Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Not sure it's a lock-on. Might be an aim-and-hold to generate full power weapon.

Assuming it will be available in multiple maps and with no bullet drop to account for, I have a feeling we are gonna see some hellishly long headshots.

Hmm, don't know what to think of that rail gun, there is no running away from that thing from what i've seen... granted i haven't seen a lot so far. Wonder what's the downside of using it.

It does take forever to reload. Anyway, I never could get CTE to work due to the APP Crash. Other people reported issues that kept them from loading too. So I would say that the mode is in late alpha or early beta form. Even when able to play, it was pretty unstable.

It does take forever to reload. Anyway, I never could get CTE to work due to the APP Crash. Other people reported issues that kept them from loading too. So I would say that the mode is in late alpha or early beta form. Even when able to play, it was pretty unstable.

It took me forever to figure it out. It kept asking me to install the new battlelog plugin, which I did several times. Then I realized Chrome was blocking it for some reason, so I unblocked it.

Then CTE would not load at all. I came across a lone post from T1gge from DICE in the CTE forum stating that you have to re-install. I'm assuming there is something substantially different between this and the CTE previously. Even while playing it would flash "Pre-release" and a bunch of red text on the screen in small lettering when CTE never had before.

So I uninstalled from Origin, refreshed my game list from the menu's, re-downloaded and reinstalled CTE (14GB download fuckin hell), then reinstalled the new battlelog plugin. BAM! Everything worked just as it should.

Yeah uninstall and re DL. Game is tits. Great big bouncy ones. Looks, runs and plays better than vanilla. Needs some balancing and tweaking but yeah. Rejoice.

I just watched the trailer, was that a Titan on the Hangar 21 map being build?

EDIT Hanger 21, not 42, the last of the new maps.

Last edited:
Then CTE would not load at all. I came across a lone post from T1gge from DICE in the CTE forum stating that you have to re-install. I'm assuming there is something substantially different between this and the CTE previously.

Yeah its been like that with CTE updates - you pretty much have to uninstall and re-download every time... Its plastered all over the home screen. :) And yes there's definitely something substantially different - the Final Stand maps.

Even while playing it would flash "Pre-release" and a bunch of red text on the screen in small lettering when CTE never had before.

This is because CTE never had prerelease maps before. They don't want the new DLC maps getting "reviewed" by the lame blogs while still in a prerelease state.

Last edited:
I just watched the trailer, was that a Titan on the Hangar 42 map being build?

That map is actually Giants of Karelia, and yes it has a hangar with mechs being built inside. DICE devs have stated however that no playable mechs will be in BF4. The timeline of the DLC seems to be as a precursor to 2142 where futuristic weapons and vehicles were still being experimented with.

I think the map is the best BF4 map so far, since its a return to the classic Battlefield type of map. If anyone remembers FuShe Pass in BF2, its like a snow capped version of FuShe but with fog and obviously much better graphics. Its awesome. And while its a big vehicle map, its also got some indoor areas for infantry-only combat.

No, looks at the video when it jumps to a map called Hangar 21. That is an f*ing Titan!

http://youtu.be/7KnArnofoOE?t=56s

Okay, let's try this again :) In the trailer, the building with mechs inside is actually the tail end of the Giants of Karelia preview. Once the trailer says "Hangar 21" from that point forward its the Hangar 21 map - which has a big ass hangar on the side of a mountain but no mechs in there at least that the trailer shows, and nobody's actually played the map yet to know what else is in there.

I guess its a little confusing since it transitions from the mech building on one map to the hangar on another map and makes it seem like its the same building.

Last edited:
No, looks at the video when it jumps to a map called Hangar 21. That is an f*ing Titan!

http://youtu.be/7KnArnofoOE?t=56s

Okay, let's try this again :) In the trailer, the building with mechs inside is actually the tail end of the Giants of Karelia preview. Once the trailer says "Hangar 21" from that point forward its the Hangar 21 map - which has a big ass hangar on the side of a mountain but no mechs in there at least that the trailer shows, and nobody's actually played the map yet to know what else is in there.
You are both right.

Giants of Karelia has the unfinished mechs.

