Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

That's not totally accurate. Its really more a one week timed demo that you can add for free to your Origin account up until Aug 14. Then once you click Play for the first time (which you could wait and do months from now if you wanted), a 168hr countdown begins and you essentially have a fully functional game for a week before it locks again and you'd have to buy it to continue.

Played BF4 for the first time tonight during the trial. Confirmed everything that I heard about it being a buggy mess full of "pay to win" kiddos. What's the point of having ranks, unlockable weapons, etc if you can just buy the shit? So you buy the game, buy premium, then buy all the unlocks. Takes ALL fun out of the game. I'm sure someone will say "Well you don't have to buy xxxxxx." Ok, so then all the kids who spent their birthday money on unlocking everything headshot me with their unlocked weapons and accessories every time I pop my head up. If you know everyone is just paying for the unlocks, it takes all fun out of leveling and unlocking stuff. The whole point should be to get good at the game and get the new weapons and unlocks so you'll have an advantage over the other guy.

Maybe someday we'll get an online shooter where you actually have to earn everything like with BF2 and BFBC2. Even early BF3 was great before the PTW crap was introduced. Those games were fun and everyone was on a somewhat level playing field. You felt a sense of accomplishment every time you'd gain a level or unlock a new toy. That's all gone now.

So glad I didn't waste my money on this piss poor excuse for a game. The game is junk and anyone who "pays to win" needs to sell their computer, get a console, and rack up $10k buying every PTW or subscription they can get. Go play Clash of Clans and spend $4000 on your awesome village that you didn't earn. Flame away.

Played BF4 for the first time tonight during the trial. Confirmed everything that I heard about it being a buggy mess full of "pay to win" kiddos. What's the point of having ranks, unlockable weapons, etc if you can just buy the shit? So you buy the game, buy premium, then buy all the unlocks. Takes ALL fun out of the game. I'm sure someone will say "Well you don't have to buy xxxxxx." Ok, so then all the kids who spent their birthday money on unlocking everything headshot me with their unlocked weapons and accessories every time I pop my head up. If you know everyone is just paying for the unlocks, it takes all fun out of leveling and unlocking stuff. The whole point should be to get good at the game and get the new weapons and unlocks so you'll have an advantage over the other guy.

Maybe someday we'll get an online shooter where you actually have to earn everything like with BF2 and BFBC2. Even early BF3 was great before the PTW crap was introduced. Those games were fun and everyone was on a somewhat level playing field. You felt a sense of accomplishment every time you'd gain a level or unlock a new toy. That's all gone now.

So glad I didn't waste my money on this piss poor excuse for a game. The game is junk and anyone who "pays to win" needs to sell their computer, get a console, and rack up $10k buying every PTW or subscription they can get. Go play Clash of Clans and spend $4000 on your awesome village that you didn't earn. Flame away.

Good god. The "unlock packs" are *NOT* P2W. The starter guns are some of the best in the game, just like they were in BF3. Literally all the unlock packs are saving is time and some grinding, and you'd have to be braindead to buy them - I don't know anyone that would or has because they're pointless and don't offer any advantage, since XP comes in so fast, especially with boosters which the game also throws at you relentlessly.

There are a lot of things to complain about in BF4, but the unlock packs are benign and just proves you spent practically no time with the game to understand otherwise. The only time I hear of them being used is when someone switches platforms and has money to burn and doesn't feel like grinding to get all their old unlocks back.

Sounds like you're just angry that you got your ass handed because you're new to the game, but I guarantee you that you weren't getting killed by anyone that spent a dime on silly unlock packs.

Last edited:

You are just another whiny self entitled kiddie. You are the worst of the worst. The "too lazy to spend time with it but I want it now and I deserve it free" type of person. Guess what? You don't have to spend money to get most of the unlocks, you only have to spend some effort. That much hasn't changed since BF2, but you couldn't even be bothered to take notice. The only exception is the weapons in the DLC's, but those are only worth paying for the maps to play on if you like the game. They aren't worth paying for to get the new weapons. The only legitimate complaint in that entire post is regarding the bugs. You wanna know why kids headshot you with their unlocked weapons and accessories? Because you haven't spent any amount of time with the game to learn the game mechanics or the maps and they have a shit ton more experience than you. Who the fuck cares if they paid for some unlocks? In fact, the people that pay for the unlocks are exactly like you...the "have it now" crowd. The only difference is you are a jealous, whiny self entitled kiddie without any money to buy your way in like they did. So please, just sit there and huff and puff and blame everyone else but yourself for your lack of skill in the game. Just because you played BF2 or BFBC2 means jack shit because everything about the battlefield series changes with each iteration... new game mechanics, physics, maps, and even bugs. Even BF4 is different than BF3 in many aspects.

