Before Making a Thread About Buying a PSU....

Status
Not open for further replies.
computerpro3 said:
for $150 US you have absolutley no excuse for not getting the pc power and cooling 425 deluxe. It will outperform that psu and many others by a wide margin, including the Antec 550w.
Because I'm Canadian, I can't order from sites like Newegg as well as many other good PC hardware sites; and the local stores have a pretty limited selection (this is the best I can currently find).

I tried to find an Antec PSU in stores, but haven't yet.

If you know of any good online PC hardware stores that accept international orders please leave a link.

I asked earlier and almost purchased the fortron 350 but I figured out that it wont fit right in my computer, and if it did, the top fan would be touching the top of my case... != good thing with the 120mm fan on the top.

Is there a better power supply that doesnt have a fan on the top? Current one is 3.5x5.5x6 inches which is about standard. I only have about .5cm at the top between the psu and case.

My price cap is $50, this is for PC #1.

The second one would be great, it even has dual 12v lines. The antec 300w smart would ***prolly*** be fine for a few days.

And BTW the fan isn't on the top, in those pics the psu is upside down to show u the fan feature. THe fan is really on the bottom :p :)

awdark said:
I asked earlier and almost purchased the fortron 350 but I figured out that it wont fit right in my computer, and if it did, the top fan would be touching the top of my case... != good thing with the 120mm fan on the top.

Is there a better power supply that doesnt have a fan on the top? Current one is 3.5x5.5x6 inches which is about standard. I only have about .5cm at the top between the psu and case.

My price cap is $50, this is for PC #1.

On a normal pc, that fan goes on the bottom.

O.. thats why its so hard to find a power supply, my stupid case uses upside down power supplies. :rolleyes:
Note to all hard forum users, never get a gazelle case from frys justpc psu in it is crap and the case is crap.

Thanks for the advice, Ill go order a power supply.

Hello, this is my first post and I would value any feedback on my question. Let me preface it by saying that, going by most of the other posts here I have limited technical knowledge and don't really understand a lot of whats said, so please try and bear with me.

I would like advice on if I should keep or return a new Athlon 64 3000+ pc with a 300W Sparkle power supply, integrated video and 1Mb PC3200 ram, recently purchased from
Future Shop. I plan to use the integrated video for now & get a Radeon X800XT when I can afford it & Doom3 & HL2.

Then I started to read that I may need a bigger psu, around 350W+ to acommodate the video card. I also read (in the Sticky FAQ) that the Sparkle 300W psu is a pretty good one with 18 amps on the 12v rail so I'm thinking it might just be OK with a X800XT. Is 18 amps enough? The pc was a good deal and I'd like to keep it if it works but need to make decision soon while I can still return it. None of the local sellers have the X800XT in stock at the moment so I just can't buy one and see how it works.

I'm not sure if I'd be happy with the performance of a lesser video card with these games on a future 17-19 in monitor, I'll investigate that in the video forum but if you have any comments on that issue........

Normally I keep a pc 2-3 years before upgrading but my old Dell 1Ghz with Radeon 8500 is now over 3 years old and is due for replacement. If I return the new one I'll probably just stick with my old one until prices come down to my range on a better pc but I don't know what the psu specs & ratings are in other pcs. What do you think - will the Sparkle do the job, keep or return?

TIA

the 300w is too underpower dof an a64 and x800xt. IT's fine for what you have now (integrated video), but a video card adds another 80+ watts. When you only haved a 300w psu, thats not good.

But don't fear, you don't have to replace the computer. THe easiest thing in the world is to install a new power supply. Whats your budget? Let us know and we can help you pick out the best psu for you and your rig. I will tell you this: if you plan on keeping that machine for 2-3 years, 350w will NOT cut it.

WElcome to the forums BTW :)

Thanks for the reply & the welcome. Not sure if I want to replace a psu in a new pc, probably more out of principle than anything. I'd probably rather return it and get a better one with a bigger psu - once a suitable one comes into my price range. Any other opinions?

Grisby said:
Thanks for the reply & the welcome. Not sure if I want to replace a psu in a new pc, probably more out of principle than anything. I'd probably rather return it and get a better one with a bigger psu - once a suitable one comes into my price range. Any other opinions?

He's dead on the money. However, since a new PSU is only necessary when you get the X800XT, and they're not exactly widely available, I don't see why not keep this PC. You may want to talk to whoeveryouboughtitfromcomputers and see about getting them to upgrade your PSU, but leave the rest of the computer alone. That way everybody wins.

have you ever done it before? There is four screws. Yup, thats it. You won't even void the warranty most likely, although I would check before you do it if you're concerned about that (although the x800xt would void it too if a new psu does).

etruscan said:
You may want to talk to whoeveryouboughtitfromcomputers and see about getting them to upgrade your PSU, but leave the rest of the computer alone. That way everybody wins.

