Beats by Dr. Dre Studio Headphones Review @ [H]

I am kind of shocked that you guys reviewed this. When I saw it at the top of the page, I assumed it was a paid review. Well, if they did, they sure failed hard on that marketing scheme.

There were very prominent words to let you know, "We recently purchased our own pair of the Beats'..........."

That should have made you feel confident right away.:)

LOL I didn't even have to read the review. I knew what was coming. Dre's name has been tarnished by these headphones. They are that bad. Monster's name couldn't get any lower. I hope beyond hope that Dre has never actually had a set of these on his ears. He would probably kick that Segway right out from under that monster pansy.

The other reviews I have read were much less forgiving than [H], but they gave the same information. Buy another brand.

However, perfect pitch and whatnot has nothing to do with a judgement of what is accurate or reference, and how good something sounds. Blatant trolling when it comes to that.

In regards to the headphones review, I was simply providing background. To me, someone saying that something sounds great or sounds awful is pointless without understanding something about how that person hears sound. If I could not hear frequencies above 10,000Hz and said that headphones that were rated to 25,000 Hz did not produce sounds above 10,000Hz, then that's providing an inaccurate assessment of the headphones because of a limitation in my ability to hear. Since I can hear the entire range of the sounds in question I can verify that, yes, the headphones do produce sounds up 25,000 Hz. Some people are also tone deaf, so providing background on my ability to perceive changes in pitch provides additional insight. The only reason I mentioned any of this was to help steer people toward what I consider to be a good product. I have absolutely nothing to gain from this myself, so why would I bother trolling just to troll? I have better things I can do with my time.

My second post... yes, that was blatant trolling because I did not appreciate being called a liar by Corporate Goon and I felt like rubbing his nose in it. Yes, I am arrogant, but that does not mean I'm wrong, nor does it give someone else the right to be rude toward me when I have done nothing to provoke them..

LOL I didn't even have to read the review. I knew what was coming. Dre's name has been tarnished by these headphones. They are that bad. Monster's name couldn't get any lower. I hope beyond hope that Dre has never actually had a set of these on his ears. He would probably kick that Segway right out from under that monster pansy.

The other reviews I have read were much less forgiving than [H], but they gave the same information. Buy another brand.

Actually I'm pretty sure he does use these. For Drum & Bass and Hip Hop, I doubt any other cans sound as good as these. And even if they fall apart every 6 months as another reviewer mentioned the man is rich. He probably has a dozen of these in his closet all a different color. It is a shame though that Monster didn't build these things to last longer or use higher quality components in them. It is like they are copying Bose to a T with build quality. I guess though the majority of the people spending this much on Headphones are probably not concerned about how much these things cost as the price of these is definitely ridiculous.

It's the most expensive and best product Best Buy carry. Thats why they sell.

Holy god? $449?! You can buy used Sennheiser HD600, Fiio E7 and Fiio E9 for that price. What a joke.

I have had these for a year now, has my kids got this for my bday last year.

If you are a pedobear, these are worth the price.... all the kids come up to talk about them.

BTW, I agree with the review 100%. The most annoying for me are the leakage, and the battery to listen to music.

But for some reason, there is a bit of cool feeling about them. No it does not make it sound better, but when you are an older person like myself, feeling a bit younger can be worth a couple of bucks ;)

Damn! LOL

Nobody mentions that this got you a Poof!

Ha ha!
:D

Links, please! That sort of review must be comedy gold!

LOL did you see the video where Tyll Hertsen from InnerFidelity basically screams in pain when they are on his head...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ipZY0qGrA9Y

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-solo
Just look at that frequency response plot! Makes you want to go Yuck!:p

Hell, at least the solo isn't being marketed as a STUDIO headphone.

For Drum & Bass and Hip Hop, I doubt any other cans sound as good as these

The point of studio phones is to accurately reproduce sounds in the audio band in a UNIFORM manner. The frequency response plot should be as close to a horizontal line as possible.
You should use accurate headphones in a studio setting so you have a good approximation of what is going down on the track right? If the bass isn't loud enough, then it isn't loud enough. You don't buy a new set of phones. You remaster the track!

Last edited:
Actually I'm pretty sure he does use these. For Drum & Bass and Hip Hop, I doubt any other cans sound as good as these. And even if they fall apart every 6 months as another reviewer mentioned the man is rich. He probably has a dozen of these in his closet all a different color. It is a shame though that Monster didn't build these things to last longer or use higher quality components in them. It is like they are copying Bose to a T with build quality. I guess though the majority of the people spending this much on Headphones are probably not concerned about how much these things cost as the price of these is definitely ridiculous.

