Before Making a Thread About Buying a PSU....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I may(or may not) have a problem.

Not too long ago I PM'd Ice Czar about an appropriate PSU for my system (which, at the time, I had a 12V ATX connector for the mobo). He told me to run the numbers and I ran the numbers then decided that an Antec Truepower 430 would be easily sufficient for my rig.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I just finished with a massive overhaul of my system and the new mobo I bough (A7N8X-E deluxe) has no 12V ATX connector. Well I guess this changes everything. Now my 12V rail is of virtually no importance as my CPU seems (at least according to Takaman) to be running entirely of the 5V rail.

Basically here's my PSU specs:
12V@26A
5V@36A
3.3V@28A

And here's my new Takaman read out with the new mobo taken into account (I'm also assuming that my gfx card is a 6800nu in order to take into account for a future possible upgrade):

http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PaQGQbdHbSkT6ULkG5@BDPHTZAZavPGMZ&english

I'm also taking into account that my 5V rail will loose ~30% of its capacity due to high temps. This effectively brings my 5V rail down to 25A which is lower than the max requirements of my new rig.

Plz tell me if I'm in trouble.

thats real close with 25A on a derated supply
to 26A theoretical maximum

most all those amps are on the CPU, and you have to consider that those figures are generally derived from the maximum thermal design figures, thus there is alot of conservative guesswork in your figures, a nice thing for planning but there is a little room for the realworld

the only time I think youd need to be worried would be if your system falls under serious thermal stress, like the AC breaking down while your running it upstairs in a poorly ventialted room durning a heatwave and your maxig it all out with a marathon gaming session
at which point the PSU is going to be just one of a few problems your likely to have :p

that sort of thing ;)

Ice Czar said:
thats real close with 25A on a derated supply
to 26A theoretical maximum

most all those amps are on the CPU, and you have to consider that those figures are generally derived from the maximum thermal design figures, thus there is alot of conservative guesswork in your figures, a nice thing for planning but there is a little room for the realworld

the only time I think youd need to be worried would be if your system falls under serious thermal stress, like the AC breaking down while your running it upstairs in a poorly ventialted room durning a heatwave and your maxig it all out with a marathon gaming session
at which point the PSU is going to be just one of a few problems your likely to have :p

that sort of thing ;)
Okay, thanks for the help.

Just one other Q: howcome when I add up the 5V rail usage manually with a calculator it only reads 21.99A and yet Takaman says that the 5V line max is 26A?

I'm just wondering if there could be some kind of conservative assumptions built into the calculator so that it deliberately overstates the Amps.

first take, its factoring in that the +3.3V and +5V rails actually have a shared capacity
there are a handful of supplies where they are truely independent however like the Antec True Power Series (including the Neopower)

so its probably adding your +3.3V amperage to the +5V rail
as they are often rated independently (thats where the combined +3.3V and +5 wattage is so important for older nmobos powering the CPU off those rails)

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/output_Power.htm

Okay I understand.

So basically, Overclocking is out of the question for me until I get a new PSU.

that would be hard to say
see the 33% derating we do is pure guesswork, because we dont get to actually see the real derating curves, alternately the Thermal Design Power Figures are as close as the CPU manufacturers come to power consumption figures for the end user as well, likely they are overstated as well for safety

two of the main components that make up those conservative figures I mentioned
add in the actual operating termperature, and the likely fact you wouldnt be hitting even the realworld worsecase senerio baseline all that often, and you might be able to overclock
any issue would be real intermittent, or simply limiting to the upper overclock you could stabilize

the main reason PCP&C Turbo Cools are so widely adopted by overclockers, is that its basically as good as it gets, so its an attempt with serious overclockers to eliminate that variable when pursuing the highest overclock they can manage

I'm upgrading soon and need a little help. This is the biggest upgrade I've partaken in (P3->A64) as well as being the first AMD rig I've ever had. I'm a little tight on funds and at the moment I am look at a cheap PSU to fill the void till I have the money for something decent and powerful, which if all goes right should be about a month and a half or so.

Specs are as follows.
A64 2800+
256MB Crucial DDR PC2100
PCI Geforce MX440 SE
MSI K8T Neo FSR
Sony 32X8X24 CD-RW
Seagate 80GB HDD

I plan to upgrade quite a bit as the money comes in. I've been looking at PSUs trying to decide which to get and using Takaman's PSU calculator.

