Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

USE A CONFIG FILE TO LIMIT YOUR FPS!!!

1. Make a notepad file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4
2. Add the line, GameTime.MaxVariableFps 119.94
3. Save it as user.cfg

This made a HUGE difference for me. I would dip into the 80's pretty often in Shanghai before this and now I dip to 110. Sure if a tank blows up in my face, it'll tank lower, but that doesn't matter. I'm talking about when the building is down and you're in a tank, crossing the bridge. That used to drive me nuts, but now it's great! As an added bonus, power consumption is down.

If you're @ 60hz, try 59.94. Not sure why you have to use 4 numbers, but eh.

Also, if you wanna get rid of suppressive fire motion blur wo/ changing some settings to low, just add these lines to the config.

WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
WorldRender.PlanarReflectionEnable 0

Also, I added a bunch of you!

Last edited:
A couple of questions on the cfg:
- If I dont want the FPS overlay to display I just omit that line, correct? Not sure what that has to do with negating suppressed motion blur.
- Do these blur-reduction tweaks alter any other lighting commands? I'm actually very happy with the performance to pretty balance I'm running now (Shiz's settings)
- Has anyone here tried limiting frames on a 60hz monitor to 60 and had a better experience than not limiting frames?

anytime a tank gets one shotted is a good thing :)

It's too bad people can't all just look at them and they blow up

a good way to 1 shot a tank for the lols.

is to put 3 slams on the side in the same place then shoot the slams with your RPG do it more than once to the same guy and you can hear the cries in chat about your hacks with 1 shot kill rpg's

A couple of questions on the cfg:
- If I dont want the FPS overlay to display I just omit that line, correct? Not sure what that has to do with negating suppressed motion blur.
- Do these blur-reduction tweaks alter any other lighting commands? I'm actually very happy with the performance to pretty balance I'm running now (Shiz's settings)
- Has anyone here tried limiting frames on a 60hz monitor to 60 and had a better experience than not limiting frames?

1. Yes, sorry about that...deleted. It has been scientifically proven that you WILL get 20% less FPS if you have a number displaying your FPS.
2. No clue.
3. Friend of mine tried it, didn't notice anything special. Of course, 60 FPS is much easier to maintain than 120, so there's that. Perhaps you could increase IQ settings tho.

is to put 3 slams on the side in the same place then shoot the slams with your RPG do it more than once to the same guy and you can hear the cries in chat about your hacks with 1 shot kill rpg's

I did this for a little while in Dragon Pass the other night. Vehicles kept driving up to C and mysteriously exploding. :cool:

Lol, thanks @shadyquerty.

After I get my settings dialed I'm not really into checking FPS any further.

I'll give it a go and report back here re: setting an upper limit.

To be honest, I did update to the latest drivers and the patch had come in. But I think I played w/ that setup for a good while before adding the command to limit FPS.

Whatever the case, I used to dip to 80 pretty often. With the variable set, I am pretty much always @ 120 FPS w/ the following settings...

1080P
Ultra
2x MSAA
NO AO

Rig in sig.

Just made a post on OCN for BF4 gamers w/ mics...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1465097/unoffical-bf4-gamers-w-mics

I play pretty often and always load this up. A few local buds usually join me, but I'm trying to drum up some support for this. No one likes playing alone!!!

For those too lazy to read, just open up Teamspeak and join the BF4 room @ ts.ocngaming.net!

Awesome! ofacesig and I have run a few rounds together. What time/time zone are you usually on?

I'm getting this: No contact with EA Online. Please try again later.

Anyone else down? Thanks, EA :rolleyes:

I tried again "later" and it worked.

Do they get credit for a fix? :p

Last edited:
Getting the same thing. Me and my buddy were just wrecking on Flood Zone and I got kicked for some reason.
I try to rejoin and it says:

ERROR
No contact with EA Online. Please try again later.

I restarted and any server I try to join battlelog instantly Errors with that message..

gg EA. gg :-/ Weird thing is, that he is still in the server playing and I cant join a damn thing.

some goofy shit going on with Battlelog at the moment. couldn't log in for a bit, now that i have my rank has been reset.

Well I installed lightboost tonight....I had one of my better games of domination, went like 40 and 10.

Then I played with shiz and got my ass kicked royally.