I'd bet he uses much better cans, with a Beats logo plastered over them

Either that, or he has never walked in store to buy his own pairs (while being fed special sauce cans via Monster Audio). His probably most well known prodigy (Eminem), has never been seen with these on. Though Eminem has been spotted with Denon D5k/D7k before... (I remember seeing something to that effect in a HeadFi thread on sightings).

I'd bet he uses much better cans, with a Beats logo plastered over them

Either that, or he has never walked in store to buy his own pairs (while being fed special sauce cans via Monster Audio). His probably most well known prodigy (Eminem), has never been seen with these on. Though Eminem has been spotted with Denon D5k/D7k before... (I remember seeing something to that effect in a HeadFi thread on sightings).

Maybe my ears are broken. I thought I had fairly decent hearing when it comes to music. I do admit for music outside of Hip Hop and D&B these headphones don't sound as good as others but I thought they sounded fantastic with every Hip Hop song I tossed at them. I don't personally own a pair though, only listened through them. Didn't have 400.00 to toss out there for a pair. I do like Sennheisers though. I guess these headphones are shredded to pieces in detailed reviews though like this due to their ridiculous price. They are priced above their actual worth. Monster always seems to do that though no matter what product they sell. Bose does the same thing though but people tend to not rip into them as badly.

^^ Because BOSE is old. Beats is the new kid on the block, and they suck. a lot.*

*mostly relative to their pricing.

Totally knew these Beats was junk even before reading this review.

The first giveaway was that they were made by Monster.

WTF!!!! I just noticed my "new" title!!!!

I was trying a little humour, and now I have the Pedo On???? :(

Look up Fanny Wang reviews on YouTube and their website...I have a pair of their on ears and I think they sound on par if not better than the solos... (I've used both) But they're like $40 cheaper.

I think the worse part is when you are aware that they sound... well... terrible for the price, and your friends ask you what heaphones should they buy? You suggest them to AKG, ATH, Shure, & Denon. You have them audition your own "studio" headphones AKG 701s... you see their faces light up.. when they are emotionally impacted by music in a different way... and a month later... you ask them what they bought... and they say beats.

UGH! But you have to be nice... you can't say.. why did you allow your wallet to get raped, and your ears pissed in... instead you say.. they have an effective marketing campaign and populous industrial design.

Simply Terrible.. thank you for confirming what my ears told me... indecently... the similarly priced bose quiet comfort actually sounds much better... go fig :)

Oh I can proudly proclaim.. that my hearing drops off a cliff at around 16khz.. so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

In all my years of reading this site, I don't remember ever seeing the big X FAIL rating from [H]. I didn't even know you guys had that.

The thing about Beats that anyone who buys them forgets is that it's made by Monster. That alone should clue people in on the price. Monster doesn't make shitty stuff in particular. Their cables are actually pretty good. If a Monster HDMI cable fell into my lap for absolutely free, I would definitely use it. It's not worse than the monoprice cables I buy. I just wouldn't pay for them.

Likewise with these headphones. I've auditioned them pretty extensively (quite a few friends of mine got them with some insane employee discounts) and they're not bad. They're just not $300. If they were $150, well, reasonable people might be looking twice at them (I'd still rather have the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770's at $170, but then again I also build my own headphone amps). They're actually surprisingly decent considering their size and weight. As much as I like full cans, traveling with and wearing DT770's or Denon D2000's anywhere but at my computer is just not happening.

It's not like Bose where the speakers themselves are just terrible.

Personally though, for travel, I just stick with earphones. Earphones and IEMs destroy any noise cancellation headphone in isolation. To get some with good sound though... it can be pricier than what people would expect from something so easy to lose/destroy.

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised?

I had no idea that Monster was behind the Beats by Dr Dre headphones, but I figured they would be underwhelming just by the fact that celebrity labeled stuff usually is, and is sold for its name rather than its function.

Only thing worth mentioning. Unless something has changed since I was headphone shopping the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's are either 80 ohm or 250 Ohm. I don't think there is a 32 Ohm version...

This may be a typo though.

Zarathustra[H];1037638815 said:
.............. Unless something has changed since I was headphone shopping the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's are either 80 ohm or 250 Ohm. I don't think there is a 32 Ohm version...This may be a typo though.
The Beyer-Dynamic DT770, 880, and 990 are all available in 32, 80, and 250 ohm versions. Those things are truly "built like a tank."

Some people would just never been seen wearing them.:D

The Beyer-Dynamic DT770, 880, and 990 are all available in 32, 80, and 250 ohm versions. Those things are truly "built like a tank."

Hehe, That is true.

Did some more googling and figured out why I missed the 32 Ohm version of them. it's not Called DT770 Pro, the 32 Ohm version is called DT770 Premium :p I was searching DT770 Pro...

