Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

This was my biggest concern about high resolutions screens for a lot of time. This 32" @ 2560x1440 is just perfect for text.

I use it for coding, graphic design and gaming. This screen has a great balance in all those areas, so for me is the perfect screen at a great value.

Yeah, I'm sure if I played a bunch of fast FPS games I would be bothered by how slow this monitor is, but for stuff like path of exile it works fine. And my eyes don't burn after I sat in front of it for more than 15-20 minutes.

Comparing the dot pitch of a 30" at 2560x1600 vs the 32" 2560x1440 offerings doesn't seem like much of a difference. Considering I end up using Windows scaling to 125% on a 30" monitor, I'm curious if one of these 32"ers might help me live w/ 100% scaling and be happy with the text sizes. Do those coming from 30" monitors notice a nice difference in text readability?

Getting old is fun. <squint>What's that say?

Comparing the dot pitch of a 30" at 2560x1600 vs the 32" 2560x1440 offerings doesn't seem like much of a difference. Considering I end up using Windows scaling to 125% on a 30" monitor, I'm curious if one of these 32"ers might help me live w/ 100% scaling and be happy with the text sizes. Do those coming from 30" monitors notice a nice difference in text readability?

I can read the text at 100% scaling at 3ft away just as easily as I could with my 24" 1080p around 2ft away. I don't remember how small it was when I had a 30" 1600p but I do remember having to lean forward to read pretty often.

I had a U3011 prior to getting the BL3200PT. The text on the 30" did seem kind of small at times and took a lot of getting used to. The text on the BenQ is slightly easier to read IMO; it's just about the perfect size for these 34 year old eyes. Of course it all depends on your viewing distance...if you sit too far away, any text is going to seem small.

The dot pitch of these 32" displays almost exactly matches that of a 24" 1920x1200 display.
I find the text very readable at 100%, but you do want to re-run the ClearType calibration tool after switching to a new monitor under Windows.

As for comparing to a 30" 2560x1600 display; well, I've got a 30" Apple Cinema display at work, and I have to sit quite a bit closer to that than I need to do with the 32" Benq.

As someone who is currently on a 3011, I am seriously considering this monitoring (or one of the upcoming 34's).

I very nearly bit at the Qnix version at $500AU (very cheap!) but there was very little feedback on here or at overclock that was positive, and the sale has now ended. The Benq is priced at 799 AU and the Samsung version at around 700, but from what I've seen the Benq looks like a worthy upgrade given USB 3/a better stand. It's a lot extra to pay for the same panel but at least I'll have local warranty.

I also have a Crossover 27Q glossy (which I use at my workplace) which I absolutely love and I would jump at something like that if it came in at 2560x1600 or 32".

How does this monitor compare to the Dell 30's/27" Koreans? I work from home heaps so this will be my workhorse, and I'll also be gaming on it a bit (I haven't been bothered by the response times on my Dell so hoping the Benq will be similar).

What are your reasons for wanting to move on from the 3011?

I have previously owned a Dell 3007, 3008, and U3011. Recently sold the U3011 because I was primarily using my Samsung 27" 120hz monitor to game on and the U3011 wasn't getting much use. Then I read about the BL3200PT and thought I would try it because I wasn't totally happy with the blacks that I was getting from the Dell or the Samsung. I've had the BenQ for a few weeks now and haven't turned on the Samsung once...it is that good. I then purchased another U3011 to take to work to replace my setup of two smaller 1080p screens (should have just kept the first one and avoided that hassle, but eh). So I get to use the U3011 and the BL3200PT almost every day of the week and while I'm glad to have the BenQ at home...to be honest I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it is from the U3011, depending on what you want.

Larger, more readable text? Check.
MUCH better black levels? Check.

But other than that, the two are similar in a lot of ways. Both have beautiful color reproduction and are of comparable size and resolution. I would consider one of those 34" monitors to be a true upgrade to the U3011, whereas the BL3200PT is more of a side-grade. And that's not a knock against it because I'm absolutely in love with the monitor...it's just that the U3011 is very good in its own right and offers a lot of what the BenQ does. So tell us more about what you're currently unhappy with and what you want out of a monitor.

Thanks for the feedback. There's nothing specifically wrong with the Dell 3011 - it looks pretty good but I find (as many people have said) that the Crossover 27Q I have really 'pops' and looks very clear. I understand that may be because it's glossy but I was hoping that I could something that woudl be similar to that, but in the size of the Dell.

And there's the 'upgrade itch' as well - I would be considering the AOC/LG 34's as well but desk real estate is a bit of an issue for me and I'd like to keep a secondary monitor to the side of it for notes/work. I'm not sure I would be able to fit that with the 34", and there seems to be many QC issues.

From your comments though the AOC 34" would be a better buy for me, give it's only an extra $100 over the BenQ if I can fit i on my desk!

So i'm considering picking up one of these Benq 32's, and though I don't play FPS games competitively I do still like to play them on occasion. Coming from a U3011, will I really notice a difference in lag between the Benq and the Dell?