Heres my result for Takaman;
http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PaQDQbRQSuTjVFXAZAZavPCMZ&english

Heres the PSU I'm considering.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-485&depa=0

I think it will work, but I just need a little re-assurance. Should I get this or spend a little more and get something a little more high wattage?

I dont require much, I dont overclock and gaming is limited,.

that would be plenty and is a good reliable PSU
I would make sure to double check your mobo has no +12V Auxillary connector however

as far as an upgrade path, well Id take advantage of getting a real good ATX12V v1.3 for that config at a real reasonable price
and get another PSU (v2.0) for any new system

I am getting a new power supply in the next few days and wasn't sure which power supply to get. My specs are:
MSI k8n neo2
AMD 3500+
BFG 6800gt oc
74gig raptor
30 gig pata (don't remember the speed, but will probably get like a 160gig SATA in the next few months)
I will also be getting new ram (since the stuff I have right now is crap and was supposed to hold me over til college refund came around). I think I'm going to get either Corsair's new Xpert ram with the alpha-numeric display or the 3200xl pro. I have 3 case fans, 2 120mm and 1 80mm. I was thinking about getting an OCZ powerstream 420, but wasn't sure if that would be enough. I definately want something that looks decent in my case, but I hear the modstreams aren't very good power supplies. I don't really want to spend much over $120 either. Any suggestions would be great. Thank in advanced

pc power and cooling 425 deluxe would be absolutley perfect for your needs. I believe it's around $125, and is an incredible psu.

Would 20a on the 12v even be enough for what I got? I just want to be on the safe side. Price is also $150. Not sure if I want to spend that much (wife may/may not divorce me).

Also, I noticed the silencer series are cheaper power supplies. How good are those? Quiet is always good with me as well.

20amps on pcp&c is about 35 amps on another company. This has to do with the way they are rated. It is MORE than enough. I had mine running a p4 @ 3.8ghz, 6800 ultra, 1GB memory, dual 160GB 7200rpm drives raided, and a whole bunch of fans, and 2 CC and the thing never even spun up.

The silencers are good, but not as good as the turbocool's. I would really reccomend this supply. If you want I can post pics of it, I have both it and the 510 deluxe.

ok, i've spent about the past three days reading up on power supplies. i've read so much stuff that my brain is completely fried, and now i really just need some help.

here's the deal. i just graduated college and my dad has agreed to buy me a new computer. since he is giving me a hefty budget, i'm waiting for nforce4 and sli (i know there are some out now, but i'm waiting for abit and for prices to go down). i decided i wanted to get a new case and power supply now and get all the other stuff down the road.

i did basically no research (i know, shame on me) before i finally decided to buy the ultra x-connect (yeah, yeah, yeah, no flames please). i have since realized that this psu is basically crap. i can still send it back to where i bought it from, but of course i'll have to pay a restocking fee and shipping, grr.

i am totally about eye candy, and i want my case to look nice. that is how i got suckered into the x-connect (that and pc gamer gave it a good review, which is basically all i read on it). so, here is the system i am planning on running:

nforce4 sli board
athlon 64 fx-55
1 gb corsair xms xpert memory
2x geforce 6800 gts
2x seagate 400 gb w/ncq @ 3 gb/s (not out yet, hopefully soon)
plextor dual layer px716-sa dvd burner
5x 80mm case fans

obviously i didn't use much forward thinking because i didn't even realize that i would probably need a 24 pin atx connector and pci-express connectors. i could always use adapters, but those always look like crap and take up extra room. i've tried to use those power calculators, but they don't have any of the newer components like nforce4. like i said, i've looked at nothing but power supply stuff for the last three days, and i think i have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

ocz modstream 500w - i like how the ocz modstream looks (not as good as the ultra, but comparable), but i've heard bad things about those exploding too. this one only has one pci-express connector, so i'll have to use an adapter.

fortron blue storm 500w - next, i saw this fortron blue storm. to be honest, i've never heard of this company, but ice czar says they're pretty good. this doesn't look as good as the modstream, but still would match the theme of my case (blue). this one isn't modular, which sucks.

pc p&c turbo-deluxe 510 sli - lastly is, of course, the pc power and cooling turbo-deluxe 510 sli. i've never heard of these guys either, but they're the best from what i hear. i know this one will be good for powering the system, and it has two pci-express connectors, but it's not that appealing. as i have said, i'm all about the eye candy. i don't want to do any painting/modding to it though, because i need that warranty.