Great suggestion! Just don't go on what they say is good, they will prolly throw a raidmax in there. Be sure to let us ok their suggestion first!

Thanks for the suggestions. Taking a different tak, any suggestions on the best performing video card I could put in considering the Althon 64 and the 18 amps available on the 12v rails?

Just wanted to make a note of the above...

The Sparkle 350 with the 2 12v lines has a 24pin atx connector.. doesnt work on my motherboard.. I figured that out today when I couldnt get it to fit properly... damn capacitor.

doesn't it come with a 24-20 pin convertor? If not you can get them easily, and moer importantly, cheaply.

SJetski71 said:
The TTGI units often go on sale for insanely low prices and they're a good middle-of-the-road psu imho.

I don't know how I missed this before, the TTGI units are solid. DO you know of a reputable store to buy them as NEwegg doesn't carry them? They will certainly be added to this list.

Update: I just added every single zippy/emacs psu newegg carries including a 700w with 45amps on the 12v line :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Antec rates their power supplies according to maximum peak output @ 20C internal psu temp. Two problems with that. The stated hold up time @ full load of the psu by antec is 20ms. So, at full load the psu will shut down after 20ms. It is also important to know that is heat inside power supplies increases, the power it can put out decreases. For example, an antec trupower 550 @ 40C only produces around 360-380w real power compared to 550w @ 20c (I am using the 550 as an example because I don't want to do the math for a 480w psu, I have a graph in front of me for the 550w). And keep in mind we're still talking about the 20ms hold up time. Also antec's line tolerances are listed at 3%

Now Pc Power and Cooling, while having the same common 20ms hold up time under full load that all high end psu's have (and don't get me wrong, the neopower is a high end psu), does not rate their psu's according to how long they last at 20ms. They rate their psu's at how long they can put out constant power for an indefinite amount of time, called sustained maximum output.
They also rate their psu's at a much more accurate 40C internal temperature. Let me ask you a question...is the inside of your case around 15C? Because if it isn't, the Antec is going to be putting out much closer to 360 watts than it will be 550 watts. Also the pc power and cooling supply has a 1% line tolerance.

Basically here is how to equalize the ratings: @ 20C pc power and cooling 510 deluxe can put out 650w+. The peak output is listed in fine print on the label of the psu in small print under the maximum sustained output. The Antec puts out 480w under that circumstances. Now pump the temp up to where its actually realistic for the inside of a PSU, 40C, and you have 510 watts sustained compared to 360 for the 550 truepower, and perhaps less than that for the neopower (but the neopower will still have more amps and stability than the 550, despite the less wattage)

From http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=821239&page=3&pp=20
In response to longballmaniac's question (the Fortron outperforming other PSUs)

(This quote is from computerpro3)

Now this is PPC&C... but I think the Fortron may also use a conservative rating method, at least in comparison to Antec. After seeing this, and looking at the PPC&C web site, I found the Silencer series (up to 470W) to be a good buy (up to $100), and there are "Turbo" models for users with even bigger power requirements.

xxaaqq said:
From http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=821239&page=3&pp=20
In response to longballmaniac's question (the Fortron outperforming other PSUs)

(This quote is from computerpro3)

Now this is PPC&C... but I think the Fortron may also use a conservative rating method, at least in comparison to Antec. After seeing this, and looking at the PPC&C web site, I found the Silencer series (up to 470W) to be a good buy (up to $100), and there are "Turbo" models for users with even bigger power requirements.

qft

the fortron rates very conservativley (sp?). The silencers are great psu's too.

Good point: most psu reviewers can't do a review to save their lives.

I just went through every newegg psu again and added all the good ones that came out since I last updated the guide. I prolly added around 15 new ones.

Now that I've happened upon a thread about the Fortron Blue Storm 500W for just $92 shipped, I'm kind of wishing I had gotten that instead of the Antec NeoPower 480W... though it's a good bit less than the $150 you have it listed for ($115 shipped from NewEgg). About the same amount of power and cables, but pre-sleeved, very nice looking, and cheaper. Just giving up the removable cabling feature... which hasn't done much of anything to make for a clean cable setup, as can be seen...

srry, fixed price. That high price on the antec was from when it first came out.

and ya, the fortron is a wicked nice looking psu.

computerpro3 said:
NOTE: I have re-located the do not buy list in my sig to here:

Do not buy a psu from the following companies !!!!!!!