So i'm considering picking up one of these Benq 32's, and though I don't play FPS games competitively I do still like to play them on occasion. Coming from a U3011, will I really notice a difference in lag between the Benq and the Dell?

You'll notice significantly less lag than on the dell.

Yeah, I'm sure if I played a bunch of fast FPS games I would be bothered by how slow this monitor is, but for stuff like path of exile it works fine. And my eyes don't burn after I sat in front of it for more than 15-20 minutes.

The fastest game that I am playing with this monitor, where the input lag is critical, is Pinball FX. And, as far as you play at 60fps I don't have any issues with it. I think that the input lag could be an issue if you are going to play FPS games online, but i don't :)

But other than that, the two are similar in a lot of ways. Both have beautiful color reproduction and are of comparable size and resolution. I would consider one of those 34" monitors to be a true upgrade to the U3011, whereas the BL3200PT is more of a side-grade. And that's not a knock against it because I'm absolutely in love with the monitor...it's just that the U3011 is very good in its own right and offers a lot of what the BenQ does. So tell us more about what you're currently unhappy with and what you want out of a monitor.

I might have liked the U3011 I had if I got one of the late revisions that weren't grainy pieces of shit. That AG coating literally made my eyes water.

I might have liked the U3011 I had if I got one of the late revisions that weren't grainy pieces of shit. That AG coating literally made my eyes water.

Yeah. My first one was a rev. A01 or A02 and the AG coating was pretty damn bad. The A08 that I'm using now is much better, but the BenQ is still superior in that regard.

Yeah I've got an A06 and its not terrible, but I'd prefer it if it weren't there obviously.

Hopefully the Benq is on display somewhere so I can compare

So I'm interested in getting this, originally was after BL2710PT I mostly use my monitor for watching movies and games. Currently using PB278Q. Is the difference in black levels way better then the BL2710PT? I mean I no it is but is watching movies on this thing a million times better for dark scenes? and games like Skyrim at night time. and if lying on a bed quite far away would picture still look alright?

Thanks for input.

So I'm interested in getting this, originally was after BL2710PT I mostly use my monitor for watching movies and games. Currently using PB278Q. Is the difference in black levels way better then the BL2710PT? I mean I no it is but is watching movies on this thing a million times better for dark scenes? and games like Skyrim at night time. and if lying on a bed quite far away would picture still look alright?

Thanks for input.
I can't answer your specific questions, but being a VA panel there is off-centre contrast shift. The viewing angles are not as good as the AHVA panel in the BL2710PT, but the improved contrast ratio and black levels should make dark scenes in movies and games alike look a lot better in general than on an IPS-type panel like the AHVA.

I can't answer your specific questions, but being a VA panel there is off-centre contrast shift. The viewing angles are not as good as the AHVA panel in the BL2710PT, but the improved contrast ratio and black levels should make dark scenes in movies and games alike look a lot better in general than on an IPS-type panel like the AHVA.

Thanks for that, hmm yeah off-centre contrast shift I think I read something about that... given I can only use my imagination, I assume this means if you move your head to far to the left or right and not in the middle optimal area of the screen. The constrast doesn't look at it's intended level so looks weird.. would that be a good assumption for it?

Would there be much of a difference in viewing angles between the PB278Q and the BL2710PT.. I guess it's hard for me to try and estimate what amount of loss of viewing angels I would be getting from using my PB278Q to this new monitor. I can watch my current monitor from a fair distance away not optimal but with this one I'm worried I will try and do the same and see like hazzy white or something that detracts from the experience and may force me to always have to sit dead center of the screen.

I think I was reading in TFT that the BL2710PT and this monitor both have the same pixel response times, not 100% would be good if they both did seen as I understand the BL2710PT seems to be fastest. Just read something about off-centre contrast shift some one was suggesting that unless your a professional most average users or people wouldn't even be able to perceive the off-centre contrast shift would that be accurate statement?

Last edited:
No, anyone would notice it. As you move your head laterally you can see the image's constrast change.

It's also tough to get away from it on a display this size unless you have a humongous desk and can sit way back.

Last edited:
No, anyone would notice it. As you move your head laterally you can see the image's constrast change.

It's also tough to get away from it on a display this size unless you have a humongous desk and can sit way back.

I agree with what you said here. I noticed it quite a bit, due to the size of the monitor. I was sitting about 2.5 feet away, probably needed to move it back at least another foot to help with this issue.. I found it distracting, but not a deal breaker. I ended up sending the monitor back though because mine had horrible uniformity issues, vertical banding in particular, that I kept noticing when gaming or on the web.

The samsung arrived today. It definitely doesn't have the premium feel of the BenQ (more plasticky, though nonetheless its quite solid) but the picture is better. Not as much vertical banding and the contrast is a bit better at 2800:1 on this particular unit. And its quiet!

There arent speakers which is fine by me. I also like the physical buttons but i do miss the BenQ's remote and the placement on the USB ports is retarded (all the way in the back).

Sorry for not reading all the posts, w123, may I know which Samsung monitor are you talking about? A 32" one?

Yep, sorry should have reiterated.