hopefully i'm not out of line in posting this here. i'm just so drained that i needed to ask for help instead of searching the forums any more.

should i just say screw the looks and go with the pc p&c or what?

cowgod said:
ok, i've spent about the past three days reading up on power supplies. i've read so much stuff that my brain is completely fried, and now i really just need some help.

here's the deal. i just graduated college and my dad has agreed to buy me a new computer. since he is giving me a hefty budget, i'm waiting for nforce4 and sli (i know there are some out now, but i'm waiting for abit and for prices to go down). i decided i wanted to get a new case and power supply now and get all the other stuff down the road.

i did basically no research (i know, shame on me) before i finally decided to buy the ultra x-connect (yeah, yeah, yeah, no flames please). i have since realized that this psu is basically crap. i can still send it back to where i bought it from, but of course i'll have to pay a restocking fee and shipping, grr.

i am totally about eye candy, and i want my case to look nice. that is how i got suckered into the x-connect (that and pc gamer gave it a good review, which is basically all i read on it). so, here is the system i am planning on running:

nforce4 sli board
athlon 64 fx-55
1 gb corsair xms xpert memory
2x geforce 6800 gts
2x seagate 400 gb w/ncq @ 3 gb/s (not out yet, hopefully soon)
plextor dual layer px716-sa dvd burner
5x 80mm case fans

obviously i didn't use much forward thinking because i didn't even realize that i would probably need a 24 pin atx connector and pci-express connectors. i could always use adapters, but those always look like crap and take up extra room. i've tried to use those power calculators, but they don't have any of the newer components like nforce4. like i said, i've looked at nothing but power supply stuff for the last three days, and i think i have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

ocz modstream 500w - i like how the ocz modstream looks (not as good as the ultra, but comparable), but i've heard bad things about those exploding too. this one only has one pci-express connector, so i'll have to use an adapter.

fortron blue storm 500w - next, i saw this fortron blue storm. to be honest, i've never heard of this company, but ice czar says they're pretty good. this doesn't look as good as the modstream, but still would match the theme of my case (blue). this one isn't modular, which sucks.

pc p&c turbo-deluxe 510 sli - lastly is, of course, the pc power and cooling turbo-deluxe 510 sli. i've never heard of these guys either, but they're the best from what i hear. i know this one will be good for powering the system, and it has two pci-express connectors, but it's not that appealing. as i have said, i'm all about the eye candy. i don't want to do any painting/modding to it though, because i need that warranty.

hopefully i'm not out of line in posting this here. i'm just so drained that i needed to ask for help instead of searching the forums any more.

should i just say screw the looks and go with the pc p&c or what?

neither of those other psu's besides pcp&c will work most likely. Not to say they aren't good. fortron is an excellent budget supply that can perform close to the big boys, and the ocz won't blow up, but the modstream isnt even as good as the powerstream, which i still wouldnt reccomend for your system. With that rig it's kinda ridiculous if you don't get a pcp&c 510 sli and a good ups.

If you want to spice up the pcp&c look here :)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2561&osCsid=a2b1c97d4504addf9943cba878696f41

they will do whatever you want to it

I wouldnt necessarily go that far
Kyle has been running his SLi setup testbed off a 500 watt Vantec
However, Id definately agree that the turbo Cool is by far the best supply in that lineup

alternately the Powerstream (over the Modstream)
another alternative Id recommend are the Enermax EG565 series, but Im not sure they are in distribution yet

computerpro3 said:
If you want to spice up the pcp&c look here :)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=2561&osCsid=a2b1c97d4504addf9943cba878696f41

they will do whatever you want to it

holy crap i think i've died and gone to heaven. it costs a pretty penny, but damn those look smooth. i wish they had some pictures of the acrylic covers... anyone know any place that has pics of different color combos?

EDIT: also, i just noticed on that website it says the pci-express connectors are for intel motherboards... will sli on an amd based board need these connectors too? i'm assuming so...

