Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Well I tried one in may and couldn't handle the banding. I thought maybe after a few months they may have figured some things out and improved the issue.

My second monitor came in today and has at most 10% of the banding my first one did. I can only see it now if I'm actually trying to find it.

I've been reading a lot about black crush in VA panels. Does anyone who has this monitor have issues with it (loss of really dark detail in the center of the screen when viewed head-on)? Should I be concerned about it?

This monitor has some of VA cone and "black crush" effects, but significantly less than older generations of VA panels.
I did my best to capture the effect in some pics earlier in the thread, here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040999666&highlight=#post1040999666

If you move your head side-to-side, you can notice that dark grey becomes brighter and more noticeable on the side away from where you were moving. All this being said, this monitor does a great job of handling really dark details-- it has outstanding black levels and very good contrast.

ugh, hoping Amazon will refund the difference from my purchase 2 days ago...

Edit: And they did.

Last edited:
ugh, hoping Amazon will refund the difference from my purchase 2 days ago...

Edit: And they did.

I just did a price protection claim with Discover since they refund the difference up to a maximum of $500 and 90 days. I was going to do it when Amazon had it for $629, then it went back up to $649 and then $679. Glad I waited!

This monitor is a pretty incredible deal at the current price. I've really enjoyed the 30" monitors that I've had, but this one costs half of what my U3011 did and is better in several ways.

It's amazing the difference between my first and second monitor. This one is everything I'd hoped the first would be when I ordered it.

I use a Samsung 32" HDTV model 32F6300 mostly to play video games (most of the times with my PC but also with my PS4) and to watch movies.

My question is: Would this BL3200PT monitor provide me a better experience than the results I get with my HDTV? I don't know what kind of panel my HDTV has? Is it an IPS panel? Would the BL3200PT display better colors, better contrast and better response times (no more lag or ghosting that my actual HDTV) Does the BL3200PT have a glossy or a matte display?

Overall, I am very interested in this monitor providing it would be better than my HDTV.

Your insights are much appreciated!

It's amazing the difference between my first and second monitor. This one is everything I'd hoped the first would be when I ordered it.

Can you check to see if it's actually a new revision?

Well guys big letdown for me aswell for the banding bandwagon. I bought the first one through frys electronics locally and had a distracting off contrast verticle strip going up about 1/3 from the left of thepanel, turned it into frys for a refund. Tried again with amazon just ordered it 2 days ago it was made August of 14' and same exact issue with the verticle band 1/3rd over from left.
Hard to see it in movies and hi res videos but it sticks out like dog bawlz when your gaming and looking at the sky or water. Can see it browsing the web in light colors... such a beautifully constructed moniter with a damn good name behind it but when it comes down to it its a huuuuge let down.

I really envy you guys. The availability of this monitor in Germany ist just horrendous.

Well, I finally have this Benq since monday.
Mine can overclock to 75-76 Hz, but even passing the ufo test, I find everything is less smooth than with 60 Hz.

What im doing wrong?

Well, I finally have this Benq since monday.
Mine can overclock to 75-76 Hz, but even passing the ufo test, I find everything is less smooth than with 60 Hz.

What im doing wrong?

you are dropping frames.

use this to test:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

get a phone camera and check with slow shutter speed. i bet you 100$ you are dropping frames

(hint: i know, because i had the monitor and tested this myself :D)

Well the test says passed, but I can say that it skips squares just with my eyes.

Another question is:
Im unable to apply the icc profile from tftcentral, even following guides.
No changes from standard profile at all :/

Well guys big letdown for me aswell for the banding bandwagon. I bought the first one through frys electronics locally and had a distracting off contrast verticle strip going up about 1/3 from the left of thepanel, turned it into frys for a refund. Tried again with amazon just ordered it 2 days ago it was made August of 14' and same exact issue with the verticle band 1/3rd over from left.
Hard to see it in movies and hi res videos but it sticks out like dog bawlz when your gaming and looking at the sky or water. Can see it browsing the web in light colors... such a beautifully constructed moniter with a damn good name behind it but when it comes down to it its a huuuuge let down.