I really miss the BenQ as it had a thinner bezel and much sleeker design. But the Samsung doesnt have the issue with the popping/tapping sound.

can anybody post pics or video of them playing games and tell me how was Black Label is and how it compares to the Korean 1440 P monitors?

The samsung arrived today

Notice how the bottom silver bezel makes blacks look much darker near the bottom vs. the top? The S27D850T I tested has the same bezel which ruins the perceived black depth. Blacks look light compared to the black bezel, and much darker near the bottom thanks to the silver bezel. Also, can you test for LED PWM Dimming with this test? The S27D850T is PWM free down to 30% brightness=172cmd/2.

can anybody post pics or video of them playing games and tell me how was Black Label is and how it compares to the Korean 1440 P monitors?
Youtube=compressed, 30fps video with a few other variables which can greatly effect the quality, but Linus made a BL3200PT overview. All of the new Korean 27" 1440p AH-IPS monitors, including the Yamakasi Black Labels use Plasma Deposition Coating which makes blacks look grey.

Notice how the bottom silver bezel makes blacks look much darker near the bottom vs. the top? The S27D850T I tested has the same bezel which ruins the perceived black depth. Blacks look light compared to the black bezel, and much darker near the bottom thanks to the silver bezel. Also, can you test for LED PWM Dimming with this test? The S27D850T is PWM free down to 30% brightness=172cmd/2.

Youtube=compressed, 30fps video with a few other variables which can greatly effect the quality, but Linus made a BL3200PT overview. All of the new Korean 27" 1440p AH-IPS monitors, including the Yamakasi Black Labels use Plasma Deposition Coating which makes blacks look grey.

The blacks if anything look a bit better than the BenQ and less washed out as I move my head away from the center. But then again the contrast on the last BenQ wasn't as good as the Samsung or the first BenQ. And the banding on this one is less than the first two BenQs.

I guess i can see the black depth perception issue happening to some people though, but i tend not to look in the upper corners as much especially on a display this big. When I move to a new apartment im definitely going to get a bigger desk, as i am sitting too close to this 32" beast.

Ill try your PWM test and report back.

So what am i looking for if there is PWM with this test?

edit: im at 15% brightness and see a few lines per wave, guesing it means it has PWM.

Last edited:
I ended up having to return my 3200PT, after about a week it developed really bad banding on the right side, on a white text document it was like a 3" strip of gray from top to bottom. Very very distracting, it sucks that it ended up that way because I was really happy with it too.

I ended up having to return my 3200PT, after about a week it developed really bad banding on the right side, on a white text document it was like a 3" strip of gray from top to bottom. Very very distracting, it sucks that it ended up that way because I was really happy with it too.

How was games on it? Colors? Im looking to replace my korean 1440p

Has anyone here tryed the Dell U3014 and this Benq?
Wich one should I choose for gaming movies and net browsing? Advantages of each?

Thanks!

Wich one should I choose for gaming movies and net browsing? Advantages of each?

Thanks!

To me, the U3014 is ok if you're just doing text work or reading. But any kind of gaming and the massive pixel overdrive is awful. IMO they are not even comparable, especially since the BenQ is like $500 cheaper in most places. I would go with the 3200PT every time presuming you got one without banding.

Thanks!

The U3014 is absolutely awful in comparison as it's a wide gamut monitor which means colors will be largely oversaturated unless used in it's sRGB mode. The U3014 also suffers from strong overshoot, poor quality control, is overpriced, and suffers from more pronounced IPS glow as a result of being a large wide gamut panel.

OK everyone thinks that this monitor is great and also has complete distortion bandings even visible while looking at a piece of crap website.

am i missing something?

for 700 dollars, am i missing something?

It looked like what i should be saving for until i see all these posts about it screwed up.

The banding seems to be hit or miss...or maybe some people are more sensitive to it than others.

w123 bought the Samsung version and said the banding wasn't as bad, but that's only one sample. If there was a thread for the Samsung as large as this one, we might get a better view of how the issue affects that unit.

Very happy with my BenQ; my experience was better than that of some others in this thread.

Yeah it wil vary on each unit. First BenQ had very light banding which was only noticeable at certain times. 2nd one was pretty bad and i could even see them during gaming. The samsung is not noticeable except in MS paint.

Just got my Benq in...I'm gonna hook it up and play bf4 and wasteland 2...I'll let u guys know what i think it a bit. (if anyone cares)

Played some bf4 on it ans wasteland..The picture quality looks as good as my korean IPS but with better black levels. I dont have a calibration tool. Im using sRGB with lower brightness. Overall I'm happy with it for the price...this is coming from someone who bought the lg 34um95 and sent it back. I'm gonna keep the benq...I still need to get a ICC file for it.

Played some bf4 on it ans wasteland..The picture quality looks as good as my korean IPS but with better black levels. I dont have a calibration tool. Im using sRGB with lower brightness. Overall I'm happy with it for the price...this is coming from someone who bought the lg 34um95 and sent it back. I'm gonna keep the benq...I still need to get a ICC file for it.

You might want to try the ICC profile on tftcentral: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Back