Spend more than a few hours with the game, watch some videos, check symthic.com....fuck..read this thread. You would then realize there is no such thing as PTW in BF3 or BF4. Its obvious you spent only a couple hours with the game before your over inflated sense of entitlement made you judge things the wrong way. Yes people can pay for the unlocks. No one does since there is zero need to. You can unlock nearly every weapon in the game within 20 hours of play. Attachments however, that's another story.

The absolute BEST GUN IN BF3 was the M16A3. It was the first gun you got in the game. There were a few others, but again the best were in the base game. In BF4 its a tossup between the different classes.

Best overall LMG? MG4/M249. M249 can be unlocked in singleplayer. AWS is possibly better but the MG4's 200 round mag tops it.
Best overall Carbine? AK5C. First one you unlock. Its the M16A3 of this game and good for all situations. Next best is the ACW-R which is the second unlock
Best overall Assault rifle? Tossup between ACE23, M416, and Scar-H. All included in base game and unlocked quickly. The Scar-H is first unlock and absolutely wrecks people if you are careful with ammo. The Bulldog is only other gun that comes close to damage, but its recoil is horrendous and its difficult to shoot longer ranges.
Best overall DMR? SKS. Second unlock.
Best overall shotgun? QBS-09 First shotgun you get.
Best overall PDW? CZ-301 until the MPX came out.

The only categories where the later unlocks are better is sniper rifles and pistols. SRR-61 trumps all others, and the SW40 and Deagle trump others in pistols, however the base P226 and M9 (first and second unlocks) are actually the most accurate pistols in the game.

Fuck, some of the worst guns in the game are some of the later unlocks... SAR-21 Assault rifle, Type95B-1 carbine, RPK-74 LMG, M39 EMR, SR338 Sniper rifle, Unica6 pistol.

FWIW, decent players are good with any weapon in this game. Shit, right now I'm working on getting "mastery" (500kills) with every weapon in the game right now, and my stats have barely budged. I stuck with a few favorites for a while, but I felt the need to branch out and make myself more rounded since I am no where near the skill of some of the amazing players in this game.

Since you have already passed judgement on the game, its likely you won't be back. Good riddance and troll elsewhere. Call me elitist or every other nasty name in the book, but at least my attitude towards your complaining will keep other pathetic whiny self entitled kiddies like you away from this game.

Good god. The "unlock packs" are *NOT* P2W. The starter guns are some of the best in the game, just like they were in BF3. Literally all the unlock packs are saving is time and some grinding, and you'd have to be braindead to buy them - I don't know anyone that would or has because they're pointless and don't offer any advantage, since XP comes in so fast, especially with boosters which the game also throws at you relentlessly.

There are a lot of things to complain about in BF4, but the unlock packs are benign and just proves you spent practically no time with the game to understand otherwise. The only time I hear of them being used is when someone switches platforms and has money to burn and doesn't feel like grinding to get all their old unlocks back.

Sounds like you're just angry that you got your ass handed because you're new to the game, but I guarantee you that you weren't getting killed by anyone that spent a dime on silly unlock packs.
Amen.

Last edited:

What? Are we playing the same game?

Not sure if this has been posted, but HUGE core design changes incoming for BF4.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/08/updates-battlefield-core-gameplay-improvements/

Here is some of it.

Core Gameplay Update

The current CTE initiative revolves around making the core gameplay of Battlefield 4 even better. This initiative has been in full swing for a little over two months now, and we’ve made a lot tweaks and changes that we hope you have enjoyed. As we’re nearing the end of this initiative and the release of the next Battlefield 4 update, these are the major fixes that it will include:

Game Mode Improvements

General improvements and tweaks have been made to the following game modes: Rush, Obliteration, Obliteration Competitive, Capture the Flag and Carrier Assault.

Visual Recoil

Close and medium range optic reticules do not move with the gun any longer, however both bullet spread and bullet drop are still present.

Soldier Movement

Changes have been made to soldier movement so that it closely matches the one in Battlefield 3, but without compromising the visual fidelity. This change also makes it easier to get away from undesirable firefights.

Additionally, we’ve dampened third person hit reactions where the soldier previously moved his head around a lot when getting shot at.

HUD Triage

Focusing on clarity, and de-cluttering the HUD/UI to only show what is important – we have added several options and functionality to make your screen much less cluttered (and give you a lot of choice in making it the way you want).

Revive Mechanic Improvements

A special effort went into making revives easier to use, more robust and easier to understand. Additions include a “fully charged” paddle sound, UI indication on revive time and better networked ragdolls.