I had this issue both on the left and right of the monitor about 1/3rd of the way over from each side, spaced evenly, but worse on the left. I loved everything about the monitor except this. It was very distracting and I, sadly, eventually returned it for that reason. If not for this banding issue, it would have been the perfect monitor for me.

I haven't had any banding problems. After 2 weeks of playing games on it and been an awesome investment. Very happy with it. I think sometimes..(myself included) we become to picky and i think we fall in the love with loooking/talking about monitors than buying one and keeping it. All these websites that are letting us send the monitor will soon cease all of this. Theres just not enough profit margin to let customers continue to send monitors back. Just saying.

I haven't had any banding problems. After 2 weeks of playing games on it and been an awesome investment. Very happy with it. I think sometimes..(myself included) we become to picky and i think we fall in the love with loooking/talking about monitors than buying one and keeping it. All these websites that are letting us send the monitor will soon cease all of this. Theres just not enough profit margin to let customers continue to send monitors back. Just saying.

I think the lesson learned here for me is to continue to avoid AUO screens. This is not the first time I've been disappointed in their quality. Screen uniformity issues, banding/clouding, and excessive dead pixels have plagued their screens even back 10 years ago when I was still buying Viewsonic 19-20" monitors using AUO sourced screens. It's a complete lottery with them as to whether you'll be getting a gem or a dud.

Any guess as to who makes the screen on the ROG Swift that is getting so much flack for the same issues? Yeah, it's AUO.

Those are some pictures of my screen.
It has some vertical banding.
Is that acceptable? Or should I return it?

aa85zt.jpg

2m5au7o.jpg

2lnh0nd.jpg

1z50scp.jpg

30t6paq.jpg

5wckkj.jpg

2bsnc8.jpg

That's VERY mild compared to the one I had. I don't think it's worth returning it for that unless it really bothers you. But keep in mind if you exchange it for another, the next one could be much worse... like the one I had. Mine had 2 vertical bands and they were much darker.

Yeah, that seems to be fairly mild. Hit up Skyrim during the night or something with similar dark grey shades, and see whether you notice anything during gameplay.

It's probably worse in person. I tried to take photos of mine but the camera and lighting was making the bars look lighter than they actually were.

It's probably worse in person. I tried to take photos of mine but the camera and lighting was making the bars look lighter than they actually were.

Yeah, you're right. I just looked at a picture I took of mine and it looks about the same as his.

Yup, trying to shoot a dark grey screen in low light is hard. "auto" mode tends to way overexpose these pictures and makes the grey brighter than what your eyes see.

Switch to "night sky" mode or Aperture mode and dial it back to about where it fusses about the scene being too dark. That should come out fairly close to what your eyes see.

Ugh. Managed to score this monitor for $595 shipped to my door before the egg upped the price on their promotion. It was a 00-121-BA build lot. Build date of July 2014.

Box arrived in great shape. Fired it up, image looks good. Then wham >.> 2-3 stuck green pixels in the lower right of the screen.

Did the whole massage the pixel no go. Fired up and ran a pixel unstick utility for about 10 hours, no go.

Gaming you rarely notice it. Doing work and web browsing you will definitely see it. Does not help that there was slight vertical banding on the left side of the screen when looking at a solid black/gray/blue background.

Kinda annoyed since the screen looks great when in use. No backlight bleed too. Its just those specific use cases that bother me. Sent it back for a replacement to the egg. Crossing fingers for a better pick the second time around.

Was a huge upgrade from my 6 year old Panasonic TC-32LZ800.

view

About the vertical banding, it's not noticeable when browsing.
But when gaming, let's say "Project Cars" I can notice it in the sky, when turning left or right.

I dont know if I have taken the picture properly, just unlocked phone and shooted. And not in a dark room.