The DT770 Pro's are VERY comfortable and sound great. The cord is excessively long though (at least for my purposes) and they aren't very portable. (they don't bend or fold down neatly for packing in a bag).

The only negative thing i'll say about the DT700's sound is that when I first got them they were very sibilant with - occasionally - painful high pitched S sounds. I have found that over time this has improved. Possibly due to either burn in, or due to killing my high pitch hearing range :p

They can also be a little bit warm.

Last edited:

they don't look THAT bad

As the Flames Rose to Her Roman Nose... by mattlach, on Flickr

Unless - that is - your headphones ABSOLUTELY have to match your flat brimmed baseball cap which ABSOLUTELY has to match your basketball jersey which ABSOLUTELY has to match your red Bape shoes... :D

...but if that's the case, your opinion doesn't really matter anyway :p

...and take that stupid sticker off your hat! :p

I've tested them out, and they have decent quality. The only thing is the price, which probably should be expected, but will make you think twice.

In all my years of reading this site, I don't remember ever seeing the big X FAIL rating from [H]. I didn't even know you guys had that.

Read more [H] power supply reviews, there's a fair number of "FAIL" ratings in that category :) And some of them make me laugh out loud to read.

Beats are just so overpriced for the quality they offer. There are dozens of headphones that are much better from different brands including some that cost somewhere around 30-50 bucks. In general for audio products you can end up paying way too much for a brand. ;)

These headphones' biggest liability is that they have a display where you can test them. I took one listen and I knew the phones I had at home for music: The Sony MDR7506 at around $85 were far better than these marketing based pieces of hype. And that's listening to specific content that has been optimized to make the Beatz sound good.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that HTC invested $300m in Beats audio last week. While I wouldn't buy a Beats audio product, hopefully we should see some better/ more audio focussed HTC phones in the near future.

Not to resurrect....And it's long.

My bud just bought these cans. He did purchase them used, but they look new to me. I JUST finished listening to them 20 minutes ago. He ran them over my house to show me what he purchased. He knows I am into headphones...

He purchased the "Detox" version. He piad 600 bucks used. They are at most worth 200 bucks. But I know why people are buying them now. If you have never held or heard a quality pair of headphones, these will seem to be amazing. This will sound silly, but the weight and the APPARENT build quality make them seem more than they are. Hey! If they are heavy, they MUST be good!

1st thing that I noticed as I held them, was how damn heavy they were. They are HEAVY. Pain inducing heavy. Did I mention they are heavy? I can't picture wearing these at a couple hours at the most. 2nd thing I noticed was the hinges are going to break quickly. The screws holding the cups/hinges in place have too much pressure on them. I tried to show him, and he looked at me like I was crazy. They will come out, or get worn out fast. I wanted to take them apart to look a bit closer, but he would have killed me. Literally.

Nothing extensive on my part for listening, like gaming and movies. I just wanted to hear them with some music.

I hooked them up to my modest Mav Audio setup. Initial impression was they did not sound bad at all. I was shocked. They are comparable to my Denon 2K's in sound. Closer sound stage. The Denon's did NOT blow them out the water. Played some La Vie En Rose. The bass was ok, a little sloppy IMO, but not so much I would say bad at all. The highs and mids were just flat out better on the Denons. I tried to point this out to my bud, and he couldn't tell the difference. I could definitely tell though. Armstrong's voice was just much cleaner, along with the horns.

I played some Jay Z and Little Wayne per his request. And THIS ladies and gentiles is why they sell. They don't bottom out on the deep bass songs. And oh gawd lawdy, did he notice that! And I quote "I TOLD you these were amazing!" "You hear that son!" "Yeah +++++!" I just rolled my eyes.

I again tried to point out that my 200 dollar Denon's sound better than his 600 dollar Dre's. How he is only listening for bass and not everything the music has to give him. He wouldn't listen. I had to pull out the big guns....The HE-5LE's.

Both cans are around 600 bucks mind you. The He-5LE's are like 100 bucks more.

I shit you not. He says that everything sounded too far away, too much space and air. They weren't loud enough. And he hears too much background noise (whatever that meant). I must be crazy to pay that much for some no name headphones. That's all he kept saying as I pointed out to him what I thought he should be listening for. He again thought I was nuts to think my headphones sounded better. I wanted to punch him!

I KNOW you want to justify a purchase a lot of times. We all do it. But this was borderline silly! You have decent equipment to make a great comparison on, and you still choose the inferior product? With someone pointing out to you the differences? I laughed.

I could NOT wait to type this out. I'm going to send him this link so he knows what I thought!

And dude brush your teeth before you come over next time!

/longwinedness over

Back