Now EA isn't working....fun.

EDIT: EA's BACK!

Last edited:
I had an our of EA server BS couldn't even get on battlelog till now

Any deals on BF4 premium anywhere right now guys? Need it for a friend

I had an our of EA server BS couldn't even get on battlelog till now

Any deals on BF4 premium anywhere right now guys? Need it for a friend

I'm not sure if this still works , or if you're okay with doing this.
http://beta.slickdeals.net/f/6609092-Battlefield-4-Premium-PC-30-58

On the subject of premium... i just joined the premium party.
and well... with the 20 extra layers, the game has become BattleEmblem 4, for now :)

90f002e1b8.jpg

Close enough... :confused:

I'm enjoying the game when the score is tight, and the sky battle at C on Shanghai siege are... well quite epic.

But... I crash ALOT, 75% of the time when I enter a vehicle and it's already occupied I crash, it's quite annoying, I mostly play infantry (95% of the time) but if I'm at the other end of the map I don't mind getting a lif...........crash.

Any idea if there's a way to fix it or I gotta wait on Dice to patch that?

That's pretty funny

I consider you basically a tank btw. Nobody should be that good with that freaking deathwand you wield. I try using it and only watch the missile fly away into oblivion as I get shot to hell and back. I don't know how you make the spatial relationship on how far to lead, when to see it etc. I try it exactly like you do it but never hit the air targets. I can hit tanks with it but not helos :(

I'd like you to become my tutor please :)

some goofy shit going on with Battlelog at the moment. couldn't log in for a bit, now that i have my rank has been reset.

I finally decided to concentrate on the L85 so I got it on a round in Shanghai (easy to defib guys by dropping in on them lol)

And THEN the stat servers went poof lol

I've done this quite a bit and have some videos doing it. Haven't seen anyone cry about hacks yet, but it could be due to the fact that I'm laughing so hard and not paying attention to chat.

I gave up the repair tool for slams and haven't looked back.

Guess I'm gonna try that... one of my complaints about the Engy is it takes so many RPGs rocket to take down a tank, usually you get wasted on your 2nd or 3rd rocket and barely scratched the enemy.

I've done this quite a bit and have some videos doing it. Haven't seen anyone cry about hacks yet, but it could be due to the fact that I'm laughing so hard and not paying attention to chat.

I gave up the repair tool for slams and haven't looked back.

I have not tried in BF4 (too busy playing with SLAMS) but in BF3 you could detonate C4 with some weapons; 44 mag, shotgun w/ slugs, sniper rifle, etc. Place your C4 on tank, shoot with 44 and get kill credit with 44 and watch the hacusations. May work with SLAMS as well, but only speculating as I have not tested this. I have put SLAMS on tanks and had it NOT explode with RPG hits, so YMMV.

When I am feeling especially mean I will run though an enemy base and put slams on the motor bikes and continue to the next flag without capping the current one...Vroom, Vroom, Boom.

Engie is all about shot placement and staying concealed between shots. 2 rear shots will generally take out a tank. If they have an engie repairing, forget about it, unless you can take them out with a rocket. Even then, it really takes 2 of you or for the tank to be distracted with a more important target, like another tank. Always a challenge, but much more rewarding.

How do they work exactly? Blow up on contact or it's a detonator? (the slam)

I have not tried in BF4 (too busy playing with SLAMS) but in BF3 you could detonate C4 with some weapons; 44 mag, shotgun w/ slugs, sniper rifle, etc. Place your C4 on tank, shoot with 44 and get kill credit with 44 and watch the hacusations. May work with SLAMS as well, but only speculating as I have not tested this. I have put SLAMS on tanks and had it NOT explode with RPG hits, so YMMV.

When I am feeling especially mean I will run though an enemy base and put slams on the motor bikes and continue to the next flag without capping the current one...Vroom, Vroom, Boom.

Engie is all about shot placement and staying concealed between shots. 2 rear shots will generally take out a tank. If they have an engie repairing, forget about it, unless you can take them out with a rocket. Even then, it really takes 2 of you or for the tank to be distracted with a more important target, like another tank. Always a challenge, but much more rewarding.

You can still do the C4 trick in BF4. I've detonated C4 with a 44mag - not sure if this does with slams (I'll try it on the test server).