The thing is that apart from that, its perfect. No dead pixels (fingers crossed) or any other ****.
If the one I receive has worse banding or dead/stuck pixels, I die.

The other thing is that with each replacement I have to stay some days without PC. Now I miss that premium warranty from Dell U.U

Which ICC profile do you prefer for this monitor? The one from tftcentral?

I tried all of them..I didnt like them...I went with tomshardware's setting without a ICC profile and im happy. But I only play games on mine.

Ok third one came in today.. Its much better than the last 2! Its still there but much less noticeable in general. This is a July panel like my first one and I thought that was kinda odd specially coming from Amazon, looks like it really is a panel lottery. The colors of this thing are as vivid as my IPS panels and very good blacks. I think that and the physical construction along with the 3 year warranty evens out the negativity.

photo share

Sasha, go through amazon, they sent a replacment next day air for free even before getting the warranty one back (which they payed for shipping also!)

Sasha, go through amazon, they sent a replacment next day air for free even before getting the warranty one back (which they payed for shipping also!)

Yeah, I might try with Amazon.
How did you take your picture? Wich background color, ambient light and camera/monitor settings?

Thats the grey fog color that it turns up worst in also in a tea stained white shade but it really looks as minor as it does in the second picture and I am extremely picky. Nikon digital cam auto settings out of box monitor setting. Another plus, I havnt had one dead pixel with all three nor bleed

Last edited:
ncix has noted that 90% of the people complaining never adjust their monitors as recommended .I dont think anyone should comment about "out of the box" anything in this forum. It just throws doubt and confusion on others' buying decisions.

This display is now in well above 700 dollar range. Darnit. I duno when it is going back down in price. sighs.

Last edited:
Thats the grey fog color that it turns up worst in also in a tea stained white shade but it really looks as minor as it does in the second picture and I am extremely picky. Nikon digital cam auto settings out of box monitor setting. Another plus, I havnt had one dead pixel with all three nor bleed

None of these monitors are perfect. You're going to have to accept some amount of non-conformity with them or else you're better off just getting a refund and trying a different model.

About the vertical banding, it's not noticeable when browsing.
But when gaming, let's say "Project Cars" I can notice it in the sky, when turning left or right.

This is my experience as well. The banding is most noticeable during gaming when the scene changes fast and there are light colors, like the sky in racing games. You kind of see it with your peripheral vision, which is really distracting. Definitely would not recommend this display for action gaming like FPS or racing. With slower paced games like strategy games etc, which is what I play for the most part, I don't see it being a problem.

Other than that, I'm quite happy. I do CAD work for a living, the increased screen real estate is absolutely amazing. The pixel pitch isn't as bad as I imagined. In fact it is pretty much perfect, I feel like I just got a bigger version of my old display (HP L2475W, 24" 1920x1200), which I am keeping as a secondary display, so the near identical PPI is perfect for me.

For the money and my purposes, I think this monitor is a great deal. Of course I got my display just yesterday, so this is my $0.02 after one evening.

I have the replacement monitor.
This one is less noticeable. Only able to see it with that gray screen.
Not visible in football, F1 or gaming. Or with the typical RGB/white/black test.

I think that to find a "perfect one" will be impossible.
Same happened with my Dell 3014, but with the IPS Glow.

I had 8 replacements and I ended up with one with "not too much" glow. But it was certainly there. And after a few days I assumed it was normal and finally stopped seeing it.

I still have 1 month to ask for a replacement.
So im not going to test it in a few days. And if I continue not seeing it under normal use I will keep it.

Other than that -close to paranoid- problems, the monitor is awesome.

Edit:
This second one is from August, the first one is from June.
I noticed that this last, had no sticker in the top left corner.
Any of the owners has received the monitor without sticker? Or Have I received a used one?

Edit 2:
Here are two pictures, from the first and second monitor.

First:
27z9poy.jpg

Second:
29zo8le.jpg

Last edited:
This benq will accept overclocked input, but won't display more frames, will drop extra frames. I believe it's been answered several times already.

Back