Aspire, Demon, Deer, Powmax, Power-Up, Eagle, X-superalien, Raidmax, L&C, Power-Man, Allied, Achieve, Codegen, Antec Smartpower (trupowers are fine, the smartpowers won't blow up, but will limit upgradability and stability in high end machines), MGE, PCMICS, Allied, JustPC, InWin, E-power (except Tagan series), X-treme, Dynapower, Coolmax, Kingwin, Linkworld, low end Thermaltakes, Turbo, Aerocool, Devanni.

These will ALL likely kill your pc. Its only a matter of time.

B.S. ! I had a Raidmax that came with my case for about 3 years before I replaced it and it never killed my machine. So basically this is an opinion thread. I am sure all companies have killed a few machines.

ahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahhaahhahhahhhhhahhahahhhhahahhhahahhhahhahha

1 out of 100 chance that it DOESNT kill your machine. I can't actually believe you think raidmax's are good....

are you joking around? Seriously?

oh....my bad, now you have an mge, I guess your serious..

>WP< $lipKnot said:
B.S. ! I had a Raidmax that came with my case for about 3 years before I replaced it and it never killed my machine. So basically this is an opinion thread. I am sure all companies have killed a few machines.

Alright, I have to weigh in on this one. You have anecdotal evidence that a RaidMax exists which did not explode. So, you think, because of this that they are good power supplies?

I mean, really, if I told you that I had a Ford Pinto, and it kept me safe in a major crash, would you believe that it was just an opinion that Ford Pintos are fiery death boxes? (Ford Pintos are the cars, that when rammed from behind burst into flames because of the omission of one $0.10 washer).

Come on, you're being stupid.

it know appears that Ultras-X connect PSUs are rebranded POWmax supplies

thanks Kain ;)

and

larrymoencurly said:
The Finnish Safety Technology Authority monitors the market for unsafe and possibly hazardous equipment/materials in Finland.

It has recently issued the following statement about
Tagan TG330-U01 (Topower Electronics Co Ltd, China):

http://www.tukes.fi/cgi-bin/myyntikiellot/tiedot.cfm?id=3753

Summarizing the important points here (from Finnish):

- Not immediately dangerous, but safety level is very low.
- insulation gap between primary and secondary coils too narrow
- insulation pipe from primary coil too short
- does not pass voltage strength test at 3000Vac/1 minute (between primary output and secondary). Fails at 1800V.

Conclusion: The importer has been notified to remove the product from market. The product may be returned [for refund I assume] as defective to the place of purchase [in Finland].

This is just FYI.

I don't see any immediate super-alarm, but some of you like to know these things anyway.

TTG-480U01 has not been listed as 'unsafe' nor do I know for sure if it's been fully tested by the same authority.

The full list of "unsafe" or "potentially hazardous, but not immediately dangerous" PSUs as deemed by the Finnish Safety Tehnology Authority is as follows:

- Deer DR-A300ATX (Deet Computer Co. Ltd)
- CP4 CTX350WCE
- Macron MPT-350 (Macron Power)
- Q-Tec ST-400P4-DTCF (Q-Tec, China)
- Mentor AM608B1-300WS (Achme Electronics Corp.)
- Q-Tec ST-400ATX P4 (Q-Tec, China)
- Codegen 300X ATX 2.03 P4 (Codegen)
- Task TK-930TX (Task International Inc.)
- ADT ADT-300 (ADT, China)
- ADT ADT-250 (ADT, China)
- Tagan TG330-U01 (ToPower Electronics Co Ltd, China)

Damn I like definative information :D
thanks larrymoencurly :)

wow, huge news about ultra x. Now I feel vindicating reccomending people to stay away from them and enduring many flames :p Do you think that warrants a spot on the stay away from list? IMHO I think it does (I almost put it on several times before, after reading posts claiming "mine died twice, but it looks sweet!"), but with all the !!!!!!s for it I want more opinions.

larrymoencurly knows his stuff, he hangs out on ocforums a lot. Good info.

hey Kain, or Ice, can I have the info that links ultra to powmax? We're trying to figure it out for sure over @ ocforums. Thanks!

What should i be looking for in a power supply to run 8 200GB Seagate SATA hard drives, 2 raptors, and 2 DVDRW drives and a high end video card? I have a Lian Li PC-V2000 case?

Chaotic Master said:
What should i be looking for in a power supply to run 8 200GB Seagate SATA hard drives, 2 raptors, and 2 DVDRW drives and a high end video card? I have a Lian Li PC-V2000 case?