Boy I wish I read this thread sooner. Just bought the OCZ 520 Modstream. Liked the shielded cables. Seems really stable right now. Did buy an aerocool 550 watt once and used it for one week and found my system way to unstalble. Also have Antec 550 True Power which works well. Thanks for great thread.

fentzinator said:
Boy I wish I read this thread sooner. Just bought the OCZ 520 Modstream. Liked the shielded cables. Seems really stable right now. Did buy an aerocool 550 watt once and used it for one week and found my system way to unstalble. Also have Antec 550 True Power which works well. Thanks for great thread.

the modstream is a good supply that far exceeds spec
with at least a 3% load regulation
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article208-page1.html
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=855503

there are a few supplies that are better, but then there generally are :p

1. The ULTRA X-Connect is NOT manufactured by Powmax. ULTRA personally told me this in their e-mail response. They are manufactured in China.

2. That Maximum PC review of the X-Connect was BS, and unjustified. Search google to find about 20+ reviews that love it.

3. I have an X-Connect, and it's not the greatest PSU as far as stable rails go, but it's pretty good considering it's other features.

wolfman said:
1. The ULTRA X-Connect is NOT manufactured by Powmax. ULTRA personally told me this in their e-mail response. They are manufactured in China.

2. That Maximum PC review of the X-Connect was BS, and unjustified. Search google to find about 20+ reviews that love it.

3. I have an X-Connect, and it's not the greatest PSU as far as stable rails go, but it's pretty good considering it's other features.

1. This information came to light yesterday. They are manufactured by Young Year electronics, a company which is in all likelyhood powmax's equal. Besides, Ultra also claims there is 35 amps on the 12v line, do you believe that? :p

2. Why was it BS? Can you get into specifics? And search google to find more than TWO reviews that had a realisitc room temperature, measured with an oscilliscope, had controlled load testing, and dropped the input voltage. What? You can't? Actually sir, all of those other reviews are BS.

3. Features such as a 400mf capacitor @ 85C regulating the input voltage (if that, that's what most generic companies use), leaving NO margin for error whatsoever? That is why the ultra is first to fail when the input voltage is dropped, or a brownout occurs. Oh, the modular cable feature!!!!! Guess what, at each break and reconnection in the cables, half an amp of power is lost. Yup, a full half amp. Per connection.

But since you are so confident in your supply, can you please get me the information regarding the cap that regulates input voltage? I'm interested if they even met the usual industry standard of 400mf @ 85c. Thanks.

Have it hooked up to a ups, it will like serve your needs. But if you have dirty power at all, it won't.

1. the "smoking gun" evidence of having a supply listed on a "manufacturers" website is hard to ignore, and shouldnt be without hard evidence to the contrary
I uncovered evidence to that effect the day before yesterday from clues provided jonnyGURU on the Ultra forum
X-ULT500P
Is made by
Taiwan Young Year Electronics CO., Ltd.

UL Listing

wolfman said:

while the Maximum PC review was by no means comprehensive, it was flawed more by a lack of testing than the tests that where run, and while those tests where extreme, that was the point, pure and simple the Ultra X was outclassed in that group of supplies (as was the Vantec)
Now anyone with half a brain will ensure that their case operating temperature is reasonable and run a UPS, but there are alot of "enthusiasts" running ariound with less than half a brain, so the tests where indeed vaild, dropping the VAC to 60 is just a serious brownout and running at 100F not all that uncommon in summer.

It was going head to head with high performance PSUs and it simply isnt one

up till recently it wasnt that easy to picture exactly how various configs impacted a supply, but thanks to Oleg Artamonov's new test proceedurs and graphical representation of cross loading
its much easier

almost all reviews youve seen previously would have been done on what the author considered a "typical" rig, with a "typical" load, most reviews simply stop there with a software reading of the voltage fluctuation from the System Management Bus, a very few proceed to measure directly with a multimeter, they observe either in any event by running the supply through what they consider a "stress" test, unfortunately its generally a flawed concept on their part, they think that by drawing more power that its a good indication of the voltage regulation, when in most cases the opposite is true if infact they havent overloaded the supply with the config they are running, to truely test the load regulation \ transient response you want to create as great a change in the load as possible, for brownie points you also make it do that while also give the line regulation (fluctating AC current) a workout (refer to > A Technical Postscript: Output Voltage Regulation and AC Voltage)

what Oleg has done however is chart the fluctuation youd expect for the complete crossload of a supply
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology_13.html

and for each of the rails
here is his animated gif of an OCZ Powerstream 470 (a high performance supply)
id39867.gif

once he actually starts to fleshout his database its going to be an invaluable tool in here ;)

There should be an article in Maximum PC that talks about the way they test their stuff in the March issue, they might also mention the Ultra X-Connect review, as someone at Anandtech said, the person who reviewed it was not actually supposed to test it because it was like a beta product or something.