Hangar 21 has the unfinished Titan.

Operation Whiteout has the hovertank prototypes, and one pilotable hovertank spawns inside the factory/hangar.

I have no idea what is special about Hammerhead yet. Maybe a prototype of the VTOL fighters/troop transports? I kind of got the vibe that its more of an aerial map with the choppers being shown. We will see.

Last edited:
Giants of Karelia is playing on the CTE right now.

It's pretty damn huge. Very vehicle oriented. Takes place in a river valley with a ton of hills, bridges, and a few caves.

The Mech Factory is massive enough to be its own map, but only carves out a small corner. More tunnels than I can count. It even has it's own PAC logo from 2142. All the Mechs and even the schematics on the wall look like the T-39 Bogatyr.

Hmm, don't know what to think of that rail gun, there is no running away from that thing from what i've seen... granted i haven't seen a lot so far. Wonder what's the downside of using it.

It's another Pay to Win weapon along with that weaponized mav gadget.

You are both right.

Giants of Karelia has the unfinished mechs.

Hangar 21 has the unfinished Titan.

Operation Whiteout has the hovertank prototypes, and one pilotable hovertank spawns inside the factory/hangar.

I have no idea what is special about Hammerhead yet. Maybe a prototype of the VTOL fighters/troop transports? I kind of got the vibe that its more of an aerial map with the choppers being shown. We will see.

I hope they aren't just "unfinished." If there is no Titan Mode in this DLC, I will be so so so so so disappointed.

Giants of Karelia is playing on the CTE right now.

It's pretty damn huge. Very vehicle oriented. Takes place in a river valley with a ton of hills, bridges, and a few caves.

The Mech Factory is massive enough to be its own map, but only carves out a small corner. More tunnels than I can count. It even has it's own PAC logo from 2142. All the Mechs and even the schematics on the wall look like the T-39 Bogatyr.

Yeah, the map is gigantic. Love how some parts of the map are borderline peaceful, while in others the action was non-stop for me.

Wrong. Those pickups won't work or appear on any other maps but the DLC maps. Which is why the forum is full of complaint threads about no new weapons (assault rifles etc) in the DLC.

Last edited:
Hangar 21 live for testing now (thought it says Giants of Karelia on the server browser - its a known bug)

Looks like this map is as close as we're going to get to a night map in BF4, it has a nice dark feel to it, certainly much better than the Death Valley map in BF3 Armored Kill where everything was just BLUE.

Last edited:
It shows as hangar 21 on a couple of them.

Yeah those are a couple straggling servers running yesterday's map that haven't been rebooted. You won't be able to join any of them due to version mismatch.

9/9 = Operation Whiteout
9/10 = Giants of Karelia (listed as Hangar 21 in server browser - known bug)
9/11 = Hangar 21 (listed as GoK in server browser - known bug)
9/12 = Hammerhead

Please stop with the pay to win bullshit. You have no clue what you are talking about and we have covered this multiple times before.

Having been apart of the CTE myself and having played these maps and used all the new stuff, let me clarify a few things.

The railgun is a battlefield pickup. Its available to *ANY PLAYER* playing that particular map. It is only available to use in the Final Stand DLC maps. I have confirmed it is NOT a lock on sniper rifle. It has a charging mechanism, and it takes about 2 seconds to fire, so you better make damn sure you got your aim right and hitting moving targets is a chore. It is slow as hell to reload, slow as hell to fire, has only 6 shots which you CANNOT pick up more ammo for, and the scope is around 6-8x zoom like the sniper rifles so you can't use it up close. It also has a massive purple muzzle flash which you can't get rid of and can be seen across the map. So if you shoot it once, everyone will be hunting you. It is a one shot kill anywhere on the body, high projectile speed, and will take out light armor (jeeps, choppers) with multiple shots. If your enemy is behind a turret, it has just enough damage to take out the turret and the enemy in one shot. Think of the railgun more like a RPG than a rifle.