“Netcode” Improvements

Making ping differences, trade kills and kills behind cover less of an issue by lowering the time allowed to damage on the client side.

Automatic High Frequency Update setting enforced with the intent of release to all platforms, including Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Improvements to bullet damage times from client to client, “dusting” and de-syncs.

The weapons for the most part are balanced pretty well with a few exceptions (DMR's being quite bad compared to pretty much everything else) but the weapon 'tiers' or 'unlocks' are not P2W as the weapons are pretty balanced -- one of the few things DICE did well in the game.

BF4 has some serious issues but 'Pay-to-Win' is certainly not one of them.

could anyone tell me why my keyboard and mouse no longer work on bf4?

i was just playing fine a few hours ago and now i cant do anything but alt tab.
there is no cursor and i cant even hit esc to enter the menu.

ive tried repairing the game, updating punkbuster, blah blah blah.

anyone have any idea wtf is going on?

I'm having the exact same problem.

I have not played for a few months and decided to jump back in but the game won't take any inputs at all once it's launched and full screen.

I've seen a couple other posts on other forums about this problem but none of them with any answers.

I'm having the exact same problem.

I have not played for a few months and decided to jump back in but the game won't take any inputs at all once it's launched and full screen.

I've seen a couple other posts on other forums about this problem but none of them with any answers.

Sounds like reoccurrence of Nvidia driver issue. As a tempory work-around alt-tab to desktop, run Internet Explorer then switch back to game. Long term fix is to update your Nvidia driver to recommended version or newer.

I played BF4 Villina until today. Was at the top of the leaderboards once I got the hang of the game.
Using vanilla weapons, not DLC weapons. I went Premium today and I'm using the bulldog, still ending up with the same stats.

Nothing about BF4 is P2W. Many weapons are situational, so I switch depending upon the map. Step into a fight with the wrong weapon and you'll get owned.
I use AEK for CQB, ACE 23 mid-range and Bulldog for power. SCAR is cool for longer range shooting. And the M26 MASS on my hip.

*Close and medium range optic reticules do not move with the gun any longer, however both bullet spread and bullet drop are still present.

*Additionally, we’ve dampened third person hit reactions where the soldier previously moved his head around a lot when getting shot at.

What the hell?

Of all the problems BF4 has, these were not problems and might actually be the thing which ruins the game for me. We'll see how this feels, in practice.

The optics lied, where it would sway while firing was not actually your true aimpoint. That's why they're changing it.

edit: ^^^^ beaten

Sounds like reoccurrence of Nvidia driver issue. As a tempory work-around alt-tab to desktop, run Internet Explorer then switch back to game. Long term fix is to update your Nvidia driver to recommended version or newer.

My driver was only one rev out of date and I just updated - same thing.

Game launched and went into a windowed mode on the server - I couldn't do anything. Once I timed out, it launched the intro video and said I need to relog since I was kicked for idling - but at this point, clicking on the windowed game made it go full screen. Still - no keyboard inputs accepted and my mouse had the busy cursor the whole time.

I need to disable surround and SLI and try it and go from there, but it's always worked easily.

Opened about 12 Battlepacks - that was cool...

** EDIT **

Single card, single screen worked normally.

So that's good - I can work with that.

Last edited:

Yeah this dude is just a piss poor excuse for a player. When I get killed it's because I didn't find cover in time or netcode. I don't blame it on "P2W." Such a ridiculous excuse.

Yeah this dude is just a piss poor excuse for a player. When I get killed it's because I didn't find cover in time or netcode. I don't blame it on "P2W." Such a ridiculous excuse.

Most of the time I blame my poor reaction times and general lack of FPS skill. I also blame the other player for shooting at me in the first place. I mean, dude, I'm just trying to cap a flag here. It's not like I'm stealing your birthday...

Random thought: Getting older isn't for wimps.

A video one of my friends put up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGe3UJFoEKs

Edit i just put this up also

Some of the SRAW clips from this week, it gets better near the middle to end i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdHfoBRlI0Q

Funny thing happened to me today with SRAW... actually, it was the first time that it happened to me or anybody probably, too bad i don't have a clip for a quick laugh.
I was playing on Siege, B flag, transport chopper came down fast and started mowing us down. I fired off SRAW and the damn rocket flew up fast, made a loop and came back at me and smacked me right in the face.

I love how people play this game for a few hours and consider that the game is a "buggy mess" or "broken" or some other rando shit that they spew.

Guess what guys, you need to spend at least 10 hours just to get a handle on the game. I agree there are bugs and lag comp sucks at times and there are issues with kills not registering but still it is quite possibly the best online MP game out now. I don't know of any other game that has this much variety in terms of maps, gameplay modes and also an online community (save for maybe CS or TF2 but CS is shit and we all know that and not sure if TF2 has people playing it or just trading keys/hats lol).

