Because of you guys...

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
and the new video cards that are out, I finally decided to build a new PC.

Old and Busted:
P4 [email protected] (phase-change cooled)
Abit IC7
3gb Kingston HyperX PC4000
Maxtor 250gb HDD
SB Live! X-Gamer
Enermax 450W

New Hotness:
Core2 Extreme QX9770@4ghz
DFI Lanparty UT X48-T3R
4gb OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1800
2 Visiontek 4870x2
2x Seagate 1TB HDD
SB X-Fi Titanium
PC Power and Cooling 1200W PSU
Samsung Syncmaster 305T 30" LCD

The performance difference between the 2 is VERY night and day. This should keep me happy for quite some time.

EDIT: Forgot to add new monitor purchase in there.:)

I'm in the hunt for a 30" monitor myself. I've not heard good things about that Samsung. What made you go with it? Thanks!

I'm in the hunt for a 30" monitor myself. I've not heard good things about that Samsung. What made you go with it? Thanks!

I just settled for this because of the price and the picture quality it has. What I really wanted was the Samsung XL30 but that is a little too pricey.

New Hotness:
DFI Lanparty UT X48-T3R
2 Visiontek 4870x2
2x Seagate 1TB HDD
SB X-Fi Titanium

Well, thats ok if you want to go the cheap route. :eek:

merlin, cuz of you, i'm gonna buy a new car...
i had a 1972 vw beetle. think i'm gonna get a 2008 ferrari f430 scuderia

geezus, how much did that new system cost you?
Isnt that CPU like $1500 byitself?

and the new video cards that are out, I finally decided to build a new PC.

Old and Busted:
P4 [email protected] (phase-change cooled)
Abit IC7
3gb Kingston HyperX PC4000
Maxtor 250gb HDD
SB Live! X-Gamer
Enermax 450W

New Hotness:
DFI Lanparty UT X48-T3R
2 Visiontek 4870x2
2x Seagate 1TB HDD
SB X-Fi Titanium

The performance difference between the 2 is VERY night and day. This should keep me happy for quite some time.

EDIT: Forgot to add new monitor purchase in there.:)

Christ man that's the fucking bees knees. BTW how long did that p4 run @4.6?

TC has a Nasa PC :eek:

That rig makes mine look like one from the stone ages, if PCs exsisted back then. :p

Christ man that's the fucking bees knees. BTW how long did that p4 run @4.6?

The P4 is still running strong. If I remember, I will get my digicam from my fiancee for some pics.

I paid $5700 + shipping and such for everything.

New Hotness:
DFI Lanparty UT X48-T3R
2 Visiontek 4870x2
2x Seagate 1TB HDD
SB X-Fi Titanium

Awesome upgrade. It should be able to hold you over until Nehalem comes out and you can dump that outdated QX9770 for some i7 goodness. :p

Man, nice build!

doesnt look like you do it often, but when you do it, you do it right!!!

To put that into perspective, I bought a 1998 BMW 740iL with 133k mile on Aug 1st for $6000. Car is clean and runs very well. :D

-Flake

Yeah, but having fun with it you'll spend a few hundred times on gas what he'll spend on electricity. ;) :D

Sweet rig bro, but Im just curious, why spend so much money on a CPU that in a about 2-4 weeks will be, technically speaking, old technology. Seeing as the new Nehalem socket would better server you in terms of future proofing.

The ATI cards obviously won him over. :cool: ...or maybe he just wanted to impress his fiancee with his l33t computer?

I would probably do the same thing if I had the money. Why wait for Nehalem when you can get instant gratification via 2-day express mail? ;) Sounds like it will be a heck of a lot of fun to overclock and benchmark. Good luck.

Sweet rig bro, but Im just curious, why spend so much money on a CPU that in a about 2-4 weeks will be, technically speaking, old technology. Seeing as the new Nehalem socket would better server you in terms of future proofing.

Well I plan on using this setup for quite some time as you can tell from how long I used my previous system....then again I may be inclined to get the Nehalem when it's released.
I want to see some benches before I decide though.:)

just outta curiosity, was your old p4 on a board that had pci-e support? i know that a few systems i built for ppl that had the 775 p4's on a pci-e board and just wondering how an OC that high would handle games today with a modern card, even though its only a single core cpu, still be interesting..

I hear that the second HD4870x2 will not do you much good; might as well send it to me.

Very excited for you. Just one question: Will this be folding when you are not gaming?

Please say yes.

just outta curiosity, was your old p4 on a board that had pci-e support? i know that a few systems i built for ppl that had the 775 p4's on a pci-e board and just wondering how an OC that high would handle games today with a modern card, even though its only a single core cpu, still be interesting..

No, the IC7 has the 875P chipset which means 8x AGP only. Though I guess if I listed what I was using previously you wouldn't have had to ask.:p Previous video card was an ATi X800XTPE 256mb 600/1250

Very excited for you. Just one question: Will this be folding when you are not gaming?

Please say yes.

Sorry, no folding here. Not to be rude, but I have my reasons why I won't.

I told my fiancee to bring thr camera home from work. Our work schedules are opposite of each other so I hope she remembers.:)

Back