The weaponized MAV is also a battlefield pickup. Its available to *ANY PLAYER* playing that particular map. It is only available to use in the Final Stand DLC maps. It has insanely shitty aim, flight time of a couple minutes at most, and the bullets do damage like BB's. It can also be easily shot down by any lock on missile since it doesn't have any countermeasures. It's also about the size of soldier, so it isn't hard to shoot it with any gun you can equip. The RAWR from Dragon's Teeth is a hell of a lot more effective than this thing.

If anything, these new devices are gimmicky troll weapons that are fun for a little bit, but get old quick.

Last edited:
Hangar 21 map from the Final Stand Pre-Release DLC is pretty amazing also. Its a night time map, but everything is still extremely well lit by the moonlight and all the base lights. Outside is a sniper haven, however anywhere a sniper might camp, there is zero cover. Mid to long range weapons dominate outdoors. 4x scopes might actually be useful. Inside the Titan hangar, everything is close quarters due to the clutter of equipment with the occasional hallway or catwalk that is long distance.

The Titan Hangar is massive. Multiple levels, catwalks, tunnels, and probably a few hundred meters in length by itself. It could easily be its own map. Its so big there are 2 flags in it to capture.

The levolution for this map is turning on the Titan's engines. There is an exhaust tunnel below where enemies can enter...you can fry them all.

The special prototype tech on this map is the Pod Launcher from 2142. The pods are prototypes and don't land properly yet. LMAO. You have to bail from them or you risk becoming a human cannonball. You can use them to launch yourself across the map to capture other flags. The sit right in front of the Titan Hangar aiming down the hill towards all the flags.

This map doesn't have a single LAV or Tank. Tons of snowmobiles and ATV's to get around. Very hilly and you can hide behind ridges. Transport and Attack choppers only, no little birds. This is amazingly balanced since it is infantry focused even with huge distances to run. No little birds racking up 50+ kill streaks on poor infantry. 2 fighter Jets also spawn, but they get little to do except shoot each other and the occasional chopper.

Last edited:
These are the best optimized and balanced maps that I have seen in BF4. There is hope for the future if they continue on this path. Fingers crossed bc it is EA but damn fine work on this one.

I would gladly buy a round for the CTE team. Props.

I am excited to see what this DLC brings. I will admit I have been critical of the previous DLC and honestly a bit disappointed in the execution. Maps not balanced, content for the sake of content, etc, despite having some cool new modes. All the talk of the new Final Stand though is thoroughly exciting.

I never really got into 2142 other than the demo, but this sounds intriguing (and would love a 2042, half BF4, half 2142, but I digress). I was a big fan of BF3's endgame and quite enjoyed scavenger, although it would appear the majority did not. Not expecting scavenger play, but I like the dissimilar era matching of weapon types.

My guess is that EA are strongly considering a 2142 reboot and are using this to generate interest and see if the $ will be there, and with enough content and CTE implementations I could see it. Here is to hoping anyway.

Thanks for the commentary CaptNumbNutz.

My guess is that EA are strongly considering a 2142 reboot and are using this to generate interest and see if the $ will be there, and with enough content and CTE implementations I could see it. Here is to hoping anyway.

I'm not so sure, or at least if so it wouldn't be for many years because DICE Sweden has been working on Battlefront which by all indications will be a Star Wars themed Battlefield. I think its more just the DICE LA team having a number of BF2/2142 guys and paying homage to the earlier titles, with a return to the large BF2 style maps and pre-2142 themes.

That said, I've been very impressed with what the L.A. team has done so far in cleaning up Sweden's mess so far during the CTE. Alan Kertz being out of the picture has been fantastic. They've been very attentive to new feature requests and feedback, they just seem to "get" Battlefield and its legacy. Yes they're still somewhat bound by the realities and constraints of 4 of the 5 platforms being consoles, but the fact they'd even consider things like bringing back some of the BF2 style flight physics for example is something that would've never happened under the Sweden team.

In other news, Hammerhead map is now live on CTE

Last edited:
I am excited to see what this DLC brings. I will admit I have been critical of the previous DLC and honestly a bit disappointed in the execution. Maps not balanced, content for the sake of content, etc, despite having some cool new modes. All the talk of the new Final Stand though is thoroughly exciting.