Either way now, I don't care about the Ultra X-Connect anymore, I read the review at silentpcreview.com and than I checked my rails using MSI CoreCenter and MBM5, I wasn't impressed, the 12V is consistently high. And the connections are not very tight on the unit either, bumping my case could cause one to fall out, which would be bad.

But I wanted a modular PSU with UV reactive cables, and what better than an OCZ Modstream 450W, so I ordered one from Monarch, it'll be here tomorrow. ;)

You can only hear good things about it from your typical average users (and trust me, they think they're enthusiasts but they aren't). Usually, anything as flashy as that AeroPower isn't a good thing (usually). And yeah, it's not a great PSU by far. You'll have a better chance with the OCZ ModStream.

-J.

GeForceX said:
You can only hear good things about it from your typical average users (and trust me, they think they're enthusiasts but they aren't). Usually, anything as flashy as that AeroPower isn't a good thing (usually). And yeah, it's not a great PSU by far. You'll have a better chance with the OCZ ModStream.

-J.

It was a review, not some user off the street, but I agree, thank you.

Blazin Trav said:
It was a review, not some user off the street, but I agree, thank you.

Correct it was a review, however those that reviewed it is pretty much your typical user with no great knowledge in electronics nor the correct procedure to do so. Czar's link pretty much sums it up.

-J.

this thread has been very informative and i'd like to thank the mod and his sidekick for the detailed information or i would have never knew what was going on about psu's.

just a little history about my situation. for several months and probably years i have been plagued with problems such as subpar oc'ing feats especially keeping it stable. i have always blamed my 2x512 ram or my p4 1.8b and now my p4 2.8c or the mobo.

now i have finally realize or believe anyway that all these inconveniences were actually caused by my subpar vantec 520w or for the most part. the sudden reboots and freezing....while gaming would be clearly explained.

anyway, recently about a couple of months back i was getting these weird artifacts plaguing the screen with my 9800pro and had to rma it since i couldnt figure it out. this too showed up with my 6800gt.

after closer inspecition i finally found out my psu was extremely dirty due to my lack of care after 2years or so. the lowest fan setting was not even spinning the fans! so i preceeded to set it on the highest fan setting and whala i felt tons of heat exiting the exhaust fan and i tried some games out and to my disbelief no more artifacts well just a lot less now. they just come and go every now and then. memtest and prime95 do give horizontal lines across the screen tho. i later removed the psu and cleaned it thoroughly but i think its either too late for this psu or it just isnt up to par for the hardware running. i have used an aiw 7500 and my system runs flawless no artifacts albiet slow with games.

after reading post after post i have made up my mind to get a quality psu. they are:

pcp&c - 470 silencer or 510
ocz - 520 modstream or powerstream
fortron - 530 or 500 blue storm

my concern here is having the best possible psu with some future proofness in mind. i dont have sli or any ata in use. i do intend to perhaps have some ata in the future but not a priority atm. also perhaps a sli setup also not piority. what would be the best option at the moment for me? bearing in mind i want to oc everything. i went to pcp&c site but got easily confused on what i acutally needed espeically with the ata cables and what not. also any good voltmeter recommendatoins?

current setup but not all put inplace due to inconsistencies of vantec 520a:

intel p4 2.8c
abit ic7
cosair 2x512 xms 3500
bfg 6800gt
winxp sp2
vantec stealth 520a
vantec nexus fan controller
5hdds - 2x120hdd 2x250hdd 1x160hdd all wd 8mb 720 EIDE w/ pci promise ultra card
6fans - 4 80x 2 120x
pioneer 16x dvd
liteon 52x24x52 writer
sony 21" cpd
creative audigy 2
nec pci card
generic full atx tower

thanks for making this, i bought a mge 400 watt when i go tthe parts for the rig in my sig and the pos already died on me. it will work for like 10 mins then just shut off, and the psu has a burning smell.

i hope i can return / rma+sell the pos and move into an antec/zippy/pcp&p/ocz

we will see how the money goes

classic symptoms of an overloaded supply
likely not enough amps on the +12V rail

read the How to buy a PSU sticky ;)

Hi Ice Czar, awhile back in this thread I was wondering about the Delta power supplies for my server, I have another question.

