Battlefield 3 'Thunder Run' Trailer

its pretty obvious no one here has played bad company 2. nothing really looks different though i think the rounds have less drop which is very, very good.

im pretty sure i played both bad company titles and I can say that alot has changed :)

footage is real nice, but damn me for noticing the details: can someone explain to me why the ICTV cupola is moving while the tank commander is outside and watching? it's like the M16s/M4s without rear sights. also: at what distance did they engage the first wave of enemies? 400 meters?

I...I....I

*gasp*

I don't care what it takes, that game in Eyefinity is going to displace boobs.

Hmmm, is this getting more like Project Reality where there aren't any kill messages or X registrations when you hit the enemy?

Hmmm, is this getting more like Project Reality where there aren't any kill messages or X registrations when you hit the enemy?

This was a SP trailer. The MP footage still has hit registration and messages.

Hit registration is just wrong :S It allows you to kill people without knowing where they are :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Maybe the bullet has some sorta of transmitter that goes off when it hits human flesh lol

Damnit! I need a 2nd GTX 580 to push that eye candy on my 30"! :(

Okay so my 2600K and Tri-Fire will be good, If i needed to i will dump these 6970's for something else. Im sure there will be new cards out by Game Launch.

Canceled my Duke Nukem: BoS edition pre-order, and pre-ordered this.
I am full on erect right now, hopefully a customer does not walk into my office and make me have to get up to talk to them, that would be kind of off putting.

they would just think you were highly motivated, and respect you for that...

I absolutely cannot stand the arcade feel to these type of games. Like the CoD series with the small maps and perks that give you super human abilities. The maps are so small, you can guess where foot traffic will be and tomahawk players. It's just retarded. Sure, those games are fun and a great way to kill 20 - 30 mins at a time but for me, Battlefield has always had enough room on the maps and maintained enough realism that I felt I could project enough skill and strategy to kill more people than what could kill me. I typically can kill 2.5 to 1, sometimes 3 to 1. That's with a few different weapons. That's why I absolutely love the Battlefield series. One thing I did notice after watching this video about 10 times is, the tanks leave no tracks in the sand lol. But it's hard to notice unless you are really paying attention. Not that I'm a detail snob. My 1st ex-wife's fathers sisters ex husband was an A-10 pilot during the 1st gulf war and I sent him the link over facebook and asked for a comment. The only thing he said was that the M1 "heaves up a massive amount of debris" when it's 120mm fires due to the muzzle pressure. He thought that wasn't well represented when the tanks were at a stand-still. He said during movement the tanks would only be very briefly in that cloud of sand the main gun kicks up. He also said those 50 cal bullets love to ricochet all over the battlefield and he didn't see much of that. But it was a pre-alpha. Can you imagine the additional detail they will get added to final product? Can't wait. Looks amazing.

Yeah, I noticed a few things like that too, the freakin world disappears when the main gun goes off on an M1 when your behind it. I was expecting more realistic crew chat also, and firing procedures, then realized its not really a tank sim. more like,

TC: target Tank, loader load sabot!
loader: Up!
gunner: target identified! on the way!

thats simplified, and doesn't really fit in a game where you are really controlling the entire tank.

kept waiting for the reticle to settle on one of the enemy tanks and for the gunner to lase the target.... you don't lead your target, you lase the bugger and let the computer do the lead for you automagically, unless your fire control comp is down, then its oh shit time... funny thing is, M1's in real life are so deadly accurate with good crew, that it would not work in the game. we used to sit in the bleachers and watch everyone qualify when at gunnery at Grafenwoehr, moving firing tank, with a moving target, 600 or 700 meters away, rarely did anyone miss..... stationary targets at 1200 meters all day long, that was the longest ranges we could engage at then, no idea if the ranges have been extended these days.

This is the first time in a long while now that a new game got my worried if my GTX 295 can run it well. Haven't had this feeling for awhile. Not even Crysis 2 did had me thinking if my card is good enough.

hey cannon i was too a tank loader in germany back when the first gulf war was on. i was stationed in velseck and grafenwoer. but i didnt last long as i was transfered to drive the hemmetts. when i arrived in velseck i was with the 1-37th AD then went to i think 1-32nd AD. but anyways that tank seen reminded me of my tank days. best of times for sure.

3-35 armor here....Bamberg

Well, BF2 was the last game that I specifically bought a new video card for (X700). This will be the next game I'll specifically buy a video card for.