I never really got into 2142 other than the demo, but this sounds intriguing (and would love a 2042, half BF4, half 2142, but I digress). I was a big fan of BF3's endgame and quite enjoyed scavenger, although it would appear the majority did not. Not expecting scavenger play, but I like the dissimilar era matching of weapon types.

You are welcome. I'm glad my insight is helping some people.

As far as the DLC is concerned, I agree. This DLC is extremely well balanced. Massive maps, plenty of cover for the infantry while still allowing vehicles. No weapons or vehicles that throw balance out of whack (e.g. gunship, Mobile AA, or little birds). I won't hesitate to say that I am a user/abuser of those weapons, but my thoughts on those are if you can't beat 'em, join 'em because complaining about it rarely accomplishes anything and only leaves you more frustrated. I draw the line at hacks/cheats, but fortunately I can keep up with most of those jackasses without using them myself.

I know they have to be considering a 2142 reboot/sequel. They have no choice. They have watched COD become stale, and look what happened? COD: Future Warfare is changing things up with playstyle making it more like Quake/Unreal arena style shooter with exosuits and jetpacks to speed up the pace. EA tells DICE they have to have a new BF game every 2 years, they got to have something different. Right now they have made BF2, Bad Company, Bad Company 2, BF3, and BF4 all in the same timeline, with only BF2142 in the middle shaking things up considerably. If I had to guess, Bad Company 3 or BF2143 is next, they will have to shake it up a bit. In the meantime, they have SW Battlefront being developed as we speak.

I'm not so sure, or at least if so it wouldn't be for many years because DICE Sweden has been working on Battlefront which by all indications will be a Star Wars themed Battlefield. I think its more just the DICE LA team having a number of BF2/2142 guys and paying homage to the earlier titles, with a return to the large BF2 style maps and pre-2142 themes.

That said, I've been very impressed with what the L.A. team has done so far in cleaning up Sweden's mess so far during the CTE. Alan Kertz being out of the picture has been fantastic. They've been very attentive to new feature requests and feedback, they just seem to "get" Battlefield and its legacy. Yes they're still somewhat bound by the realities and constraints of 4 of the 5 platforms being consoles, but the fact they'd even consider things like bringing back some of the BF2 style flight physics for example is something that would've never happened under the Sweden team.
Based on what I have seen out of DICE L.A. so far, I wouldn't mind if they simply took over future BF development. They have mopped up just about every pile of shit that DICE Sweden has left behind. AFAIK, they are the ones running CTE now, they are the ones testing, they are the ones patching the game now, and they are the ones producing Final Stand. The game has only gotten better since they took over in May. Then again, I could be wrong on this since DICE L.A. was formerly Danger Close, the guys who made the turd MOH:Warfighter. We will see.

Like FuShe Pass on BF2! Can't wait to play these maps.

Giants of Karelia very much has a Fushe Pass vibe to it. Long, narrow, river valley, mountainous.

Last edited:
Based on what I have seen out of DICE L.A. so far, I wouldn't mind if they simply took over future BF development. They have mopped up just about every pile of shit that DICE Sweden has left behind. AFAIK, they are the ones running CTE now, they are the ones testing, they are the ones patching the game now, and they are the ones producing Final Stand. The game has only gotten better since they took over in May. Then again, I could be wrong on this since DICE L.A. was formerly Danger Close, the guys who made the turd MOH:Warfighter. We will see.

You're pretty much correct. They're running the CTE and doing the patching, and doing the DLC. Sweden's last map pack was Naval Strike (and China Rising before that), whereas the LA team did Second Assault, Dragon's Teeth and now Final Stand, plus a possible 6th DLC that's been hinted at but not officially confirmed. When Danger Close was shuttered, a lot of the employees were let go. The LA team consists of a few Danger Close employees that were brought back, a few transfers from the euro office, and a few new employees.

In any case, things do look much more promising than when BF4 was still in the euro office's hands and going nowhere fast because all the principles had checked out and already begun working on ME2 and Battlefront.

Last edited:
When is the CTE supposed to hit the liver servers?

They will hit the liver servers with a nice side of fava beans and a glass of chianti. :p

j/k....

