• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Battlefield 3 Preview Performance Preview @ [H]

At 6036x1200 my 6970 gets me 27-32 fps on high will all AA/AF turned off, HBAO on in multiplayer (11.10 preview 3 drivers). It's playable, but knowing it's less than 30 at times bothers me.

It's paired up with a i7 920 @ 3.9 ghz 12gb ram.

I want to get another 6970 but I am worried about the stuttering. I also think that what I am lacking is vram, not necessarily gpu horsepower.... I wish the 7000 series would come out already! With 4gb of memory!

Any word on [H] doing some eyefinity testing? This site has always been my goto site for that kind of benching.
 
Finally a game that forces me to upgrade my ageing GTX 295 :eek:
 
I had no problem pulling away. At full max on my q9550 @ 3.8ghz, 8gb ram, 6970 @ 925/1450 2GB, I get about 40fps average. That ultra everything and 4x/16x. Cutting back to 2x/8x I get 60fps.
 
At 6036x1200 my 6970 gets me 27-32 fps on high will all AA/AF turned off, HBAO on in multiplayer (11.10 preview 3 drivers). It's playable, but knowing it's less than 30 at times bothers me.

It's paired up with a i7 920 @ 3.9 ghz 12gb ram.

I want to get another 6970 but I am worried about the stuttering. I also think that what I am lacking is vram, not necessarily gpu horsepower.... I wish the 7000 series would come out already! With 4gb of memory!

Any word on [H] doing some eyefinity testing? This site has always been my goto site for that kind of benching.

My 2 new monitors come on thursday, I'm hoping 2x6970s can run all 3 at at least high.
 
For those interested in surround performance, my rig is running 5870 x 1200 "ultra settings" with fps between 35-50 and vram useage at around 2300MB on a 64 player server.
 
...I am having major issues with the key bindings. I'm left handed, so I always have to re-arrange all the bindings. At this point it's pretty much unplayable for me as the keys I have assigned won't do the required actions. Checking EA's forums, I can see i'm not the only one with key binding issues. So unless you use the WASD setup, you may want to hold off unless you can write a macro to reprogram your keyboard.

Yeah keybinding was rubbish in the beta.....of course all complaints were met by the standard reply "it's only the beta".....and from what you say guess what...no change.

Almost didn't preorder because of this but was swayed by the "it's only the beta clan"....huummph.
 
Yeah keybinding was rubbish in the beta.....of course all complaints were met by the standard reply "it's only the beta".....and from what you say guess what...no change.

Almost didn't preorder because of this but was swayed by the "it's only the beta clan"....huummph.

With most devs, "It's only a beta" in english means, "this is what the full game will be like".
 
Brent/Kyle - Great article as always. I'd like to throw in a vote for some Eyefinity data!

For those interested in surround performance, my rig is running 5870 x 1200 "ultra settings" with fps between 35-50 and vram useage at around 2300MB on a 64 player server.

Have they fixed the HUD/chat stuff since the beta? I had it at opposite corners of my screen to the extent I got dizzy looking back and forth - I was hoping they'd put it all on the center monitor like BC2
 
With most devs, "It's only a beta" in english means, "this is what the full game will be like".

Definitely still some concerns, but I was actually pretty happy with the improvements implemented in the release relative to the beta.

Just like the previous Battlefield games, I'm sure it will take a few weeks/months to get it to a stage where (mostly) everyone's happy.
 
once cap is out and they fix the multimonitor issues then I'll def be happy.
 
Just thought I'd chime in w/ my performance.

Phenom 2 X4 925 stock 2.8GHz
8GB RAM
Single Radeon 5850

Running the game at all Ultra settings, with FXAA on high, HBAO and 50% motion blur. No MSAA. 1920x1200 rez. AMD 11.9 drivers.

Game is running smooth and playable. Unsure of the framerates, but it feels like 30-40FPS. Played through the first level of single player, and about an hour of multi.
 
Last edited:
Do you mean Phenom II X4 925? I'd be surprised if an AMD dual core could hold 40fps in the title to be honest.
 
I'm getting a strange video issue which I never had in the beta. I updated to the latest drivers from yesterday (Nvidia) for my 570 @ 1080p @ Ultra settings. I get this odd 'snapshot' that is visible when I spawn and run around. I will spawn, look up and there's some sort of siloette of the trees and background all over my sky in black and sometimes this is just a little band on top of the screen and a couple of times it was 2/3rds of my screen. I've also seen this in the 'metro' like levels except the windows are all black, making it annoying with all of the sniper wanna-be's up there.