Id recommend a PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 for a monster like that
alternately a server class supply, typically N+1
I happen to run both in different rigs

youve got a 20 amp draw on the +12V rail with just the drives
(if they are in an array, see if there is a delayed spinup option from the controller
the spinup draw is about 2 amps per, but the runtime draw is a quarter of that)
a 510 will do 34A with a 38A peak draw at 40C (its rated at 40C unlike most supplies)
but you still need to run the numbers to determine what the draw of the other components might be
a PCP&C will run about $200, while N+1 supplies are really outrageous
Id recommend Zippy Emacs
http://www.zippy.com.tw/P_PRODUCT_L...Redundant&lv_rfnbr=2&data_p_pro_listeinpage=2
http://www.zippy.com.tw/P_Budget.asp?lv_rfnbr=2

is this for a ATX12V or an EPS12V?
there are a few $400 > $500, 700 > 850 watt PCP&C EPS12V supplies comin down the pike
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=830217

hey guys, i was wondering on which power supply i should use. I just upgrade my computer to a 3ghz p4 HT, 256mb ram, 40gb hd, either a Geforce 6800 or Radeon 9800xt video card, Asus mobo with a cooler master case w/ 2 case fans and 1 added on in the future. I'm going to upgrade the HD and RAM asap, and i plan on having a nice video card. I was wondering if 400w would be enough, or with my ram, hd, and fan upgrade coming up in the future would something a bit more be better. I was looking at the 480w Thermaltake, but wasn't sure which one to go with. I'd like to keep this price pretty low, below 70 or 80, specially with xmas coming up, thanks guys.

Ice Czar said:

and ideally start another thread
with the raw numbers for the amps per rail of that config
along with additional considerations
like, is it just for this computer or do you want it to last into the next gen of boards
do you have any major upgrade plans (storage, graphics cards ect)
and or are you getting serious about overclocking

then PM me a link and we will hunt up a few options and weight the tradeoffs ;)

UrbN said:
hey guys, i was wondering on which power supply i should use. I just upgrade my computer to a 3ghz p4 HT, 256mb ram, 40gb hd, either a Geforce 6800 or Radeon 9800xt video card, Asus mobo with a cooler master case w/ 2 case fans and 1 added on in the future. I'm going to upgrade the HD and RAM asap, and i plan on having a nice video card. I was wondering if 400w would be enough, or with my ram, hd, and fan upgrade coming up in the future would something a bit more be better. I was looking at the 480w Thermaltake, but wasn't sure which one to go with. I'd like to keep this price pretty low, below 70 or 80, specially with xmas coming up, thanks guys.

fortron blue storm 500w will do you well

atxV2.0 compatible as opposed to many purely compliant supplies out there; it has dual 12v lines with decent amperage on each. Fortron is a well known and widely respected copmany, and will perform much better than thermaltake psu's, which you will find a wide range of opinions on (where as no one hates fortron). Personally even, I have had a 480w thermaltake psu not perform up to spec on me and fail to power my system, so I wouldn't go that way.

some new comments added in here and there and axed the OCZ 600w due to multiple video card failures being attributed to it. IIRC it is even being pulled off the market.

computerpro3 said:
This is odd, that is the exact opposite of my experiences with them. I had a Thermaltake 480w psu that my friend GAVE to me after upgrading to an antec 550w. He told me to try to sell it on the forums for $15 shipped....no one would take it so I held on to it. I tried it in my system when my antec 430 got overwhelmed and it was pure crap. The molex connectors fell out all the time (they literally fell off the pins) and the voltages were very unstable (in both directions; droops and spikes). It also had cold boot issues as it took a few seconds for the voltages to "spin up" i guess you could say (like upon turning on the pc the 12v line would read 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12). I guess I could have gotten a dud, but I didn't think so because the quality was so poor, and OBVIOUSLY poor, that I was convinced it was a Deer relabled. I eventually sold it for $15 shipped.

The Enlight 300w seemed solid, but blew out after being in use on a normal p2 600mhz system after around a year. If it can't power a 600mhz system it ain't going in my p4 system.

However if a lot of people continue to complain about enlight on the list, I will remove it.

That's odd, you base your opinion off of one Thermaltake PSU, used none the less ?
Right now I'm using a ThermalTake 480 that I've had in this pc for almost a year now & it's been nothing short of flawless. Runs extremely quiet, and works awesome. I've also bought a couple of ThermalTake 420 PSU's for friends in need & they love their's also.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back