Battlefield V

BF4 was a reskin of BF3, and BFV definitely looks like a reskin of BF1. The reality is that there is very little in the way of innovation between these games.

And BF1 looks and feels (meaning graphics/responsiveness) a lot like the Battlefront games, and like Andromeda.

It's really the post-BF4 direction that Frostbyte has taken that has made these games feel so similar in my opinion.

Not anything the community couldn't have cooked up as a mod within a couple of months.

As far as I can remember, the last time a BF game was reasonably modifiable, were custom maps for BF2. So, its been like 15 years since a BF game was moddable. Mods are a non-factor. Its strange to me that people keep bringing this up. And really, if "the community" felt so strongly, there would have been an original, community made game by now, which rivals BF in gameplay quality.

BF4 was a reskin of BF3, and BFV definitely looks like a reskin of BF1. The reality is that there is very little in the way of innovation between these games.

BF4 was very different from BF3. About the only similarity is that the art direction was really similar. I didn't like BF3 much, but enjoyed BF4 quite a bit. Because so many things about it were changed/better.

BF3 did make life difficult for BF4 because it was great! BF4 was good still. Really looking forward to this one after the letdown that was BF1.

The type of trailer they should have announced the game with instead of that weird one that had people asking "wtf".

Re: the complaining about BFV "not looking WW2 enough", gotta say that this trailer looks pretty damn WW2 to me.

Last edited:
and just like that, the second alpha is over. I think I got about 4 hours of play in. rumor is open beta is in early sept.

that trailer looks sick. and I assume thats the br mode shown off at the end with the circle of fire, people are really going to have tanks?

Last edited:
and just like that, the second alpha is over. I think I got about 4 hours of play in. rumor is open beta is in early sept.

that trailer looks sick. and I assume thats the br mode shown off at the end with the circle of fire, people are really going to have tanks?

really? that was quick. i don't play much during the week but i made time for it tuesday night. got a few hours in, was looking forward to more this weekend.

the new trailer looks good, has raised my excitement level a bit.

Whereas the first trailer and the alpha map didn't.

Subjective. But ultimately that's why its better not to overreact - good or bad - to teaser trailers, and just wait for the final game before making assumptions or judgments.

Subjective. But ultimately that's why its better not to overreact - good or bad - to teaser trailers, and just wait for the final game before making assumptions or judgments.

Wasn't reacting to the trailer, was reacting to the actual alpha which i was in. Just a bad choice of map and a bad choice of trailer to introduce the game for the first time.

As far as I can remember, the last time a BF game was reasonably modifiable, were custom maps for BF2. So, its been like 15 years since a BF game was moddable. Mods are a non-factor. Its strange to me that people keep bringing this up. And really, if "the community" felt so strongly, there would have been an original, community made game by now, which rivals BF in gameplay quality.

You completely miss the point of the argument, being that if EA/DICE didn't go out of their way to make it impossible to mod their games then one would have likely been created by the community. The entire reason they have done this is for the very purpose that they do not want to compete with free mods, hence why people can quite readily say that if it wasn't for EA/DICE forcefully making mods a "non-factor" there would have been an total conversion of BF1 to a WW2 setting by now. Suggesting that the community would have created an entire game from scratch to compete if people felt strongly about it is utterly asinine.

BF4 was very different from BF3. About the only similarity is that the art direction was really similar. I didn't like BF3 much, but enjoyed BF4 quite a bit. Because so many things about it were changed/better.

Uh no, it actually wasn't very different at all....oh wait there was a shit load more idiotic unlocks and the addition of retarded microtransactions. Seriously, you are kidding yourself if you think it was just the art direction that was similar. BF4 was a glorified expansion pack for BF3 sold at full retail price.

You completely miss the point of the argument, being that if EA/DICE didn't go out of their way to make it impossible to mod their games then one would have likely been created by the community. The entire reason they have done this is for the very purpose that they do not want to compete with free mods, hence why people can quite readily say that if it wasn't for EA/DICE forcefully making mods a "non-factor" there would have been an total conversion of BF1 to a WW2 setting by now. Suggesting that the community would have created an entire game from scratch to compete if people felt strongly about it is utterly asinine.