Probably will end up being something like a 7870 or GTX 660 or something.

ok.. i just know this thing is going to kill my laptop, Time to buy a new one :D

Yeah, some of these ex real life tankers will tell you, the targeting system on the M1 does not miss. They of course are the experts that should be speaking here but as long as the targeting system has a clear LOS, they can put several direct hits down range much further than portrayed in the game. I'm taking 800 yard kills. I'm sure the people working on BF3 have all the numbers right and of course, they have to simplify the experience to keep it fast moving, exciting and fun. As far as the targeting system goes, they had to greatly ... GREATLY reduce the real life accuracy of the tanks to keep it fun. Wouldn't be any fun if you never missed now would it? lol

Man, I don't think I've been so excited for a game launch in a long time.

hey cannon i was too a tank loader in germany back when the first gulf war was on. i was stationed in velseck and grafenwoer. but i didnt last long as i was transfered to drive the hemmetts. when i arrived in velseck i was with the 1-37th AD then went to i think 1-32nd AD. but anyways that tank seen reminded me of my tank days. best of times for sure.

I was a weekend warrior, aka Nasty Girl from 1996 to 2001. I was with the 2-123 Armor in KY when I started then moved to a Cav unit in Oregon. To this day I still love tanks and have very fond memories of them.

And just because it is a pet peeve of mine the firing order is:

TC: Gunner Sabot tank
Gunner: Identified
Loader: (after loading the sabot)Up
TC: Fire
Gunner:(as he is pulling the trigger)On the way

If done correctly that should take less then 5 seconds and in the heat of battle the Loader should have a round loaded in 3 seconds. And for those wondering, the reason the loader says up is there is a safety that he kicks up and it also notifies his TC and gunner that he is out of the way of the main gun. If not he goes squish.

Yeah, some of these ex real life tankers will tell you, the targeting system on the M1 does not miss. They of course are the experts that should be speaking here but as long as the targeting system has a clear LOS, they can put several direct hits down range much further than portrayed in the game. I'm taking 800 yard kills. I'm sure the people working on BF3 have all the numbers right and of course, they have to simplify the experience to keep it fast moving, exciting and fun. As far as the targeting system goes, they had to greatly ... GREATLY reduce the real life accuracy of the tanks to keep it fun. Wouldn't be any fun if you never missed now would it? lol

This is just going by my bad memory but the M1 could lase a target 2000 meters away but the main gun could easily shoot farther than that. But it isn't as easy as you are making it sound either. The tank isnt a smart missle which would continue to follow the target. The gunner still had to track the target and fire at the correct point. All the lase did was put the correct range into the computer so the gunner didn't have to worry about the ballistic tragectory. So you could still miss but you had alot more in your favor.

Games are like movies.

Take the true story and modify it to be watchable as a movie.
Take real life situations and modify it to be a game.

That's the formula. Everything can't be exact, it will only drag the pace of the game, introducing additional steps of gamer accessibility that are unnecessary.

They used tanks to take out a rocket battery, but used A10's to soften the base that housed the rocket battery - the A10's do runs on the base about 50ft from the rockets that are in plain view. That doesn't make any sense what so ever from a strategic point of view.

considering there was a larger zoa, the A-10s were probably providing cas there and were called in once artillery pinned down the tank group. Also, not 100% sure put when you paint a target you need to keep aiming at the same spot, otherwise the A-10s will follow whatever you're aiming at, that's why they missed the mrl's.

anyway. the game looks badass even pre-alpha

Damnit! I need a 2nd GTX 580 to push that eye candy on my 30"! :(

Do it. My 2 580's are PERFECT for my 30" - not too much, not too little... for now. Nice headroom on most games, but a couple I can slow the card down with.

Ended up stepping up from 2 570s which were NOT enough, even OC'd.

2 580s + 2560x1600 = match made in heaven (so far in 2011 anyway :) )

This is just going by my bad memory but the M1 could lase a target 2000 meters away but the main gun could easily shoot farther than that. But it isn't as easy as you are making it sound either. The tank isnt a smart missle which would continue to follow the target. The gunner still had to track the target and fire at the correct point. All the lase did was put the correct range into the computer so the gunner didn't have to worry about the ballistic tragectory. So you could still miss but you had alot more in your favor.

The gunner has to track a target but not lead a target. It Fire Control System uses the range and the rate at which you are tracking the target to determine where the target will be and add on the proper lead for you.

Someone else said it would be 'too easy' if they simulated how accurate it actually is, but I think the game would still be fun if they did this right, I always had fun in gunnery. And I'd rather look at their fake FLIR than at a real FLIR any day :)

The gunner has to track a target but not lead a target. It Fire Control System uses the range and the rate at which you are tracking the target to determine where the target will be and add on the proper lead for you.

Thank you, I couldn't find the correct wording earlier. In layman's terms if sights are on the target you should hit it.

^^But you still had to keep the reticle on the target if it was moving.

(sorry hit post too quickly)

Back