If you do spread out the slams too much, not all of them will blow up on RPG impact (the explosion radius is much smaller compared to C4).

How do they work exactly? Blow up on contact or it's a detonator? (the slam)

Slams are detonated a few ways:
  • If they're on the ground or wall, they will blow up as a vehicle gets near (I'm not sure if going very slow will prevent them from detonating)
  • If they are stuck to a vehicle, they will detonate once the vehicles gets to a certain speed (nothing happens if the vehicle is moving very slow or staying still)
  • And of course, blowing them up from another explosive device to amplify the explosion damage

edit: I just confirmed that slams can be detonated by the 44mag and other small arms. Although, I could not get them to detonate while on the larger vehicles. Worked on quad bikes and the ground/walls, but not while on APC/Tank/Transport vehicles.
2nd edit: I also found out that slam explosions do very little/no damage to walls, and do not cause other slams to blow up. So if you're shooting an RPG at 3 slams, the blast radius from the RPG has to hit all 3 for them to go boom.

Last edited:
You can also detonate C4, Claymores, and mines with the MAV. I am not sure if you can detonate slams with them, but I wouldn't doubt it. Not that you'd need to detonate the slams. You can detonate the enemy team mines as an enemy tank runs over them to get a kill with the MAV, if you time it right. Not quite sure how the kill gets registered though.

Just played 2 maps in a row where I couldnt use the gunner seat weapons on any ground vehicle.. Wtf is this shit. .??

I keep hearing from people that have been having their load-outs for vehicles resetting since yesterday afternoon, I'll find out tonight if its effecting me.

Just got the game today and after playing a few games, I notice I got a memory leak for the game. Anyone know a fix for this?

Start with a mop and bucket to clean the floor then some rubber cement for the patch. ;)

Seriously, I haven't had any issues that behave like mem leak. Do know that this game uses up a TON of memory. Your 8gb should be enough.

You can still do the C4 trick in BF4. I've detonated C4 with a 44mag - not sure if this does with slams (I'll try it on the test server).

If you do spread out the slams too much, not all of them will blow up on RPG impact (the explosion radius is much smaller compared to C4).

Slams are detonated a few ways:
  • If they're on the ground or wall, they will blow up as a vehicle gets near (I'm not sure if going very slow will prevent them from detonating)
  • If they are stuck to a vehicle, they will detonate once the vehicles gets to a certain speed (nothing happens if the vehicle is moving very slow or staying still)
  • And of course, blowing them up from another explosive device to amplify the explosion damage

edit: I just confirmed that slams can be detonated by the 44mag and other small arms. Although, I could not get them to detonate while on the larger vehicles. Worked on quad bikes and the ground/walls, but not while on APC/Tank/Transport vehicles.
2nd edit: I also found out that slam explosions do very little/no damage to walls, and do not cause other slams to blow up. So if you're shooting an RPG at 3 slams, the blast radius from the RPG has to hit all 3 for them to go boom.

FYI: more than a couple of times, I've put 3 slams on a vehicle, then tossed an impact grenade, and the slams did not explode. haven't tested with other grenade types.

MK11 MOD 0
PRISMA [3.4X]
Angled Grip
Muzzle Brake
Canted Iron Sites

Never thought I'd love DMR's so much. I'm having so much more fun making well placed shots then Auto.
For some reason I feel like this gun rapes at close and medium range. Just flanked a whole 5man squad in tunnels on Zavod and took them all out with 1 mag! So hyped had to post about it lol.

MK11 MOD 0
PRISMA [3.4X]
Angled Grip
Muzzle Brake
Canted Iron Sites

Never thought I'd love DMR's so much. I'm having so much more fun making well placed shots then Auto.
For some reason I feel like this gun rapes at close and medium range. Just flanked a whole 5man squad in tunnels on Zavod and took them all out with 1 mag! So hyped had to post about it lol.

DMR's do rape - they got a buff in the last patch. It's called DMR4, not BF4. ;)

pshhh pshhh pshhh pshhh pshhh pshhh pshhh

the sounds of non stop horrible aim with DMR's.

Guess I'm gonna try that... one of my complaints about the Engy is it takes so many RPGs rocket to take down a tank, usually you get wasted on your 2nd or 3rd rocket and barely scratched the enemy.

Try to get em in the butt.

Back