Uh no, it actually wasn't very different at all....oh wait there was a shit load more idiotic unlocks and the addition of retarded microtransactions. Seriously, you are kidding yourself if you think it was just the art direction that was similar. BF4 was a glorified expansion pack for BF3 sold at full retail price.
They were different actually by quite a bit. Also modders of good skill make their own games nowadays. There wouldn't be tons of modding like you claim.

Interesting at the end showing the Battle Royale map it seems? Still will wait to see how it plays out, but the Battlefield engine would be good for Battle Royale IMO

Interesting at the end showing the Battle Royale map it seems? Still will wait to see how it plays out, but the Battlefield engine would be good for Battle Royale IMO

Beat the piss out of PUBG's engine for sure... and then there's the destruction :woot:

Beat the piss out of PUBG's engine for sure... and then there's the destruction :woot:

PUBG uses unreal engine 4 yet manages to look like a half life 1 mod. I know that's not the latest iteration of the engine by a long shot but considering the performance you'd think it would look a bit better.

They were different actually by quite a bit. Also modders of good skill make their own games nowadays. There wouldn't be tons of modding like you claim.

I played both extensively, BF4 was a glorified expansion with little significant differences to BF3 (except for bull crap gimmicks like levolution). And I don't even know where to begin with these nebulous claims that modders would just make their own games if they were really that motivated....equating refining/removal of existing rubbish game mechanics and/or releasing new maps to designing an entire game from scratch is beyond ridiculous.

So you've played any Battlefield game, ever, huh?:D

Have you? Apart from 2142 and Vietnam, reskins only started being ubiquitous for every release post BF3. The evolution, improvements and notable differences between 1942, BF2, BC2 and BF3, not just graphically but in terms of gameplay, were significant.

The past ~3 years sure have been strange. Never thought we'd be seeing the internet coming apart at the seams over... female characters appearing in fantasy war games.

The past ~3 years sure have been strange. Never thought we'd be seeing the internet coming apart at the seams over... female characters appearing in fantasy war games.

Yup, all this liberal SJW crap is really pissing me off. Just leave politics and women out of our video games.

And EA can suck a dick, if they think they can insult our intelligence and challenge us to "if you don't like it, then don't buy it." I refuse to give EA a dime of my hard earned money.

Battlefield V‘s open beta will start on September 4th for early access and September 6th for everyone else.

The dates were announced during Nvidia’s Gamescom 2018 press conference, which showed off how its new Geforce RTX technology created realistic reflections in Battlefield V.

Players can gain early access to the beta by preordering either the standard or deluxe editions of the game. According to a press release from EA, the beta will include Conquest mode on the new Rotterdam map, which was showcased in the trailer, as well as Grand Operations on the Arctic Fjord map, which was featured in the closed alpha. It’s unclear if the beta will include a full four-day Grand Operations, or if we’re only getting the first two days like we did in the closed alpha.

The issue is this is only a minor complaint by some people which got blown out of proportion and blamed for any criticism of the game. I am sure some people are upset about this, but I don't think it is as many as the articles and EA/DICE have made about it.

People were, imho, justifiably complaining about the cosmetics and how it potentially would be difficult to tell your team apart from the other especially with the loss of 3D spotting. The response to this was just like your post and why is it such a big deal women are in the game.

I see more complaints about the servers, cosmetics, weapons, etc than I do about a woman in a video game. Guess what gets focused on though?

I'm sure those are legit criticisms, that's not what the uproar is really about from what I can tell though. But then again, I don't follow the Battlefield series anymore like I used to. I just go by the articles and threads I see pop up from time to time.

Battlefield V: Official GeForce RTX Trailer

more realistic shadows!...and reflections!...all you need is a new $1000 GPU...

I'm sure those are legit criticisms, that's not what the uproar is really about from what I can tell though. But then again, I don't follow the Battlefield series anymore like I used to. I just go by the articles and threads I see pop up from time to time.

And that is the problem with the gaming sites. All too often I find what they report isn't actually what is going on. I don't even bother with most gaming news sites anymore because of it. The sites automatically took the same viewpoint of the EA devs but when if you go to places like /r/battlefield
this isn't what the community for the most part was actually complaining about. Yes there were some complaints about women, but very few of they just don't want women in their games. With gaming there is always someone complaining about every little detail if you look for it.