No idea. The CTE patches for a bunch of the gameplay stuff is supposed to hit regular BF4 this month. Knowing DICE's propensity to release things on Tuesdays, I would guess next tuesday or the tuesday after. In it will be several changes to gameplay, including some rebalancing of weapons (most of it for the better IMHO), players will move more nimbly like they did in BF3, red dot sights will be easier to see, and hit markers will be more prominent and give you an indication of bullet spread.

That last one is very intriguing. When you hit a target now, your HUD no longer shows just a little white X. The longer you hold the trigger, the bigger and more spread out the X gets. In other words, the arms of the X start going out diagonally and grow slightly in size. Its extremely intuitive, and gives you a good idea on how much you should burst fire. It has helped me burst fire and I can even count the rounds now, knowing exactly when I should let off the trigger and not waste a single bullet to due to the gun's recoil. Also, since the damage models on some guns are tweaked and require another hit to get a kill, I'm actually using less ammunition due to this new hitmarker system.

As far as the Final Stand release...I have no idea when it is coming. I've heard rumors of September, October, and November. Since they have hinted so strongly about the Final Stand being a "Pre-release" and stating in the CTE forums that they are doing this "much earlier than usual", I'm betting Final stand won't be here till late October at the earliest.

You're pretty much correct. They're running the CTE and doing the patching, and doing the DLC. Sweden's last map pack was Naval Strike (and China Rising before that), whereas the LA team did Second Assault, Dragon's Teeth and now Final Stand, plus a possible 6th DLC that's been hinted at but not officially confirmed. .
Damn that explains a lot. The buggiest maps came from DICE Sweden. Naval Strike was a god damn nightmare the first month of release and China Rising had to have the Levolution removed due to bugs. Not only that, most of the patches right up until May were breaking just as much shit as they were fixing.

Last edited:
Well yeah. Dice LA is the outfit responsible for fixing the damn game. If they had originally coded the game..............

All Hail Dice LA. May your bowls overfloweth.

Bowls, not bowels. I want them to be happy, not farty.

That last one is very intriguing. When you hit a target now, your HUD no longer shows just a little white X. The longer you hold the trigger, the bigger and more spread out the X gets. In other words, the arms of the X start going out diagonally and grow slightly in size. Its extremely intuitive, and gives you a good idea on how much you should burst fire. It has helped me burst fire and I can even count the rounds now, knowing exactly when I should let off the trigger and not waste a single bullet to due to the gun's recoil. Also, since the damage models on some guns are tweaked and require another hit to get a kill, I'm actually using less ammunition due to this new hitmarker system.
g.

That's the old Rainbow Six system. I've always wondered why more games didn't adopt it, as it is very intuitive.

EA tells DICE they have to have a new BF game every 2 years, they got to have something different. Right now they have made BF2, Bad Company, Bad Company 2, BF3, and BF4 all in the same timeline, with only BF2142 in the middle shaking things up considerably. If I had to guess, Bad Company 3 or BF2143 is next, they will have to shake it up a bit. In the meantime, they have SW Battlefront being developed as we speak.

Hardline is next. DICE Sweden is working on Battlefront 3. There won't be a Battlefield 5, Battlefield 2143, or Bad Company 3 for at least two years, probably three. That's likely why hints of new DLC are cropping up; Battlefield 4 needs a longer playable life to fill the time gap.

Unless DICE LA is working on the next main Battlefield game themselves, that is.

For those of you who haven't played the CTE. Here are some gameplay videos of the Final Stand DLC.

Operation Whiteout
Giants of Karelia
Hangar 21
Hammerhead

Played Hammerhead tonight. It's another giant snowmap with a massive hill in the middle surrounded by a frozen lake. The massive hill in the middle Is a giant submarine base, great for CQB and where a lot of infantry will be. It gets a giant meh from me. No knew 2142 tech shows up on this map, just a couple spawns of the hovertank for each team. It's a relatively small map compared to the others, even though there are 6 flags total: 2 in the middle base, and 4 ringed around it. Nothing special really here.

Really don't care for Hammerhead. Chopper spawns are dumb here. I counted numerous people with sraws taking them out before anyone really took off.

And what's the deal with jets being able to fly half way across maps only to take out choppers taking off? LOL

Last edited:
Back