Anybody else seen this? I can try reverting back to the beta drivers I was using during the BF3 beta without this issue after work.
 
I'm getting 45-50 in SP. 1080p ultra 4xMSAA.

i2600k @ 4.4GHz
Single GTX 570 @ stock
8GB DDR3

I'm assuming the GPU is bottlenecking me.
 
Will be interesting to see some CPU scaling tests. I may take the time to overclock my i7 920 out of stock.
 
What are you guys using to take screenshots? Origin has no screenshot feature like Steam so I just run Origin and BF3 through Steam so that I can use F12 to take screenshots and upload them to Steam Cloud. Are you using FRAPS or something for these ones?
 
Okay I was definitely wrong about fxaa not doing anything, it most certainly does, and at a negligible performance hit. The thing that bugs me about it though is that everything looks a lot blurrier overall, almost like that morphological AA you can use with AMD, though not as bad.
 
FXAA is far superior to MLAA imo for image quality. Finally an nvidia feature that's both accessible to all users, and one that's actually beneficial with almost no drawbacks. I'm impressed with it, to be honest.
 
The thing that bugs me about it though is that everything looks a lot blurrier overall, almost like that morphological AA you can use with AMD, though not as bad.

That's the downside of all post-AA without subpixel precision. There are some new types of Post-AA being played with by different developers(check out Beyond3D's forums), so I'd expect that eventually they'd come up with one that negates that and supplants MSAA,
 
Which options hit the frame rate the hardest? I find on my rig 1920x1200 on ultra is playable but in the 30's. Using Auto, which is basically high with some ultra stuff, gets me into the 60's. I'm wondering if there is one or two things I can turn down and leave everything else on ultra and still maintain 45+ fps?

Also, anyone else find once you get past the "wow, this game looks nice" feeling the campaign is pretty drab?
 
Turn off Deferred MSAA. Other than that, HBAO/SSAO are intensive, and you can play around with motion blur and the amount.
 
Still going to hold out for a few more weeks to see if it comes to Steam... i played the beta and loved it.
 
Still going to hold out for a few more weeks to see if it comes to Steam... i played the beta and loved it.

I think maybe 2 or 3 years time it might, but unlikely before then. Wait and see if Origin has failed first. While it still lives and breathes I don't think you'll see BF3 on steam, or at least not until BF3's successor has been released.
 
Supposedly this "unofficial"cap 11.9 Cap 4 fixes stutter in Battlefield 3!! Try em if you have these games.

UNOFFICIAL 11.9 CAP4 - This CAP was not provided directly by AMD
AMD Catalyst Application Profile - 11.9 CAP4 (Release Notes)

New profiles added with this release:

Battlefield 3 - Provides great CrossFire scaling and resolves stuttering issues when running in CrossFire mode.
Deus Ex Missing Link: Improves CrossFire performance
F1 2011: Improves CrossFire performance
Dead Island: Improves CrossFire performance
Batman Arkham City (DX9 version): Improves CrossFire performance
NBA 2012: Disables CrossFire
 
Just got it today. $50 on amazon via direct download, then march that game code directly over to origin and download from there. Took about 90 minutes to download 10gb, not horrible. Will play with more after work.

Phenom II 955 @ 4ghz, Geforce GTX 460 @ 835/2045, 8gb ddr3 1600
 
brent

can we maybe get some older card in the review? (hd 5870)

what i am seeing on other sites is the 5870 is performing better then a 6950. but i cant trust those other sites.
 
I'll wait for the official CAP to test with it.

Over at rage 3d they say these are official only they are leaked as AMD wasn't going to release them yet, however I completely understand. To the capacity of writing a article for accuracy you should only use the official caps as many users may shy away from these. So far members of this forum are saying that these caps are amazing.
 
brent

can we maybe get some older card in the review? (hd 5870)

what i am seeing on other sites is the 5870 is performing better then a 6950. but i cant trust those other sites.
At 1920x1200 this is normal. At 2560x1600 the reverse is true.
 
Getting really good performance with the 11.10 P3 drivers (80+ FPS on Caspian) with FXAA and Ultra settings + AO on low.

Was having some weird problems with crossfire not working again, but after an uninstall/driver sweep and the latest ones, it's working better than ever.

Also, some others have said it, but the sound in this game is amazing, especially through a good pair of headphones.
 
I'm running dual GTX 580 cards. Is anyone else having problems getting the game to start using surround gaming on three 1920x1200 monitors? When I try to start a game my monitors go blank, then they alternate on and off until they each go to sleep, then they will wake up again with a black screen until finally I get a DX error and I can see windows. I'm running win 7 64.
 
Back
Top