3D much and AMD but i think i just read that the LG doesnt support AMD 3D yet. :S

suggestions please i need to get 3 monitors. asus was a no go because i dont want 3x 3D vision kits they dont sell the monitor by itself in Aust.

Take a look at the Alienware or Asus.

Been reading the forums, lots of people report heavy bleeding on the LG which also has poor color presets. I really recommend waiting for the 3rd gen 120hz panels, most of which have been announced, take a look at TFT Centrals news section

Last edited:
arhh thanks i may wait then because the ones currently out are doing my head in choosing which one.

So they should all be getting released fairly soon hopefully? :D seeing Jan 2011 is nearly gone.

is that site good for updates on the release ?

Here, I have taken another (better quality) photo of XL2410T background bleeding:
xl2410tbleeding.jpg

I'm in TOTAL frustration... This bands are PERFECTLY noticeable in games, this ruins experience a big time... Any suggestions, guys?

Yeah... We are in the same boat, unfortunately...
I have contacted my local service center, and they said, that this may be caused by older firmware (003, perhaps). There is new firmware (005), which supposedly could fix this backlight issue... You can check your current firmware by holding MENU button while powering ON. And then pressing MENU again, after monitor "boots". There is some service information and also you can disable purple logo from service menu :) Please check and post your firmware version.

Is the bad detail visibility in dark scenes due to the LED backlight or is it the monitor itself thats faulty? Thinking about going for the LG and disregard the new viewsonic if thats the case.

I haven't noticed any "bad detail visibility" in 3D Stereo mode - there is enough brightness, believe me. The only real issue is backlight bleeding (?) when in 3D MODE. Hopefully firmware update will help...

Turn off monitor. Hold MENU button and press ON. When monitor turns on, press MENU button once again to see service menu. If no success, try holding MENU button until monitor completely turns ON.

Tried all possible combinations. The only thing I see is that the computer won´t boot if I continously press menu after the initial press.. Should work also with my computer off I would imagine?

Mmm... I really didn't tried entering service menu with PC turned OFF, so I don't know.
But how I entering service menu:
1. Boot PC.
2. Turn OFF display.
3. Press MENU + Power ON button (once), holding MENU until display fully "boots".
4. Press MENU 2 times to bring service menu.
That's it.
Yesterday I have checked which firmware version is installed in my display, it is 002! Which is even older than already outdated 003! Latest version is 005, according to post in russian forum regarding XL2410T.
Planning to bring display for service tomorrow. Will reports afterward...

I have xl2410t too, some backlight bleeding from edges but otherwise quite ok.
Can we update firmware by ourself? I know it is possible on some lcd's.

FW 02 it seems. But I can´t see how a firmware could fix this? Should perhaps gone with conventional backlighting. Or do LED have a longer lifetime and or higher maximum brightness?

As far as I know, firmware update only possible in service. Perhaps you need some smart gadget to do so. Also, take a note, that aforementioned problem with backlight bleeding is only present when display is in 3D MODE (you can see it by opening OSD - everything except contrast level is grayed out, and profile says "3D MODE"). This mode is required for 3D Vision and enabled automatically when 3D Stereo support is enabled in nVidia drivers, no matter if you really using stereoscopic 3D or it is disabled for current game. In standard modes backlight bleeding is quite acceptable, and there is no this ugly whitish cells visible at all...

All the other modes available in XL2410T is ONLY useful when you AREN'T using 3D Vision. When 3D Stereoscopic support is enabled in nVidia control panel, display ALWAYS switches to 3D MODE profile, which only allows you to control contrast level (recommended to be reduced to 0, in order to reduce ghosting). Note, that display switches to 3D MODE profile regardless of are you REALLY using 3D Stereo (could be switched OFF/ON by CTRL+T). All the display issues with backlight bleeding and other crap is ONLY exists while in 3D MODE profile. When 3D stereo support is disabled, display performs quite good in all areas, including backlight bleeding (it's quite low and acceptable).
Greetings.

Good tips. Does anyone have a good solution to tell the monitor to switch the 3D mode off? Often when watching a 3D movie or playing a game the monitor get stuck in 3D mode for quite a while. Disabling stereo3d in nvidia drivers don´t help any and you can´t disable the 3D mode on the monitor itself either. Anyway it´s awkward anyway to find the right buttons in darkness and would preferr a more smooth solution.

You could simply change resolution or refresh ratio after disabling 3D Stereo. Then display will switch to normal mode. However, this solution isn't ideal as well. It just works :)

I got one yesterday (from Scan) and found this thread today! :eek:

I have to say though, all seems pretty good with mine, it reminds me of a (smaller, obviously) version of my HP LP3065 which it's currently sitting next to.

I've just gone into the service menu and the firmware would seem to be the 005 one (V005-20101203) and I'm no expert but I just had a go on Left 4 Dead 2 and it was good, very good in fact.

Either I've dropped in lucky or I don't know a monitor problem when I see one (either's possible!) I know I'll spend the next few days hunting down stuck/dead pixels but so far so good, anyway.

Are you using 3D vision with it? Would be nice if you could try it out at 100 % brightness at least otherwise :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Back