I have in front of me a redundant power module for my quad xeon server, which in a way will soon be running. I just happened to get another quad server last month, the module I have in front of me is from that server I got last month.

I see this on the side:

Autoranging input: 50/60hz
100-127v 7.6A
200-240v 3.8A
Output 375W max
+5v/ 34A max, -12v/ 1A max
+12v/ 18A max, +3.3v/ 34A max
+5vsb/ 2A max
now multiply this power supply by three, meaning I have three redundant powermodules.

I have asked my father about the power issues I must face when I decide to power this up. He said it would be fine to plug it into the regular 3-prong outlet, I think his experience of electronics is slipping.
I see that this has a autoranging input, I don't know quite what that means? I think that I might be safe with plugging it in, or maybe not.
So I need my question answered and advice.

in this case it means that it can be plugged in here or in New Zealand :p
well.... if you had a plug that fit,
autoranging mean its automatically recognizes either a standard 110\115V wall socket
or a 3 prong 220\230V without having to flick a little switch on the back of the supply
its pretty common these days

of course as always, a UPS is a good idea still

Thanks to computerpro3 for this thread. I first heard about it on the AMD boards today, and it has helped me. Before I was going to buy a 500 Watt Power Max PSU for my upcoming system, but gladly no purchases have been made so far. I am now looking at the OCZ Mod Stream 520 Watt. I have read 2 reviews on the net, both good, but they were on OCZ's site, so it's probably biased, but there have been some users here that have been saying good things about the Mod Stream series, so I am confident in choosing it.

It is rumored that the ATX12V v2.01 spec is changing yet again

the rumor is that the 4pin +12V mobo connector is going to change to the EPS12V 8 pin connector (and possibly other changes like rails) this make a whole hell of alot of sense to me, sense effectively there would then be one spec again, so Im taking it very seriously

bear that in mind when buying an "infrastructure" PSU that is going to last you through a few boxes ;)

I'll look for mo0re info and confirmation

Ice Czar,

If thats the case, then i think the Fortron 550W should be added to the list? Its the same as the Sparkle 550W just that this one is cheaper? its serving me fine, and i hear it has stronger +12V rails than the 530W Fortron?

whaddaya think? remember about the research we had about that 550W Fortron unit and the 530W one, and how much i bugged u about the connectors and all? thats when i learned from u about the 24pin connectors, EPS, 8pin aux and all, u were a great help....:)

and plz tell me whether the Zippy 500W will outperform the Fortron 550W, i mite exchange this one with that one from my friend. no costs involved. I also have to get a new PSU for my backup rig, or put this fortron for my backup rig and use the new one.

Links: Fortron , Zippy and Enermax

EDIT: and surely all of these are are better (on a purely performance standpoint) than the modstream?

thanks

I haven't seen much mention of iBest and nSpire. Does anyone know if they're just generics, new, or if they are manufactured by an established different-name company?

I was considering getting an iBest 650W AXT for my computer:

ASUS K8V Delux Athlon64 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
Cooling Fan CPU Athlon 64 $15
1Gb PC3200 - 400MHz DDR Memory
Maxtor 250G 7200 SATA150 8M
3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB
ATI X800 Pro 256MB 8X AGP Video
Black SONY 16x Speed DVD
Pioneer DVR-108 DVD±RW/±R Writer Black
Sound Blaster AUDIGY (OEM)
RaidMax Scorpio Green 420W UL Front USB

But I haven't seen many reviews for them, so I may just go with a more trusted Enermax or Fortron.. but I need to figure out how much W I will need (~450 was my guess).

I didn't see either iBest or nSpire on the avoid-list, but I wasn't sure if they were pseudonyms for another company or something. Thanks for the help, I'm just starting to read up on these different kinds of power supplies, and this forum is a good resource. :)

Good thread guys. I'm glad this was a sticky.

I'm looking for a new PS in the $75 range to power a new NF4/3200+ (non-sli) setup. I have been seeing something about how the new MB's need (prefer?) a 24-pin connector. Does anyone know how to tell if the PS's I'm looking at have that connector? versus the older-20 pin connector?

Thanks!
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back