Even with all the issues with this game, it is enjoyable and that is what matters. Everytime I log in, I have a good time. Haters can go find another MP game rather than visit BF4 threads and bitch about the game EVEN AFTER 9+ MONTHS OF RELEASE LOL!

I love how people play this game for a few hours and consider that the game is a "buggy mess" or "broken" or some other rando shit that they spew.

Guess what guys, you need to spend at least 10 hours just to get a handle on the game. I agree there are bugs and lag comp sucks at times and there are issues with kills not registering but still it is quite possibly the best online MP game out now. I don't know of any other game that has this much variety in terms of maps, gameplay modes and also an online community (save for maybe CS or TF2 but CS is shit and we all know that and not sure if TF2 has people playing it or just trading keys/hats lol).

Even with all the issues with this game, it is enjoyable and that is what matters. Everytime I log in, I have a good time. Haters can go find another MP game rather than visit BF4 threads and bitch about the game EVEN AFTER 9+ MONTHS OF RELEASE LOL!

Its not Battlefield since Bf2 days so its a cloned cod crap pos shooter.
its made for kids who buy anything.

Guys I am having trouble with high pings, donwloaded punkbuster and manually updated the BF4 support of it and now I am getting like 100-115 unlike before where it was like 240-298 something, I guess it was really the only solution to the high ping troubles with BF4 then..

Is it worth to buy the Premium? I only have plain BF4, do I get to have all the DLC or it wil come discounted when I buy the premium?

BATTLEFIELD 4 PREMIUM, is it worth it?

Aftre buying it all DLCs will be free for donwload?

Or comes with a discounted price vs full price DLCs without the Premium being purchased?

Or comes with a discounted price vs full price DLCs without the Premium being purchased?

It's worth it if you want all of the DLCs.
The DLC will never be free so it best to buy it now before more of the maps turn into ghost towns.

:eek:

Them's fightin' words! :D

I think BF 2142 was great game, my favorite in BF series, too bad it has that "BF2 mod" stigma attached to it to this day, but i do agree that "new" BF is not as good.
I think that it has to do more with people/players these days than anything else. Even if they manage to capture that magic from the early days in one of the next installments, i don't think players would appreciate it. Team work will always take a back seat to 12 897 guns, camo, unlocks and attachments...

You haven't played Call of Duty for a long time, have you?

That statement is so ignorant, it isn't even funny.

Dying around the corners had been pretty much fixed during that CTE patch, but I have to say that is back full force when DICE released the Dragon Teeth maps. Sigh...when are they going to figure this out? there has to be something inherently wrong with the code.

They had an article on the main BL screen about BF4 being used competitively? lol. Don't get me wrong I still like the game, but if they could just fix this one thing it would be much, much better.

Top three issues for me:

Dying behind cover
Hits not registering, shotguns especially
Snipers experience no real suppression

this.... i hadn't played in a couple months and when I come back, the shottie is damn near useless in close quarter combat.

Which shotgun? I ran a DBV-12 (last shottie) on the Market map and absolutely decimated people. I was also using full choke and flechette rounds to negate enemies body armor.

As I told my friend, you basically have to buy Premium if you want to play maps other than vanilla, because a majority of the servers running DLC maps will have maps from other DLC's in the rotation, meaning you cannot join them. It would be nice if a server let you join if you owned the map it was running at that moment, then booted you when it rotated to a map you didn't own, but I presume EA decided that that would lead to an even more negative customer experience.

My friend learned the hard way. He bought Dragon's Teeth DLC, then found he couldn't really find any servers that were running only Dragon's Teeth maps. He threw his arms up and bought Premium, but EA did refund him for the DLC after he described the problem.

As to whether Premium is worth it, that depends on how much you like the base game and how many hours you're playing it.

Last edited:

at this point i wouldn't even bother unless the game is a major time sink for you. i just play on vanilla only servers myself when i do play.

at this point i wouldn't even bother unless the game is a major time sink for you. i just play on vanilla only servers myself when i do play.

Wow, silk road is a great map. caspian is great, firestorm is great, propoganda isn't great but it's fun. All maps not in the vanilla game.

I figured I would give the game a try again, but man Origin is slow when downloading. Isn't there a way to pick the download server?

Top three issues for me:

Dying behind cover
Hits not registering, shotguns especially
Snipers experience no real suppression

Dying behind cover is being looked at in CTE by reducing the amount of time where damage frames are allowed to register. Right now the setting is very forgiving.

Back