The biggest complaints lean towards if you are going to pick a real world event why do things that don't fit the actual event. Saying the complaints all come from sexist people is just a way to dismiss any criticism.

The only place I ever see mention of the uproar about women in the game are from EA or the sites like Polygon.

And that is the problem with the gaming sites. All too often I find what they report isn't actually what is going on. I don't even bother with most gaming news sites anymore because of it. The sites automatically took the same viewpoint of the EA devs but when if you go to places like /r/battlefield
this isn't what the community for the most part was actually complaining about. Yes there were some complaints about women, but very few of they just don't want women in their games. With gaming there is always someone complaining about every little detail if you look for it.

A very cursory glance at /r/battlefield shows that there is, in fact, a large amount of complaining about women being in the game.

A very cursory glance at /r/battlefield shows that there is, in fact, a large amount of complaining about women being in the game.

Many of them are complaining about the context in which they are appearing, not the fact that there are women. Big difference. No one gave a shit about playable women introduced by In the name of the Tsar because it was contextually accurate, and the whole controversy has been absurdly amplified by arse clown "journalists" who want to portray anyone questioning this as sexist, bigoted or racist. Playable female character skins have been a thing since Unreal Tournament 20 years ago and there have been plenty of games with strong female protagonists over the years. No one has given a shit until these moralizing preachy virtue signalling fuck nuts decided to wage a culture war on games, which in turn has caused these idiotic publishers to pander to a tiny minority who probably don't even play the damn games in question. It is actually just staggering to witness this nonsense unfolding.

Many of them are complaining about the context in which they are appearing, not the fact that there are women. Big difference. No one gave a shit about playable women introduced by In the name of the Tsar because it was contextually accurate, and the whole controversy has been absurdly amplified by arse clown "journalists" who want to portray anyone questioning this as sexist, bigoted or racist. Playable female character skins have been a thing since Unreal Tournament 20 years ago and there have been plenty of games with strong female protagonists over the years. No one has given a shit until these moralizing preachy virtue signalling fuck nuts decided to wage a culture war on games, which in turn has caused these idiotic publishers to pander to a tiny minority who probably don't even play the damn games in question. It is actually just staggering to witness this nonsense unfolding.

Again - it's impossible to square this view with the reality of /r/battlefield. And there was, of course, a massive amount of complaining about the female sniper in BF1.

I dont care about the females, in fact I'm ok with that, I play females whenever I have the chance. What I'm still butthurt about is Battlefront 2.

welp. bf1 has been plagued with network and general bugginess these past few months. If they can't keep that game going why buy the new one? I have not been able to connect to bf1 all day.

welp. bf1 has been plagued with network and general bugginess these past few months. If they can't keep that game going why buy the new one? I have not been able to connect to bf1 all day.

I played last night alright, but I’ve been saying for a few months now I can only find a few servers under 100 ms ping. Seems just about all the servers are outside of the US now. Game is still pretty fun though.

I usually play on the section 8 server. Just could not load in yesterday. Or even get the browser open. Both issues I have had before. Error saying I don't have the bandwidth to join. It is an East coast server. Lol I am in VA.

Some footage i snagged gamespot had uploaded then removed. You can see some obvious bugs as its an early implementation, 720 res as well. Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of players on the map either, but the gunplay does look pretty decent. And no ginger bitch running around with a prosthetic arm and a cricket bat wrapped in barb wire.

Last edited:

Some footage i snagged gamespot had uploaded then removed. You can see some obvious bugs as its an early implementation, 720 res as well. Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of players on the map either, but the gunplay does look pretty decent. And no ginger bitch running around with a prosthetic arm and a cricket bat wrapped in barb wire.

nice. the movement speed looks really fast compared to the alpha, then I realized it cause the player's fov is set high. there are a couple clips in the video without high fov. like the one at 1:10. some of the building interiors look alot like the ones from bf1. especially those little broken pockets on the outside of the building. that map looks beautiful at the 8:30 mark with the sun shinning over the bridge and the river there.

new nvidia driver released today with updates and optimization for the upcoming beta.

The second vid has RTX enabled, very hitchy but still in alpha according to the top right of the screen.

Back