Been a while I want to do a small upgrade on a old machine.

vvilliamm

Gawd
The current system has an amd phenom ii x2 555. I been running it at 3.6ghz i believe on a zalman cnps 9000. The machine has been going strong for a couple of years now but i think its time to do a small upgrade for it.

My motherboard is a GA-MA790X-UD4P
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3038#ov

I haven't really been following the amd processor scene that much ever since i switched over to intel. I was wondering whats a upgrade to the current amd phenom iix2 555 using the same motherboard. I don't want to unlock the cores. I may upgrade the cpu cooler to one of the corsair ones because the one i have on it now is slowly dying... or should i just scrap this idea and just rebuild a whole new computer with a mid lvl i3-i5 chip?

My suggestion would be to find a 955, 965, or Phenom II X6 of some kind and overclock it.

ive unlock the cores b4 but the temps were kind of high for me so i guess mine didnt unlock that well

ive unlock the cores b4 but the temps were kind of high for me so i guess mine didnt unlock that well

That's normal. When you unlock cores, the CPU's TDP rises (more cores get current and get hot).

Buy a CAPABLE universal heatsink/closed loop watercooler on sale. Unlock them and enjoy, and when you upgrade transfer it to the next build. 2 4 1

Yeah I dont think the real temps go that crazy, just a couple of degrees higher. The sensor on the chip is just badly designed or its a design thing that it reports its melting.

I have 965 @3.9Ghz at 1.42v, under a Xigmatek 1283 on the same board. Been running strong for several years. That would probably be your cheapest upgrade.

I also have an unlocked 555 @ 3.67Ghz at 1.44v, also under a Xigmatek 1283 on an MSI 890GXM-G65. I can't tell the true cpu temps because once you unlock the other cores, the sensors are wonky. The Xiggy never gets hot to the touch.

Back